• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Prime Minister:"We need to stand against gamergate and video games misogyny"

• Thread starter Deleted member 126221
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
When Pelletier asked him directly if he was a feminist, Trudeau said he was “proud to be a feminist.”

“Yes, Yes. I am a feminist. Proud to be a feminist. My mom raised me to be a feminist. My father raised me, he was a different generation but he raised me to respect and defend everyone’s rights, and I deeply grounded my own identity in that, and I am proud to say that I am a feminist,” he said during a portion of the interview that was not aired. “The things we see online, whether it is issues like gamergate or video games misogyny in popular culture, it is something that we need to stand clearly against.”

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/federal...ities-for-causing-violence-against-women.html

The original interview was by Le Devoir journalist Francine Pelletier. You can find the video here: http://www.ledevoir.com/entrevue-avec-justin-trudeau-sur-la-question-des-femmes

-------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Looks like The Star slightly mis-quoted the interview. The exact quote is: "The things we see online, whether it is issues like gamergate IN video games or mysigyny in popular culture, it is something that we need to stand clearly against." You can find it in the video above at around 7:48.

Looking at some reactions in the thread, I think I also need to point out that this is in no way a promise to take political action. It is ONLY a quote from a campaign interview about women issues where Trudeau states his opinion. Nothing more.

trudeau da gawd

image.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, I saw Twitter abuzz about this and was laughing hard at all the screenshots of people angered that Canada is against GamerGate. Still laughing now.

Keep doing what you're doing Canada, you're doing great.

something-something "politicizing the issue"

Nah but, good for him. We need people in positions of power to take a stand and acknowledge that this isn't right, no matter what the original intention of this movement was (I don't believe the whole "ethics in games journalism" angle, but that's just my ignorant opinion), it's just a vector for misogyny and general buffoonery...actually I take that back, because people are genuinely being hurt and threatened and having their lives impacted over this shit.

MutFox

Banned
Yep, currently pretty happy with our new Prime Minister.
Hope he turns to be a good role model for many Canadians.

L Thammy

Dude Canada. You guys are on a roll. Congrats! It's like the US without the South and far too cold.

I would think Ottawa would be complaining about the heat this year.

canada is an elaborate SJW false-flag operation and the entire country never actually existed in the first place

Have you ever noticed how all off Canadian Prime Ministers still have to answer to the Queen?
More proof that it's really the men that have to fight for equal rights.

Guess who have something to say on this.

BuzEKdi.png
Say what you will, it's nice Dyack's about to give back the several millions worth of Canadian Government funding he blew on Too Human and X-Men: Destiny.

You're all reading that tweet wrong. Dyack is saying he is against gamer gate and wants to talk to the prime minster about the issues.
It's been awhile since I've seen his name come up, but if it's anything like the Derek Smart stuff recently I'm pretty sure Dyack really did try and talk up GamerGate to try and find some short-lived relevancy through them.

JayEH

You're all reading that tweet wrong. Dyack is saying he is against gamer gate and wants to talk to the prime minster about the issues.

Honestly, there isn't that much problem in, at least Vancouver, when it comes to this.

Feels like Trudeau should actually check if there was a problem in Canada before saying something like this. Seems more of a problem occurring in America than Canada.

marrec

Banned
About time someone in real power call out Gators for what they are.

Canadian PM seems more concerned about women in gaming culture than the games industry is. Fucking sad y'all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Makes a lot of sense Canada would be taking issues like this seriously considering how many studios operate there. Good on him.

marrec

Banned
Honestly, there isn't that much problem in, at least Vancouver, when it comes to this.

Feels like Trudeau should actually check if there was a problem in Canada before saying something like this. Seems more of a problem occurring in America than Canada.
It's an Internet problem that isn't localized to any specific geographic location.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Didn't a new Margaret Atwood novel just drop, too?

Canada putting in work

cocopuffs

Banned
ehhhh maybe he really shouldn't be taking a stance on something as specific as this. seems weird to have the pm reference gamer gate.

Top Bottom