• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE restructured - No more dedicated divisions, but not quite dead yet

I'm not particularly surprised. From what I can see, the scene is even smaller than it was at the last generational transition, and Cave's attempts to expand into new markets didn't seem to work all that well. Were they really expecting to find an audience on mobile devices? They've been trucking along at their previous pace for a while, but the big change now is that even their arcade market is no longer sustainable. Or management decided that it's no longer worth the investment.

I don't really have any suggestions for what they could have done differently. When console manufacturers don't want you around and even enthusiast gamers are apathetic, what can you do?

Oh well. I guess we'll always have Touhou.

Ruprit

I’ve been following the general reaction to this news on the shmups forum. Like the reaction to the closure of Cave’s blog, it’s less of a remorseful, “R.I.P.” found here, on NeoGAF. Instead, I find more of “I fully expected this, good riddance,” and a smattering of “Fuck Cave.”

I’m not the biggest fan of Cave’s recent games, but I do have all their region free releases, and versions of the game that did make it to Europe or the US. I’ve never been a happy with the way they treated their fans, especially the Westerners, so I can understand how some, who follow the shmup scene, share nothing more than apathy. It’s sad that such an influential division got shut down, but it is by no means surprising as some users have explained in this very thread.

Cave games are special because they have been able to generate a good deal of hype within the community, but that does not mean that their recent offerings have been quality offerings.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm not particularly surprised. From what I can see, the scene is even smaller than it was at the last generational transition, and Cave's attempts to expand into new markets didn't seem to work all that well. Were they really expecting to find an audience on mobile devices? They've been trucking along at their previous pace for a while, but the big change now is that even their arcade market is no longer sustainable. Or management decided that it's no longer worth the investment.

I don't really have any suggestions for what they could have done differently. When console manufacturers don't want you around and even enthusiast gamers are apathetic, what can you do?

Oh well. I guess we'll always have Touhou.
Arcades aren't consumer stuff though...

Can't really feel sorry for them. They dug their own grave by making horrible business decisions. They didn't adapt to market changes very swiftly. The only props I give them is releasing some of their titles on iOS. Props also to Rising Star Games for trying.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Bigbosssalute.jpg

Big fan of SHMUPS here, could never play their games this gen due to X360 exclusivity. :(

.la1n

tumblr_inline_mhhj3g8dzx1qz4rgp.gif

Why do all my favorite companies die, and take my favorite genres with them?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Isn't this changing though? I mean one of the major pillars of bitsummit was about PC DD with a particular focus on Steam.

Eh, not really. I think Playism is operating under the assumption that having one game on Steam will make it easier to release more in the future, but I don't think that approach has worked for other publishers of their size.

EDIT: of course, the biggest hurdle is simply getting Japanese devs to give a crap about the international market to begin with, so I guess they can cross the Steam bridge when they come to it.

I would buy/play more Shmups if they weren't so damn hard. Einhander is like, in my top 5 favorite games and I still play it on nearly a weekly basis, but the Shmups I've tried on MAME are ridiculous. They get to the point where the only way to survive a wall of bullets that covers the entire screen is to be in one particular spot at an exact time.

Quixzlizx

This sucks. I've bought all of their localized/region-free releases (I still haven't ordered the latest DoDonPachi, but I have the amiami tab open). Their games have pretty much been the only 360 games I've bought the last couple of years.

I don't think releasing on PSN would've necessarily helped, but I wonder whether Steam ports would have.

Why'd you pass on the console then?
Even outside of Cave's output the 360 has a significant shmup library.

Most of these are region-locked. I wanted to pre-order Caladrius, but I'm not buying a second 360 just to play it.

meppi

I’ve been following the general reaction to this news on the shmups forum. Like the reaction to the closure of Cave’s blog, it’s less of a remorseful, “R.I.P.” found here, on NeoGAF. Instead, I find more of “I fully expected this, good riddance,” and a smattering of “Fuck Cave.”

Well to a lot of people on this board, the system is more important than the games you are able to play on them. Just look at this very thread for example.
So taking that into consideration, it's easier to place those kinds of dumb comments into context.

Juken

As a casual fan, I bought the games that were localized and released in NA so I'll be sad to see them go.

They should have released on as many platforms as possible so anybody curious could check their games out. Shmups will obviously always be niche, but they needed to do everything in their power to bring in new fans to replace those lost to attrition. Being 360 exclusive ensured they would only attract a small, dwindling set of fans.

Shinriji

Why'd you pass on the console then?
Even outside of Cave's output the 360 has a significant shmup library.

Many people went for the nice, casual and sensible priced releases on IOS, like me. I am no less a cave fan because I didn't buy a console for some games, but I preordered Ketsui ps3 and hope that 5pb releases more cave ganes. Which is quite ironic, since 5pb were the more vocal xbox jp developer, but they got with the times and releases for even the vita.

rrs

Let me put it this way: Going on the PS3 would have killed CAVE. They did all their software development on 360 based hardware and having to do ports to anything else would have cost way too much for the sales they would get.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Did you buy the region free releases?

Nope. Because:

1) Not available in my region
2) 360-only when I don't own a 360
3) $$$$$$$ to import > $$$$ I want to pay for it.

You're sitting here smug about the not using digital services that could've gave them more exposure and availability.

Himself

Well, we could attempt to be optimistic. I believe Cave, Treasure, G. Rev, etc. were started by individuals that splintered from other closed studios.

So...ya know...maybe there's a few people that want to carry the torch and will start up the next great shmup company.

BTW Where is the best place for me to get that DoDonPachi whatever that's coming out? Also, is Ketsui for PS3 available yet?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, we could attempt to be optimistic. I believe Cave, Treasure, G. Rev, etc. were started by individuals that splintered from other closed studios.

So...ya know...maybe there's a few people that want to carry the torch and will start up the next great shmup company.

BTW Where is the best place for me to get that DoDonPachi whatever that's coming out? Also, is Ketsui for PS3 available yet?
Amiami

Ketsui comes out in July

I was undecided on Saidaioujou (there's so much stuff coming out right now, I wasn't really 100% sure about the art direction the game took and money is a bit tight, thought I wait on a reprint - yeah I know, part of the problem but at least I got the recent two PAL releases day 1) but in the light of these recent events maybe I should get it now. No chance for a later reprint, I guess?

Sad news :( I only warmed up to Cave games two years ago and they provided me with a joy I haven't felt with Arcade games since Dreamcast days. Meh.

danmaku

I would buy/play more Shmups if they weren't so damn hard. Einhander is like, in my top 5 favorite games and I still play it on nearly a weekly basis, but the Shmups I've tried on MAME are ridiculous. They get to the point where the only way to survive a wall of bullets that covers the entire screen is to be in one particular spot at an exact time.

It's another kind of difficulty, compared to classic shmups. I find old games like Gradius and Truxton to be much more difficult than bullet hell shooters. But then again, arcade games in general tend to be more difficult than console games to squeeze more money out of players. If you liked Einhander maybe you could try Sine Mora?

Haruhater

Banned
Please go make or post in another thread if you want to fellate Treasure.

"Make entire genres obsolete". What the fuck.
Whoa, someone's grumpy.

Look, I can't help it if you have such bad taste in games.

Both the PS3 and 360 ports of Under Defeat HD were released at the same time in Japan, and yet neither of them reached the number of sales that G.rev's single-platform (360) releases achieved. Neither version even charted for the week of their release. Going multiplatform only splintered the fanbase.
Have you SEEN how much Under Deafeat HD cost? It was laughably overpriced for what it was. It cost as much as a AAA retail game on release day.

Thanks for the lists guys. SDOJ is ordered and the collection will be complete. I'll fire it up and pour one out for CAVE when it gets here.

D.Lo

Hmm, I was a huge fan back in the day but started turning off with the loli content, the region locked games (policy changed later, but I'd stopped paying attention by then) and the platform - I had a 360 that died pre-extended warranty, and I abandoned the platform.

I bought most of the iOS ones but stopped because I enjoy them on TV, not on a phone, and of course would like some actual controls.

Goddamn it I loved the original DDP on Saturn and PS1.

jlevel13

This is a bummer, but at least over the last five years they managed to get great ports out of almost all their major games to a home console & make quite a few interesting iOS ports too. It was a good run.

Top Bottom