• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Kinsei

Banned
Does the person that set the challenge times have three hands? For book 1 chapter 17 I had to balance the gamepad on my knee while using my right hands index finger for the touch screen, middle finger to hold down the B button, and ring finger for the right stick just to have a chance at beating it.

Just found the Golden Mushroom in Book 1, Chapter 12. **** you game!
It is hidden in the ocean floor.
Edit: Challenge times only gets you a star near your time

If you do all of the challenge times in a book you get stars on the cover.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And here I am, finishing the last collectibles in SM3DW.. I'm not envious of you, guys. Not one bit.

If you do all of the challenge times in a book you get stars on the cover.
Thanks, not worth it then since it is as strict as Sly Cooper.
I figured out hidden mushrooms. It is an invisible turnip and will rumble just a bit (not enough for a clue).

zroid

Banned
And here I am, finishing the last collectibles in SM3DW.. I'm not envious of you, guys. Not one bit.

image.php

karma!

OmegaDL50

So I guess the Diamond is the newest member of inanimate objects with faces to be introduced to the Mario series

200px-Captain_Toad_Gem.jpg

Alongside the Turnip, Power Star, Super Mushroom, Fire/Ice Flower, and Cloud.

Typical Mario charm, that fits with the series.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What resolution does this game render at?

I only wanna know because I'm probably going to stream it.

Just downloaded it. Really liking it!

I think the gyro controls are a bit annoying if I'm playing sitting down, but if I play standing up and actually turning it's a whole different beast and it's sooo fun with the gyro then. Wish it was toggleable though.

Richie

So I guess the Diamond is the newest member of inanimate objects with faces to be introduced to the Mario series

200px-Captain_Toad_Gem.jpg

Alongside the Turnip, Power Star, Super Mushroom, Fire/Ice Flower, and Cloud.

Typical Mario charm, that fits with the series.

It's funny how white scleras would instantly transform them into Rare objects.

I grabbed it from the official Captain Toad website, which uses the pattern in a yellow tint, and then made it white. I'm about to head to bed right now (EU here), so I'll upload it tomorrow for you, provided someone else hasn't already linked you one by then :).

That would be great thanks! I had a look but couldn't find any media packs on the CT site :(

zroid

Banned
A few stages in I think I can say pretty safely that I don't have any issues with the gyro. If you find the camera to be flailing about against your will I think you ought to reconsider how you support the GamePad because that shouldn't happen. I rest my forearms on my legs while seated so my hands are quite steady.

That said, I don't like the gyro camera controls at all, it's pretty much just a nuisance. I expect I will use it for the mine cart stages but no others, so there really should be a way to turn it off. Doesn't make much sense that you can't. Weird oversight.

I also agree with what someone mentioned earlier, the two zoom levels are a bit too limiting. If granular zooming isn't possible, then at least a third setting would've been nice.

dhonk

DAT IMAGE QUALITY

Seriously though, anyone else really impressed by the visuals here? On my plasma, its like playing a pre render.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does the person that set the challenge times have three hands? For book 1 chapter 17 I had to balance the gamepad on my knee while using my right hands index finger for the touch screen, middle finger to hold down the B button, and ring finger for the right stick just to have a chance at beating it.
I think someone at Nintendo thought people would make heavy use of tilting the controller for the camera.

I wonder if this game will get DLC, seems like a good candidate.

ohlawd

should I even bother getting 100%

on the first fucking level, I missed the Gold Mushroom. most of these levels I gotta play twice >_>

Travo

I'm just amazed at how nice and clean the textures are. My jaw drops at just about every level. Dat dragon and lava! It looks like clay work sometimes.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since I'm on a SM3DW sabbatical at the moment *looks in Shibata's general direction*, I was really surprised to see that SM3DW actually does screen-space reflections. It's a rather novel GI-style technique that some new engines make good use of (e.g. UT4 brags the hell out of it); it allows scene objects (and not just skyboxes) to affect the look of specular/glossy objects. Case in point - a glossy wall catches some purple reflection from a purple brick nearby; Mario pops the brick and voila - the reflection is gone.

So SM3DW is not just a game filled with some state-of-the-art art, it actually features some advanced lighting techniques. No wonder CT:TT looks so darn Pixarish, given they could focus mainly on models and use the otherwise solid lighting foundations.

TheMoon

What resolution does this game render at?

I only wanna know because I'm probably going to stream it.

720 like SM3DW

Since I'm on a SM3DW sabbatical at the moment *looks in Shibata's general direction*, I was really surprised to see that SM3DW actually does screen-space reflections. It's a rather novel GI-style technique that some new engines make good use of (e.g. UT4 brags the hell out of it); it allows scene objects (and not just skyboxes) to affect the look of specular/glossy objects. Case in point - a glossy wall catches some purple reflection from a purple brick nearby; Mario pops the brick and voila - the reflection is gone.

So SM3DW is not just a game filled with some state-of-the-art art, it actually features some advanced lighting techniques. No wonder CT:TT looks so darn Pixarish, given they could focus mainly on models and use the otherwise solid lighting foundations.

Huh that's cool! But I guess unless they do an engine walkthrough video pimping this stuff we'll keep hearing "it's just because art!" until the end of eternity.

Grizzo

I'm trying to avoid this thread like the plague because I'm mad as hell I have to wait 4 more weeks to play it.

Glad to see people are having fun with it though! And it also seems to look very nice judging by some posters' reactions :D

The gyro controls aren't bad. It's just that when you get the camera where you want it with the stick and it suddenly goes out of whack because you moved the GamePad, it gets a little annoying. It's not a huge complaint in any way. I'd just like the option to turn it on or off.

zroid

Banned
should I even bother getting 100%

on the first fucking level, I missed the Gold Mushroom. most of these levels I gotta play twice >_>

I knew where it was because I already played that level at a Best Buy kiosk demo :lol

missed it the first time :^(

Downhome

I just realized that I have two $5 codes from the digital promotion that I haven't used that I got over the course of this year. That pretty much seals the deal, I'm downloading this one. Awesome!

Gino

I'm loving this game. It's great that we can still get a big budget game that is just concentrated puzzles like this.

The cute charicters and fun story presentation helps too.

I do not regret spending the 40$.

Raw64life

Played through the first book and enjoying it. Gyro stuff is a minor annoyance but nothing game breaking. And as someone who won't move on until I 100% a stage, I wish they'd tell you what the challenge is right away instead of waiting until after you beat it. I guess I could always just look it up but still.

zroid

Banned
I kind of like trying to guess what the bonus challenge is and attempting it on my first run. lol

like I was playing the Shy Guy courtyard one last night and I correctly guessed but after screwing it up on my first try I just decided to finish the level and attempt it the next time (without needing to grab the diamonds)

AdanVC

Does someone in Mexico is having problems on finding a copy of this game? Every damn retail store says the game was "delayed". Some say it'll be until tomorrow, some other says it'll be till next week. Ugh.

I kind of like trying to guess what the bonus challenge is and attempting it on my first run. lol

like I was playing the Shy Guy courtyard one last night and I correctly guessed but after screwing it up on my first try I just decided to finish the level and attempt it the next time (without needing to grab the diamonds)

I like doing that as well. I guessed right with the Shy Guy courtyard too. Can't do much with cases like the second level
(Walleye Temple Tumble)
though. Or the cases where you are forced to repeat the level to get the diamonds and the bonus.

Malus

I agree. You don't know whether you need to collect as many coins as possible, find a hidden mushroom, kill all the enemies, not take damage, etc, so you just end up trying to do as much of that as possible. Which is kinda neat compared to just completing the one task and cheesing the rest of the stage.

There are also some challenges that change the way you approach the stage on replay, like not being spotted by an enemy or only tapping the platforms 3 times.

Btw, I'm on Book 3 and this is probably my GOTY so far.

maxcriden

This is a lovely game and I'm really enjoying it. With that said, just a couple of minor quibbles:

一) I understand the desire to simplify with the zoom button having only one extreme degree of zoom, but for those of us without massive TVs the basic zoom level is a bit too zoomed out. I'd like a middle ground option. It could always be toggled on/off if it could bother people.

二) The game is a bit dizzying to play at times. I wonder if the 360 degree rotation that's so easy to do doesn't feel a bit overwhelming at times. It's hard to articulate but I feel like the spinning dioramas have a slightly nauseating quality to them, especially at 60 fps. It just depends if you're sensitive to this as I sometimes find I am.

Has anyone else had these issues, esp. the second one? I did see some comments in re: zooming in earlier in the thread. :)

We're...14? 15? stages in so far and loving it otherwise!

二) The game is a bit dizzying to play at times. I wonder if the 360 degree rotation that's so easy to do doesn't feel a bit overwhelming at times. It's hard to articulate but I feel like the spinning dioramas have a slightly nauseating quality to them, especially at 60 fps. It just depends if you're sensitive to this as I sometimes find I am.

Now that you mention it, I do have a headache after completing just five levels a little while ago. Could be the spinning since, for me to get a headache, I'd have to play for a few hours straight. That's the only way I get them when gaming. I didn't even think of that as the culprit until now.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find the press pictures used in the OT?

Im livid, they didnt include profiles like Mario 3D World, that means I have to share a save with my wife and my daughter, by the time she gets to the game, everything will be unlocked by me or her :(

Any work around? Super bummed about this.

maxcriden

Im livid, they didnt include profiles like Mario 3D World, that means I have to share a save with my wife and my daughter, by the time she gets to the game, everything will be unlocked by me or her :(

I'm fairly sure if you go into the game through different NNIDs on your Wii U, each will have a unique save file. I hope I'm right! :)

zroid

Banned

well if you login with a different Mii, it creates a new save file

Played the first 15 or so levels last night. So far I am not a fan.

The camera sucks. Zoomed out is too far to see anything, zoomed in is too close to avoid hazards.
Stage rotation gets out of control really fast.
Gimmick stages really suck. By that I mean the spin the wheel, touch the platforms, or aim and shoot. There's no reason why that couldn't also be done with regular controls for people who don't really care for the gimmicks. As it is, you need three hands to play the damn game.

I am really disappointed. Was hoping for a breezy adventure, but I got a bout of frustrating controller wrestling instead.

maxcriden

Now that you mention it, I do have a headache after completing just five levels a little while ago. Could be the spinning since, for me to get a headache, I'd have to play for a few hours straight. That's the only way I get them when gaming. I didn't even think of that as the culprit until now.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find the press pictures used in the OT?

I think the spinning might be a culprit for sure. Try spinning less, playing zoomed-in if possible (that helps me I think at times) in certain levels, and I know that in one level where we briefly
went upside-down
that that definitely was more dizzying and headache-inducing for us.

I am really disappointed. Was hoping for a breezy adventure, but I got a bout of frustrating controller wrestling instead.
It is a mixed bag for me.
I like Chapter 2 and 3. I hate Chapter 1 and Chapter Extra.
Chapter Extra is 4 3D World levels, levels where Toads replace diamonds, levels with Mummy Toad, and cutscene levels.
I would give it a 6/10 for Puzzle fans.

Holy shit I'm loving this game. The slow exploratory place feels real good to me and I love just taking my time and looking at every angle trying to discover secrets. Nintendo really nailed the vibe with this one. Beautiful levels.

I love this game so much. Way more than I was expecting. It is gorgeous too. Also I have had 0 camera or control issues. I'm either lucky or you guys are all crazy.

Top Bottom