• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's difficult position

faridmon

My opinion of SF5 looking at it from distance is ugly artwork, great animation, but overtly sexualised female rooster. Tekkens female representation is soo much better.

I really hate what SF have become.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Re7 should have been a switch launch title. Easy million plus

Mhxx simultaneous Western launch.
Use synergy of global marketing once.

Sf5 was under baked and single platform.

Just too many bad decisions

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is that you diving into the ambulance after you've discovered how bad the Tekken servers were on launch or was that when your master Harada promised you less input lag yet it was only 0.4 frames less when the patch actually dropped.

iu.gif

And there you go again lashing out on other fighting games out of nowhere when you try to say people are over the top about a FUCKING ROOTKIT BEING INSTALLED IN AN UPDATE.

Is that you diving into the ambulance after you've discovered how bad the Tekken servers were on launch or was that when your master Harada promised you less input lag yet it was only 0.4 frames less when the patch actually dropped.

Tekken 7 worked fine for me at launch on PC. Now I know your response will be that PC doesn't matter so you can save your breath but, PC was pretty damn good at launch. Also this proves the point that you get overly bitchy on anything that isn't SFV.

Chindogg

iu.gif

Please stop attacking other games about lag issues when Capcom tried to spin 8 frames of lag as a feature in SFV.

Anne

What could they do at this point that would make you want to play when you check back in?

Tough question that I'm unsure of. I said I would try it again if they reduced the latency. They did. I tried it again and still ran into more problems so I stopped. It's kind of hard to explain my own personal problems with it since it comes down to some design philosophy stuff. To keep it simple:

Risk/Reward is pretty borked across the board. Players choosing not to tech because getting thrown 4 times is better than getting CH is pretty whack. That leads into the fact that defensive options in this game are weak on a level that doesn't exist much elsewhere. It's very akin to Mortal Kombat. That creates a lot of the problems we have with offense and forcing mix up being too strong(MK is a much different game with their own solutions to this btw. Just made the comparison to point out how different it is to exist in SF). It's also very unlike most SF games so it loses part of the identity. V Trigger being a stronger X Factor in some cases also a pretty big departure and I'm not a fan.

All that being said, I'm still not sure if they changed all of that if I'd play it. Some parts of the SF identity are hard to pin down but it boils down to "walking back and forth is very rewarding on a personal level" for me. The game is so radical with the other stuff I mentioned that I don't actually know how that aspect would play out if things changed.

Anyways this is actually getting p off topic at this point. Only answering cause I've had a presence here and feel like I can give a personal explanation on it.

The game would not exist without Sony's funding. And please stop downplaying Anne and I's participation in knowing what's going on. The blind defense of this game's significant issues is starting to become tiresome.

Basically this. Like I get if you wanna throw shade at us, but like that's just an open thing so I don't get why question it?

MrCarter

I could see the dev team getting shrunken down. Unless the SSFV rumors have some merit & resources are being put towards that update, it would explain the delays for Ibuki, Ed, & Abigail

Dev team might have been pulled to work on MvCi however that doesn't explain why that game looks wonky at the moment if it had more resources.

MTC100

Banned
Megaman sells like trash on average.

That's not entirely true but it sure sells a lot less than Resident Evil sadly...

I am surprised at how often SFV was bought, I didn't expect a fighting game to sell that much, I don't think Capcom has a much bigger market to tap into at this point and they seem to be very pleased with the 450k SF II on Switch, so they expected much less there. I don't know if that would be enough to compensate for the lower than estimated Resident Evil and SF V sales though.

I wonder if Capcom can't just dish out a Resident Evil 8 designed like RE6 for the quick cash and still work on a more horror oriented Resident Evil like 7 was in the future.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That's interesting. I will need to ask SneakersSO if this is true.

Guys if you are going to say something and be part of the community at least do your research. Sony helped to fund a part of the game they didn't completely fund it from scratch. The reason why there are logs everywhere is because it's console exclusive and they sponsor the CPT.

So, can the game be ported to XB1 or Switch? If the answer is no, the money that Sony invested must have been significant.

I think realistically, the main reason Capcom is in a worse position financially than many other Japanese publishers who messed up just as much with their gaming efforts is that they don't have a successful gambling business (this of course includes mobile gatcha and pachinko) to prop them up.

Sad that this actually seems kind of true. Even though people think pulling out of gaming is bad for Konami, they actually make their money elsewhere. I know SE is making bank on mobile games, since they have a ton of apps already and they still are going strong.

I wonder if SF5 can do well with DOA5LR's f2p model. The full game will still exist alongside it, it will expand the playerbase like DOA5LR, while also still bring enough revenue for continual support. They can keep FM as is tbh (but preferably increase the amount gained from playing other people) and it can still work out.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Resident evil was ruined for me after 5 and 6, it turned from survival horror into online COD co-op. RE7 returned to the root, but it is too late already, there are enough high quality survival horror games released during RE's absent that many fanbase had moved on already.

Street fighter 5 is just greedy, after SF4 revived the genre, Capcom learned nothing from that success. SF5 is great competitive game, but merciless online matching is not a good way to introduce new players. If someone new to the genre bought SF5, you just spent $60 to get crush online with no other fun gameplay mode to play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Please stop attacking other games about lag issues when Capcom tried to spin 8 frames of lag as a feature in SFV.
For reals, made the game a mashing mess of fishing for ch's.
and it still is to a lesser extent
Risk/Reward is pretty borked across the board. Players choosing not to tech because getting thrown 4 times is better than getting CH is pretty whack. That leads into the fact that defensive options in this game are weak on a level that doesn't exist much elsewhere.
100% Agree

Garlador

No it can't

Do ANY of us know the actual details? Everything has an expiration, a deadline, a condition.

If they fail to meet a certain sales target, can they port? We don't know. After a period of 5 years, can they port? We don't know. Does this factor in entire revisions or overhauls, a'la Ninja Gaiden Sigma? We don't know.

Or maybe Capcom really was that dense and let Sony have full custody of their numbered SFV title indefinitely. I don't know.

I do wonder, though, if they view the deal as a positive for getting the game out sooner, or a negative because they got rushed out the door so Sony could tout them at EVO (along with the inferior PS4 port of SFIV, lest we forget).

Resident evil was ruined for me after 5 and 6, it turned from survival horror into online COD co-op. RE7 returned to the root, but it is too late already, there are enough high quality survival horror games released during RE's absent that many fanbase had moved on already.

Street fighter 5 is just greedy, after SF4 revived the genre, Capcom learned nothing from that success. SF5 is great competitive game, but merciless online matching is not a good way to introduce new players. If someone new to the genre bought SF5, you just spent $60 to get crush online with no other fun gameplay mode to play.

This is the biggest problem with SFV and fighting games in general.

Capcom's fighters have pretty much ignored the need for significant and compelling single player content in their fighting games... specifically street fighter.

I honestly think that Capcom themselves just don't have it in them and that they should just give SF as a franchise to Arika to make a full SF EX sequel.

Papercuts

Oh you have to remake the old ones first though. They were waaaay before their time.

I feel like Capcom could do a lot just delving more into their old library.

I'm also really surprised RE6 was just kinda one and done after that investment. I thought for sure they would churn out something quick with those mechanics/assets again before RE7 happened.

Neoxon

Do ANY of us know the actual details? Everything has an expiration, a deadline, a condition.

If they fail to meet a certain sales target, can they port? We don't know. After a period of 5 years, can they port? We don't know. Does this factor in entire revisions or overhauls, a'la Ninja Gaiden Sigma? We don't know.

Or maybe Capcom really was that dense and let Sony have full custody of their numbered SFV title indefinitely. I don't know.

I do wonder, though, if they view the deal as a positive for getting the game out sooner, or a negative because they got rushed out the door so Sony could tout them at EVO (along with the inferior PS4 port of SFIV, lest we forget).
They said at PSX 2014 that SFV won't go to any consoles other than PS4 indefinitely.

JayEH

I feel like Capcom could do a lot just delving more into their old library.

I'm also really surprised RE6 was just kinda one and done after that investment. I thought for sure they would churn out something quick with those mechanics/assets again before RE7 happened.

I wish they would. I want a mercs game.

Papercuts

I wish they would. I want a mercs game.

I feel like it's so obvious that I have no idea why it doesn't exist.

Rev 2 raid mode was basically an asset dump of EVERYTHING but that game still feels very budget-y at the core.

MrCarter

There must definitely be some sort of contractual agreement on how long and under what conditions the exclusivity deal will be. I do think going exclusive was a bad idea but then again, if that happened, we wouldn't have cross-play between PC/PS4.

Capcom's fighters have pretty much ignored the need for significant and compelling single player content in their fighting games... specifically street fighter.

I honestly think that Capcom themselves just don't have it in them and that they should just give SF as a franchise to Arika to make a full SF EX sequel.

Arika doesn't have the budget to do that plus their latest offering seems to be a HD fighting layer remix of some sort.

bubumiao

Imagine if Street Fighter V had been released this year, how much different would things be?

Also imagine if it was also available for Xbox One with cross play (PS4 & PC).

Imagine...

MaLDo

They really don't know what they want to be anymore. They had a couple of big misses last gen but those were all entirely their fault and anyone could pinpoint the problems with those titles. Now they're in a position where they're super risk averse and they want AAA results but don't put in the money for it. They never learn from their past mistakes and keep on trucking.

Seriously SFV should have been a homerun after SFIV but they took the brand name for granted and we got half a game at launch. Then you would think Marvel would then be the homerum since they know they fucked up with SFV. Nope they think the only reason SFV bombed was because of story mode so we have a game with a lackluster roster and artsyle.

DmC should have never happened. DMC4 was the peak of the franchise in sales and even exceeded their expectations but they made the genius decision to reboot it. They abandoned the DR fan base lately with 4 even though all the other games had solid sales. Now DR is dead.

There's countless other dumb decisions they've made the last decade. It's so frustrating watching this company with such a great history and clearly still full of talented developers stumble over and over again.

That's a great summary I can agree with.

Even when I think DmC was not a bad game.

Imagine if Street Fighter V had been released this year, how much different would things be?

Also imagine if it was also available for Xbox One with cross play (PS4 & PC).

Imagine...

Is there any game that has Xbone to PS4 crossplay? I imagine that kind of deal would be hard to work out since both sides seem stubborn about it until recently, though IIRC Microsoft is willing to crossplay with Nintendo on Minecraft.

It really sounds like they're putting most of their eggs on the Monster Hunter : World basket. I really hope the game is going to sell as well as they believe... or want to believe. :/

Garlador

They said at PSX 2014 that SFV won't go to any consoles other than PS4 indefinitely.

And that strikes me a bizarrely incorrectly. So no ports to future consoles either, like the PS5? I can't think of a single, solitary third-party exclusive game by a big publisher that was successful and wasn't eventually ported to another system. It took nearly a decade, but even games like Dead Rising 1, funded by Microsoft, came to PS4, while Resident Evil 4, the game that "would be only on Gamecube or I'd cut off my head" is probably their most ported game in the series now. So many Capcom titles that I have with "exclusively on..." covers came out for future systems, no matter what any executive or developer said or who helped fund it.

I guess Metal Gear Solid 4 is the one example where I thought for sure we'd have a port by now. Konami surprised me on that one, but I wager that has more to do with develop issues and Konami in general imploding.

Again, if they were smart when making that deal, they'd have an out. Executives lie through their teeth every day, but none of us know the particulars. They can say whatever they want, but if there's one thing Capcom has a proven track record of never being consistent on, it's exclusivity.

Re7 should have been a switch launch title. Easy million plus

Mhxx simultaneous Western launch.
Use synergy of global marketing once.

Sf5 was under baked and single platform.

Just too many bad decisions
I can get RE7. They were busy with the other versions and they'd need to do quite a bit to get it on Switch. It also would've been 2 months late.
MHXX should've a launch title. Came out in March or pretty close to Switch launch and should've been a really easy port.

SFV's platforms likely didn't hold it back much. Don't see XB1's limited audience doing anything drastically different for the game vs losing Sony's marketing push.

cordy

Banned
I stick to the idea that for their next SF game they need to get us back to the Alpha series. Don't skip straight to SFVI (which they'll probably wanna do) but experiment with Alpha. Not only can they bring back some of the Alpha gameplay but they can experiment with a new visual style. As of right now a good amount of people associate IV and V's style in the same similar bracket so they gotta differentiate it otherwise people will just be saying "it's the same type of graphics" like they've been saying, even in this thread. You get some new visuals and that'll help out. I don't know if that'll "save" anything but shit it'll be a great shakeup.

As of right now a SSFV won't be getting all these people back that they missed during the first year no matter what they do. It might help those who bought SFV and dropped off but for most others the boat's sailed. People always say "Capcom can get players who haven't picked it up if they-" for the longest time. People said it when the first wave of DLC came out, people said "once EVO hits that'll do it", people said it once Black Friday hit. We've seen it.

They gotta do something else because the shit that people said towards it's sales, said by people who regularly play the game, just ain't it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

It is not a problem with fighting game in general, it is a Capcom problem.

If you buy Blazblue right now, any version, even if you are hopeless in fighting game, you still get a 30 hours long story mode in the forms of Visual Novel, it also had other single player modes like arcade (with arcade story), challenges, time abyss, Score Attack, and a full on tutorial. Not to mention all the tiny bonus bit, like recap story from older game, ingame wiki, bonus story, etcetc.

Just look at all the games featured in Evo 2017, Capcom always stand out when it comes to releasing a fighting game with bare bone minimum. At this point it is hard not to suspect they are just milking their playerbase till it dry... again like back in SF2 and 3 days.

Metal B

The game would not exist without Sony's funding. And please stop downplaying Anne and I's participation in knowing what's going on. The blind defense of this game's significant issues is starting to become tiresome.
This is something, i still not get. Why did Capcom needed the funding of Sony? They are a big company and Street Fighter IV was a big success, why was there a need to get Sony involved. Either Sony came to them first and asked for it (with a fixed date, which created a lot of problems in the aftermath) or some higher ups wanted the franchise to die after IV, by not investing in it. Why miss out on sales for the Xbox One and maybe the Switch and have an exclusive deal for a game, which wasn't in any danger to be a disappointment (unless of course you fuck up the launch badly). I get, what Sony was winning (the don't have an exclusive fighter for PlayStation 4), but why would Capcom agree to it.
By comparison i can understand Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2 and Bomberman. There wasn't a big interest from the IP owners to develop those games. But Nintendo notice a market there and they wanted to expand the library of there consoles (yet i'm still wondering, why either Nintendo didn't fond or Capcom was refusing to make a Mega Man game after the reveal of Mega Man for Smash 4. There was such a big hype for the Blue Bomber and they didn't capitalized on it!).

This is something, i still not get. Why did Capcom needed the funding of Sony? They are a big company and Street Fighter IV was a big success, why was there a need to get Sony involved. Either Sony came to them first and asked for it (with a fixed date, whcih created a lot of problems in the aftermath) or some higher ups wanted the franchise to die after IV, by not investing in it. Why miss out on sales for the Xbox One and maybe the Switch and have an exclusive deal for a game, which wasn't in any danger to be a disappointment (unless of course you fuck up the launch badly). I get, what Sony was winning (the don't have an exclusive fighter for PlayStation 4), but why would Capcom agree to it.
By comparison i can understand Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2 and Bomberman. There wasn't a big interest from the IP owners to develop those games. But Nintendo notice a market there and they wanted to expand the liberty of there consoles (yet i'm still wondering, why either Nintendo didn't fond or Capcom was refusing to make a Mega Man game after the reveal of Mega Man for Smash 4. There was such a big hype for the Blue Bomber and they didn't capitalized on it!).

They probably burned the money pursuing other endeavors. IIRC they spent a lot of Monster Hunter money on mobile apps that didn't give them the return they wanted, so I assume something similar would happen to other revenue they gained. Also a lot of money must have been burned on Panta Rhei which wasn't even utilized. Sort of like SE and the engine they tried to make for FF15.

Old thread about it MonHun profits into mobile studio
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726520

JayEH

is that sales data physical only?

Capcom usually includes digital.

I stick to the idea that for their next SF game they need to get us back to the Alpha series. Don't skip straight to SFVI (which they'll probably wanna do) but experiment with Alpha. Not only can they bring back some of the Alpha gameplay but they can experiment with a new visual style. As of right now a good amount of people associate IV and V's style in the same similar bracket so they gotta differentiate it otherwise people will just be saying "it's the same type of graphics" like they've been saying, even in this thread. You get some new visuals and that'll help out. I don't know if that'll "save" anything but shit it'll be a great shakeup.

As of right now a SSFV won't be getting all these people back that they missed during the first year no matter what they do. It might help those who bought SFV and dropped off but for most others the boat's sailed. People always say "Capcom can get players who haven't picked it up if they-" for the longest time. People said it when the first wave of DLC came out, people said "once EVO hits that'll do it", people said it once Black Friday hit. We've seen it.

They gotta do something else because the shit that people said towards it's sales, said by people who regularly play the game, just ain't it.

Why specifically alpha? Do you want to go back to that for the story or the gameplay mechanics? Or do you just want a spin off in general?

They probably burned the money pursuing other endeavors. IIRC they spent a lot of Monster Hunter money on mobile apps that didn't give them the return they wanted, so I assume something similar would happen to other revenue they gained. Also a lot of money must have been burned on Panta Rhei which wasn't even utilized. Sort of like SE and the engine they tried to make for FF15.

That's kind of hilarious and tragic

MrCarter

It is not a problem with fighting game in general, it is a Capcom problem.

If you buy Blazblue right now, any version, even if you are hopeless in fighting game, you still get a 30 hours long story mode in the forms of Visual Novel, it also had other single player modes like arcade (with arcade story), challenges, time abyss, Score Attack, and a full on tutorial. Not to mention all the tiny bonus bit, like recap story from older game, ingame wiki, bonus story, etcetc.

Just look at all the games featured in Evo 2017, Capcom always stand out when it comes to releasing a fighting game with bare bone minimum. At this point it is hard not to suspect they are just milking their playerbase till it dry... again like back in SF2 and 3 days.

What are you talking about. SFV has story, challenges, survival, tutorials, demonstrations and trials. Only thing missing is a solid arcade mode. You mentioned other games, well Tekken 7, IIRC doesn't have any tutorials, demonstrations or challenges.

As for SSFV, if it includes more modes for casuals with a new UI/UX and make refinements to gameplay I'm sure it will do well. If not, the game isn't really going anywhere as it's one of the most popular in the FGC. Smash being a close second.

qcf x2

It's the SFV kneejerk defense: ignore real issues that are mentioned and instead bash a different game out of nowhere. Can't really answer why everything non-combat is so slow and clunky, let's talk about another game's player base. Look, behind you! It's always some conspiracy against Capcom, the disconnect is real.

Capcom usually includes digital.

Why specifically alpha? Do you want to go back to that for the story or the gameplay mechanics? Or do you just want a spin off in general?

He probably meant because Alpha was a marked departure from the foundational games in many ways: graphics, gameplay (introduction of multi-stock super meter, counters), the vastly different look of most returning characters, the ISMs later on... it felt experimental and fresh. I think Alpha is overrated in terms of gameplay, but even I think (and have said) that Alpha 4 would be a good idea. Of course, nothing is a good idea if the current Capcom methodology is applied.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What are you talking about. SFV has story, challenges, survival, tutorials, demonstrations and trials. Only thing missing is a solid arcade mode. You mentioned other games, well Tekken 7, IIRC doesn't have any tutorials, demonstrations or challenges.

As for SSFV, if it includes more modes for casuals with a new UI/UX and make refinements to gameplay I'm sure it will do well. If not, the game isn't really going anywhere as it's one of the most popular in the FGC. Smash being a close second.

Those mode are garbage, though.

Metal B

Capcom really needs to fire there whole financial and marketing departments and replace them with people, who know how to do their job (which summaries this thread).

cordy

Banned

Just a spin-off in general. Depending on what they've wanna do with the graphic style too but Alpha's a series people want back and it's established. Besides that it's good for experimentation before eventually doing another mainline SF series.

qcf x2

I just want to add, it seems like a mjaority opinion on GAF sometimes that "Capcom made SFV for the hardcore FGC and not for the casuals" and like, it can't be said enough that even hardcore players don't want it. It failed at every conceivable level and there's no way around that. "The gameplay is fine the launch was just bad" is the other myth I don't understand getting repeated when lots of players will tell you otherwise. Hell, it's pretty commonly accepted that the gameplay got even worse over time thanks to Season 2 even among SFV diehard players.

That sucks too, because a lot fo the people sitting here talking about how bad SFV is actually like and play Street Fighter games. SFV has a lot of characters people like, it has some elements of SF people like, and it's not that hard to get into. But for every time I see Tokido do a cool thing, or even look at some characters and get an urge to go back in, I see the huge myriads of problems with the game and just don't bother.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread talking about SFV being bad that is also checking updates for SFV every now and then in hopes that it gets better to play. That's what kinda sucks about it. Seeing people talk about how SFV is such a great entry to a series that a lot of people respect while it's clearly ruining SF for a lot of people is some pretty asinine shit. Saying it's great when decision makers in the community have to start thinking about the negative impacts that are on the table right now just makes you look stupid.

Great post, I couldn't agree more. There are many of us lifelongs who are just about ready to give up on the series until something drastic changes in the methodology being employed, something I never thought I'd feel. I still check on update notes every once in a while, but it's pretty clear that they are simply uninterested in fixing some major things. They're not looking to build on the userbase from here on out; the prize $ will keep the top pros around, which will keep the twitch viewers around and that's enough for them, it seems.

Top Bottom