• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

Veezy

que?
Oh I'm not saying it's all sunshine and rainbow either.

It's just the countless This is the end and these guys sold out posts are really something else.

I think what people should focus on is what CBS' goal is by purchasing the site. I've been though two take overs in my professional carrer. Both were completely different industries and don't have anything to do with video game coverage, but I still feel the analogy is appropriate. Not exactly the same, but appropriate.

Last company I worked for that was purchased was bought for a cool 2 billion in cash (a premium on what our stock was worth at the time). We heard all this talk of how Company A bought Company B, by the new executive team, and together we'd work towards a bright future as Company C. Then terms happened, the standards dropped, etc. There was no company B or C anymore just A. I got really frustrated, as a supervisor, about how we were being forced to treat our employees and customers how our standards had tanked etc. My director sat me down and said:

"If you bought a car, your gonna drive it how you want. Well, they bought a car for 2 billion. They're gonna drive us however the fuck they want. Do what you have to, but they have a new combined total six million customers and 20 thousand employees now. Unfortunately, it's play ball or leave."

CBS owns Gamespot and Metacritic. Not exactly small business status and not exactly in the business of integrity. So, while it's too early to tell what they're gonna do to Giant Bomb, it's safe to say CBS is gonna do whatever is best for their portfolio. Time will tell, though.

tumblr_m0ycvnWwxT1qza3e8o1_500.jpg

I'm having trouble keeping up, what is happening to "This is Only a Test"? Will Whitta remain? Will the Mythbusters guys join? Is it being sacrificed to make more video content?

Izick

I mean, I'm still going to be okay if GB does go under, because more than likely, it'll happen amicably, and we still might have Jeff and Ryan as personalities at Gamespot. I think I could follow them there and see how it goes.

I still think Jeff has a brilliant mind for video games, and even though we won't have all the jokes, and all the crazy personality stuff, we'll still see Jeff shine through. I hope they keep Vinny and Dave in front of the camera though if it does happen.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The one thing that worries me is; will the visiting developers be as open with Giantbomb knowing who their new sister site is?

Brannon

What in god's... no. Damn it. Anyway, good luck to them; the corporate forge will wear at GB as surely as a river cuts through the land, but at least we should enjoy them as they are while we still can. Still get the feeling that they're about to figuratively suck the rigid cock of... yeah.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of how this turns out, I hate how this splits Tested and Giant Bomb. They better have Will Smith make up for the lack of Will Smith on the Giant Bomb side now.

Jhriad

Yeah, I agree with this. I think that Gamespot is going to either take (for themselves) Patrick, or he'll be fired, because I don't see what use he'd be for on a personality based site.

Patrick was the main reason I watched/listened to the G4 podcast. He's easily one of my favorite personalities in the gaming media. It just happens that almost all of the rest also work at Giant Bomb. Fuck the haters.

Patrick is awesome.

Patrick was the main reason I watched/listened to the G4 podcast. He's easily one of my favorite personalities in the gaming media. It just happens that almost all of the rest also work at Giant Bomb. Fuck the haters.

Patrick is awesome.

Nah man he doesn't have a personality.

He's just the keyboard player.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just don't even know if I wanna visit them anymore under control of CBSi....going to GB now will mean CBSi makes money off it, and I have no interest in supporting the kind of company that they are. I hate cooperate controlled media. I don't even watch television.

Rlan

I always have issues watching Gamespot videos, it just doesn't work in IE or Chrome. And there's no download version I can stream, or at least one I can see. Is there a secret link to the MP4 someone can link to? :)

Zeppelin

Patrick is awesome.

Yeah, agreed. He's an intelligent young man who I feel contributes a lot to the podcast.

Izick

Patrick is awesome.

That's fine, I just personally don't see his personality being as interesting as Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, or Dave.

And I won't lie, I'm personally biased here, I'm not a fan of the guy's work. I liked his news for the site, but I actually stopped going to the site when he was on QL's and Bombcasts. So yeah, maybe you're right and there is a large segment of people out there who have come to like him like we all came to like Vinny, I don't know.

CrazyDude

I just don't even know if I wanna visit them anymore under control of CBSi....going to GB now will mean CBSi makes money off it, and I have no interest in supporting the kind of company that they are. I hate cooperate controlled media. I don't even watch television.

Did you know video games also corporate controlled? Are going to stop playing video games as well? Hell the internet provider you are using right know is corporate controlled. You should stop using that too.

Anno

Oddly enough the Giantbomb chat was dead for me earlier why the Gamespot video player fired up right away and ran well.

Jhriad

That's fine, I just personally don't see his personality being as interesting as Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, or Dave.

Different strokes for different folks. Patrick has always been able to intelligently & eloquently discuss video games in a manner that I enjoy. *shrug*

Wil people please watch this shit. Puhpuhpuhpuhpuhlleeasseeee.

Its so contrived you can tell it's been rehearsed. It makes me sick and the shit he's admitting and that smarmy cunt on the other side, yuck why would you go back after admitting that. I don't get it. Oh yeah I do - the almighty dollar.

I'm out.

Yuripaw

Banned
Did you know video games also corporate controlled? Are going to stop playing video games as well? Hell the internet provider you are using right know is corporate controlled. You should stop using that too.

I do what I can to limit it. Don't talk like you know what kind of browser I use, or what kind of video games I buy. I don't care if I buy used, and I only buy the ones brand new that I believe deserve the support.

The irony is that Jeff Gerstman largely agrees with him.

On a "Jar Talk" last year he said he doesn't care to watch TV because big media "doesn't get it" and that they don't know how to adapt to this new world and that they would eventually die.

AkuMifune

Banned
I always have issues watching Gamespot videos, it just doesn't work in IE or Chrome. And there's no download version I can stream, or at least one I can see. Is there a secret link to the MP4 someone can link to? :)

Just wait for the paid CBS app. Or on GB's new CBS Facebook page. Or tweet the issue to jeff@GB.CBS.i.ecommerce.tv.

Hope everyone made out well and is happy with their situation, but it feels like a messy divorce to me. A messy divorce where some kids go with the dad, some with the mom, and the mom went back to her meth-head ex bf.

JABEE

I do what I can to limit it. Don't talk like you know what kind of browser I use, or what kind of video games I buy. I don't care if I buy used, and I only buy the ones brand new that I believe deserve the support.

ISP is not your browser.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wil people please watch this shit. Puhpuhpuhpuhpuhlleeasseeee.

Its so contrived you can tell it's been rehearsed. It makes me sick and the shit he's admitting and that smarmy cunt on the other side, yuck why would you go back after admitting that. I don't get it. Oh yeah I do - the almighty dollar.

This.

Has John Davidson ever have a good affect on any gaming site? He alone made 1Upyours fucking unlistenable with his constant ios/facebook masturbatory bullshit.

We get it you have kids but noone fucking cares.

So obviously you can bend your self-imposed rules to support some, then why can't you support GiantBomb.

Is CBS that evil?

I never really got the whole big bad corporation nonsense as damn near all corporations are out for teh monies...that's kinda the point of being a corporation.

But each to his own fight the good fight, brother/sister.

JABEE

This.

Has John Davidson ever have a good affect on any gaming site? He alone made 1Upyours fucking unlistenable with his constant ios/facebook masturbatory bullshit.

He is the person that forced the 1UP crew to podcast. He made CGW do a podcast even though they didn't want. He pushed podcasts.

Akia

This.

I have the exact opposite opinion on John Davison.

Funny how the internet works.

SPEA

This.

Wtf is this? John is the man.

He is the person that forced the 1UP crew to podcast. He made CGW do a podcast even though they didn't want. He pushed podcasts.

I like Davidson but watching him and Jeff do PR in this video made me feel dirty. I especially winced at his "we have two different audiences and will ask is this a Giant Bomb Thing or a Gamespot thing."

That sounded like ridiculious marketing nonsense. The potential audience for these two sites is exactly the same. There is no distinction to be had. We aren't talking about USA Today and New York Times here. These are two gaming websites that cater to gamers.

I'm not sure if he has been talking to execs so long that he believes this sort of nonsense or if he actually believes it.

This.

I know opinions are subjective and everything but you are factually wrong.John is the best in the industry and has been for a while now.

Zeth

Ok so I watched the video and I'm feeling much better now. I can see this is really huge news for our community, but I'm surprised by how angry/upset many people are. I think at least some good will come of it.

I'm hoping this means more Dark Souls coverage.

I like Davidson watching him and Jeff do PR in this video made me feel dirty. I especially winced at his "we have two different audiences and will ask is this a Guant Bomb Thing or a Gamespot thing."

That sounded like ridiculious marketing nonsense. The potential audience for these two sites is exactly the same. There is no distinction to be had. We aren't talking about USA Today and New York Times here. These are two gaming websites that cater to gamers.

I'm not sure if he has been talking to execs so long that he believes this sort of nonsense or if he actually believes it.

Yeah, it was pretty painful to watch. So much standard boilerplate PR-speak garbage coming out of them. That's pretty much the core of what I'm afraid of: corporate level PR has this weird tendency to fill everyone completely full of shit. I never even bother to look at a site like IGN or Gamespot because the content is dumbed down, homogenized bullshit buried under ads and stupid ass subscriptions. The appeal of GB is in the people, their attitudes, their style and their casualness, and while they claim that they will maintain their creative freedom in how they do things, it remains to be seen whether they actually CAN remain autonomous.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This.

He alone made 1Upyours fucking unlistenable with his constant ios/facebook masturbatory bullshit.

I actually loved how he gave that a lot more weight when no one else at the time was. Seeing where the industry is at now, he was right to feature it prominently. Even though I didn't have any iOS devices at the time, listening to him talk about those games never bothered me.

Nizz

I mean, I'm still going to be okay if GB does go under, because more than likely, it'll happen amicably, and we still might have Jeff and Ryan as personalities at Gamespot. I think I could follow them there and see how it goes.

I still think Jeff has a brilliant mind for video games, and even though we won't have all the jokes, and all the crazy personality stuff, we'll still see Jeff shine through. I hope they keep Vinny and Dave in front of the camera though if it does happen.
What do you mean? I thought they were going to keep on being the same Giant Bomb they've always been with no changes. The cursing on the Bombcast is half the fun. :)

megalowho

Man, I regret my initial doom and gloom now. Some of y'all are just straight up nasty.

These guys have earned my trust to see where this leads and to take their comments at face value. Giant Bomb has carved out a strong identity and voice that works for their audience, and that audience keeps growing. We'll all know if things start to feel off and so will they. And guys like Dave, Jeff and Patrick have never been nothing but earnest and honest with the site's community, especially when things get.. a little hairy (ie. subscription announcement). I respect that.

Hoping for the best, personal experience tells me corporate mergers can go to shit, but I won't hold that against them. Now lets see that fucking Binary Domain QL already.

Top Bottom