• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom - Famitsu interview on Resident Evil 7

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://m.play-asia.com/famitsu-inte...-evil-7-is-about-65-percent-complete/5f/747wj

there's an interview on RE7 from famitsu

It's been 4 years since we saw a numbered Resident Evil game, when did you begin developing RE7?

Nakanishi: Well we began everything to do with the game around about February 2014, so a little over 2 years.

Kawada: The number one developer Mr Takeuchi Jun (the main developer for the Resident Evil franchise who later became a producer for Resident Evil 5) was the one who came up with the plan to create RE7.

I have some many questions regarding the new game, but primarily at what time is this game set?

Kawada: I can't go in-depth at this time, all I will say is that it is set after the events of Resident Evil 6.
We all decided to go back to its roots to design a "complete horror experience", although, we wanted to show the weakness of the main character being your average person who is thrown into this nightmare not knowing what to do or what lies ahead, that is the main concept of this game.

A true horror experience needs the feeling of utter desperation, and as I'm saying this, I'm saying more than I should haha.

You also released a demo interestingly named "Resident Evil 7 Teaser -beginning hour-" across the whole world straight after the reveal at E3 which really surprised us all. Why did you decide to put it out at that time?

Nakanishi: We just wanted to say "And now you'll be able to download and play the demo, right now!" after the reveal haha; but seriously I just want to say that the demo that's available right now is a unique demo that we wanted to create and will not be a part of the finished title!

Kawada: There are also a few gimmicks that won't be in the main game as well. We were designing the demo alongside developing the main game itself, that gave birth to a whole heap of problems however haha. Oh, and just so you know, the main character is not a character similar to Leon nor Chris at all.

Players who decide to replay the game will still be able to relive the horror as well as find new parts they previously never ran into in their first play through, correct?

Nakanishi: We wanted people to think "So.. where do I use this thing?" among other things that cleverly puzzle the player.

Kawada: There will be some gimmicks that people may not even run into at all. You may have a friend or partner etc who will notice something and say something like "Wait... what was that?...". We wanted a preview of the sensation that you will be able to experience in the main game when it releases.

Nakanishi: We have a playable PlayStation VR unit available with the game set up on the floor of E3 at this very moment. A lot of fans seem worried about the changes to the essence what makes Resident Evil, but I just want to explain that even though you don't know much about the game via the demo, the true essence of Resident Evil will definitely be shining brightly!

Kawada: I'm sure you've felt the Resident Evil atmosphere in the -beginning hour- Teaser.

Ahh I see. The demo showcases a First Person View among other systems, will these systems be implemented into the main game?

Kawada: This isn't the first Resident Evil game to have a First Person View, but there is a big difference in how the first person view/gameplay of RE7 is different to those games.

Next I want to focus on the title. So the main game has gone with the non-Japanese title of the game "Resident Evil"?

Kawada: The translation of Resident Evil comes out as "Jaaku na Shujin" (Demonic Residents) and even though the previous title "Biohazard" is featured in the name we felt that "Resident Evil" fits the concept of the game more.

I found it really clever how you fit the VII into the Evil part of the games title, then when I looked closer I saw you did the same with Biohazard changing the Z to a 7!

Kawada: We had that type of concept from the very beginning, we wanted an interesting and eye-catching design for this game.

Nakanishi: The design of the logo was actual the first thing we hired people for lol.

Kawada: We were worried people may not catch on with some of our previous designs but this one was just perfect.

Nakanishi: Our E3 2015 playable tech demo "Kitchen" for the PlayStation VR actually had a little hint in the name, see the T in Kitchen has a line through it to make it look subtlety like a 7.

GA.03579.0002.jpg

're right! I never noticed that at all!

Kawada: Kitchen was not 100% intended to show off a Resident Evil game so a lot of people never really looked deep into it.

I never thought Kitchen was even remotely connected to the RE Franchise! Anyhow back to the RE series, what aspects of the Resident Evil series will continue into the new game?

Nakanishi: The game has evolved over the years, what with the change in camera angle/gameplay like RE4 and of course in RE7 and also the zapping system in RE2. We like to keep the games faithful to the story and series, but we also like to challenge new ideas and implement them into the latest games in the series.
Resident Evil wouldn't be Resident Evil if we didn't challenge ourselves and put in new interesting ideas, but the heart and atmosphere will remain true to the Resident Evil series.

We wanted the series core fan base to have the same feelings they did in their favourite games of the series, taking every step slowly as anything could be round the corner ready to increase their heart rate to high levels.
There are no battles in the teaser demo but we still created it with fans thinking "Now this is the Resident Evil I love!!"

Kawada: During the early development of RE7 I got to sit down and actually play it, during this time I was overwhelmed with nostalgic memories of playing the very first Resident Evil game. The scares and the creepy factor was all there and this time it's at new high levels.

Nakanishi: We decided that First Person was the way to go as we talked about what point of view to use in the conception stage of the game.

Speaking of the Point of View (POV), it does feel like we're watching a movie?

Nakanishi: That's just one of the ideas we felt when we came up with the First Person POV, although the camera angle tends to change in movies one idea is that playing the demo is like coming across an old creepy video except you're the one who gets to control how the person recordings story pans out.

I totally agree with you there! Next I would like to focus on the "RE Engine" you're using to develop the game.

Nakanishi: We wanted a graphical engine that could make the game look very realistic so we decided to create an engine from the ground up. We all came together to make this engine a reality (albeit a few initial problems here and there) and it has been an amazing creation.

Kawada: Not just RE7 will be using this new engine, we plan to implement it in other games in the future to.

Fantastic. Also, it seems there will be something interesting that will happen if you connect it to the Resident Evil Ambassador.

Kawada: There will be a few bonuses here and there so please remember to connect the game.

Oh I know I will! Finally what are your aims when it comes to RE7?

Nakanishi: I was extremely moved to see the reaction of the fans after we revealed the game at E3. We want people to enjoy the fruits of our labor, the blood and sweat the developers are pouring into making this globally loved series stand up proud once more.

Kawada: We have various Resident Evil games co in out to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the series. With games such as "RE7", the shooter "Umbrella Core" and the yet to be announced "awaited title", we want people to really enjoy what RE can still offer and the variety of the games that's will be released.

It's been a while but horror fans just have a little while to wait till Resident Evil 7 releases early 2017.

We are about 65% through the development process of the game, but you can enjoy the experience given in the standalone demo available to download through the PlayStation 4 store or with the PlayStation VR headset on the E3 floor. More news coming soon but for now, please enjoy!

Astral Dog

65 percent dev done and January release. Wonder of the game is rather short in length.

games get made faster as completition closes up, the very concept and beginning phases of development take more time.
that and RE5 was a fairly short game, 7 could be around the length of that.

Squire

Banned
games get made faster as completition closes up, the very concept and beginning phases of development take more time.
that and RE5 was a fairly short game, 7 could be around the length of that.

Which Takeuchi also produced, funny enough. RE5s length is fine. RE4 is famously a little too long and length did nothing whatsoever to redeem RE6.

Koyuga

65 percent dev done and January release. Wonder of the game is rather short in length.

I think the smaller scale of this game compared to something like RE6 or even RE5 probably lends to that also. Even so, short completion time is nothing new in the Resident Evil franchise. What's important is that there are plenty of reasons to play through it again and see different things, maybe get different endings etc. I think a length of 6-8 hours would be a sweet spot for me since this isn't as action-y as say RE4.

Sesha

Keep in mind there are probably little to no heavily scripted cinematic set pieces in the game. The smaller scale means a lot in terms of development time. Something like REmake spent less than 2 years in development, IIRC.

The phrase "true horror" gives me concern. Have they said whether or not there's combat? I don't want CoD, but I don't want Amnesia, either.

By "yet to be announced "awaited title"", are they referring to the RE2 remake?

Could be Revelations 3 ?!

The phrase "true horror" gives me concern. Have they said whether or not there's combat? I don't want CoD, but I don't want Amnesia, either.

Don't get your hopes up. They said in one of the interviews that combat is gonna take a backseat, so I wouldn't expect much. We really need a full blown gameplay trailer to assess how combat works and the enemy designs. If they remove the fight or flight mechanic in this game, I feel like it will be just another formulaic first person horror game.

Koyuga

There's an axe in the demo that you can swing around and break stuff with but no enemies to use it on. Also there is an auto aim option in the settings menu suggesting firearms will be present in the full game.

Could be Revelations 3 ?!

Don't get your hopes up. They said in one of the interviews that combat is gonna take a backseat, so I wouldn't expect much. We really need a full blown gameplay trailer to assess how combat works and the enemy designs. If they remove the fight or flight mechanic in this game, I feel like it will be just another formulaic first person horror game.

They've said there's combat. It's just going to not be on the level of RE4-5 in terms of gun use, nor will there be the super suplex melee systems.

But yes, we do need something that shows the actual game.

neohwa

There is no reason NOT to give us an option to play both First person and Third person.

Skyrim, Fatal Frame, RE REV 1 etc., all allows that.

This is your flagship title, put some budget into it!

Riposte

I remember how people were saying the Resident Evil universe HAS to be "rebooted" (or go post-apoc lol), whereas I argued you can easily set any kind of story in it. Don't want a BSAA story with tough guys taking on BOWs straight on? Change the protagonist, change the scenario, change the mechanics. Turns out this is exactly what they did.

There is no reason NOT to give us an option to play both First person and Third person.

It would be pretty awesome for them to add OTS and FP.

Maybe PC mods can help but who knows how that will turn out...

liquidtmd

Banned

From a design point of view, there may be infinitely valid reasons not to offer third and first person views in one game that have nothing to do with budget.

There definitely is. It works for some games, and not so much for others. Encounter design, weapon use and balancing, puzzle design, level design...

It depends on what the game is doing.

neohwa

That's would I would hope for, in comparison to its predecessor. I'd rather have 12 good hours to RE6's 25 hour rollercoaster of pain.

RE6 is like 5 game in 1. Just play one scenario if the whole game is too long.

RE6 Leon's scenario alone is better than RE4 whole game!

ethomaz

Banned
Good interview.

It was the game of E3 for me and after play the demo I got again that feeling of the first RE... something the last three failed to deliver.

Can't wait.

BTW I bought REmake on PSN after play RE7 demo.

Pennywise

That's would I would hope for, in comparison to its predecessor. I'd rather have 12 good hours to RE6's 25 hour rollercoaster of pain.

Yep.
Allthough that's far harder to sell I imagine.
No Coop, no other form of MP and a rather short game.

Quite curious how the final game will look like, how well the puzzles are done, how well the combat is integrated and so on.
Glad that they finally took the necessary step to abandon all these characters that were overused.

ffvorax

After the initial shock, I think I appreciate the try to do something more "horror" and I hope "survival" like the first games of the series...

I'm just a little concerned about the first person, but I welcome the intention to renovate a famous franchise without rebooting it.

That said I think after RE5 they could have closed the series... but let's see.

Toxi

Banned
I remember how people were saying the Resident Evil universe HAS to be "rebooted" (or go post-apoc lol), whereas I argued you can easily set any kind of story in it. Don't want a BSAA story with tough guys taking on BOWs straight on? Change the protagonist, change the scenario, change the mechanics. Turns out this is exactly what they did.
Yep. Reboots are unnecessary in a big world with lots of things going on.
obama-what-reaction-gif.gif

Yep.
Allthough that's far harder to sell I imagine.
No Coop, no other form of MP and a rather short game.

Quite curious how the final game will look like, how well the puzzles are done, how well the combat is integrated and so on.
Glad that they finally took the necessary step to abandon all these characters that were overused.

If they hadn't already confirmed a fresh new protagonist for the game, I would've said Rebecca would've been a great fit for the leading role.

Akiller

If they hadn't already confirmed a fresh new protagonist for the game, I would've said Rebecca would've been a great fit for the leading role.

Rebecca? You mean the girl who fought a Tyrant alone?

They talked about "ordinary People" so i think they'll use a totally new character.

RE7 sounds like a side story style sequel rather than a proper sequel judging on what i see .

They talked about "ordinary People" so i think they'll use a totally new character.

RE7 sounds like a side story style sequel rather than a proper sequel judging on what i see .

Relatively speaking, she's probably the most "ordinary" out of all the existing RE characters, and she hasn't been mentioned, much less appeared much in the series since RE1. Her skillset is fairly normal in terms of combat, and you also don't exactly perform the kind of crazy stunts in RE0/1 that you see in the later games. If you wanted to bring a former character into this, she would've been a decent fit compared to anyone else.

Also, i really doubt this game wouldn't have some kind of Tyrant variant for you to fight by the end.

Sesha

Rebecca is probably Revelations 3 material. Her, or possibly Sheva or Sherry. Considering Revelations brought back Jill and Revelations 2 brought back Claire as main characters.

There's a few screenshots on the official site that aren't recognisable from the demo or show it from a different time of day.

ss04.jpg

ss05.jpg

ss06.jpg

(RE Engine)
img_reengine.jpg

The Deep South is such a great setting for an RE game. I've long wanted Eastern Europe, a mountainous setting, a snowy environment and Japan, but I've fallen in love with the Deep South/Bayou setting.
considering that REV 1 & 2 had three year gap between release, me thinks we surely will get announcement in 2017

It seems like Kawata is referring to within the 20th anniversary. That ends March 31st next year. They probably want to keep the focus on as few titles as possible as well. Umbrella Corps releases next week, but things will be crowded with RE7, the remasters and later RE2make when they start showing it.

So what the hell happened to Panty Raid engine, that big of a failure

No one knows.

- SF5 uses UE4 and was developed 60-70% in-house, so it's not just because of Dimps.
- Revelations 2 used MT Framework.
- Umbrella Corps uses Unity 5.
- Dead Rising 4 uses UE4 (but that was to be expected).
- Now RE7 uses its own engine.

It seems pretty much dead. I wonder if it will suffer the same fate as Luminous with FF15 and only fully be used with Deep Down. I expect DMC5 to use UE4 at this point. I'm curious to see if RE2make will use MT Framework, UE4 or RE7's engine.

RE6 is like 5 game in 1. Just play one scenario if the whole game is too long.

Lol you're high as fuck.

Leon's RE6 Scenario is not better than all of RE4 by any sane metric. I think he had the most Resi of the campaigns in 6 (haven't played the game recently enough to say if it was the best campaign) but the final hour was endless boss battles that dragged on and didn't have a lot of variety.

Astral Dog

Rebecca is probably Revelations 3 material. Her, or possibly Sheva or Sherry. Considering Revelations brought back Jill and Revelations 2 brought back Claire as main characters.

The Deep South is such a great setting for an RE game. I've long wanted Eastern Europe, a mountainous setting, a snowy environment and Japan, but I've fallen in love with the Deep South/Bayou setting.

It seems like Kawata is referring to within the 20th anniversary. That ends March 31st next year. They probably want to keep the focus on as few titles as possible as well. Umbrella Corps releases next week, but things will be crowded with RE7, the remasters and later RE2make when they start showing it.

No one knows.

- SF5 uses UE4 and was developed 60-70% in-house, so it's not just because of Dimps.
- Revelations 2 used MT Framework.
- Umbrella Corps uses Unity 5.
- Dead Rising 4 uses UE4 (but that was to be expected).
- Now RE7 uses its own engine.

It seems pretty much dead. I wonder if it will suffer the same fate as Luminous with FF15 and only fully be used with Deep Down. I expect DMC5 to use UE4 at this point. I'm curious to see if RE2make will use MT Framework, UE4 or RE7's engine.
I loove what im hearing/seeing about the setting!, an old, southern American plantation sounds like the perfect place for an horror game. Rusty houses, mansions, farms, lakes, play fields, prisons,labs (you know there is going to be one :p) mines ,swamps and many more.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is more like a soft-reboot than anything.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Which Takeuchi also produced, funny enough. RE5s length is fine. RE4 is famously a little too long and length did nothing whatsoever to redeem RE6.
Co-produced
He has only produced Revelations, Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps and Darkside series, he was a background artist for RE3 and was involved in Dino Crisis 3, I'm honestly worried.

Sesha

I loove what im hearing/seeing about the setting!, an old, southern American plantation sounds like the perfect place for an horror game. Rusty houses, mansions, farms, lakes, play fields, prisons,labs (you know there is going to be one :p) mines ,swamps and many more.

That's what excites me most. I'm worried about the combat, the first-person perspective, and the seemingly short development period, but the setting and tone of it is enough to keep me intrigued.

So is it still possible this will be in third person? Kind of like how GTA V was created as a third person game, but they added a first person mode.

Shauni

They've said that the game will seem totally unrelated to the other games at first, but the further you go along the more you'll see how it's a continuation of the world (not those exact words, but that's what get from what's being said).

So is it still possible this will be in third person? Kind of like how GTA V was created as a third person game, but they added a first person mode.

Confirmed to be all FP

Top Bottom