• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

shira

200_s.gif

RedShift

If I've never played more than ~10 mins of a Castlevania game before (but am a big Metroid fan) is SotN the best place to start?

Altazor

Oh man, just finished watching. Loved it. Too short, however - I really can't wait for S2.

I think we haven't seen the last of that evil fucking Bishop (despite his apparent grisly fate).

BUT ENOUGH TALK, HAVE AT YOU!

Boylamite

If I've never played more than ~10 mins of a Castlevania game before (but am a big Metroid fan) is SotN the best place to start?
The NES/SNES/Genesis games are all great, but if you're looking specifically for a metroid like experience then the DS games and SoTN are a good place to start.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh man, just finished watching. Loved it. Too short, however - I really can't wait for S2.

I think we haven't seen the last of that evil fucking Bishop (despite his apparent grisly fate).

There is a character he could become but I'm not sure if they'll go that route.

bionic77

BUT ENOUGH TALK, HAVE AT YOU!
I don't think that kiss caused him to bleed. There was goo but it didn't look red to me.

Have there been any monster priests in castlevania games? I think that is what we are getting in the next season.

cj_iwakura

I don't think that kiss caused him to bleed. There was goo but it didn't look red to me.

Have there been any monster priests in castlevania games? I think that is what we are getting in the next season.

The Dark Priest Shaft is the one who revives him in Dracula X/Rondo, prior to the events of SotN.

Altazor

There is a character he could become but I'm not sure if they'll go that route.

Earlier in the thread some people theorized he could become Shaft. I like that idea.

EDIT:

can you dig it?

greenmind

Banned
wow, im through 3 episodes... love it so far..

reminds me of my D&D days (catacombs)... they should make a from software game based on this.

Yo.... that speech at the beginning of episode 4 had a lot of feelings I have towards certain churches. Think whoever wrote this is either atheist or agnostic?

Either way, I love this show. I'm gonna need season 2 real soon.

Nuu

Banned
Watching this now and it's great. I've wanted to see more American Anime. Hopefully this is the start of more Western based action/adventure type adult animation.

Just watched the first episode. I like how gory it is but the dialogue and VA seem really amateur. Did we really need a 5 minute conversation about goat fucking? -_-

This was a really excellent tease, and I'm already excited for more.

The Alucard-Trevor fight was especially awesome, and it got me hyped to see more actual demon fighting in the next season.

Not

Banned
It was ok, art isn't great. Animation. Is poor and the ugly shadows on teeth and such that looks like a quick photoshop.

Wish the scenery looked better, overall this needed to look better to draw me in a bit.

Jack The Nipper
Can out-design and out-animate Powerhouse Animation Studios on Netflix.
(Today, 08:13 AM)

99Luffy

Banned
It was ok, art isn't great. Animation. Is poor and the ugly shadows on teeth and such that looks like a quick photoshop.

Wish the scenery looked better, overall this needed to look better to draw me in a bit.
Artstyle bothered me. That weird anime but not anime type look.
I got really bad flashbacks of Street Fighter HD remix.

2ssCg4w.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Konami (lol) is dropping the ball by not having a Castlevania /anything/ available in any modern console. Even a CV3 NES Port would be selling hotcakes.

Seriously, missed opportunity here. SotN should just be downloadable on PS4 as well, same with the Dracula X Chronicles. I think WiiU is the system where you can get the most CV's right now. It has I-IV, Dracula X, CotM, HoD and AoS.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't think the demon hordes are entirely loyal to Dracula and maybe they changed the Bishop into something more evil. I don't think he died.

Busaiku

Seriously, missed opportunity here. SotN should just be downloadable on PS4 as well, same with the Dracula X Chronicles. I think WiiU is the system where you can get the most CV's right now. It has I-IV, Dracula X, CotM, HoD and AoS.
You can also get Rondo of Blood in Wii mode.

Nuu

Banned
Just finished it. Was a lot better than I was expecting. Wasn't fantastic but I'd label it as "good". The characters feel flat outside of Trevor Belmont. That said was
the vampire in the end the son of Dracula and his burnt at the stake wife?

Kinsei

Banned
Just finished it. Was a lot better than I was expecting. Wasn't fantastic but I'd label it as "good". The characters feel flat outside of Trevor Belmont. That said was

Yes. That was
Alucard.

Hoo-doo

Banned

That was kinda obvious, yes.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The voice acting was fantastic and really elevated this show. I don't get the complaints tbh. There were some moments where I got the chills from just listening to Dracula's voice.

Well, despite some issues, this was really neat. A bit frustrating since it wasn't much more than a small introduction to the real story but it was done well. Who would have thought that Castlevania, of all videogame franchises, would lend itself so well to an adaptation? It actually fits in pretty nicely within the saga and the last fight especially, between the whip combat and
Alucard's moves
, was a great rendition of a Castevania boss fight.

The writing was a little off at times, some lines felt like Ellis self-parodying himself. But once
Sypha and especially Alucard
entered the picture I really started caring about the characters.
I'm very happy with how they handled Alucard since I never liked his appearances past Symphony of the Night but his scene in the last episode was the highlight of this season.

My other nitpicks include some of the voice-acting for the background characters and the animation but overall I thought it was really solid. I'm definitely looking forward to season 2, hopefully the show will be a success.

Now, maybe it's time for me to take another shot at Castlevania 3. I've played all the Igavanias to death but never managed to beat that one.

Nuu

Banned
Yes. That was
Alucard.

That was kinda obvious, yes.

He just seemed a bit too old. I thought only a couple years had passed by since Dracula met the woman.

The voice acting was fantastic and really elevated this show. I don't get the complaints tbh. There were some moments where I got the chills from just listening to Dracula's voice.

Anime dub companies should take note. Though to be fair even that would only go so far.

That was a great little tease. But it really should have been 8 episodes to start. Way too short.

Judging from the detailed art style, the constant animation, and the fact that Frederator is an American based company, it is likely the show was not cheap to create. Netflix greenlighted a small teaser to see how the show would be received critically and commercially, and now that it seems like a hit they approved for a proper season.

gaugebozo

Now, maybe it's time for me to take another shot at Castlevania 3. I've played all the Igavanias to death but never managed to beat that one.
I've beat 1, 2, Super, and 200 whatever% -ed SotN, but that last level in 3 is fucking brutal. There's three Dracula forms, and you don't start over at his chamber if you die. I seriously got him down to the last life bar and died, then had to start the stage all over again and said fuck it.

This show has made me thirsty for a Castlevania like one of the earlier ones though.

I've beat 1, 2, Super, and 200 whatever% -ed SotN, but that last level in 3 is fucking brutal. There's three Dracula forms, and you don't start over at his chamber if you die. I seriously got him down to the last life bar and died, then had to start the stage all over again and said fuck it.

This show has made me thirsty for a Castlevania like one of the earlier ones though.

Yeah, I own Castlevania 3 on 3DS but I think I'm going to try to play the japanese version instead since it's easier apparently and has a better soundtrack. I don't remember if I ever made it to the final level but I always go for the Alucard route since he's my fav and that's probably a bad decision.

I'm curious about how they want to bring in mummies and frankenstein's monster into all of this. And where are the damn skeletons

I don't care

Nobody cares that you don't care. In fact, nobody cares you don't care that nobody cares that you don't care about us not caring what you care about.

I've got a question for some of the more diehard Castlevania fans in here:
That opening sequence between Lisa and Dracula was never shown in any of the games, right? I know Lisa's execution scene appears via flashback in Symphony of the Night, but none of the games ever showed how she first met Dracula, right?

I ask because
some of the dialogue between Lisa and Dracula reminded me a little bit of some of the dialogue exchanges Alucard has with Maria, his own love interest apparently, in Symphony of the Night (namely the quips about being a gentleman).

Nothing really profound or anything, but it was a minor detail I noticed and thought was amusing.

Top Bottom