• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Comments on Inafune's Departure

duckroll

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/02/capcom_on_inafune_departure/

Regarding how Inafune's departure came about, Capcom said: "With the harshness of the current market, we felt that there was the need for some fundamental reforms to the development structure. During the preparation phase for these structural reforms, Mr. Inafune had desires for where he'd like to progress as a creator, and as a company we accepted this, resulting in the announcement."

In statements shared at last week's financial briefing (click here for a Japanese PDF), Chairman and CEO Kenzo Tsujimoto listed Katsuhiko Ichii as Capcom's newly appointed head of development.

Capcom has made Inafune's departure completely official, removing him from its corporate officer page.

Inafune's title was "Head of R&D Management Group and Consumer Games R&D Division and Contents Management Division." At the corporate officer's page, Nobuyuki Matsushima is now listed as Head of Consumer Games R&D Division. He was previously Deputy Head of Consumer Games R&D Division. Ichii is listed as "Head of Consumer Entertainment Business Management Group and R&D Management Group." He was previously "Head of Consumer Entertainment Business Management Group and Consumer Games Business Division."

Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi has also been placed on the corporate officers list. Takeuchi is listed as "Deputy Head of Consumer Games R&D Division and General Manager of R&D Production Department"

Ridley327

Himuro said:
What are Ichii's credentials?
I'm sure someone will find something on him, but the only thing a quick Google search brings up is that he was the guy who explained why MH3 ended up on the Wii.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
first part is gold :lol

Mr. Inafune had desires for where he'd like to progress as a creator, and as a company we accepted this, resulting in the announcement."

Boney said:
Still can't believe they put Takeuchi as front man.
First, he's second-in-command.
Second, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Himuro said:
What are Ichii's credentials?
Used to be:
  • Head of Consumer Entertainment Business Management Group
  • Head of Consumer Games Business Division

nemesun

In another news, I have been appointed as Capcom's head of Slacking Division and Consumer Procrastinating Department (CPD).

So one of the suits is running things instead of a game creator.

Ordinarily I'd say that's a bad thing, but Inafune was trying too hard to be a marketer and figure out what the market wants instead of being a creator. If Capcom's going to take that approach, they might as well be led by someone who's better at figuring out what the market wants than Inafune was.

Canova

Banned
With Inafune gone from Capcom, is there any way DmC being canceled? This is the more important question. Can they still scrap the project off and restart it over with their internal team?

LiK

canova said:
With Inafune gone from Capcom, is there any way DmC being canceled? This is the more important question. Can they still scrap the project off and restart it over with their internal team?
Don't think so.

canova said:
I'm sure the project is still quite early, but realistically speaking, no, since money has already been sunk into it and Capcom can't really afford the waste right now. They may lower the funding for the project and hurry along its release date so they can get on to the next thing, though.

MYE

canova said:

No

KingJ2002

Prime Blue said:
First, he's second-in-command.
Second, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Used to be:
  • Head of Consumer Entertainment Business Management Group
  • Head of Consumer Games Business Division

gundamkyoukai said:
Don't know much about Katsuhiko Ichii lets see where he takes Capcom.

considering his background in the business division... it seems like the focus will now be is maximizing profits rather than taking risks.

it seems like Inafune was right about how Capcom operates... business first, creativity second.

Canova

Banned
LiK said:
Don't think so.

badcrumble said:
I'm sure the project is still quite early, but realistically speaking, no, since money has already been sunk into it and Capcom can't really afford the waste right now. They may lower the funding for the project and hurry along its release date so they can get on to the next thing, though.

MYE said:

why not? wouldn't it better off for them to cut their losses now and bail? rather than keep continuing, because that game, 190% chance, will bomb.

Deszaras

Neo Member
Slightly confused.. did Capcom fire Inafune or did he leave voluntarily?

From the OP's message, it sounded like Inafune wanted to grow as a creator, within the company, but it did not line up with Capcom's vision and had to let him go.

Llyranor

He gets lots of hate, but one thing I like about Jun Takeuchi is how co-op-centric the two games he produced were. As a co-op gamer, I approve!

Askia47

KingJ2002 said:
considering his background in the business division... it seems like the focus will now be is maximizing profits rather than taking risks.

it seems like Inafune was right about how Capcom operates... business first, creativity second.

yet it seems like many people didnt like the risks capcom was taking. Just another way to look at it.

canova said:
why not? wouldn't it better off for them to cut their losses now and bail? rather than keep continuing, because that game, 190% chance, will bomb.
You're assuming Capcom is going to make a good business decision.

Llyranor said:
He gets lots of hate, but one thing I like about Jun Takeuchi is how co-op-centric the two games he produced were. As a co-op gamer, I approve!
Producers at CAPCOM are not the ones to make design decisions. People need to realize that already.

Askia47 said:
yet it seems like many people didnt like the risks capcom was taking. Just another way to look at it.

Exactly. Perhaps with this new guy running the ship, Capcom will start making some logical decisions for once.

PSGames

canova said:

Just how do you know it's going to bomb? I remember a similar backlash towards RE5 and it wound up being the best selling one in the series. A good demo will do wonders for the title.

Askia47 said:
this a thousand time. Capcom has gone insane in the last two years, hopefully they get back on track.

PSGames said:
Just how do you know it's going to bomb? I remember a similar backlash towards RE5 and it wound up being the best selling one in the series. A good demo will do wonders for the title.
ah yes

ninja theory

the kings of good demos

Canova

Banned
PSGames said:

I finished Enslaved, and that's enough demo of NT shallow combat game

KingJ2002

Askia47 said:

Yeah... I can agree with that. This year many big budget titles that Capcom advertised fairly well (Lost Planet 2, Dark Void, etc.) bombed... from a business perspective. If you're going to invest heavily... put it in the right brands... or get the right studio behind it to make sure the game is properly made... seeing their TGS lineup... they're doing just that.

I honestly think this is a good move... in my eyes Capcom has been doing right by listening to fans recently. The only place where they're screwing up is in trying to cater to the western crowd only... which seems like it was influenced by Inafune who hates where the Japanese market is.

canova said:
I finished Enslaved, and that's enough demo of NT shallow combat game

Ninja Theory is the lead developer the game... but it's a joint project with CPS 4... so while the game may have a new look and a more euro feel... Capcom will make sure it doesnt lose it's identity.

Boney said:
Easy there sweety pie.

I was going by this title since I haven't been following closely.

Regardless he still got a big promotion no?
I'm just majorly pissed at all the baseless Takeuchi hate going on lately. People are acting like he made decisions he just isn't qualified to make in his role as producer. At CAPCOM, the management, supervisors and game directors have the control over which direction a title or series will take. Producers are just there to handle the budgets and to make sure that everything proceeds smoothly.

badcrumble said:

You never ever sign a contract for anything where by you can get paid less than the agreed upon amount in the contract. The only thing they could possibly lower the spend on is the marketing.

Prime Blue said:
I'm just majorly pissed at all the baseless Takeuchi hate going on lately. People are acting like he made decisions he just isn't qualified to make in his role as producer. At CAPCOM, the management, supervisors and game directors have the control over which direction a title or series will take. Producers are just there to handle the budgets and to make sure that everything proceeds smoothly.
I don't think it's entirely baseless if you look at how Lost Planet 1/2 and RE5 were handled. Arguably a lot of the creative control was in Takeuchi's hands, and he's certainly generally seen as the 'author' of these projects, as far as I know.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
I don't think it's entirely baseless if you look at how Lost Planet 1/2 and RE5 were handled. Arguably a lot of the creative control was in Takeuchi's hands, and he's certainly generally seen as the 'author' of these projects, as far as I know.

I kinda agree. It always struck me that Takeuchi had much more interest in exploring co-op and multiplayer gameplay in projects he was involved in. Could it be a coincidence that he produced and promoted projects which had that slant? Sure. But I think it's more logical that he encouraged the teams to explore those avenues, while Inafune had different priorities in mind for the projects he really cared about.

Dali

KingJ2002 said:
Ninja Theory is the lead developer the game... but it's a joint project with CPS 4... so while the game may have a new look and a more euro feel... Capcom will make sure it doesnt lose it's identity.

We've still yet to find out exactly how hands-on, the Japanese help will be.

or

30fps.

Take whichever response you'd like.

evangd007

canova said:

The brass are pro Westernization too. Don't think that Inafune leaving will change this approach. I actually expect it to get worse. Inafune knew that there was a place on both sides of the ocean for Eastern style games (Mega Man 9 and 10, Street Fighter 4, Okamiden, hell even MML3) and a place for Eastern focused games as well (Monster Hunter). But there may a shift where Eastern style games developed internally try to be more Western, like RE5 and LP2.

duckroll said:
I kinda agree. It always struck me that Takeuchi had much more interest in exploring co-op and multiplayer gameplay in projects he was involved in. Could it be a coincidence that he produced and promoted projects which had that slant? Sure. But I think it's more logical that he encouraged the teams to explore those avenues, while Inafune had different priorities in mind for the projects he really cared about.
Right. I mean, people can't generally name a director for any of those three games, unless they mistakenly name Takeuchi - and the notion that he's the 'author' is one that both he and Capcom have actively promoted.

Canova

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
Yeah... I can agree with that. This year many big budget titles that Capcom advertised fairly well (Lost Planet 2, Dark Void, etc.) bombed... from a business perspective. If you're going to invest heavily... put it in the right brands... or get the right studio behind it to make sure the game is properly made... seeing their TGS lineup... they're doing just that.

I honestly think this is a good move... in my eyes Capcom has been doing right by listening to fans recently. The only place where they're screwing up is in trying to cater to the western crowd only... which seems like it was influenced by Inafune who hates where the Japanese market is.

your post implies that NT is the right studio for DMC franchise? You do know NT is a mediocre studio at best right?

badcrumble said:
duckroll said:
badcrumble said:
Right. I mean, people can't generally name a director for any of those three games, unless they mistakenly name Takeuchi - and the notion that he's the 'author' is one that both he and Capcom have actively promoted.
As far as I know, he has been responsible for the direction the story in RE5 took (wrapping old storylines up), but that's about it. If there are any interviews that show he had a much larger influence, feel free to point them out because so far, I really think much of it can be attributed to Anpo and Ueda.

KingJ2002

Dali said:
We've still yet to find out exactly how hands-on, the Japanese help will be.

or

30fps.

Take whichever response you'd like.

you're right... but we will never know until the final outcome of the project.... even with the frame rate.

So far we've seen a trailer that showcases a new direction for the series. The game could surprise everyone and be locked in at 60fps... and maybe Capcom will help to get it there.

a lot of questions marks right now... but until Capcom decides to show it again... we can only speculate.... and I'm trying to be optimistic since i love the series.

canova said:
your post implies that NT is the right studio for DMC franchise? You do know NT is a mediocre studio at best right?

This is the first time we've seen them work on something that has a proven track record... or better yet... a blueprint as to how the game is made... they went crazy on the design... but I doubt that they will take this game and make it anything less than a devil may cry game.

The test is to see if they can make it better than DMC 4.

I believe they can...

I also believe that any studio... under the right leadership can come out to make hits... look at Nintendo and what they did with Rare, Left Field, NST, etc.

if Capcom can give ninja theory the right amount of time and resources... they can make this game a masterpiece. If this game is plagued with unrealistic deadlines and a low budget... well... i expect crap.

Kittonwy

Banned
badcrumble said:

If they miss a milestone (which isn't a far fetched possibility), Capcom can pull the rug right out from under Ninja Theory's feet and have an internal team take over.
Indifferent2.gif

KingJ2002 said:
This is the first time we've seen them work on something that has a proven track record... or better yet... a blueprint as to how the game is made... they went crazy on the design... but I doubt that they will take this game and make it anything less than a devil may cry game.

The test is to see if they can make it better than DMC 4.

I believe they can...

I also believe that any studio... under the right leadership can come out to make hits... look at Nintendo and what they did with Rare, Left Field, NST, etc.

if Capcom can give ninja theory the right amount of time and resources... they can make this game a masterpiece. If this game is plagued with unrealistic deadlines and a low budget... well... i expect crap.

Have you been following the news about it at all? There's enough evidence to assume the game will suck even if we ignore NT's track record (UE3, focusing on narrative in interviews, etc.).

Kittonwy said:
If they miss a milestone (which isn't a far fetched possibility), Capcom can pull the rug right out from under Ninja Theory's feet and have an internal team take over.
Indifferent2.gif
Ninja Theory will deliver an unfinished product rather than missing a milestone, all while claiming that it's ready. All this has happened before, and will happen again.

KingJ2002

cosmicblizzard said:
Have you been following the news about it at all? There's enough evidence to assume the game will suck even if we ignore NT's track record (UE3, focusing on narrative in interviews, etc.).

yes I have... and ultimately it comes down to playing the game when it's released.

you can read all you want about the differences from past titles... but until you play it... you will never know if it's good or bad.

let's see what they can do before you pass judgement.

Top Bottom