• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoon Network Greenlights 'OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes' Animated Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

Along with a videogame.

The show centers on a group of heroes who try to "level up" and overcome the obstacles that an evil foe Lord Boxman sends their way.
Cartoon Network has greenlighted an animated series about heroes that will be followed by the launch of an integrated console game.

OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes, created by Ian Jones-Quartey and produced by Cartoon Network Studios, is set in Lakewood Plaza, a mall for heroes, where K.O. and his cool crew of friends are constantly trying to impress each other in their efforts to level up and overcome the obstacles that evil foe Lord Boxman sends their way on his quest to destroy the plaza.

The console game, jointly developed with indie video game studio Capybara Games, is described as "an action brawler with RPG elements" and is expected to arrive later this fall. The game will be and will be previewed at gaming festival PAX East on Friday.

Last year at Cartoon Network's "Game Jam," independent game developers were invited to create their own original games based on the OK K.O.! characters, then college undergraduates were encouraged to create 15-second animation shorts using the IP at an the network's "Animation Jam."
"This combined launch marks the culmination of a unique multimedia development process," said Rob Sorcher, chief content officer at Cartoon Network. "The result is an entirely connected world which provides deeper satisfaction as fans get further into the property from every access point."

The show, which will get a sneak peek Monday at SXSW, is set to premiere in the summer in the U.S., followed by a rollout around the world. A standalone original mobile game, titled OK K.O.! Lakewood Plaza Turbo, also launched last year based on Jones-Quartey’s short, of the same name, from Cartoon Network's artist program.

Said Jones-Quartey: "For me, video games and animation have a lot in common and having fun is the main goal. OK K.O.! is a video game-inspired world expressed through the language of animation, but mostly an adventurous playground with heart-warming heroes who battle against robots."

Jones-Quartey first joined Cartoon Network in 2010 as a storyboard artist on Secret Mountain Fort Awesome. Most recently, he served as co-executive producer on Steven Universe.

PSqueak

Banned
Finally! I had doubts that this show would actually get made, at this point. Looking forward to it!

I thought it was pretty much confirmed to have been greenlit since they started calling it OK K.O instead of Lakewood Plaza Turbo.

In my opinion LPT was the superior name.

Seesaw15

Happy for Ian
84.gif

Psxphile

ZoddGutts

Only watched the pilot awhile back, while I liked it I hope there's more to it than just being a meme/refrence show.

Itll be a meme/refernce show with a plot structred like how steven universe does it :v

I feel like it may end up like Adventure Time, with the auspices of being a random, well, adventure series that ends up making the notion that it even has a proper plot a stunning twist.

Tsunamo

Been wanting this to be greenlit ever since the original pilot a couple of years ago. If the show keeps the theme the shorts and the pilot had it'll be great. Basically a mix of Dragon Ball, with Videogames and The Regular Show (hanging around at the plaza instead of the park) which is good timing considering it ended not long ago so something to fill the void would be nice.

Xe4

Banned
Very nice! It only took, what 4 years of incessant bugging by fans to make this happen? Damn, CN.

Still, I'm very glad and will definitely check it out when it airs.

Kickz

All of the shorts available on CN's youtube channel from over the last year, for your viewing pleasure.

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Original Pilot

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | KO

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Enid

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Rad

OK K.O.! | Carol

OK K.O.! | Enid's Bad Day

OK K.O.! | Barrels and Crates

OK K.O.! | Rad Cries

OK K.O.! | Rad's Van

I get the feeling it's going to take quite a few episodes before the show can build it's audience, but I like what I've seen so far.

Well damn, this is pretty good. Can't believe I never seen this and its been out for a year
I hope they keep Gohan as the main characters voice

Just heard about this as Nathan Vella was talking about the game they're making on the Giantbomb E3 live show the other day. On my radar now.

Xe4

Banned
slow your roll dude, the pilot only aired late last year, sometimes these things take a while.
Case in point, OK K.O.! Shit took four years. Though the pilot wasn't as immediately successful as infinity train. If there's no Infinity Train series announced by the end of next year, then I'll be worried.

Psxphile

Since it wasn't posted, here's the show's OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

The official crew blog: https://ok-ko.tumblr.com/

Also CN has been posting little animated character pow cards, only two so far:
K.O.
Enid

Since I made that first post about the shorts 4 more came out. I only noticed a few days ago when I checked out the show on the Spectrum app and saw they had them alongside the released episodes. They're not up on CN yet but some enterprising people have uploaded them themselves:

OK K.O. | Dendy
OK K.O. | Commercial
OK K.O. | Power Up!
OK K.O. | Boxmore Infomercial

Also the end credits from the 6 released episodes have been spliced together into one (yeah, they're that short):
OK K.O. | Extended End Theme

And here's a gif of that network bumper posted by the one who animated it:
tumblr_ornth697IZ1ry3phio1_540.gif

Should we just use this thread as the show's OT?

caliph95

Since it wasn't posted, here's the show's OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

The official crew blog: https://ok-ko.tumblr.com/

Also CN has been posting little animated character pow cards, only two so far:
K.O.
Enid

Since I made that first post about the shorts 4 more came out. I only noticed a few days ago when I checked out the show on the Spectrum app and saw they had them alongside the released episodes. They're not up on CN yet but some enterprising people have uploaded them themselves:

OK K.O. | Dendy
OK K.O. | Commercial
OK K.O. | Power Up!
OK K.O. | Boxmore Infomercial

Also the end credits from the 6 released episodes have been spliced together into one (yeah, they're that short):
OK K.O. | Extended End Theme

And here's a gif of that network bumper posted by the one who animated it:
tumblr_ornth697IZ1ry3phio1_540.gif

Should we just use this thread as the show's OT?
You can try and just copy paste this post just add banner and synopsis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom