• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carly Fiorina confirms it: she is considering challenging Sen. Tim Kaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carly coming for Virginia 100 miles and running!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...486593934594&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.acad44e724e3

Carly Fiorina, the former GOP presidential candidate, is considering challenging Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) next year.

Her comments on a Portsmouth-based radio show popular among party activists marks the first time that the Fairfax resident has spoken publicly about getting back into politics since the November election.

“I’m certainly looking at that opportunity,” she told host John Fredericks about a Senate bid on Tuesday. “It’s a little early to be making that decision.”

Fiorina and her husband moved to Lorton in Fairfax County in 2011 after a bruising loss in her bid to unseat Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.).

She ended her presidential campaign one year ago this month,and briefly jumped onto the ill-fated campaign of Sen. Ted Cruz (R) as his vice presidential pick. In the months since, Fiorina has been helping other Republicans, particularly in Virginia where she stumped for everyone from Rep. Barbara Comstock (R) to little-known candidates for state legislature.

Kaine, who was Hillary Clinton’s runningmate on the Democratic presidential ticket, will be seeking a second term in the Senate in 2018.

A former governor whose place on the Clinton ticket helped him build a national profile, Kaine has returned to the Capitol Hill as an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump’s agenda.

Virginia was the only southern state that Clinton carried in November and all five statewide officeholders are Democrats, something Fiorina referenced in her interview.

“We [Republicans] should be realistic that is going to be a very, very tough race,” said the former Hewlett Packard chief executive. “Virginia is a purple state. Virginia has two Democratic senators. The Democratic Party is going to throw everything they have at defending Tim Kaine’s seat.”

Other candidates are toying with running as well.

Laura Ingraham, the conservative radio host who supported Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.) in his 2014 ouster of then-House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, confirmed on “Fox & Friends” last month that she is considering jumping into the race. Contacted by The Washington Post, she declined to comment further.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
5727b5bd22000036002552ea.gif

Carly Fiorina is an inspiration to all that if you have enough money you can fail at everything you do and still be okay.

Alternatively, if Tom Perriello loses the primary to Northam he should primary Kaine so we can get a progressive in a race we're incapable of losing.

We should probably take this shit seriously this time.
She's lost every election she's been in in highly humiliating fashion.

Madness

We should probably take this shit seriously this time.

Maybe. But Virginia will lean democratic and Fiorina has little support there. Her anti-Trump tirades won't really get much her much Republican support and Kaine will have distanced himself from Hillary enough that he can easily secure the seat.

Lois_Lane

Maybe. But Virginia will lean democratic and Fiorina has little support there. Her anti-Trump tirades won't really get much her much Republican support and Kaine will have distanced himself from Hillary enough that he can easily secure the seat.

Eeeehhh. Go canvas if you can and drive people to the polls. Please.

Fiorina is like the total opposite of Trump other than both are bad at business. Her best political result was getting 1.8% of the vote in Iowa. She doesn't get right wing populism.

I still feel she is directly responsible for that Planned Parenthood shooting.

Or did we forget about that already, since our new president doesn't believe in American-born extremism.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Seems like someone wants national relevancy, donations and a very small chance of winning for the 3rd time.

mo60

Kaine's connection to hilary won't hurt him much in Virginia. He should easily win hisa senate race in 2018 since VA now leans blue.

Bookmarking this thread for when she inevitably wins. This shit's gonna keep happening as long as people continues to say "It can't happen" instead of "We won't let it happen."

Does she have any kind of support in Virginia? Her only real connection to the state is living in a DC suburb for the past couple years.

If the Democrats are in the position of having to play defense on Tim Kaine's seat after two years of the Trump Administration, they might as well not even be a party anymore.

Fiorina is an impressive politician - to my knowledge, the only presidential candidate to lose twice in the same primary. Democrats should regard her candidacy with the level of seriousness merited by her past achievements.

Slayven

21 female senators and only 6 are republican.

I had to look that up cause i figured the GOP don't spend that much on women

devilhawk

Break that Virginia glass ceiling Carly! I'm with her! Virginians are all sexists that have never elected a female Senator!

I'm joking, but it is kind of funny and true. Even my home state of KS has had 2.

grumble

Kaine's connection to hilary won't hurt him much in Virginia. He should easily win hisa senate race in 2018 since VA now leans blue.

I'd give even odds he loses. Virginia isn't deep blue and democrats don't vote in midterms. Trump's base is also HIGHLY energized by what's happening.

I'd give even odds he loses. Virginia isn't deep blue and democrats don't vote in midterms. Trump's base is also HIGHLY energized by what's happening.

Kaine was elected governor in an off year, and Mark Warner held his seat in the red wave of 2014, which was a bloodbath for the Democrats elsewhere.

Kaine has never lost here, and he's very popular. And midterms usually go in the direction of the party out of the White House, for that matter.

ICO_SotC

Agree with the people who wouldn't be surprised at all if she wins.

The Warren/Schiling race is the one I'm dreading. It's going to be ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom