• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Shurs

Harmony of Despair is not Symphony of the Night, but it's obvious that this wasn't the developer's intention.

My experience with the first level was collecting coins and loot before dying over and over again until I bought a sword that was basically a "win-stick." Once I had the sword, I blazed through the level. It was my persistence rather than my skill that got me through the first level, grinding away rather than getting better.

Frustrations aside, I can see how Castlevania fans will dig this.

Teknoman

The guy seems to be complaining about the walking speed of the characters, but they seem to move as fast as they usually do.

Daigoro

GhaleonQ said:
Whether or not the game's actually good, Teti's review at Eurogamer is devastating. After his somewhat embarrassing Limbo review, this is a return to form.

no subtle rumble when Alucard jumps. i guess he didnt get get that human connection that he was looking for?

Read the Eurogamer review and it feels kind of one-sided. He got pissy after dying a few times in single-player and just went into "fuck this game" for the rest of it.

I'm not buying HoD cause Konami can lick my uterus but c'mon the dude could have tried a bit harder to discuss some other aspects of the game.

Shurs

Arpharmd B said:
Positive reviews from mainstream media and negative comments from gaffers who never played it.

Never change, gaf.

I think it's all about setting your expectations to what the developer intended. It's meant to be a co-op game that you play with friends. Sure, there are only six levels but they're meant to be played over and over again, trying to get a better score, a better time and more items. It's a fan service game. I found it comparable to Demon's Souls in the sense that it's a difficult game to play alone and you get sent back to the start of the level each time you die. The difference is that I enjoyed the combat in Demon's Souls more than in Harmony of Despair.

Daigoro

Teknoman said:
The guy seems to be complaining about the walking speed of the characters, but they seem to move as fast as they usually do.

CV characters have always been rather slow. if there are some dash boots or some other itme to speed up movement the guy needs to go back and make amends.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Read the Eurogamer review and it feels kind of one-sided. He got pissy after dying a few times in single-player and just went into "fuck this game" for the rest of it.

I'm not buying HoD cause Konami can lick my uterus but c'mon the dude could have tried a bit harder to discuss some other aspects of the game.
Journos rated DMC3 60 and under because it was "too hard." The only thing that was "too hard" during my DMC3 playthrough was my cock.

That's about the time I stopped reading reviews.

Ridley327

In the defense of journalists over DMC3, they actually did get a significantly more difficult version of the game than what we got at retail.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ridley327 said:
In the defense of journalists over DMC3, they actually did get a significantly more difficult version of the game than what we got at retail.
If anything it was the opposite, because the default difficulty in the US version was the hard difficulty in the Japan release. They didn't really scale down the difficulty until the special edition. In addition to sucking, a lot of them just didn't know that you had to buy yellow orbs to get continues.

Ridley327

No, Capcom actually sent them a version of the game where enemies did significantly more damage; one of the guys who reviewed it for EGM confirmed this.

Not sure how I feel about this game, but I suppose I can spot Iga $15. If anybody wants to run through coop later this week add me. Tag= Bay Maximus

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ridley327 said:
No, Capcom actually sent them a version of the game where enemies did significantly more damage; one of the guys who reviewed it for EGM confirmed this.
Well that's the first I've heard about that. :lol if true. :lol :lol if it's not.

Well, back on topic. Castlevania was one of the three XBLA games I played at E3 that I knew I would be buying on release day. The other two were Super Meat Boy and Monday Night Combat.

Tremis

This man does his research.
SapientWolf said:
Journos rated DMC3 60 and under because it was "too hard." The only thing that was "too hard" during my DMC3 playthrough was my cock.

:lol

Arpharmd B said:
Positive reviews from mainstream media and negative comments from gaffers who never played it.

Never change, gaf.

It's more the overall lack of appeal the game has to people even mildly suspicious of Castlevania quality these days. A co-op XBLA game? Go back and tell me that's what fans were clamoring for and I'll move along. Until then, I'd like to think there's higher places to take the series. Personally, the addition of Diablo to most any series is not a positive change.

Not to mention that the mainstream media isn't really a good example of anything. People abuse it as an argument whenever it is convenient.

Edit: What the hell? Positive mainstream media comments? I see mediocre on the non-Eurogamer scale, and mediocre on the Eurogamer scale. And some Xbox Fansite.

sphinx

the piano man
I stood away from this game and related info in hopes that at the end, the final product would be something us, castlevania (DS) fans, could buy and enjoy.

So far, and after reading posts here, HoD continues in its trainwreck trajectory, right?

:-/ it sucks this game is supposed to give me my castlevania 2d fix for at least the next two years.... damn.

GhaleonQ

Daigoro said:
no subtle rumble when Alucard jumps. i guess he didnt get get that human connection that he was looking for?

Don't you see? The canon-crossing multiplayer is a METAPHOR FOR THE WAY WE ARE ALL CONNECTED TO OUR ANCESTORS' ACTIONS. Talk about Art.

Siyou

Cynar said:
You're right, the 4th.
so has gaf decided on this game being bad based on videos? by the sounds of some it sounds like actual experience. I dunno, I've been lurking this thread a lot, thought it might be a bad game, but i think this might be worth a buy.

edit:
GhaleonQ said:
Don't you see? The canon-crossing multiplayer is a METAPHOR FOR THE WAY WE ARE ALL CONNECTED TO OUR ANCESTORS' ACTIONS. Talk about Art.
mind blown... day 1

Teknoman

G4TV pros and cons

The Pros

* Entertaining co-op action for up to six players
* Deep character customization through equipment, magic, and skill acquisitions
* Challenging, fast-paced gameplay
* Six playable protagonists from previous Castlevania games

The Cons

* Pixelated visual style goes for a retro feel instead of a modern take
* Some may lament the lack of continues or extra lives
* No story elements or leveling from earlier titles

Not sure how pixel visual style is a con. Leveling up would've been nice, but its got items and money drops, so people will most likely keep trying to get better items.

I hope the demo is multiplayer enabled, because if the netcode sucks, its a no go.

Summary -
What looks on the surface to be a significantly scaled-down version of Castlevania is actually quite deep. By stripping away nearly all of the downtime associated with inventory management, map viewing, and stat monitoring, the developers have kept the action moving at a brisk clip.

Yet the diversity in equipment, spells, weapons, and character-specific techniques is what keeps you coming back, as you'll never know what's lurking within a particular treasure chest. Completing all six levels also unlocks a "hard"
setting that truly lives up to its billing, enhancing the replay value even further. Harmony
of Despair's break from tradition will not appeal to everyone, but if you like your castle-
climbing and boss-battling mixed in with a dash of Diablo, this multiplayer offshoot is a
definite (crypt) keeper.

EDIT: For all you guys out there with a Wii, go download Castlevania Rebirth too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ugh, I actually... like the G4 review? That's a rarity. They actually seem to judge the game as what it's intending to be.

And once again with the "six characters" line.

Anywho, Deathspank left me wanting for a game with worthwhile loots. You pick up a new sword or armor every 8 minutes in that game... there's not much wonder, or uniqueness in any of it. In comparision to SOTN or Aria of Sorrow, where seeing the different weapon animations, abilities, styles, and even "after effect colors", always made me feel like I picked up something fairly unique.

At any rate, this easily appears to have exactly the kinda appeal I like in my arcade games, and the more positive reviewers seem to share my taste in games. I'd rather have original rehashes of things I love, rather than lots of new things I find simply mediocre, y'know?

Read the Eurogamer review, and I really don't wanna say too much on it before I actually get to play myself. It did sound very one-sided, though.

Looking forward to Weds!

Siyou

it would be awesome if they did some sort of updating with extra weapons and items as the game is out for longer... keep things fresh. I am not expecting, just wishful thinking :D

SapientWolf said:

You're amazing.

On topic, stoked for this game. Not usually into playing coop games with random folks on the internet, but I've done crazier things for CV. Day one and all that.

Not to jump on the "1200 points lol" bandwagon, but it really does seem like a kick in the tunk to be $15 for this when it probably required minimal effort to create.

That being said, it does seem like a fun concept, I just don't think $15 is a good price for it (but the same could be said of a LOT of shit on XBL/PSN lately).

Damn, I don't know how Konami managed to get this game in the Summer Arcade promotion, such lazy grpahics and sloppy interface at 1200 MS points would have bombed hard, now thanks to being a Sumer Arcade game, the game will get a few sales.it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SapientWolf said:

this didn't happen

i just pulled up metacritic and gamerankings. literally the only sub-7 reviews for dmc3 were from gameshark.com, totalplaystation.com, gamerevolution.com, and two bankrupt sites that i've literally never heard of.

plenty of journalists complained about dmc3's difficulty, but no one you would have read gave it a 60 or under for being too hard.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stumpokapow said:
this didn't happen

i just pulled up metacritic and gamerankings. literally the only sub-7 reviews for dmc3 were from gameshark.com, totalplaystation.com, gamerevolution.com, and two bankrupt sites that i've literally never heard of.

plenty of journalists complained about dmc3's difficulty, but no one you would have read gave it a 60 or under for being too hard.
Well, for the sake of this argument I was a huge gameshark.com fan.

To be serious, I don't think the game should have gotten anything under an 80, and the difficulty was the biggest complaint by far. I wonder how Demon's Souls dodged that bullet. I'm thinking that it's because DMC was more of a mainstream release, while DS was aimed strictly at the hardcore.

XBLA is no stranger to difficult games (N+ and Trials HD come to mind), so I don't see it being an issue for Castlevania HD.

Gowans

For the summer of arcade this is defo the one I'm least arsed about.

But if I'm planning on buying all the others, with the rebate fir all I get this for free right?

robot

wonder if this will play well with the stick - hopefully it doesnt need the right analog for something.

theMrCravens said:
Did any of you try online if possible? Seems most reviewer went on solo.

We haven't yet, though we'll try and give it a go today, so we can properly review it =)

Cynar said:
worth the 1200(lol) pts? :p I'll probably pick it up anyway but would like some more opinions

I haven't played it much myself, but I just asked my coworker, Micah, and he says he wouldn't recommend it if you're playing solo. His verdict's still out on multiplayer however.

Teknoman

I wish some of the previews would mess around with the different music tracks too.

EDIT: lol controller disconnect at boss fight. That had to suck. Didnt think they would pile enemies at the bottom either :lol However, the game does look like it'll be really fun online and have some laugh out loud moments.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
redbarchetta said:
Not to toot our own horn (okay, I totally want to toot my own horn--I'm also available to toot other horns as well), but we posted a 40-minute play-through of Castlevania yesterday:

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Game & Watch

We also started posting our video walkthrough, if you want wicked spoilers.

Just so you know, I believe there is a closer zoom option to the camera (that you have to set in the options menu, I hear?) that'll zoom in the game to a more SOTN-like closeness. Believe it's 3x Zoom, or something similiar.

Your mass amounts of failing with Charlotte have me quite interested in trying her!:lol Having never personally played Portrait of Ruin, I'm interested in seeing how her sub weapons level up... since she seems to focus on being a magic user more than other characters, thus extensive sub wep use (to "level up" the skills) will be vital to advancing with her. Also heard she used to have to charge her moves, to make them their most effective... haven't seen such in any vids yet, however.

Ah well, just a few more hours until I get to explore these mysteries first hand!

Wizpig

I'll try the demo as soon as it comes out, then if i like it i'll buy the game tomorrow in the late evening, hopefully we can play some games.
Unfortunately i only have 2 free friends slot but i think it's still possible to do something if the host is someone with lots of Gaffers in his FL.

I say we post some awesome Castlevania music while we wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0UjAQIX6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQr5W4AGcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8m2VpxyDig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Qtg7DHkmo

Vamphuntr

theMrCravens said:
Will it be available like midnight tonight PST, or sometime tomorrow ?

I keep forgetting when these arcade games are released.

I was wondering the same thing. They update during the night or during the day itself?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I hope lots of people will download to play. I like the End of Chaos level based on the Abyss from DoS. Menace was an awesome boss!

Top Bottom