• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's 2 million unit Monster Hunter game for this fiscal year isn't MH: Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're hoping for 3.4 million total sales in Japan this year on that note.

So if we write down 2 million for Monster Hunter X G, that'd give us maybe 500K for Resident Evil 7 (a 50% decline game over game), 500K for Monster Hunter Stories (they're presumably hoping for at least this much?), 300K for Ace Attorney 6 (maybe too much given decline?), and 100K for all back catalog games and every other title released in the year.

...Even with pretty low expectations, this seems like a notably conservative estimate set if we assume it's Japan only.

That's just as I said. 2M for a MH title in Japan, sounds low expectation for a 3DS game, yet it sounds huge expectation for any other platform.

Ridley327

Wasn't Frontier announced for PS4/Vita a while back? I'm wondering if that's the game.

Just for Vita, and it's already come out.

Frontier has been quasi-f2p for a long time now, so the allure of nabbing a retail package is pretty slim for long-term players.

A Vita release? That's what its gotta be right? Right? Most likely Nintendo Portable/Sony (Nintendo?) Home console mixed release. Like the new dragon quest or Toukiden or God Eater.

Neoxon

It's most likely another 3DS game if it's coming out by March 2017. NX won't have enough installed bases to generate 2m sales at that point.
I'd hope that it isn't MH5 if it is 3DS-bound. The thing is kinda on the tail-end of its life, no use in putting another mainline MH game on it.

My money's on MH Generations Ultimate for 3DS & the NX Platform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They're hoping for 3.4 million total sales in Japan this year on that note.

So if we write down 2 million for Monster Hunter X G, that'd give us maybe 500K for Resident Evil 7 (a 50% decline game over game), 500K for Monster Hunter Stories (they're presumably hoping for at least this much?), 300K for Ace Attorney 6 (maybe too much given decline?), and 100K for all back catalog games and every other title released in the year.

...Even with pretty low expectations, this seems like a notably conservative estimate set if we assume it's Japan only.

2 millions could be low / conservative expectations for a Monster Hunter title, but it depends also on the release's time. Imagine the scenario where the game releases in March as a 3DS/NX multi-platform release, 2 millions would be a decent prediction (first week / first two week sales + supplementary shipment for following weeks). I say 3DS/NX multi-platform release because, if it's not on NX as well, they could perfectly release it this Holiday for 3DS alone. In that case, the 2 millions prediction would be way too conservative. But it wouldn't be the first time, either: Capcom's 2.5 millions forecast for Monster Hunter Generations was, after all, on the conservative side.

The same reasoning could explain why the Major Title 1 (which we all assume is Resident Evil 7) is just at 4 millions, for example: it releases in February / March (for PS4/One/PC) , thus there isn't enough time for the game to sells as much as expected, given older titles' performances.

PtM

Banned
Thanks.
You also made me notice how this time there are no platforms indication for any of their titles. Understandable for "MajorTitle 1" and "MajorTitle2", a bit strange for Monster Hunter, considering how they stated it was for 3DS back then, despite no official announcement at the time.
I reckon they want to discourage the media to speculate on the announcement and affect the MHG launch+, so they're as vague as possible.

As for the perceived low number, maybe it'll release late into the fiscal year?

Mupod

Don't see it being XG since they went ahead and localised X already unless they intend on pissing off the MH community in the west.

while I don't think they actually give a shit, it'd probably be smart of them to build in support for DLC expansions in future releases a la super street fighter 4. Japan may happily buy yearly full price standalones but over here I think it'd go over better as cheaper DLC expansions.

as for what this is, 2 million is an interesting number because it could be XG or a console title. I obviously hope it's the latter and think it'd be weird if spinoffs got G expansions. But hey whatever more MH.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Probably XG on the 3DS, having a laugh at people thinking MH is going back to Sony after that company fucked the MH team with P3rd's localization.

Wereroku

Probably XG on the 3DS, having a laugh at people thinking MH is going back to Sony after that company fucked the MH team with P3rd's localization.
You really think Multi-million dollar companies hold grudges? If they see a Sony product as being a worthwhile investment for MH they will release a game on them. Except for Vita of course that is just straight dead.

Eolz

I'd hope that it isn't MH5 if it is 3DS-bound. The thing is kinda on the tail-end of its life, no use in putting another mainline MH game on it.

My money's on MH Generations Ultimate for 3DS & the NX Platform.

Yeah, I doubt MH5 would be on 3DS too, expectations would be higher, and usually a different gen.
X has been partially made to delay that.

TreIII

XG. If they announce it too soon they'll run the risk of DQMJ2 like fan backlash.

They'd also run the risk of undercutting Stories in Japan, which is still getting a hell of a push, and being made by the "main" MonHun dev team. Stories will need enough time to breathe, so, it'll be interesting to see how they work this.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If not 3ds then ps4, i think it there are good chances this could be the case, but honestly i'm more interested in the other two games.

Akki

2 millions could be low / conservative expectations for a Monster Hunter title, but it depends also on the release's time. Imagine the scenario where the game releases in March as a 3DS/NX multi-platform release, 2 millions would be a decent prediction (first week / first two week sales + supplementary shipment for following weeks). I say 3DS/NX multi-platform release because, if it's not on NX as well, they could perfectly release it this Holiday for 3DS alone. In that case, the 2 millions prediction would be way too conservative. But it wouldn't be the first time, either: Capcom's 2.5 millions forecast for Monster Hunter Generations was, after all, on the conservative side.

The same reasoning could explain why the Major Title 1 (which we all assume is Resident Evil 7) is just at 4 millions, for example: it releases in February / March (for PS4/One/PC) , thus there isn't enough time for the game to sells as much as expected, given older titles' performances.

There was a huge decline for MH 4 U compared to MH 4. MH XG will most likely have the usual 20-30% sequel decline aswell. This are the latest updated numbers in march for each game, without digital

16./21. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 5.132 / 3.239.571

17./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 6.100 / 2.498.432

Theres a 23% decline.

. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 4.391 / 2.715.326 (-24%)

Lets say this is the same for MH XG, which results in 2.1 million sales. Considering the stronger competition this year and a potential release in 2017 this forecast is quite realistic.

Kyoufu

while I don't think they actually give a shit, it'd probably be smart of them to build in support for DLC expansions in future releases a la super street fighter 4. Japan may happily buy yearly full price standalones but over here I think it'd go over better as cheaper DLC expansions.

as for what this is, 2 million is an interesting number because it could be XG or a console title. I obviously hope it's the latter and think it'd be weird if spinoffs got G expansions. But hey whatever more MH.

X is no more a "spin-off" than the Portable series which received G expansions :p

The only MH titles I consider to be spin-off is the Felyne stuff.

Syril

X is no more a "spin-off" than the Portable series which received G expansions :p

The only MH titles I consider to be spin-off is the Felyne stuff.
Actually the Portable games were all weird cases. The first Freedom/Portable was based on the already existing Monster Hunter G. The second one was the only one that actually had a separate G version in Freedom Unite/Portable 2nd G, likely because there was never a Monster Hunter 2G and it was apparent by that point that the games were way bigger on handhelds than they were on consoles. Portable 3rd never had a G version, probably because they had moved over the the 3DS and used its new additions for 3 Ultimate.

Eolz

i could see monter hunter xg coming to vita. Or something coming to vita.

Daft Punk

Banned

I'm laughing at people who think money doesn't talk. If you told people 8 years ago that Call of Duty would switch from MS to Sony in terms of marketing and DLC, you would have been laughed at. That's why I'm scratching my head at people who think NX is going to launch with a new MH. What incentive does Capcom have to put out a new game on an unproven platform especially after the Wii U bomba?

lyrick

2 million sounds way too high for a console release, and just about right for a "G" version on the 3DS.

Ridley327

I'm laughing at people who think money doesn't talk. If you told people 8 years ago that Call of Duty would switch from MS to Sony in terms of marketing and DLC, you would have been laughed at. That's why I'm scratching my head at people who think NX is going to launch with a new MH. What incentive does Capcom have to put out a new game on an unproven platform especially after the Wii U bomba?

You...you do know that they already did this when they switched to the 3DS in the first place, right?

Ridley327

The 3DS was the bext step of the wildly successful DS. Not comparable.

Yes it is, especially when you leave behind an audience as big as the one MHP3rd was able to conjure up.

It's easy to forget how quickly MH3G came off the heels of P3rd, and there were a lot of expectations that MHP3G was going to be the MH title that year, especially after the PS3 port of the vanilla version released earlier in that year to solid sales. PSP was still very healthy in Japan, and the 3DS was having a lot of troubles early on.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Cant be nx exclusive because it wouldn't sell that much at launch, and NX is launching in march. So or it is 3ds and nx, or ps4 and pc

Daft Punk

Banned
Yes it is, especially when you leave behind an audience as big as the one MHP3rd was able to conjure up.

It's easy to forget how quickly MH3G came off the heels of P3rd, and there were a lot of expectations that MHP3G was going to be the MH title that year. PSP was still very healthy in Japan, and the 3DS was having a lot of troubles early on.

Yes, but it was a widely held belief that 3DS wasn't selling well due to the lack of big titles. We all know what happened when the first MH dropped on 3DS and the rest is history. Thad why it would make sense for Cap to make MH5 for 3DS only if they choose to go that route. The NX is too unpredictable of a platform to allocate resources to a port especially right after the Wii U. We'll see.

lyrick

What were the sales of Portable 3 HD [PS3]?

The PS3 was still relatively healthy when that hit wasn't it?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Unless they plan to make a PS4 title or they plan to get Tencent Games to port over Monster Hunter Online outside of China than this has to be MHXG.It feels like they did everything they can do with the 3DS already and MHX was already seeings signs of the limitations of the 3DS Hardware and I don't see Capcom making MH5 for 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom