• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert says he got racist voicemails after LeBron's Trump tweet

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...says-got-racist-voicemails-lebron-trump-tweet

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert says LeBron James' tweet that called President Donald Trump a "bum" prompted his phone to be flooded with "vile, disgusting, racist" voicemails that served as an eye-opener for Gilbert as to the state the country is in.

"I received voicemails after LeBron tweeted that were some of the most vile, disgusting, racist [messages]," Gilbert said Friday as a guest on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "There's an element of racism that I didn't even realize existed in this country this much."

Well, I mean, it wasn't exactly hidden, but if this is what it takes to open your eyes...

"The thing is, I mean, some of the most disgusting things I've ever heard people say," Gilbert said. "And you could hear it in their voice -- the racism. It wasn't even really about the issue, and that's what really got me, because they went to who they really are, some of them."

Full disclosure time

Gilbert has been associated with Trump in the past after his company, Quicken Loans, donated $750,000 to the president's inauguration party. He was called a "great friend" and "huge supporter" by Trump when Gilbert happened to be visiting the White House the same day the Chicago Cubs were honored for their World Series win. Gilbert issued a statement this week seeking to clarify his political leanings.

"Our interests are in the policies at the federal level, and not the politics surrounding the elections," the statement read in part. "We have often supported both political parties in the same election so that we have the ability to impact positive change, regardless of who occupies the offices."

Both Gilbert and his wife made $75,000 personal donations to the campaign of Hillary Clinton -- whom James publicly endorsed -- and Gilbert made a significant financial contribution to one of Trump's opponents for the Republican nomination, Chris Christie.

"Our focus with any office holder or politician is about the communication of the still substantial needs of our former rust-belt cities that are now finally beginning the road to recovery and growth that other parts of America have been experiencing for a long period of time," the statement continued, referring specifically to Detroit and Cleveland, where the majority of Gilbert's businesses are located.

The GOP Convention was also in his team's building in 2016.

And a little more decency

Gilbert also voiced support for James' and other athletes' political outspokenness.

"Professional athletes, owners and the leagues themselves, as well as the country, would greatly benefit from an open, inclusive dialogue that would allow the expression of all views and concerns that have recently become hot topics in professional sports," the statement said.

After hearing James elaborate on his position against Trump at the Cavs' annual media day Monday, Gilbert told staffers he was "proud" of James for his willingness to take a stand.

(LeBron James can opt out of his contract and become a free agent after the 2017-2018 season.)

Incidentally, the tweet, in case you don't recall

uN4E80y.png

andthebeatgoeson

fuck dan gilbert
I agree but when Dan Fucking Gilbert outclasses 60% of NFL owners on this issue, you know the NFL is holding a huge L.

Gilbert also voiced support for James' and other athletes' political outspokenness.

"Professional athletes, owners and the leagues themselves, as well as the country, would greatly benefit from an open, inclusive dialogue that would allow the expression of all views and concerns that have recently become hot topics in professional sports," the statement said.

After hearing James elaborate on his position against Trump at the Cavs' annual media day Monday, Gilbert told staffers he was "proud" of James for his willingness to take a stand.

Which NFL owner has the balls to say this? Which NFL coach can come close to Pop? I know which league I'm watching a ton this year.

How come?

A whole bunch of reasons.

"There's an element of racism that I didn't even realize existed in this country this much."
This pretty much sums up the problem with America. Some white people occupy space in this bubble they like to call reality where they think widespread racism ended decades ago. It baffles me how someone can actually think this in 2017. They're so out of touch with reality.

This pretty much sums up the problem with America. Some white people occupy space in this bubble they like to call reality where they think widespread racism ended decades ago. It baffles me how someone can actually think this in 2017. They're so out of touch with reality.

A whole lot of people think it only counts if the n-word is said

Not

Banned

Well, I'd like to believe that the dominos are finally falling. At least for rational white people.

"This pretty much sums up the problem with America. Some white people occupy space in this bubble they like to call reality where they think widespread racism ended decades ago. It baffles me how someone can actually think this in 2017. They're so out of touch with reality."

Or they think it only happens in the South, which everyone of color all across the country (world) knows is bullshit.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
so this was other rich people calling him up? it's phrased like they were calling his personal phone and spewing racist shit, not just random fans calling into 1800cavs or whatever they use

Top Bottom