• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car needs an engine replacement. Go for it or get something new?

Al-ibn Kermit

One thing you could do is tear out all the useful bits from your Mustang and then call a junkyard to take the bare shell away. You might get another one or two grand just from parts in the car (if you're super thorough) and the junkyard will write you a check for probably $100 bucks or so since they pay by weight.

Alright guys, I got two options. And when I say I got two options, I mean I got two options. I've talked to my credit union [I can't get a loan, turns out my shithead father did some real damage to my credit by taking out some stuff in my name when I was younger], I've checked every local dealer and private seller, these are my options. So please don't say "both options suck", I know they do, they're my only ones.

Option 1: 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. 153,000 miles. $2500.

Option 2: 2006 Impala. 160,000 miles. $3650.

Both are in impeccable shape on the exterior. Neither have engine lights or any visible problems. I'm told Crossfire might have more electrical problems that are expensive to fix, but the Impala will cost a lot more up front.

So what do you guys think I should go with?

Looking them up:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2006/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysler/Crossfire/2004/

The Crossfire seems like a better buy and if the car dies again, at least it's less money down the drain. Normally I would recommend spending a lot more to get a reliable daily driver but if there's no other options then I would suggest the Crossfire.

The Crossfire may have electrical issues but you're going to have to get used to learning how to work on cars a little. The "good" thing about electrical problems is that often the parts aren't too expensive/labor intensive to replace compared to broken transmission or whatever.

For the Impala, I've never been in those cars but I can confirm the automatic transmissions are super fragile. Are both cars you're looking at automatics?

Dishwalla

Banned
One thing you could do is tear out all the useful bits from your Mustang and then call a junkyard to take the bare shell away. You might get another one or two grand just from parts in the car (if you're super thorough) and the junkyard will write you a check for probably $100 bucks or so since they pay by weight.

The thing with the Mustang is it won't be difficult to sell off even in it's current condition, there are plenty of people with more time and money than the OP that will buy something like that and slam a V-8 in it and turn it into a street rod. If you live in any type of town of any size you shouldn't have any issue selling the car as is for $1000 or more. He shouldn't need to go through the trouble of tearing the car apart and trying to get a junkyard to take the scraps. Cars like Mustangs are pretty easy to sell off, in any condition, it's what happens when a car like that becomes such a hobbyist car.

wihio

I agree with everyone who says to buy a "new" car from an actual dealership (not used car lot), put 2k or so down, pay off the rest over time, and sell your Mustang for a few months buffer on payments.

You will build credit while driving a reliable waranteed vehicle. The alternative is truly a gamble. Do not buy any car over 120000 miles... So many things need to be done as parts will simply begin to fail.

My wife bought a brand new Toyota Yaris (Manual trans) for like $11,000 years ago in college and we drove that thing over 200k and NEVER had a problem. She built great credit, the car was reliable, got over 35mpg, and it was still worth nearly 2k as a trade in 7 years later. I see many used Yaris' in Houston well within your price range, and Toyota has a special for 1.9apr for 72 months right now...

I agree with everyone who says to buy a "new" car from an actual dealership (not used car lot), put 2k or so down, pay off the rest over time, and sell your Mustang for a few months buffer on payments.

You will build credit while driving a reliable waranteed vehicle. The alternative is truly a gamble. Do not buy any car over 120000 miles... So many things need to be done as parts will simply begin to fail.

My wife bought a brand new Toyota Yaris (Manual trans) for like $11,000 years ago in college and we drove that thing over 200k and NEVER had a problem. She built great credit, the car was reliable, got over 35mpg, and it was still worth nearly 2k as a trade in 7 years later. I see many used Yaris' in Houston well within your price range, and Toyota has a special for 1.9apr for 72 months right now...

Sadly not an option right now. My credit is deeply compromised due to my father's actions I mentioned in a previous post, and I have to fix it before I can get any loans.

I've looked into it. In two years, I will be doing something like this, but I need wheels 'til then.

Al-ibn Kermit

The thing with the Mustang is it won't be difficult to sell off even in it's current condition, there are plenty of people with more time and money than the OP that will buy something like that and slam a V-8 in it and turn it into a street rod. If you live in any type of town of any size you shouldn't have any issue selling the car as is for $1000 or more. He shouldn't need to go through the trouble of tearing the car apart and trying to get a junkyard to take the scraps. Cars like Mustangs are pretty easy to sell off, in any condition, it's what happens when a car like that becomes such a hobbyist car.

You make a good point. I think the Youtuber Chrisfix actually did a series about turning an early 2000s Mustang into a drift car so it's probably been a popular car with the hobbyist community for a while.

wihio

Sadly not an option right now. My credit is deeply compromised due to my father's actions I mentioned in a previous post, and I have to fix it before I can get any loans.

I've looked into it. In two years, I will be doing something like this, but I need wheels 'til then.

Sorry I missed that, that really sucks :( I would avoid major mechanical work at all costs. Too many things can and will go wrong, and you will find yourself committed to sinking more and more chasing other issues. Find something else in your price range, preferably with less than 125k miles.

molotrok

For 3 grand, try to find a 2006+ chevy impala or monte carlo with a 3.9 liter engine. My dad has a 2007 impala, and I had a 2006 monte carlo, with that engine and both broke 200k with absolutely no major problems. I had to replace a faulty sensor and thats it. My Monte carlo had 225k miles when I passed it down to my sister. Parts are readily available and cheap.

After a quick search on Craigslist I found these cars going around 3500, without haggling.

For 3 grand, try to find a 2006+ chevy impala or monte carlo with a 3.9 liter engine. My dad has a 2007 impala, and I had a 2006 monte carlo, with that engine and both broke 200k with absolutely no major problems. I had to replace a faulty sensor and thats it. My Monte carlo had 225k miles when I passed it down to my sister. Parts are readily available and cheap.

After a quick search on Craigslist I found these cars going around 3500, without haggling.

There's a lot in my area but they're, remarkably, mostly more expensive and in worse shape than the Crossfire. Closer to 200K miles, often rusty.

Small update:

Impala got sold out from under my nose.

Crossfire was in limp mode. Accelerated great to 50, then went dead. Transmission issue,maybe just a sensor, maybe the entire transmission. Told the guy to fix it and call me back, if he can drive it across town to me I'll consider it. Not even risking it otherwise.

So I'm back at square one, surfing shitty cars on Craigslist. Talked to credit union again, loan terms aren't in my favor right now. Still going to try, maybe get lucky.

FyreWulff

I'd pass on that Crossfire, the transmission is dead as fuck and will cost you just as much as a beater car because they'll get it working "just enough"

lem0n

Small update:

Impala got sold out from under my nose.

Crossfire was in limp mode. Accelerated great to 50, then went dead. Transmission issue,maybe just a sensor, maybe the entire transmission. Told the guy to fix it and call me back, if he can drive it across town to me I'll consider it. Not even risking it otherwise.

So I'm back at square one, surfing shitty cars on Craigslist. Talked to credit union again, loan terms aren't in my favor right now. Still going to try, maybe get lucky.

They're lame, but mid 00s Corollas and Civics are your best bet right now. You want something that will get you to work and back and not give you any issues, as you are trying to build your credit. You don't want any surprise issues popping up. It's tempting to get a nicer car with maybe more miles or some small issues but trust me... go boring for a bit, get on your feet financially, and then sell when you can get a good loan for something nice.

Zaphod

They're lame, but mid 00s Corollas and Civics are your best bet right now. You want something that will get you to work and back and not give you any issues, as you are trying to build your credit. You don't want any surprise issues popping up. It's tempting to get a nicer car with maybe more miles or some small issues but trust me... go boring for a bit, get on your feet financially, and then sell when you can get a good loan for something nice.

Best car advice ever, although I'd throw in their mid-sized cousins as well. It's not just brand loyalty, Toyota and Honda produce more cars that can consistantly reach 200k miles than other brands. Yes, no car is perfect, but if you need a car to last for a few years and can only afford a car with about 150k miles on it, it makes sense to pick the most reliable models available. Also, a manual transmission is a great way to increase the fun and decrease the purchase price of your next vehicle.

lem0n

Best car advice ever, although I'd throw in their mid-sized cousins as well. It's not just brand loyalty, Toyota and Honda produce more cars that can consistantly reach 200k miles than other brands. Yes, no car is perfect, but if you need a car to last for a few years and can only afford a car with about 150k miles on it, it makes sense to pick the most reliable models available. Also, a manual transmission is a great way to increase the fun and decrease the purchase price of your next vehicle.

Yes, I forgot to add, manual is a must! Changing a clutch can be expensive, or laborious if you do your own work, but you really don't want to change/pay for an automatic transmission replacement. Plus, cars of that era will get slightly better gas mileage with a standard.

Top Bottom