• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrier to lay off 300 employees on six-month anniversary of Trump's presidency

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SO. MUCH. WINNING.

INDIANAPOLIS — Carrier Corp. plans to eliminate 338 jobs at its Indianapolis furnace factory Thursday — and the timing is likely to raise some eyebrows.

The previously announced layoffs coincide, to the day, with the six-month anniversary of Donald Trump's presidency. They are part of a deal Trump struck with the company in December to prevent deeper job cuts at the plant.

The terminations are the first wave of about 630 planned before the end of the year as the company shifts work to Mexico. Carrier's parent company, United Technologies Corp. (UTX), also plans to lay off an additional 700 workers at a factory in Huntington, Ind., near Fort Wayne, Ind.

Carrier, in a statement, said it "continues to honor its 2016 commitment to employ approximately 1,100 associates in Indianapolis. As announced in November, this includes headquarters and engineering jobs and more than 800 employees supporting our world-class gas furnace manufacturing center."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/07/19/carrier-corp-layoffs-start/491528001/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, is my understanding of this whole mess correct in that:
Basically Pence gave a tax break to help automate the carrier plant?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So the single instance of Trump saving American jobs was based on bribery with a hard 6 month expiration date, and at midnight of the exact day of expiration the company immediately laid off people?

Amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess that tax cut must have expired.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Remember when the Carrier deal was announced and people said the Trump administration was going to be incredibly effective politically?

sangreal

"six-month anniversary". It's not an anniversary if a year hasn't passed damn it, it's right there in the word!

Oblivion

Wonder what happened to all that tough talk about enacting tax penalties to companies who ship jobs out of the country.

UberTag

Wonder what happened to all that tough talk about enacting tax penalties to companies who ship jobs out of the country.
That would have involved passing legislation. Something Trump's government has, as yet, failed to do.
Sadly, enacting tax penalties doesn't happen on the golf course or over Twitter.

This is happening all over the country. Companies are not spending due to the chaos in Washington, they are unsure what's going to happen. The power industry, oil and gas... they are not spending. All of the companies that depend on these industries are as in bad of shape as they have been since the recession in 09. Layoffs, furloughs if you're lucky... I hope it doesn't get as bad as I think it's going to get, but it is looking dire.

Apathy

I really want some news outlet to go and interview the workers, the same workers that were touting how amazing trump was for saving their jobs, and really opening their eyes to his lies. It sounds vindictive, but these people need a reality check and be woken up from their delusion

darkwing

I really want some news outlet to go and interview the workers, the same workers that were touting how amazing trump was for saving their jobs, and really opening their eyes to his lies. It sounds vindictive, but these people need a reality check and be woken up from their delusion

they would still vote for Trump

SaviourMK2

oh well

Those 300 people would still have their jobs if not for Killary's e-mails and fake news and Obamacare collapsing.
-throws up a little-

Eegah

NPR did a story on these upcoming layoffs a week or two ago. They said that the workers blame management, not Trump. Trump did the best he could.

Everybody there that voted for trump, get fucked.

To the rest, I hope you land on your feet and quickly find new employment.

I live in Indiana and the sentiment here seems to be that none of his voters care that he doesn't care. Even if his "deal" with Carrier was to hand out a tax break and still let these people get laid off, somehow he's still better than Hillary. The people here don't even know why they hate Democrats, hated Obama, hated Hillary or hate liberalism or progressivism. The fact that this state is so staunchly Republican disgusts me.

Our current governor had some rather poor outings during the debates and did a poor job of getting any message of his out. Meanwhile his Democrat opponent was on the radio and television with a message and he was better during debates. Holcomb still won.

I'd like to say that I wish those being laid off well, but their jobs were probably gone regardless. The fact that they largely voted Trump leaves me with little sympathy for them, but I can't wish ill on their families. Trump swooped in for some easy political points. That's all this deal meant to him.

NPR did a story on these upcoming layoffs a week or two ago. They said that the workers blame management, not Trump. Trump did the best he could.

Fucking idiots. The lot of them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sounds like a standard action of a company to me. I can't see how folks can blame Trump for this especially as there are easier Trump targets.

They'll vote republican again. There are millions of people who depend on the ACA but hated Obama and wanted Obamacare repealed. Ignore and voting against their own interests.

Oriel

Fuck 'em. Here's hoping the same thing happens to other blue collar workers in Trumpland. Yeah I'm bitter. But that's what happens when you've got a lunatic wrecking not just America but the whole world.

They'll vote republican again. There are millions of people who depend on the ACA but hated Obama and wanted Obamacare repealed. Ignore and voting against their own interests.

There were many Trump voters who believed ACA and Obamacare were different things altogether and supported Trump because they felt he would protect ACA. Grade A imbeciles, the lot.

Fuck 'em. Here's hoping the same thing happens to other blue collar workers in Trumpland. Yeah I'm bitter. But that's what happens when you've got a lunatic wrecking not just America but the whole world.
Fuck em.

Y'all need to stop being shocked that they won't blame trump or the GOP, these people are absolute morons.

So they promised to keep only 1,100 people in the US, but are STILL hiring people for it's Mexico plants.

All they promised to do was stay at 1,100 in the US. And they have no plans to add new jobs here.

They are, however, continuing to expand their Mexican workforce.

GG Trump.

The deal amounts to an employee CAP.

Ominym

Banned
Exactly what I figured would happen. They'll blame the local management for being greedy and taking advantage of Trump's efforts.

There's no way they look at the reality of the situation.

sangreal

Theyre not wrong, but the best he could do was nothing which is why it was dumb to vote for him just for these jobs

Exactly what I figured would happen. They'll blame the local management for being greedy and taking advantage of Trump's efforts.

There's no way they look at the reality of the situation.

The reality is that Trump did not cause these layoffs and there is little he could have done to stop them. While they should look in the mirror and reflect on how they fell for such a sad con job from Trump, management is the correct target of their ire for the layoffs. I'm sure a lot of the people wouldn't regret their vote anyway because they knew Trump couldn't save all the jobs, but at least he pretended to care and that counts for something in politics. Too bad their retraining options etc. will be drastically reduced by living in a Republican led state in a Republican led country

Oblivion

Sounds like a standard action of a company to me. I can't see how folks can blame Trump for this especially as there are easier Trump targets.

What? No one's saying Trump is responsible for the layoffs, but rather that, Mr. I'M THE BEST THE ECONOMY couldn't do more than put a 6 month long band aid on the situation, plus the fact that said there will be "consequences" for businesses shipping labor our of the country.

I live in Indiana and the sentiment here seems to be that none of his voters care that he doesn't care. Even if his "deal" with Carrier was to hand out a tax break and still let these people get laid off, somehow he's still better than Hillary. The people here don't even know why they hate Democrats, hated Obama, hated Hillary or hate liberalism or progressivism. The fact that this state is so staunchly Republican disgusts me.

Our current governor had some rather poor outings during the debates and did a poor job of getting any message of his out. Meanwhile his Democrat opponent was on the radio and television with a message and he was better during debates. Holcomb still won.

I'd like to say that I wish those being laid off well, but their jobs were probably gone regardless. The fact that they largely voted Trump leaves me with little sympathy for them, but I can't wish ill on their families. Trump swooped in for some easy political points. That's all this deal meant to him.

I respect that.

But, if suffering is the only thing that might get them to understand that trump and any republican for that matter, means them harm, so be it.

Top Bottom