• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt looking for Witcher 3 publisher, Cyberpunk will have major marketing

Corto

I'll always prefer smaller scopes and no publisher interference.

I'll take another game with TW2 graphics and TW2 size over publisher interference any day.

Fuck multiplayer, DLC, online passes, marketing, fuck them all in the face.

That's the real danger. Cd Projekt having to resort to a publisher will put too much leverage outside of their hands. Ultimately it depends on the publisher, and I have faith they will chose wisely and that they have a strong enough negotiation position to sign a bullet proof contract. I'm afraid though that to the top dogs publishers a developer that sells 1.5-2.2 millions is small change. So, yeah, fingers crossed on that one.

Derrick01

Banned
That's what you meant.

I don't see CD Projekt signing with EA if it'll affect the PC version when it's so important in Europe and NA. Witcher 2 360 sales didn't exactly light the world on fire to the point where they could screw the PC users over.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see CD Projekt signing with EA if it'll affect the PC version when it's so important in Europe and NA. Witcher 2 360 sales didn't exactly light the world on fire to the point where they could screw the PC users over.

Well, EA Partners these days actually lets you choose your distribution method, which is why you see things like Amalur and Warp on Steam.

I don't know why anyone would go with EA Partners. All of those games seem to get very little in the way of promotion and (related or not) seem to flop.

- Trailer represents the level of in-game graphics that they're aiming for.
iMBht0dXdhLYx.png

The PC version wouldn't be touched by EA would it? How hard would it be to just slap it on GoG and Steam?

Not particularly, but even Valve has EA's sticky paws all over their discs.

Why would they not just stick with Atari, was it the DRM issue?

Atari sold their European arm to Namco, who was a pain in the butt throughout Witcher 2's publishing, so they're almost certainly out.

Instro

CD Projekt CEO was interviewed by TVN CNBC and had few interesting things to say:

- Trailer represents the level of in-game graphics that they're aiming for.

- Cyberpunk 2077 will have a much bigger marketing budget than any of their previous games, and they're confident it will be a commercial success comparable to the "big games". The most important market for C2077 will be NA.

- They are about to start talks with publishers about their second title (which will be announced on 5 February).

The last point suggest that we may as well see some gameplay footage from the second title.

...Sounds a bit dangerous.

I wonder how the deals with games like Shank went.

Bethesda or 2K sound like the ideal picks, SE wouldn't be so bad, either.

Bethesda or 2K don't strike me as publishers that would allow them to ship when it's ready, they might force them to put the product out sooner than what CDP would prefer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bethesda or 2K don't strike me as publishers that would allow them to ship when it's ready, they might force them to put the product out sooner than what CDP would prefer.

Bethesda gave Arkane all the time they need for Dishonored, their other studio Machinegames are working on one game game since forever now, Bethesda/Zenimax don't seems to push developer.

the good thing about Bethesda publishing CDPR games is is that they have loyal WRPG and shooter fanbase that will be good for CDPR and Witcher 3/Cyberpunk.

zkylon

zkylewd
Dishonored sounds like it was a perfect match with Beth, that's why.

But like I said, no publisher > publisher

BraXzy

Bethesda gave Arkane all the time they need for Dishonored, their other studio Machinegames are working on one game game since forever now, Bethesda/Zenimax don't seems to push developer.

the good thing about Bethesda publishing CDPR games is is that they have loyal WRPG and shooter fanbase that will be good for The CDPR and Witcher 3/Cyberpunk.

I agree with this, people who might not be all that into gaming info beyond release dates and trailers, seeing the Bethesda logo at the start/end of a trailer might make them go oooh them peeps that did skyrim (mainly applicable in Witchers case) but the same could apply to 2K Games with the successes of Borderlands

So does Cyberpunk already have a publisher and funding?

And I would guess a lot of pubs will try and get the IP from them in exchange for publishing. Not sure who would be ok with letting them keep it. EA partners does it but signing with them is a death wish.

I think 2k might be the best fit. I can't recall an independent AAA game published by Bethesda, while 2k has done a good job with the Gearbox stuff, for example.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well, against Bethesda, there is the fact that Prey 2 seems dead in the water for whatever reason...

If rumors are to be believed then Prey 2 issue is with Human Head extra demands that weren't in the original contract they signed with Bethesda.

it's actually a point for Bethesda since they still didn't just say "fuck it" and kill the project or moved it to another studio when it was over a year and Human Head were refusing to work on it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I mean, we can't be this pessimistic! EA? Bethesda? Hell no! Valve will save us! Right?

Ah, dammit we're screwed.

Anyway, them graphics! I wonder, since NA will be their biggest market for Cyberpunk, will they compromise the game's design to cater the market? Or are they hoping graphics win Average Joe over? I'm sold regardless.

Eusis

If Atlus had a European branch (or if CDPR can handle it there themselves) I'd kinda like them to do it: it'd be THE great western RPG they can help get released, and they favor extremely nice LEs, I half expect the likes of EA would want to convince them to abandon the notion of a great standard package.

Kinda expect WB again though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Atlus had a European branch (or if CDPR can handle it there themselves) I'd kinda like them to do it: it'd be THE great western RPG they can help get released, and they favor extremely nice LEs, I half expect the likes of EA would want to convince them to abandon the notion of a great standard package.

Kinda expect WB again though.

I doubt Atlus could or would afford the level of marketing Witcher 3 would warrant. There's a reason they publish smaller european titles

Jarmel

Banned
If rumors are to be believed then Prey 2 issue is with Human Head extra demands that weren't in the original contract they signed with Bethesda.

it's actually a point for Bethesda since they still didn't just say "fuck it" and kill the project or moved it to another studio when it was over a year and Human Head were refusing to work on it.

So what is going on with the game anyway? Last I heard was that another studio is picking it up anyway.

Eusis

I doubt Atlus could or would afford the level of marketing Witcher 3 would warrant. There's a reason they publish smaller european titles
Yeah, they'd deliver on the packaging but not the marketing. :/

... Now that I think about it though, I'm going to have to import this from Europe if I want a physical copy, aren't I? Physical's nearly dead for PC here, and Witcher packages are actually ones I want to get physically.

While there are many theoretical scenarios that could screw up with CD Projekt's game's integrity due to a publisher, I put my trust in them to make the right decision. They have an amazing development philosophy and I am sure they are fully aware of the risks and stakes at hand by choosing a shitty publisher.

My only worry is that they will overextend themselves by developing Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk and one of them will succumb to development hell or even cancellation. I know they are a lot bigger after Witcher 1 and 2, but it is not like they AAA game money.

the good thing about Bethesda publishing CDPR games is is that they have loyal WRPG and shooter fanbase that will be good for CDPR and Witcher 3/Cyberpunk.

This is true. I forgot about it. So list time:

Bethesda
Square
Ubi

Durante

Yeah, if they have to get a publisher I'd like it to be either Square or Bethesda. Both have the financials to do it, and both have a good recent history with publishing new IPs and releasing good PC versions of them.

I don't like this one bit....
CDPR going "AAA" (marketing, aiming for the biggest possible turnover).

Wasting budget and having to make the game appeal to as many people as possible.

Will not support if they do a 50 million marketing thing (I am serious).
Seen this happen to every developer and IP I love over the years, the results have been the same every single time with no exceptions.

edit : NA market, ok then... When I thought I couldn't get more skeptical.

Eusis

Yeah, if they have to get a publisher I'd like it to be either Square or Bethesda. Both have the financials to do it, and both have a good recent history with publishing new IPs and releasing good PC versions of them.
Square probably won't bother with a physical PC version though, all of their recent games outside of Europe on PC have been DD-only, even huge titles like Hitman and TR are skipping retail.

Bethesda would probably do well there at least, but I half expect they'd see a conflict of interest. Then again I guess this probably hits in a period between games anyway.

injurai

Banned
Atari has no money.

The thread is based around the assumption they're signing a publishing deal instead of a distribution deal since this is so far from launch.

Ahh, I'm pretty out of touch with publishers, but I think that is because they are out of touch with me.

honestly 2K would probably be great for them.

Top Bottom