• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow fan project - The Battle of 1999

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This popped up on my Youtube feed today. Dracula9AntiChapel is a composer of game music I follow, and he's apparently done a few tracks for this project. What is Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow?

animtest3.gif

Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow is a fan project aiming to construct a platonic version of the Demon Castle War arc by researching, respecting and tying canon plot points left unresolved by Koji Igarashi.

Even though many projects have the Demon Castle War arc as their subject matter, there were still no efforts in producing a story-focused project for this arc taking the original canon in utmost consideration. The goal of this project is to have 1999 front and center, and resolve several plot-holes with creative solutions and logical assumptions, with big emphasis on "connecting the dots", using Koji Igarashi's canon as the foundation.

Plot Summary:

After centuries of constant defeat at the hands of vampire hunters, a prophecy was discovered foretelling that Dracula would be fully revived in the year of 1999, finally plunging the world in complete darkness.

Julius Belmont will take on the role of his ancestors, and will be the first Belmont to inherit the sacred Vampire Killer whip after 200 years since it was last wielded by anyone of his same bloodline.

Along with agents of the Church, Shinto priests and even a military force, Julius is sent on a mission to thwart the revival of the Dark Lord before the prophecy can reach its conclusion with Dracula rising from his grave to destroy mankind. He is also destined to face a rival who has ties with his family's past, and whose name arose from ancestral times to take down the Dark Lord by themselves using a special weapon thought to have vanished in the mists of time...

Some concept art:

Julius:

iEp3PXd.png

Alucard:

bhQQ8pc.png

There's a lot more information, concept art, and music samples at this link:

Umbra of Sorrow fan project

This looks like a very earnest attempt to fill in the final remaining gap in Iga's Castlevania games. The Battle of 1999 is something that every Castlevania fan wanted and expected to see, the "grand finale" to the series where Dracula is sealed inside of a solar eclipse and defeated for good, but with the collapse of Konami's game development side, it looked like we were never going to get to see it. This game looks like it takes the series canon very seriously and like the dev team is trying their absolute hardest to make it seem like a genuine Igavania game. The art and music are spot on, and, if I'm being honest, it looks like the devs behind this game are putting more thought into its plot than any Castlevania game made by Konami. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

Update: It's not actually a game. It's a story oriented project. Somewhat disappointing, but still promises to offer a sense of closure to the series.

Seal me inside a solar eclipse if old.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The op of that link says it's not going to be a fan game.
Dang!

Man, I wish I read the fine print. Hopes dashed. Still a cool idea though, right?

And maybe if word gets out, someone will come along and help it turn into one.

Oh awesome! I really hope this doesn't get C&D'd though.

Wait, it sounds like this is basically only a concept at the moment. I understand why the person seemingly in charge would want to post the information, just because it is some pretty cool art and concepts, but that's disappointing there are no actual plans to develop this.

At least we have Bloodstained to look forward to.

That's absolutely true, I have faith in IGA, the demo was promising.

Astral Dog

its a shame, IGA needed to finish his timeline before moving on to Bloodstained, who knows what kind of masterpiece he could have come up with a shoestring budget

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All these fan projects... I love your passion, but you'd be doing the world a favour if you just put the effort into making your own thing.

It's the choice between making something that's potentially enduring in pop culture, and could even make you a lot of money.... Or making something that will be shut down by a lawyer and buried forever without a care on their part. It's merely their job to bury your effort forever.

You could make a "not"-Castlevania. And before that sounds demeaning, remember that even Koji Igarashi is doing that right now. He's going to be remembered and praised as a creator. Your Castlevania fan thing.. won't. Fact.

Top Bottom