• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybara/Cartoon Network announce OK K.O.! Lets Be Heroes (consoles/PC)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nsuf3bwyvqy6y4erifykelx0n.png

Kotaku said:
It's sharing a Cartoon Network Games panel on Saturday with OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes, a console game based on the upcoming show, featuring the work of artist Ian Jones-Quartey and developed by Capybara Games of Super Time Force and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP fame.
Source: http://kotaku.com/steven-universe-rpg-coming-to-consoles-this-summer-1793111666

Polygon said:
Due out later this year, Capy Games' take on the new show will be an action game with role-playing elements. Beyond that, both the show and the game remain mostly under wraps for now, although avid Cartoon Network watchers are already familiar with the name. The series made its debut alongside a mobile game released last February, called OK K.O.! Lakewood Plaza Turbo. Cartoon Network posted short animated videos based on the game to its YouTube alongside the iOS and Android release, the studio's first original mobile tile.

Update: Cartoon Network announced in a press release that the game is due for both consoles and Windows PC, not just PlayStation 4. We've updated the story above to reflect this.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/9/14871652/capy-games-ok-ko-lets-be-heroes-ps4-release

It's definitely multi-platform. Brawler-meets-RPG is the way its described, but like many games it doesn't fit totally in that description. There's definitely punching robots, though.

Also, we have 2 teams and always have made 2 games at once, so Below is still trucking.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm 100% behind anything Capy touches.

Just saw the OP for this new show on Facebook as well. Could be cool!

It's definitely multi-platform. Brawler-meets-RPG is the way its described, but like many games it doesn't fit totally in that description. There's definitely punching robots, though.

Also, we have 2 teams and always have made 2 games at once, so Below is still trucking.

doop_

Banned

Is it coming to the switch ?

Tizoc

These action/beat'em-up RPGs need grapplers. Like Zangief/Haggar grapplers.
I wanna pile driver robots and lariat their faces.
Capy pls.

Psxphile

I think he's referring to a 3rd recently released console like device.

It's the wrong assumption. Article is fine.

Guess it depends on whether or not you consider Switch a console.

On topic, this is great but that show really needs to get aired if they want more people to get excited about it. CN is really dragging their heels on this one, they've been sneaking short animations on their youtube channel for months.

LKSmash

It's the wrong assumption. Article is fine.

Guess it depends on whether or not you consider Switch a console.

They way it's worded they could be referring to 100 consoles. The "both" isn't describing the number of consoles.

Still absolutely nothing wrong with what Polygon said.

I agree with you all, just pointing out he seemed to be eagerly defensive that Polygon might not have considered the Switch a console.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't think they mean it as "two consoles" but rather "both consoles and PC"

I don't think that's the case because the only consoles it's apparently coming out for are Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and they didn't even specify they were talking about Xbox One.

Still, eh.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think that's the case because the only consoles it's apparently coming out for are Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and they didn't even specify they were talking about Xbox One.

Still, eh.

Actually, a CapyBara representative came here to specify it's just "consoles and PC" for now, with PS4 specified due to PSBlog's post.

Epcott

Nice to see Lakewood Plaza still lives and is rebranded.

Awesome to see a competent studio is working on a game for it.

Hype!

(Secretly hopes for a Star VS Forces of Evil game in the future)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I like the look of these screens, have never heard of the cartoon though.Just looked up the creator and like Capybara he's pretty much only worked on great things so that has to be some sort of good sign.

For those who don't know, the main character K.O. is voiced by none other than Stephanie Nadolny, aka, the original Kid Goku and Kid/Teen Gohan.

It certainly has been a long time coming. This new style from the intro is much more striking, though.

As awesome as it looks, I wouldn't expect the show to look like that. That's Studio TRIGGER doing the opening, so things are bound to look awesome.

I do like the finalized character designs and overall style though.

If you think it's crazy seeing the pilot and the shorts eventually turn into this, try following Ian Jones-Quartey's work for the past 15+ years. I used to read his RPG World comic back when he regularly updated in the early 2000s. I was a freshman in high school then, and now I'm teaching at that same high school. I'm so freaking happy that he finally has his own show on Cartoon Network. If there's anyone who can do video game parodies, it's him.

TimmiT

As awesome as it looks, I wouldn't expect the show to look like that. That's Studio TRIGGER doing the opening, so things are bound to look awesome.

I doubt the show will look as great as the intro, but the animation in the shorts was pretty good. They did get a lot of different animators to do them though and I wonder if that's something that'll carry over to the full show.

If you think it's crazy seeing the pilot and the shorts eventually turn into this, try following Ian Jones-Quartey's work for the past 15+ years. I used to read his RPG World comic back when he regularly updated in the early 2000s. I was a freshman in high school then, and now I'm teaching at that same high school. I'm so freaking happy that he finally has his own show on Cartoon Network. If there's anyone who can do video game parodies, it's him.

Ian is, honestly, one of the most talented people I've ever met. He's been a driving force in our collaboration along with Toby Jones, his partner on the show (who has a similarly rad path to KO).

The biggest strength is that they play videogames. Lots of them. And then they made a show where videogames are at the core - not in some HEY LOOK VIDEOGAMES way, but more thoughtful and creatively.

Top Bottom