• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom plans for 2014: Fighting games, Ace Attorney and a classic IP

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gotta be Capcom All-Stars. Right? There's no way it's just Rival Schools or Power Stone, though it totally should be, and they're probably still mulling over what to do with Darkstalkers; I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a prototype of that.
We talked about this a bit in the FGW thread a few days ago, but CAS has been continually rejected as Capcom USA has been pushing for it from years.

It's also too big of a project I think for any dev team to be working on if a year ago they had no new fighting games in development allegedly. Also, the producer that talked about fighting games in 2014 was the head of their mobile initiative (Development Studio #2). Ayano had nothing to say.

It's unlikely it's a big project. And they have said HDMakes have been less and less profitable.. it's likely a smaller project or resurrected IP.

Didn't Kamiya say he was ready to work on another DMC if Capcom was okay with it?

Capcom: We're working on a new DMC Hideki-san, and we want you to direct it.

Hideki: Wonderful, count me in. *signs contract*

/during the meeting

Capcom: Everyone ready to make the next DMC?!

Everyone: Yeah! Hideki is finally back!

Hideki: *cool ass smile*

Capcom: This is going to be iOS and Android's best game on the market!

Capcom: We're working on a new DMC Hideki-san, and we want you to direct it.

Hideki: Wonderful, count me in. *signs contract*

/during the meeting

Capcom: Everyone ready to make the next DMC?!

Everyone: Yeah! Hideki is finally back!

Hideki: *cool ass smile*

Capcom: This is going to be iOS and Android's best game on the market!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Seriously, though, I'm surprised people are so excited about a "new classic returning" after what all the wailing and despair over the latest Breath of Fire. They did just make a big push towards more mobile development after all. Also have to wonder how their new fighter is going to turn out after how bad SFxT was before the 2013 patch.

proccor

Neo Member
Asura's Wrather! with Kinect 2

i'd buy it...

Those QTEs... the only way I can see it going down:

751668_o.gif

Shengar

What?! Just one year after Dual Destinies?! The last time we got an AA game sequel within one year cycle is JFA, and we know how is it turned out. Should go with two years cycle as it is always result with Trial and Tribulation and Gyakuten Kenji 2 level of quality.

DedValve

Banned
Resident Evil 7
REmake 2
Resident Evil Outbreak HD Collection
Devil May Cry 5
Street Fighter V
Darkstalkers 4
Marvel vs Capcom 4
Mega Man 11
Mega Man X9
Mega Man Legends 3
Power Stone 3
Strider 3 (by Platinum)
Progear 2 (Capcom revives Cave and gives them funds for 2D shooters anytime)
Trojan 2
Tech Romancer 2
Ace Attorney 6
Ghouls 'n Ghosts 'n Kobolds
Bionic Commando Rearmed 3

LETS FUCKING DO THIS HELL YEAH CAPGOD IS BACK

This list lacks Dragons Dogma 2 but has Outbreak collection HD. I am conflicted to call this the return of capgods. (it entirely depends if Outbreak HD has online).

SykoTech

The new Strider is looking pretty lame. Not sure if I want to see them mess with another classic IP unless it's done in-house.

But I'd love to see a Marvel-style Capcom All-Stars fighting game.

vg260

We talked about this a bit in the FGW thread a few days ago, but CAS has been continually rejected as Capcom USA has been pushing for it from years.

It's also too big of a project I think for any dev team to be working on if a year ago they had no new fighting games in development allegedly. Also, the producer that talked about fighting games in 2014 was the head of their mobile initiative (Development Studio #2). Ayano had nothing to say.

It's unlikely it's a big project. And they have said HDMakes have been less and less profitable.. it's likely a smaller project or resurrected IP.

By "reaffirming their presence in the fighting game scene.", could they not even be bringing out a new game necessarily, and they're just talking in terms of being more active in the scene, such as with Ultra?

Mesoian

By "reaffirming their presence in the fighting game scene.", could they not even be bringing out a new game necessarily, and they're just talking in terms of being more active in the scene, such as with Ultra?

I mean yeah, it's a very real possibility that all of this fighting game posturing they've been doing, from everyone at that company over the past 8 months, is just about Ultra.

Which would be lame.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Seriously, though, I'm surprised people are so excited about a "new classic returning" after what all the wailing and despair over the latest Breath of Fire. They did just make a big push towards more mobile development after all. Also have to wonder how their new fighter is going to turn out after how bad SFxT was before the 2013 patch.

I don't have faith in current capcom being able to restore any old IPs. They can go fuck themselves.

With all of the problems Capcom had toward the end of the generation, I thought they did pretty great this gen...with the one exception being how they treated Mega Man fans after Inafune left.

Even then we got MM9 & 10 which were awesome games and a nice return to the classics.

Now with next year, hopefully Capcom makes a comeback.

Revive Power Stone
Bring back Mega Man in a big way
Put Street Fighter on ice for a bit.

That's all I want and I'd be super happy.

We neeeeeed a Dragons Dogma 2. Badly. That game has the potential to be the greatest of all time. The more I play Dragons Dogma, the more I see the game they wanted to make but couldn't due to budget and time constraints. And the thing is, even with those constraints Dragons Dogma is amazing. But give it the standard sequel treatment of "more" and it's even better. More classes, more weapons, more variety in enemies and terrain would be the best thing possible, all added on to the excellent bones of Dragons Dogma and Dark Arisen. Add in co-op and damn, I don't think I would ever need to buy another game. DD2 could be perfect, do it!

Biker19

Banned
Every year I think, this will be the year that Capcom gets it right.

It hurts more and more each passing year :(

I agree with this. Capcom won't learn.

Unrealistic expectations (hoping for tens of millions of copies of Resident Evil 6 to be sold), creating big flops (PS3/360 Retail of Bionic Commando, Dark Void, Remember Me, the Lost Planet series, etc.), as well as all of their BS practices like On-Disc DLC, etc. is what caused them to be nearly bankrupt in the first place.

I'd love to see a new non-SF fighter from them, whether it be a dusted-off Rival Schools or Darkstalkers (or Star Gladiator!), an All-Stars game, or a new IP.

I was flicking through the Capcom character encyclopaedia the other day and an All-Star game just makes so much sense, they have such a strong stable of characters.

I'd love for them to do another Final Fight, old school style. One of my favorite seemingly forgotten series.

I think Scott Pilgrim vs The World showed you don't really need to change the graphics, per say, to make a good, well received beat'em up. I mean it was basically River City Ransom on LSD.

It is just too bad they tried to make it all 3D last time.

Sesha

Having consulted with Nostradamus' ghost, here are Capcom's 2015-16 announcements:

DMC: Bloody Palace Edition by Neo_G
Rival Schools 3 by Itsuno
Ghost Trick 2 by Shu Takumi
Capcom All-Stars by Niitsuma
Rebooted BoF6 by Makoto Ikehara, art by Tatsuya Yoshikawa
MegaMan 11, in 3d on a 2d plane, design based on Smash 4's Mega Man design.
Ghost and Goblins reboot by VanillaWare

...on iOS.

Capcom's 2015-16 announcements:

DMC5 by Itsuno
Rival Schools 3 by Neo_G

...on iOS.

That doesn't sound right.

You forgot about microtransactions.

HardRojo

Having consulted with Nostradamus' ghost, here are Capcom's 2015-16 announcements:

DMC: Bloody Palace Edition by Neo_G
Rival Schools 3 by Itsuno

...on iOS.

To think only half of those games are necessary for me to trust Capcom again... and of course physical releases of the Ace Attorney games.
All on their respective platforms of course, no mobile.
CvS3 too please :(

Sesha

I just received word from the ghost of Abe no Seimei. Look for the long-awaited reboot of Capcom's dino killing action series Dino Crisis by Eiichiro Ueda, director of RE6. Coming to tablets and smartphones in 2017, as an online turn-based squad shooter. Get the drop on your opponents by paying for extra turns. Pay just 5.99$ more to summon the match-finishing Giganotosaurus.

Also, preorder the android edition to receive as exclusive DLC, playable Jill Valentine instead of main character Regina.

Top Bottom