• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Crash Team Racing 2010

ffdgh

How relevant is Crash on the market today though? He hasn't had a game in awhile and guys from his genre of platformers aren't exactly tearing through the sales figures since most people want multiplayer as a selling point. Kart Racing could probably have worked alright for multiplayer to get around that and all , but the point I'm really trying to make here is that the franchise name itself isn't really one I think holds a whole lot of weight anymore on the market to sell spinoff titles with.

Plus didn't we already have Mod Nation Racers, Blur and Sonic All Stars racing going around the market in 2010? It may have just been something they shelved due to market saturation.

saturation has nothing on nostalgia....usually anyway

on topic this hurts.....

Exentryk

Just add non region locked online functionality to the original CTR and it will rock.

Does Mario Kart have online multiplayer?

TheOGB

Banned
How relevant is Crash on the market today though? He hasn't had a game in awhile and guys from his genre of platformers aren't exactly tearing through the sales figures since most people want multiplayer as a selling point. Kart Racing could probably have worked alright for multiplayer to get around that and all , but the point I'm really trying to make here is that the franchise name itself isn't really one I think holds a whole lot of weight anymore on the market to sell spinoff titles with.

Plus didn't we already have Mod Nation Racers, Blur and Sonic All Stars racing going around the market in 2010? It may have just been something they shelved due to market saturation.
It's Activision

do you really think they shelved it due to market saturation

Crash Team Racing for PS1 is better than Mario Kart 64.

*runs*
What are you running from? Mario Kart 64 sucked

dreamfall

I'd kill for an HD Remake of CTR with online multiplayer and leaderboards. It was one of those games even my older sister played when we were younger. Hell, when it was re-released as a PS1 classic, playing on the PSP still felt glorious.

Did the Super Star Kartz game turn out any good? I'm genuinely curious- like some, I definitely enjoyed this way better than Mario Kart 64.

Rlan

We were in talks to do this, given we did Madagascar Kartz. In fact, when we first started talking to Activision about Madagascar Kartz it was actually supposed to cover more Dreamworks franchises but then they scaled it back (though it did include Shrek and Monsters vs Aliens characters and tracks). We ended up doing Madagascar Kartz from scratch in about 7 months across PS3, 360, and Wii for a very modest budget (it was a "value" title). It sold 1.2m units from the last report I've seen, and made Activision a ton of money.

Of course, rather than have us roll just onto a Dreamworks "sequel", they wouldn't give it to us unless we took on something else they wanted to farm out which we didn't want to touch (budget way too low and timeframe too short for us to do a quality game even by budget standards). So we walked away from it all.

Unfortunately, the contract we cut with Activision meant they had no source code or assets for the Madagascar game from us. So they had to build the Dreamworks game including all assets from scratch. It reviewed lower than our game.

So shortsighted. We were in a great position tech/asset wise and actually (strangely) really interested in doing a Madagascar Kartz "sequel", even given the paltry budget it would have had.

Was Blood Drive before or after Madagascar Kartz? I mean that's also a driving title Activision published by you guys.

strafer

So, you're playing a little Playstation, huh? That's whack. Playstation is whack. 'Sup with the whack Playstation, 'sup?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Was Blood Drive before or after Madagascar Kartz? I mean that's also a driving title Activision published by you guys.

After , released about a year later. Though the Dreamworks Cartz thing came after that again

Exentryk

Was anyone ever able to figure out how to play CTR online with people, be it using Emulators/patches or what not? I've heard of people claiming that they've found ways but nothing concrete.

It'd be awesome if it worked. And I'm sure there'd be a few still willing to play this.

EDIT - Finally got Online play working. We played it last night, and there was hardly any latency issues. We were on the same continent however, but still, playing CTR online is pretty epic :D
If interested - See setup here or message me.

Top Bottom