• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom share holders do not approve stock take over defense

-Horizon-

I almost want one of the big three to buy Capcom just for the reactions. Almost.

OR how about this:

"Google Buys Capcom, Officially Enters The Gaming Arena"

I would not sleep that day.

Amazon might seem more likely. With them already acquiring studios for their game development.

Neoxon

Is Nintendo or Sony acquiring Capcom (Or just the Monster Hunter IP) actually a possibility? Or is it all just forum talk?
Nintendo could afford to get Capcom, it's a question of if it's worth it to them. Sony on the other hand is in pretty bad shape right now outside of great PS4 sales. The problem is that whoever of the Big 3 gets them (if any), millions of gamers get screwed over no matter what.

Honestly, IF western companies can go for Capcom, I wouldn't mind Disney going for it. Yes, it's a long-shot, but they've been needing to break into the gaming space for a while (and not just with Disney Infinity), plus Capcom has proven that they know how to treat the properties they made or now own (DuckTales, Chip n' Dale, Darkwing Duck, the MvC games, etc.). Plus, if anything, it gives Disney a counter to WB Games' ownership of NetherRealm Studios. They'd be third party, so nobody gets screwed over, & it could guarantee Capcom-made Marvel fighters in the foreseeable future.

Say what you want about Capcom's attitude recently, they've still put out a number of good games (Street Fighter, Phoenix Wright, Dead Rising, Dragon's Dogma, & Monster Hunter to name a few).

Tripon

Nintendo could afford to get Capcom, it's a question of if it's worth it. Sony on the other hand is in pretty bad shape right now outside of great PS4 sales.

Honestly, IF western companies can go for Capcom, I wouldn't mind Disney going for it. Yes, it's a long-shot, but they've been needing to break into the gaming space for a while, plus Capcom has proven that they know how to treat the properties they made or now own (DuckTales, Chip n' Dale, Darkwing Duck, the MvC games, etc.). Plus, if anything, it gives Disney a counter to WB Games' ownership of NetherRealm Studios.

Nintendo could do it, the question is if they want to acquire debt, partner up with a VC-type or another company or reach into their war chest to do so.

All hard choices with their own benefits and flaws.

Neff

Is Nintendo or Sony acquiring Capcom (Or just the Monster Hunter IP) actually a possibility? Or is it all just forum talk?

It's absolutely a possiblity. Someone just has to be willing to spend enough, and think it's a good enough investment to be able to make it back. Both Nintendo and Microsoft could fall into this category. Sony is selling anything it can for millions to shrug off debt. Spending millions is something they don't want to do. Spending *billions* is incredibly unlikely, although having Capcom exclusively on PS4 sure would sell a lot of hardware. But again, they'd have to fund software for themselves, adding more costs. Sony just doesn't look likely at all.

Honestly, IF western companies can go for Capcom, I wouldn't mind Disney going for it.

Disney isn't a bad potential parent for Capcom at all.

Neoxon

It's absolutely a possiblity. Someone just has to be willing to spend enough, and think it's a good enough investment to be able to make it back. Both Nintendo and Microsoft could fall into this category. Sony is selling anything it can for millions to shrug off debt. Spending millions is something they don't want to do. Spending *billions* is incredibly unlikely, although having Capcom exclusively on PS4 sure would sell a lot of hardware. But again, they'd have to fund software for themselves, adding more costs. Sony just doesn't look likely at all.

My point exactly, and we'd see good on all fronts. As I stated earlier...

- Capcom would remain third-party, so everyone can continue to get Capcom's games and nobody gets screwed over (Nintendo still gets Phoenix Wright & Monster Hunter, Microsoft still gets Dead Rising, both MS & Sony still get Street Fighter & Resident Evil, etc.)
- Capcom already has a good relationship with Disney (& Marvel)
- Capcom would have full access to Disney & Marvel properties, so we won't have to wait 10+ years for a new MvC game, plus we can get more remakes of classic Disney games faster (see DuckTales Remastered, which apparently was a financial success)
- Disney would then have a big-name game company under their already-gigantic belt to jump into the video game market with, to compete with WB Games on not only the fighting game front (as WB has NeatherRealm), but on other fronts (WB also has Rocksteady). Assuming Capcom is up to the task, they can churn out big games for Marvel or Disney characters (mainly the former, since they'd sell better with gamers) that aren't just fighters.
- Disney could use Capcom's characters (take Mega Man for example) for stuff like cartoons or movies (Gravity Falls, Wreck-It Ralph, & Frozen prove that Disney still has the animated touch). Granted, we've already seen a well-done Ace Attorney movie made in Japan, but still.

And most importantly, Disney has the cash to make the buyout happen & shrug it off afterwards. I'm all for Disney being Capcom's new parent company, just as long as they treat them like they did Marvel (I.E., let them do their thing, & Disney just throws money at them & take some of the profits). MAYBE do some management changing seeing as they got themselves in this mess in the first place....as long as they leave the fighting game, Ace Attorney, & Monster Hunter divisions alone.....& Capcom Vancouver, I actually enjoyed what I've played of DR3 (still need to try the DLC at my friend's place).

If Microsoft buys Capcom I would expect most of whatever talent is left at the company to leave. Microsoft would also engender the hatred of so many gamers if they were to buy Capcom.

Neoxon

If Microsoft buys Capcom I would expect most of whatever talent is left at the company to leave. Microsoft would also engender the hatred of so many gamers if they were to buy Capcom.
Hence why I'm not entirely for a first-party buying Capcom. Although the likes of Nintendo & Microsoft could afford such a purchase, it'd screw over a ton of gamers.

rrc1594

You mean fanboys, because if they would buy Capcom that's just a business move. They are not doing anything morally wrong, any sane person would see that

Chindogg

How does it make the most sense for Nintendo to buy a company so heavily invested in mobile and social games?

Nintendo's bread and butter remains to be their handheld division. Transitioning mobile into a handheld experience wouldn't be that difficult. Also, if we're to believe the whole NintendOS rumor where there's a unified architecture based on Wii U then there's already a tool available that converts iOS games into eShop games, culling a lot of the problems with the transition.

On the social aspect, Nintendo has Miiverse. What better way to make Miiverse a standard than to implement a social gaming aspect to the platform?

Capcom is indeed heavily invested in mobile and social, but their traditional gaming outlets can still bolster genres that Nintendo just doesn't do. They also are one of the biggest developers of Virtual Console games on both handheld and home console platforms.

Add all this with the additional workforce of incredibly talented developers for not even the cost of purchasing a company completely (they just need a controlling share) and it just makes way too much sense when it comes to a ROI.

I thought we were trying to avoid gutting a company only for its IPs being pushed to mobile?

Neff

I thought we were trying to avoid gutting a company only for its IPs being pushed to mobile?

I don't think what we want is even slightly relevant to these billion dollar transactions, but at least Disney has got its head (mostly) screwed on right and appreciates the value of of IP/franchise pulling power.

And most importantly, Disney has the cash to make the buyout happen & shrug it off afterwards

This isn't what we want though. Of all potential adopters, Nintendo is the only one I think who would be absolutely guaranteed to appreciate just what Capcom is worth and fully utilise it. Anyone else is a possible risk.

Sayers

I really don't see why another video game company would want to buy Capcom. Think about how much bullshit they would be taking on. Someone like MS or Sony would want the talent (most of which are no longer there) and the IP. Think about how many non-creative employees a company like Capcom has that would be completely redundant to what another video game company already has. And they would have to take all of that on or pay for them and then immediately fire them. If anyone buys Capcom, I think it will be some conglomerate that wants to get into video games.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
dont really see any of the big three taking it.

because capcom is a multplatform developer once they have to be tied down to one platform they're drastically reducing their consumer base.

sony would definitely lock it down, nintendo likely the same, microsoft likely with xbox / late on pc.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
All i know is if Dragon's Dogma 2 eventually comes out and there isn't a PS4 version i will fucking rage.

Don't do me dirty, Capcom.

Neoxon

I don't think what we want is even slightly relevant to these billion dollar transactions, but at least Disney has got its head (mostly) screwed on right and appreciates the value of of IP/franchise pulling power.

This isn't what we want though. Of all potential adopters, Nintendo is the only one I think who would be absolutely guaranteed to appreciate just what Capcom is worth and fully utilise it. Anyone else is a possible risk.
While that is true to an extent, millions of gamers would get screwed over (yes, I do own both a Wii U & a 3DS XL). Tons of Sony & Microsoft players would be pissed off by such a buyout. Plus, even though Nintendo could afford to get Capcom, it's more of if such a purchase would be worth it.

Neff

While that is true to an extent, millions of gamers would get screwed over (yes, I do own both a Wii U & a 3DS XL). Tons of Sony & Microsoft players would be pissed off by such a buyout. Plus, even though Nintendo could afford to get Capcom, it's more of if such a purchase would be worth it.

I'd sympathise with anyone super-broke or having to rely on parents for hardware purchases, since we've all been there, but Sony and MS' key 17-38 demographic is a priority to them because it has disposable income, and owning more than one console doesn't exactly break the bank (particularly relevant when Nintendo's has been the cheapest on the market for 3 generations running, exponentially so when factoring in inflation). Exclusives across multiple platforms is as old as gaming itself, and is a frequently-proven lesson that gamers shouldn't expect franchise/hardware relationships to last.

People seem to have a hyper-inflated view of the worth of Capcom's franchises...

Why on earth would Disney want to spend like $1.5B to acquire Capcom? They "only" spent $4B to acquire the Star Wars franchise, and "only" $4B for all of Marvel. And they're going to spend nearly half that... to what? Make The Legend of Chun Li 2?

People seem to have a hyper-inflated view of the worth of Capcom's franchises...

Why on earth would Disney want to spend like $1.5B to acquire Capcom? They "only" spent $4B to acquire the Star Wars franchise, and "only" $4B for all of Marvel. And they're going to spend nearly half that... to what? Make The Legend of Chun Li 2?

Disney's going to buy Capcom's IP so they can make Megaman movies that will sell a hundredth of the box office of Marvel movies, and Nintendo's going to buy Capcom's IP so they can make Megaman games that will sell a tenth as much as Mario.

It's the perfect crime!

madmackem

If somehow ms bought them it would be amazing coupe for them, mun Hun resi street fighter etc exclusive to ms platforms would be amazing for them. Can't see it happening though.

bGanci

Banned
I hope MS does! Monster Hunter for X1 would be awesome.
Dragons Dogma would be also a snag....Need something to fight the Bloodbourne exclusive.

bGanci

Banned
I'm not rude, I just laugh at your fanboy comment that's all.

huh fanboy..calling me that isn't being rude? If i even thought for one second if any of the big three would buy Capcom and keep their IPs multi-plat i would absolutely vote for them.

Disney's going to buy Capcom's IP so they can make Megaman movies that will sell a hundredth of the box office of Marvel movies, and Nintendo's going to buy Capcom's IP so they can make Megaman games that will sell a tenth as much as Mario.

It's the perfect crime!
Lol. It's just so strange and insular. It reminds me of the thread where a bunch of people were convinced that the GoldenEye game was more well-known than the GoldenEye film.

Microsoft's going to buy Capcom to improve their position in the Japanese console market? What? The mind boggles.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well there are problems with a console maker buying capcom.
Sony would be that all games would be exclusive, not a problem for most as more people own PS4's at the moment.
Nintendo problem which will be mainly down to preference would be all games going forward would be limited to the Wii U's hardware, want a current gen RE,probably won't happen until Nextgen and RE7 would probably be a prettier RE6
Microsoft is the same as Sony, but fewer people own a XBOne and Japan will probably never take to Xbox so Capcoms presence in Japan will diminish.
Depends which one you can live with, I'm hoping another 3rd party buys them, if not I say Sony would be the last resort.

Lynn616

Well there are problems with a console maker buying capcom.
Sony would be that all games would be exclusive, not a problem for most as more people own PS4's at the moment.
Nintendo problem which will be mainly down to preference would be all games going forward would be limited to the Wii U's hardware, want a current gen RE,probably won't happen until Nextgen and RE7 would probably be a prettier RE6
Microsoft is the same as Sony, but fewer people own a XBOne and Japan will probably never take to Xbox so Capcoms presence in Japan will diminish.
Depends which one you can live with, I'm hoping another 3rd party buys them, if not I say Sony would be the last resort.

Sony would be the worst. We would never see PC version of any Capcom games.

DevilFox

Sony would be the worst. We would never see PC version of any Capcom games.

Not even with Nintendo. Maybe Microsoft but that's a 50% and they would arrive late.
Anyway, I don't see the problem. Wherever it goes, there will be someone unable to play those games, so.. who cares?

Fucking this. Yes, people will get annoyed about hardware exclusives, but eventually they will get over it. Well, I hope they will, I haven't seen people complaining about Bayonetta 2 for a while.

I'd rather have Capcom be bought out by Nintendo and get a much-needed change in course instead of being bought out by some random conglomerate who is far more interested in turning Capcom into a mobile and f2p cash cow.

Also, there's word of negotiations between Capcom and Tencent, oh, dear, let's hope nothing comes of it.

Lemmy

Banned
Microsoft is the only console maker I believe could realistically buy Capcom, but in all honesty... why would they?

Nothing of any real value remains at Capcom that would justify what would doubtless be a ridiculously high cost to actually do so.

If not for the amount of jobs that would be lost, I'd be all for watching them burn and seeing the coyotes pick over the charred remains tbh. Capcom have gradually become a truly Garbage company over the past decade.

Opiate

Nintendo could afford to get Capcom, it's a question of if it's worth it to them. Sony on the other hand is in pretty bad shape right now outside of great PS4 sales. The problem is that whoever of the Big 3 gets them (if any), millions of gamers get screwed over no matter what.

Honestly, IF western companies can go for Capcom, I wouldn't mind Disney going for it. Yes, it's a long-shot, but they've been needing to break into the gaming space for a while (and not just with Disney Infinity), plus Capcom has proven that they know how to treat the properties they made or now own (DuckTales, Chip n' Dale, Darkwing Duck, the MvC games, etc.). Plus, if anything, it gives Disney a counter to WB Games' ownership of NetherRealm Studios. They'd be third party, so nobody gets screwed over, & it could guarantee Capcom-made Marvel fighters in the foreseeable future.

Say what you want about Capcom's attitude recently, they've still put out a number of good games (Street Fighter, Phoenix Wright, Dead Rising, Dragon's Dogma, & Monster Hunter to name a few).

Disney is doing quite well in the gaming space. They've purposefullyly evacuated consoles, because they see them as dead weight. Their focus on social and mobile now, and they do quite well there.

Coxy

Does BN or SE have enough capital to invest in capcom? I know last gen hasn't been kind to some Japanese devs, SE seems to have been mostly proped up by mobile and eidos.

Could/would Nintendo just convert port studios into support or vc studios. That would lower the amount of layoffs.

Capital? BN Has enough cash on hand to buy capcom outright

Top Bottom