• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom puts anti-cracking rootkit in Street Fighter 5 PC version update

"We're also rolling out an updated anti-crack solution (note: not DRM) that prevents certain users from hacking the executable," Capcom wrote.

"The solution also prevents memory address hack that are commonly used for cheating and illicitly obtaining in-game currency and other entitlements that haven't been purchased yet," that added.

This fix intends to prevent the offline version of Street Fighter 5 from being hacked with a new 'handshake' feature.

"The anti-crack solution does not require online connectivity in order to play the game in offline mode; however, players will be required to click-confirm each time they boot up the game.

"This step allows 'handshake' to take place between the executable and the dependent driver prior to launch."

http://steamcommunity.com/games/310950/announcements/detail/832427843307776226

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/sep/22/capcom-puts-anti-cracking-solution-place-street-fighter-5-hackers/

More info, courtesy of Cyborgmatt and Reddit user extrwi:

Since this driver is so small, it's also extremely easy to tell what it does. After taking a look, I would never let this product run on my machine.

The driver first registers itself using a pseudo-randomly generated name. That's kind of suspicious. It also doesn't specify any security, so any user at any privilege level can attempt to open and control the device. That's bad.

It sets up custom handlers for opening the device object, closing the device object, and performing ioctls on the device object. This is pretty normal, although a driver that didn't set up basic security when creating its device should perform security checks when opening the device. This driver does not.

The ioctl handler is where everything "interesting" happens. It checks for control codes 0xAA012044 and 0xAA013044, does some buffer size checks, disables data execution protection and then runs the arbitrary code passed in through the ioctl buffer with kernel permissions.

In short, this driver creates a back door which can allow a non-privileged user to run code with permissions of the kernel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...c_update_is_accessing_kernel_level_in/d7z4eev

Strange that they could take all this time to implement this but still can't take the time to add native DirectInput support into the game.

Kumubou

Strange that they could take all this time to implement this but still can't take the time to add native DirectInput support into the game.
DirectInput support isn't going to lead to any additional revenue, whereas people hacking away at modes to gain in-game currency quickly will, so it shouldn't be surprised that was prioritized over the 43564364364376437457457 other quality-of-life issues the game has (of which zero have been addressed so far -- great job providing a "service", guys).

(And to my knowledge, this still does not address all of the ways people can hack their way to having tons of fight money.)

And it's also a standard that's been officially unsupported for several years now. With that said, it turns out that most arcade sticks sold today don't have any kind of XInput support so... :| Just kind of a sad case where the software and hardware completely sailed past each other.

Spman2099

DirectInput support isn't going to lead to any additional revenue, whereas people hacking away at modes to gain in-game currency quickly will, so it shouldn't be surprised that was prioritized over the 43564364364376437457457 other quality-of-life issues the game has (of which zero have been addressed so far -- great job providing a "service", guys).

You appear to be a fair and balanced individual...

KingBroly

Banned

(And to my knowledge, this still does not address all of the ways people can hack their way to having tons of fight money.)

And it's also a standard that's been officially unsupported for several years now. With that said, it turns out that most arcade sticks sold today don't have any kind of XInput support so... :| Just kind of a sad case where the software and hardware completely sailed past each other.

The reason people demand keyboard and d-input support:
1 - Keyboards are PC standard
2 - The game is for PS4 and PC. Meaning that you need a PS4 stick to play in Tournaments if you're a PC player, so you need d-input support to make the controller/stick compatible.

Pejo

Gold Member
Aw man, I hope this doesn't effect the costume mods. It's the only thing I've been enjoying about SFV for the past few months.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I just love the great lengths developers go to protect their software lately, even if it ultimately ends up being fruitless. Street Fighter has already been cracked to the bone, so I don't know what this achieves.

Kumubou

You appear to be a fair and balanced individual...
I'm not hiding it -- I don't think SF5 is a good game and Capcom's support of the game since its launch has been atrocious. Or are you arguing that is not a reasonable conclusion to come to given the circumstances? That seems insane. There are reasons why people like the game (and the series) as much as they do -- it's just that Capcom makes it really goddamn hard at times.

The reason people demand keyboard and d-input support:
1 - Keyboards are PC standard
2 - The game is for PS4 and PC. Meaning that you need a PS4 stick to play in Tournaments if you're a PC player, so you need d-input support to make the controller/stick compatible.
The lack of configurable keyboard controls is inexcusable, and from a practical standpoint I can see why DirectInput support is desirable, even if it leads to a whole bunch of other problems.

Hacking in online games is a living problem, you should be more worried if they actually believed that there was some point of no return.

Interestingly I've never heard about hacking online in Street Fighter V, only mods for outfits and the fight money stuff.
I presume Capcom have done a good job at tackling this?

DirectInput has been deprecated since 2005 when Xinput was introduced, and MS stopped recommending that anybody still use it after 2011. I'm not sure what the big deal about DirectInput is, it's Sony's responsibility to implement Xinput support for Dualshock controllers instead of relying on a decade-obsolete standard.

Does anyone know if the "official" wireless adapter Sony released for the Dualshock 4 finally implements Xinput support for PS4 controllers on PC?

yyr

No, this is not strange.

Depending on how they wrote their input routines, this may or may not require a complete rewrite of said input routines. I don't think they would attempt to mess with this until at least the end of the Capcom Cup season.

Mechazawa

Fucking seriously. A member of the FGC was able to replace an xinput file and inject dinput, yet months later, Capcom still hasn't done shit on that front
DirectInput has been deprecated since 2005 when Xinput was introduced, and MS stopped recommending that anybody still use it after 2011. I'm not sure what the big deal about DirectInput is, it's Sony's responsibility to implement Xinput support for Dualshock controllers instead of relying on a decade-obsolete standard.

Does anyone know if the "official" wireless adapter Sony released for the Dualshock 4 finally implements Xinput support for PS4 controllers on PC?
The big deal is the vast majority of PC fighting games support dinput. That broken launch MKX port supported it.

KingBroly

Banned
No, this is not strange.

Depending on how they wrote their input routines, this may or may not require a complete rewrite of said input routines. I don't think they would attempt to mess with this until at least the end of the Capcom Cup season.

Well, MadCatz was able to do it for their sticks. Doing this stuff for PC doesn't affect the CPT since they use PS4's.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Hahaha, seriously.

I know this is a "problem of high priority" for them due to giving free fight money
I am part of that problem since Survival mode is shitty and I hacked that for free money and the colors because seriously: Fuck Capcom for that bullshit
but no DirectInput support in any of the patches despite saying it was coming is just hilariously stupid to me.

BigEmil

But I thought people said people hacking SFV on PC is rare and you'll never face them?

Rare enough that they had to go as far as to do this now huh?

KingBroly

Banned
But I thought people said people hacking SFV on PC is rare and you'll never face them?

I haven't seen much in the way of cheating in SF5 on PC beyond ragequitting (if you consider that cheating). What sort of started this whole mess was people using Urien/Juri online back in July. At least, that's when they first acknowledged it.

MUnited83

For you.

It is extremely rare. Not sure how is the rarity of it supposed to justify not addressing it with some anti-cheat measures.(and mind you, most cheats are for the currency, nothing that affects actual online play)
Dumb post.

Skilletor

This isn't about running into people hacking the game, it's about people hacking the game to get easy fight money.

Well no one was asking for this. Capcom decided to do it, probably because people were getting fight money stuff for free. Can't blame them for that really. Weird and horrible if that streaming thing is true.

On the bright side it seems PAK mods still work so all those modded costumes shoud still be around.

But yeah, what the hell at the PC controller support STILL being bad. AMAZING.

This completely different than what you are thinking this is for people who hacked survival mode to make it one round to get fight money not people going into multiplayer matches and cheating.

BiggNife

The lack of DirectInput support is annoying but also it takes all of two minutes to set up a Joy2Key profile to circumvent it so I think Capcom just has it on the very bottom of their priorities list right now

Someone in the other thread said they can't run their streaming software with it now. Oh, Capcom...

Is there any evidence to this being a widespread thing?

The lack of DirectInput support is annoying but also it takes all of two minutes to set up a Joy2Key profile to circumvent it so I think Capcom just hasn't on the very bottom of their priorities list right now

Is there any evidence to this being a widespread thing?
I've been having problems running OBS as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The lack of DirectInput support is annoying but also it takes all of two minutes to set up a Joy2Key profile to circumvent it

People shouldn't have to do that, especially since SF4 supports it natively out of box.

Moaradin

I haven't seen any hacking that actually impacts matches. It was easy to get FM from hacking and that's what they've been cracking down on lately.

pizzacat

Banned

" finally my hat is needed"

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

This all started when PS4 players were stealing premium costumes from the psn store and unlocking colors without clearing survival in July. There was a tutorial on YouTube that capcom personally pulled I believe.

Might as well go after the 30 people playing on PC.

KingBroly

Banned
This all started when PS4 players were stealing premium costumes from the psn store and unlocking colors without clearing survival in July. There was a tutorial on YouTube that capcom personally pulled I believe.

Might as well go after the 30 people playing on PC.

At the same time people were caught using Juri/Urien online by PC players.

Vlaphor

I really hope this doesn't mess with mods. Being able to finecraft SFV with the content you want
(bounce/slap)
is important to my enjoyment of the game.

I am not joking.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Will this stop the people I play online in ranked who teleport really ducking fast across the screen? Or is that just atrocious NetCode?

Top Bottom