• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denzel Washington to play Carthaginian warrior 'Hannibal' who attacked Rome atop Elephant. Antoine Fuqua directing for Netflix

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mommsen_p265.jpg
uttOPr9.jpg

And even if it isn't Hannibal drawn from life, just looking at the coins from Carthage, depicting their gods or whoever, shows a distinct appearance
3bkqHFU.jpg
6moRme2.jpg
a24vJ57.jpg

there are lots of them showing what carthaginians and romans presumably looked like, they seem remarkably similar in appearance.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Michelle Yeoh would have been better casting as Hannibal of Carthage imo. Stronger physical presence and more age appropriate.

Michelle-Yeoh-publicity-still-Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon-2016.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Denzel shooting a dozen arrows while sliding down the elephant’s back and wearing a long flowing blonde wig will be real
Heh heh, I've no doubt they will give him at least one boss moment.

I'm curious how they will frame the conflict. White romans versus black carthagenians is the least interesting take, I hope they avoid such a reductive script. I've no doubt they will shoehorn in a buncha women and struggle to give them something to do but Fuqua strikes me as a guy willing to fight to have a masculine film, certainly on The Terminal List, while the Katie character was miscast/misacted(?) versus how she was in the books, he didn't suddenly invent lady SEALS or whatever just to appease the algorithm. So I have confidence that he will try to stick to history as much as possible, with the understanding that it's Denzel's name getting this project made at all.

Hope they get Vin Diesel for Scipio Africanus though, the likeness is uncanny :p

CSmzkdH.jpg

but seriously, Vin has put in SO MUCH WORK into his version of this tale, he deserves a semi-prominent role.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
She was born to play Hannibal of Carthage on Netflix. Like Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles and Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison.

Why not? We don't have Hannibal's DNA or contemporary first hand reports from reliable witnesses about Hannibal's skin color, the shape of his eyes, his preferred pronouns, his sexual preferences or gender identification. There's a high likelihood that he was a Levantian heterosexual male, but since we can't say that with 100% certainty there's always the chance he was actually a bluehaired nonbinary person of Asian descent trained in the art of Kung Fu who had to hide her identity disguised as a Levantian heterosexual male and who fought not only the Romans but also the patriarchy.

Last edited:
Carthage is in modern day Tunisia, a country that is 98% Ethnic Arab. Yes, it has some black people there, but it's a very small minority.
And the whole Carthaginian empire was in North Africa and a part of Europe. Not sub-Saharan Africa.
Havin Denzel Washington makes no sense for historical accuracy. It's obviously only for modern day identity politics. Again.

kViaoe6.png

It really staggers me how these people are so stupid, constantly trying to turn other races into black, when there are several real historical characters or empires that never got any attention.
For example, the Empire of Mali and Mansa Musa. The richest man that ever lived, with real wealth, of gold, precious stones, land, etc. Not bitcoin and speculative assets.
Or the Empire of Aksum, one of the big 4 empires of it's age, along side with the Roman Empire, China and Persia.
Or the Empire of Nubia. They even had queens, like Amanitore.
There is so much untapped potential in African history, that is being ignored, because of sheer stupidity.
I want to see them try and turn Saladin black. Of course they are too cowardly to do that because the Muslim world will not only get mad, they have a reputation for doing drastic things when they are mad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin <--- for people who actually don't know who Saladin was

Denzel shooting a dozen arrows while sliding down the elephant’s back and wearing a long flowing blonde wig will be real
They should have just gotten Orlando Bloom to play Hannibal and no one would have complained about race swapping

Orlando Bloom already played Balian of Ibelin so he's got experience with these pseudo-historical epics

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was meh on Danzel playing Macbeth, but whatever its a shakespeare play and black actors have played those roles before so there is precedent there.

but this is ridiculous. this is a historical epic. danzel doing this is really disappointing. he is one of the sane ones in hollywood. doesnt talk politics. raised good kids. is a stand up guy. he should understand the optics of this.

I know we dont have many egyptian or middle eastern actors, but if hollywood is trying to correct its past fuckups like Exodus when an australian and a scottish dude played the Pharoh and Moses, then hire someone of middle eastern descent. I thought casting of Rami Malick for Freddie Mercury was an awesome choice despite their body types being completely different. Sucks that Rami is the only major actor from the middle east/north africa, and I completely understand that they need a well known actor to lead a high profile movie like this, but go fucking pick a latin american actor. Del Toro is white but he can pass off as a north african.

I guess their thinking is that if they have to hire a white actor to play it, why not a black actor? but two wrongs dont make a right.

Alcibiades

The race-swapping and mismatching age thing has to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If this is a historical epic, I do think it works better if the actor is someone that reflects the most likely ethnic background (and age) of the real historical figure. Like, with the movie Napolean coming up soon I think it would have been pretty ridiculous to cast Denzel Washington in that role.

But like Shakespeare plays or Hamilton-style theater - in those cases it's about the performances and exaggerated expressions so the race swapping works and could even elevate the material.

Then again, sometimes an actor will own a role and be so perfect that all this discussion will seem silly in retrospect. Hoping that's the case here.

Zathalus

I highly doubt this is going to strive to be accurate or anything. It's certainly not a documentary so having Denzel play the character seems fine to me. What race Hannibal was has very little impact on what the movie would be about.

but this is ridiculous. this is a historical epic. danzel doing this is really disappointing. he is one of the sane ones in hollywood. doesnt talk politics. raised good kids. is a stand up guy. he should understand the optics of this.
Because the Denzel of 20+ years ago who wanted this role wasn’t thinking in terms of 2023 social media standards when he wanted this role. He simply wanted the role back then. He’s always wanted it. It’s not his fault that things have changed and the online world of today is looking at everything in Hollywood with a microscopic lens.

Billbofet

They often claim when doing a race swap that it's because this was truly the right actor for the role.
I think 99% of the time this is bullshit pandering, but on this one, I want to see it because it's Denzel.

nkarafo

The fact is, no one knows what color his skin was.

And when was the last time any "proof" stopped them race swapping anyway?

Didn't make a difference for Anne Boleyn, Cleopatra and others. Proof doesn't matter, it's 2023, movie Haniball would be black no matter what the real person was.

Toons

I guess we have the Woman King. where they took actual history and then made the slavers the good guys

There were no "good guys" in those days if you're going by modern day morality scales.

If you could stomach troy and gladiator, and this movie, then you could stomach that.

The Roman's and greeks raped children. The carthaginians likely did too. Child marriage was a common thing until a couple centuries ago.

Everyone sucked. Time to accept that at the door at this point.

Regginator

Per historian Patrick Hunt:

"Regarding his DNA, as far as we know, we have no skeleton, fragmentary bones, or physical traces of him, so establishing his ethnicity would be mostly speculative. From what we think we know about his family ancestry, however, his Barcid family (if that’s even the right name) has been generally understood as descending from Phoenician aristocracy. ...[so] his original ancestry would be located in what is modern Lebanon today. As far as we know, little to no Africanization—if that is an acceptable term—happened there in that region before or during his era. On the other hand, since the Phoenicians arrived and then later settled in what is now Tunisia... almost 1,000 years before Hannibal, it is very possible his family had intermixed in DNA with peoples then living in North Africa....we shouldn’t deny any possible Africanization of the region of Carthage."

Even if "Africanization" with the locals did take place, that still wouldn't have made him black. The indigenous Berbers/Amazigh peoples are not black (in the sense of sub-Saharan African).

winjer

Gold Member
The Roman's and greeks raped children. The carthaginians likely did too. Child marriage was a common thing until a couple centuries ago.

That is not an accurate statement.
We do know that the average age of marriage, in medieval Europe, was 19 years for women and 20 for men. People weren't commonly raping children.
That idea comes from the nobility, where marriages were regarded like political treaties. And that meant that at any given point, if a marriage had to happen to unify 2 houses, it would happen, even if one party was a child. But that was the exception.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Roman's and greeks raped children.

What? Rome had specific laws to protect freeborn children against sexual predators.

I can't speak for Carthage. They did sacrifice children, but there isn't any evidence that they raped children.

clarky

Gold Member
I was like:

Denzel ... YES

Antoine Fuqua ... YES

Netflix ... FUCK
You lost me after Denzel.

Antoine made one of the GOAT's with Training Day. The rest on his output is sub par at best, bar the First Equalizer that was just ok.

Hard to get excited about this one, Netflix being the main red flag.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You lost me after Denzel.

Antoine made one of the GOAT's with Training Day. The rest on his output is sub par at best, bar the First Equalizer that was just ok.

Hard to get excited about this one, Netflix being the main red flag.

Agreed Training Day is incredible. But replacement Killers is amazing. Watch it again if you haven't seen it recently. I may be biased as CYF is my favorite actor. Brooklyn's Finest isn't bad either.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sounds awesome, but I am afraid this may be a story of Hannibal near the end of his life. He was like 30 when he crossed the Alps. Or maybe they'll just say fuck the facts like most historical dramas.

clarky

Gold Member
Agreed Training Day is incredible. But replacement Killers is amazing. Watch it again if you haven't seen it recently. I may be biased as CYF is my favorite actor. Brooklyn's Finest isn't bad either.
I must admit I have not seen The Replacement killers, at least I don't think I have. I'll stick it on the watch list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom