• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom plans for 2014: Fighting games, Ace Attorney and a classic IP

Bar81

Dear Capcom,

Dungeons & Dragons LE and Strider LE made me fall for you again.

All we need is Lost Worlds LE, Senjou no Ookami LE and Dai Makaimura LE.

Make it happen.

Sincerely,

My Wallet

Mesoian

Marvel might be dead, but the spirit of Mahvel lives on.

Capcom vs. Capcom. Believe.

I mean...if they squander the positive will the FGC alone has with fighting games by sitting on the marvel formula...Capcom can't be saved. As much as I have a love/hate relationship with Marvel, simply taking that formula and expanding on it with your own stuff, regardless of whether or not you want to make a Marvel 4 later down the line, is a piss easy one to make. Just...actually take your time with it! Stop rushing things out for the sake of having stuff on the shelves!

Clawww

I mean...if they squander the positive will the FGC alone has with fighting games by sitting on the marvel formula...Capcom can't be saved. As much as I have a love/hate relationship with Marvel, simply taking that formula and expanding on it with your own stuff, regardless of whether or not you want to make a Marvel 4 later down the line, is a piss easy one to make. Just...actually take your time with it! Stop rushing things out for the sake of having stuff on the shelves!

Honestly, if I'm to be optimistic about Capcom, I believe they might actually start taking things slowly and trying to put out top-notch products when it comes to their big franchises.

People are hung up on the mobile department but to me that just means Capcom has an alternative revenue stream that also gives them room to breathe when it comes to their next gen games. They'll be hopefully able to take risks (which they always have) and take time (which they haven't always) this generation. The jokes on iOS are legit, but at the same time, I want those to be solid and successful so that Capcom can afford to knock it out of the park when it comes to the next big thing.

Darkstalkers f2p to jump in the beu f2p realm, along with tekken, future soul Calibur, etc..
Or mm legends 3 f2p on ios.. I mean, look at bof6..

Cut my lifeline if that happens kkthxbye

kinggroin

Banned
It's unreal 3 so...probably not as much as developing something from scratch for MTFramework Next. Plus it's more about time than cost. Capcom can have Ninja Theory make a Donte 2 and have it ready for February 2015. Making something brand new in house with tools that they haven't finalized yet? It would be a project outlined for something beyond 2 fiscal seasons.

::Shrugs:: I would do it. I would just make sure someone like Itsuno has his hands in the dough while it's being put together. DmC kind of knocked it out the park in every way except for combat. If they can actually make the sequel be a top character action game contender...I see no reason for Donte to go away.

That Faux News boss was awesome.

Good visuals, bad art design. As stupid as they were, DMC3's character designs popped. The only boss in DMC4 that I actively remember was the plant boss.

I was going to argue with you.....but yeah I agree.

I love the graphics, but the art direction and level visual design aren't up to snuff creatively. Huh.

R0ckman

With Strider already announced I could give a shit less what the old IP is. Unless its Mega Man I guess. But how can they revive it with everyone who worked on the ganes almost gone from the company?

Mesoian

I bet it's going to be a new Darkstalkers game. Ono been pretty open about it, & wanting to do this for years now.

I think the piss poor sales of Darkstalkers Ressurection put a bullet in those dreams.

Hey, I bought it. Twice. But I'm not most.

I'm expecting USF4 and nothing more. I'd love to be surprised (unless it is Darkstalkers). I gotta admit it'd be pretty cool if Rival Schools came back.

MvC styled Capcom All Stars would be GOAT

Koppai

I am so glad that Ace Attorney is no longer dormant <3

Capcom finally giving a fuck? How about a new Powerstone arcade like game :3

I am so ready for a new GnG, but I'm worried about where Capcom will want to take it - tablets, f2p etc. Same goes for SF or any fighting game and the Killer Instinct type model.

tbm24

I'd rather SFV so I can stand to play it and I can be rewarded for being the better player.

Yka

Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-3 director, Shu Takumi, additionally confirmed that his team's next title will be announced next year. Whether the title is a follow up to his last game, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, or an all new IP is anyone's guess at this point.

Dino Crisis (1999), Main planners: Shu Takumi, Kuniomi Matsushita, Hiroyuki Kobayashi

Dino Crisis 2 (2000), Director: Shu Takumi

Dino Crisis revival, please!

Clawww

I'd rather SFV so I can stand to play it and I can be rewarded for being the better player.

Are you trying to say that isn't the case in Marvel? It's easier to get into but all you have to do is look at the Top 8 placements for the tournaments this past year to see, quite plainly, that the better players consistently, overwhelmingly win. If anything, the issue in the scene right now is that the good players are just so far ahead of the rest that you keep seeing the same faces at the top.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Is it wrong of me to find it depressing they didn't say a thing about Mega Man here? I mean, all people pretty much want is a little affirmation: "A Mega Man title is currently in development."

wildfire

Banned
Why aren't people even excited about Capcom possibly making a new IP? The genre has peaked with the current crop of games and there is no where else to go?

tbm24

Are you trying to say that isn't the case in Marvel? It's easier to get into but all you have to do is look at the Top 8 placements for the tournaments this past year to see, quite plainly, that the better players consistently, overwhelmingly win. If anything, the issue in the scene right now is that the good players are just so far ahead of the rest that you keep seeing the same faces at the top.
In Marvel 3 the better player doesn't always win. That is a fact simply because Xfactor exists and no amount of top 8 lists(don't bother I've seen majority of them since marvel 3 released) is going to make me pretend I haven't seen countless of bullshit comebacks against players who outplayed them.

I'll take my fighting games without that kind of bullshit.

sleepykyo

Resident Evil 7 [with killstreaks]
Devil May Cry 5 [by Ninja Theory]
Street Fighter Vs Mortal Kombat [by NRS]
Mega Man [by Slant Six]
[DC] v Capcom [by NRS]
Dungeons and Dragons [by Blue Castle]
[Welcome to the new age to Cacpcom]

Edited to reflect Capgod's fall into Cacpcom.
A Blue Castle D&D could be fun though.

vg260

Expandable UMvC3-esque Capcom all-stars seems like such an obvious choice. As others stated, they can go a KI-style route and allowing it to be updated and generating a revenue stream. It's almost too obvious that they'll do something else.

Mesoian

Marvel has a ton of easily patchable bullshit that ruins the game. It's fun as hell, and high level play is really entertaining, but when 20% of the cast is just overwhelmingly better than other characters, you don't have a good fighting game.

Dahbomb

The better player wins in Marvel 3 and thus you are rewarded for being the better player (same people have been winning for years now). Part of being the better player is controlling X factor situations, something that players like FChamp and ChrisG have gotten a good handle on compared to other lesser players. Not all the time because that doesn't happen in any fighting game (SF4 especially, there are countless examples of better players losing to worse players) but the vast majority of matches are won by better players especially in the current state of the game.

UMVC3 style Capcom All Stars is such a no brainer that I can fully expect Capcom to not pursue it.

Clawww

In Marvel 3 the better player doesn't always win. That is a fact simply because Xfactor exists and no amount of top 8 lists(don't bother I've seen majority of them since marvel 3 released) is going to make me pretend I haven't seen countless of bullshit comebacks against players who outplayed them.

I'll take my fighting games without that kind of bullshit.

Yeah cool I guess I'll just go Xfactor my way through competing like ChrisG and F.Champ, sounds good buddy

JCX

sörine;95285293 said:
Is Gamecube classic enough? I want Viewtuful Joe or Gotcha Force to come back.

Capcom 5 Collection, complete with the finished version of that one dead phoenix game that was cancelled.

Mesoian

Yeah cool I guess I'll just go Xfactor my way through competing like ChrisG and F.Champ, sounds good buddy

I mean, you're being facetious, but...when going up against Chris G, that's EXACTLY what you have to do. Because you're only going to get 1 chance.

Floex

Every year I think, this will be the year that Capcom gets it right.

It hurts more and more each passing year :(

With Strider already announced I could give a shit less what the old IP is. Unless its Mega Man I guess. But how can they revive it with everyone who worked on the ganes almost gone from the company?

Easy just do what they did with the more recent Mega Man games, let Init Creates make it. Or heck, Init Creates and Comcept.

TheOGB

Banned
Gotta be Capcom All-Stars. Right? There's no way it's just Rival Schools or Power Stone, though it totally should be, and they're probably still mulling over what to do with Darkstalkers; I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a prototype of that.

I-hate-u

Say what you want, I thought MT Framework was one of the more impressive engines early last gen. DMC4, RE5 and MvC3 blew me away visually.

I hope their new engine, Panta Rhei which is looking very promising, will used in more than just Deep Down.

Top Bottom