• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cardinals Coach says, football being 'attacked by moms'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah let's risk fucking up your body and brain for the glory of arbitrarily carrying an object past a line. I had a mini concussionin high school and it wasn't from improper tackling technique.

It's also worth noting that some parents may have ulterior motives when it comes to wanting their children to play football. Through a guise of wanting their kids to decide for themselves (as if young children deserve that kind of responsibility), alternatively wanting to live vicariously through them and will stop at nothing for a chance to taste their failed dreams. CTE, concussions and early dementia be damned.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't think it's particularly inaccurate to suggest that mothers will tend to be more protective than fathers when it comes to football, especially when you have an outdated perspective, like Arians does, that predates the whole CTE thing. The kids that I knew that weren't allowed to play football back in high school was because their moms said no.

I do think he's underestimating how fathers are seeing all this CTE stuff and are probably more likely to steer their kids away from full contact sports than they were maybe 20 years ago even. So I don't believe that it's only moms doing this.

Yep. My mom wouldn't let me play pee wee football in the '80s because of safety concerns (heard the same from other kids) and dads have been catching up recently.

there is literally no safe way to play football. "safer" isn't safe. so no matter how textbook your tackling is, no matter how much you "keep your head up", no matter what precautions you take, you can't eliminate the danger in tackle football and you never will.

HS/college/nfl/etc. are going to continue to see the talent pool dwindle over the years but there will always be people willing to risk their lives to play football and it's great financial rewards.

bruce arians is a doucher, as everyone knows by just looking at the stupid fucking hat he always wears

Madness

My kids are playing soccer. Football will be a no go

So that they possibly end up with several ACL/MCL and knee and foot injuries instead? I do not know a single soccer player who played past high school that has not torn ligaments yet. Yes the risk of concussion is way less than football. But that can be mitigated with better safety equipment and policies. There is not a single physical sport that does not have risks. Most damage is starting to come from the elite high school or collegiate/professional level. Your kid playing flag football or tackle football in pee wee is going to be fine.

I only played hockey until high school and avoided many of the injuries that have befallen my friends who went into the WHL,ECHL, AHL and even a couple who went to the NHL.

In hockey, now at the first sign of a concussion you are sent to the training room to be evaluated and you aren't allowed back until you are cleared by a doctor. I don't know if the NHL has instituted something similar. It is a contact sport and you'll definitely see people still choose to play. I still play somewhat tackle football without equipment from time to time as well. Sure we're not running and slamming with helmets but there is still risk. We play sports because they are fun and enjoyable.

ST2K

He never said moms were attacking football.

“We feel like this is our sport. It’s being attacked, and we got to stop it at the grassroots. It’s the best game that’s ever been fucking invented, and we got to make sure that moms get the message, because that’s who’s afraid of our game right now. It’s not dads, it’s moms.”

His point was that people were attacking football and moms were more susceptible to their arguments than dads. He clarified this later:

CftEEXdUMAILO3k.jpg

I think he underestimates the amount of fathers who are hesitant to involve their kids in football, but the article headline is completely misleading.

He never said moms were attacking football.

His point was that people were attacking football and moms were more susceptible to their arguments than dads. He clarified this later:

I think he underestimates the amount of fathers who are hesitant to involve their kids in football, but the article headline is completely misleading.

“We feel like this is our sport. It’s being attacked, and we got to stop it at the grassroots. It’s the best game that’s ever been fucking invented, and we got to make sure that moms get the message, because that’s who’s afraid of our game right now. It’s not dads, it’s moms

uhhhh... ok. if thats what he meant ("other" people are attacking it and scaring moms) he should've phrased it better because as it's quoted it seems like he's saying it's being attacked so we need to make sure the attackers (moms) get the message that the game is totally safe

TheBear

I played rugby from the age of 5 to 17. In that time I had multiple concussions, foot, shoulder and neck injuries and would have multiple lesions on my legs and back after being stomped on with metal studs at the bottom of a ruck. I saw kids get paralyzed, and one kid even lost a testicle in a line out.

Unless my kid is fucking adamant about playing 'football', there's no way I would encourage them to play it.

bill0527

My kid plays hockey so I probably shouldn't comment.

Though to be fair, there is no checking or fighting allowed in the youth leagues.

PillarEN

My kid plays hockey so I probably shouldn't comment.

Though to be fair, there is no checking or fighting allowed in the youth leagues.

That is a huge difference so no hypocrisy on your part. Heck there is no fighting until certain professional leagues.

IISANDERII

"Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Kurt Warner and Brett Favre, have said they would to allow their sons to play football, as have LeBron James and President Obama. “I would not let my son play pro football,” Obama told David Remnick of the New Yorker in January 2014."

Looks like CTE isn't limited to football players.

besada

Banned
Come on dude people who play through the high school level do not develop life long debilitating conditions. People have done so for decades and been fine. I'm sure we all know plenty of people who played youth football.
What? My brother-in-law was a wide receiver for a Texas high school football team that won state. He blew his knee out. Now, at nearly fifty, he walks like someone who is seventy five. Concussions aside, the damage you do to your joints doesn't repair itself. Wreck them at twenty, and you'll wind up in a wheelchair at sixty. I know dozens of guys who played high school ball that now suffer from debilitating joint and back inuries. Many of them likely suffer from the concussions they took as well. Hell, down here in Texas we've had kids get broken necks and backs on the field.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Having played football through high school and injuring myself several times, I don't want that for my kids. No way.

Krejlooc

Banned
What? My brother-in-law was a wide receiver for a Texas high school football team that won state. He blew his knee out. Now, at nearly fifty, he walks like someone who is seventy five. Concussions aside, the damage you do to your joints doesn't repair itself. Wreck them at twenty, and you'll wind up in a wheelchair at sixty. I know dozens of guys who played high school ball that now suffer from debilitating joint and back inuries. Many of them likely suffer from the concussions they took as well. Hell, down here in Texas we've had kids get broken necks and backs on the field.

Or, to put things even simpler - every single year at least 1 high school football player dies on the field.

andthebeatgoeson

Or, to put things even simpler - every single year at least 1 high school football player dies on the field.
Some people have blinders on.

Nevermind the people who bulked up, then have lifelong medical conditions because of the added weight. Beefcake or not, most don't hit 1% body fat and they keep the weight and the problems. Diabetes, arthritis, etc.

But if they accept it and don't study it, apparently, it doesn't happen, if I believe some people in here.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They should start an advocacy group like mothers against drunk driving.

Mothers Incorporated Loathing Fatal Football

or something like that.

Lomax

It is being attacked by moms (for good reason), which is why there's legitimate fear it will be dead in a generation.

Ripenen

It is being attacked by moms (for good reason), which is why there's legitimate fear it will be dead in a generation.

As a dad I resent the implication that I don't care as much about my kids' health and well being, or that my wife makes decisions unilaterally.

Arkeband

Banned
Funny thing is in Florida I have read more about Soccer concussions happening from headers than I ever do about football.

Ah, the comparison to headers. Headers are a fairly high-level technique in soccer and is not the primary form of interaction with the ball. Soccer is a sport where players literally fake being injured as a strategy. It exists in a different realm than football.

You could ban headers from soccer and it could still persist, if you banned tackling from football, it would never be the same.

Someone concussing themselves with a header would be incredibly improper technique. Someone concussing themselves during a match of football is playing the sport properly.

@The topic:

The guy's just being a sexist dick, he's saying that women are more susceptible to what he sees as misinformation, because obviously dads are smarter or more passionate about football because they're men. He's invoking the image of women who cannot think for themselves and using weak reverse psychology to plant seeds of doubt in their convictions while simultaneously dogwhistling for dads to oppose them.

That is a huge difference so no hypocrisy on your part. Heck there is no fighting until certain professional leagues.
Hockey? How is it different? Even if fighting is banned? It's extremely taxing on joints and sudden stops and hits can cause head issues too.

I know football is the big dog, but many sports are risky and create various physical and mental problems for participants. Football of course is harder if not impossible to mediate without completely changing the sport beyond recognition but many sports can and do cause serious issues.

PillarEN

Hockey? How is it different? Even if fighting is banned? It's extremely taxing on joints and sudden stops and hits can cause head issues too.

I know football is the big dog, but many sports are risky and create various physical and mental problems for participants. Football of course is harder if not impossible to mediate without completely changing the sport beyond recognition but many sports can and do cause serious issues.

It sounded like his kid is currently in a no hitting league which is why I said what I said.
On a side note I've always appreciated how Canadian travel hockey teams had a stop sign on the lower part of their jerseys on the back. I was never one who played a dirty game but there's nothing worse than boarding and teens being teens sometimes just throw all caution out the window when things get more physical.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Football needs some major revisions if it wants to continue being a viable sport. Even kids know about whats happening now. I have had several say they are going to play baseball or basketball to avoid ending up the way most football player do.
Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom