• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS: Officials intercepted Manafort speaking to Russians about the 2016 campaign

Foffy

Banned
You can Google reports, but most of our intelligence agencies confirm the interfering to get trump to win,and it's ongoing. I don't think you need to hack voting booths when you're poisoning with propaganda. I mean it's our game plan we've used against other nations(the usa) just didn't see it coming with social media. We can't discount how effective psyops are.

White supremacy, and longing for the good days( when minorities couldn't vote, or women) has always been here. Even after the civil war, which wasn't fought by the slaves, but on the behalf of the slaves, robbed black people and any underclass the opportunity to fight for their own dignity on their terms. So now you get passive racism. Legally you can't own slaves. Legally, prisoners can do forced labor. More prisoners than we ever had slaves here. Japanese internment camps, treatment of the irish. I mean the list goes on and on for america. With no real lessons learned. We are literally repeating it currently with Muslims and the lgbtq community, as well as mexicans. This is how you know it's always here, in some form. You say delusional, but there is a system that supports their beleifs. It's called the justice system.

I'm not sure about Russian moves. But America won't learn from mistakes until it's too late like any empire. It's proven to have no will to make things right for its people. The wealthy, whom are globally diversified, will be fine. And that's who poor Americans( half @ poverty level, last time I checked) want to succeed over themselves. Electing Donald trump was a open door for literal billionaires to run the country and steal from the poor. It's what Rome wanted, so fuck rome.

(Sips more wine)

Not sure if this statistic helps, but 38% of Americans make less than $24,000, so for a family with one kid ($20,160) they're in poverty.

Just out of curiosity, has any actual evidence been released, or just "he said, she said, we got proof, but still working on it"?
I'd love to hear something on the level of that leaked Nuland-Pyatt telephone call during the Ukrain Maidan.

You can Google reports, but most of our intelligence agencies confirm the interfering to get trump to win,and it's ongoing. I don't think you need to hack voting booths when you're poisoning with propaganda. I mean it's our game plan we've used against other nations(the usa) just didn't see it coming with social media. We can't discount how effective psyops are.

White supremacy, and longing for the good days( when minorities couldn't vote, or women) has always been here. Even after the civil war, which wasn't fought by the slaves, but on the behalf of the slaves, robbed black people and any underclass the opportunity to fight for their own dignity on their terms. So now you get passive racism. Legally you can't own slaves. Legally, prisoners can do forced labor. More prisoners than we ever had slaves here. Japanese internment camps, treatment of the irish. I mean the list goes on and on for america. With no real lessons learned. We are literally repeating it currently with Muslims and the lgbtq community, as well as mexicans. This is how you know it's always here, in some form. You say delusional, but there is a system that supports their beleifs. It's called the justice system.

I'm not sure about Russian moves. But America won't learn from mistakes until it's too late like any empire. It's proven to have no will to make things right for its people. The wealthy, whom are globally diversified, will be fine. And that's who poor Americans( half @ poverty level, last time I checked) want to succeed over themselves. Electing Donald trump was a open door for literal billionaires to run the country and steal from the poor. It's what Rome wanted, so fuck rome.

(Sips more wine)

I agree with all you've said here totally. It's like a perfect storm of factors, within America as well as globally. I think Hillary's also said as much recently when commenting on her book and all this shit.

Delusional may not be the right word, maybe brazen hubris.

Its way past my bedtime at this point, but I'll probably articulate more later.

SoulUnison

Banned
Possible that an investigator or other party confronted them or nunes with an incontrovertible quote they could only have gotten from surveillance.

INVESTIGATOR: "Russia is a ladder."

MANAFORT:
k5ozu8svxjiz.png

sazzy

According to a former U.S. official, the intercepts picked up conversations between Manafort and Russian individuals about the campaign.

This is the news.

The intercepts potentially include conversations between Manafort and President Trump.

This is an assumption based on the news. Its probably accurate, but it may not be.

SmokeMaxX

Maybe they weren't talking about the 2016 ELECTION. Maybe they were talking about 2016 ADOPTIONS. See? Easily confused.

Hey, now!

You folks see that flashing sign up there? Now, that sign says: "Applesauce." No, no, I'm kidding. It says "treason." Ray, do me a favor. Could you flick that once? All right. Now remember. You're all a big part of the show, so the better you are, the better Larry is. You see this gentleman? He's giving me this sign and it says, "We're on in ten seconds." So get ready to have a good time. All right, here we go. This is exciting, isn't it?

sleepnaught

Like the dozen or so other Russian Revelations, nothing will come of this. I'd honestly be surprised if even Manafort is indicted at this point.

Steejee

Just out of curiosity, has any actual evidence been released, or just "he said, she said, we got proof, but still working on it"?
I'd love to hear something on the level of that leaked Nuland-Pyatt telephone call during the Ukrain Maidan.

There's no tapes of someone in the Trump field (or Trump himself) going "Help us win, Russian Comrades", but there's plenty of smaller pieces of evidence that have come to light.

Bear in mind the Mueller's team is like a lawyer all star team that seems to add a new member every few weeks. His team aren't incompetent leaky morons like Trump and Co's laywers, they're legit smart, talented, and disciplined people and include people who are pros at getting people to flip on their bosses. When they decide it's time to play their hand then heads will roll. It's just not clear how many yet.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Here's the thing, say we jump to the future in a timeline where Trump is impeached because of smoking gun evidence of collusion with Russians to influence the election. Say it's on wiretaps from before the election. It seems as if the Obama administration held off on any action for fear of the perception of meddling or playing politics because they assumed Trump would lose.

The question going forward, in a bipartisan system, what can be done to preempt illegal actions taken by the opponent of the incumbent party ahead of an election, and how can these powers be guarded against abuse?

The FBI had a policy of not taking actions that could influence an election and we all saw how well that turned out.

Sulik2

GOP needs to be held accountable for this. We can't just let them keep gettig away with this.

There is a chance with actual wiretaps that other major GOP members might burn as well. The rumors of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnel being involved have come up more then once over the last few months. The people who need to hold GOP accountable are the American public though. There should be millions camped out in Washington DC for weeks demanding the resignation of the entire Republican party from both houses of congress over their behavior with Trump and Healthcare.

Here's the thing, say we jump to the future in a timeline where Trump is impeached because of smoking gun evidence of collusion with Russians to influence the election. Say it's on wiretaps from before the election. It seems as if the Obama administration held off on any action for fear of the perception of meddling or playing politics because they assumed Trump would lose.

The question going forward, in a bipartisan system, what can be done to preempt illegal actions taken by the opponent of the incumbent party ahead of an election, and how can these powers be guarded against abuse?

The FBI had a policy of not taking actions that could influence an election and we all saw how well that turned out.

Rule of law needs to take precedence over political perceptions. The PR hit from dealing with trump before his election does far less damage then him becoming president. The FBI should be following the rule of law and not thinking about the political perception, just serving justice in terms of election fraud. They have to stay neutral or the situation gets too messy too quick.

klonere

Banned
didn't everyone say they definitely weren't wiretapping Manafort? Because Trump said something to that effect?

did I dream that up?

legacyzero

Banned
Trump: "QUICK, What's a shitty thing to I can do to divert attention to this!?

...BAN THE GAYS."

Almost feel inevitable that something comes out of this, even if they can't directly link it to Trump.

If I was a betting man, I would have bet that Manafort would be the first card to fall if the house were to come down. I'm just glad that its getting more and more likely

JWiLL

Banned
At this point I'm just waiting for actual proof/evidence to be released or for some indictments to start coming down, or else it's just more of the same type of reports we've seen for awhile that lead to nothing.

It all sounds great, but there's been no action or consequences so far.

Sephzilla

At this point I'm just waiting for actual proof/evidence to be released or for some indictments to start coming down, or else it's just more of the same type of reports we've seen for awhile that lead to nothing.

There's like a 99% certainty that hard evidence exists. You pretty much need hard evidence to get some of the search warrants that have been used on Manafort

This shaping up to be the most important criminal case in American history. The main target is also someone who can make Federal charges disappear, and a political party bent on protecting him. Mueller is also a former FBI director and has assembled a top team of lawyers and prosecutors, you don't get people to drop their lucrative lawyer lives for a witch hunt.

When he casts his net, he'll go for the school not a single fish. That's how these big investigations play. Look at the FIFA case and how it was handled, the evidence was under wraps until the FBI and interpol caught most of the accused in one location.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hang on. Isn't this it?

Like, for real, isn't this straight up it?
I wondered if it was "it" when we got the Trump Jr email about the meeting with the Russian lawyers about dirt on the Hillary campaign. The emails contained something like "this is obviously extremely sensitive information about collaboration between Russia and the Trump campaign".

Even if it looks like "it", there's still no way to tell if it is it unless you see Trump actually being pulled down by it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
None of this will ever be enough for a GOP controlled Congress to impeach.

No matter what comes of this the only way Trump leaves the white house is if he's in cuffs. It's critical that Dems win majorities in 2018 because that's the only way we can finally end this madness.

RaidenZR

Why is conservative media reporting this as a win for Trump?

Because they frame it as proof that Trump had his wires "tapped" if there is indeed recorded conversations that involve Manafort, Russia, and Trump floating around out there. It's just misdirection from the real facts that are slowly coming out that Trump or Trump's name was probably (we don't know for sure at this time) involved in some of these phone calls or transcripts that had to be unmasked and his identity exposed to people with classified clearances.

It's a 100% completely bullshit framing of the narrative though. They're ignoring the fact that there's some really shady shit going on every step of the way toward's Trump's election win. And they'll be ignoring any of the facts Mueller brings forward as evidence too, I'm sure.

This is the same strategy the White House has been employing in regards to leakers. "Don't pay any attention to these real crimes we may or may not have (but what's a crime really, anyways?). Instead please focus on the evil fake news and these bad guy leakers trying to shine light on and expose those crimes. They're the real traitors!"

Edit:
Also, let's not fucking forget that if your communications are being monitored by government agencies like the FBI or special investigation teams, then there's probably a good reason for it and you've been involved with something that's raised an eyebrow. But conservatives who just wholesale believe the stuff they've been fed from Fox and friends will just be like "See, Obama was a BAD GUY! Poor Trump..."

Top Bottom