• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt may be preparing to defend against a hostile takeover

Which of these companies is presumably trying to buy CD Projekt?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, today's CD PR would make little sense in Tencent's portfolio but you never know. Maybe they want to enter the console space for whatever reason. Or make blockbuster games.

What if they want that Gwent. China needs their own Hearthstone. ;)

Xater is on the right track in that not only is Gwent a thing, but CD Projekt has announced they're putting multiplayer in all their products going forward.

That said, Tencent usually waits until a company is actually successful in online before buying.

Couldn't Ubi merge with them to prevent takeovers?

Have you heard the good news about Ubisoft?

Or the other good news about Ubisoft?

Menitta

I'd hope it's a Sega-Atlus situation where they let them keep doing what they're doing.

I have no stake in this anyway. I didn't think Witcher 3 was that good. Cyberpunk looks cool though.

AmuroChan

An easy way to narrow down the candidates is to look at who the biggest shareholders of CDPR are. You can't attempt a hostile takeover if you don't already own a sizable chunk of the company.

inky

Having ridiculous funding, technical support from DICE, and the ability to take as long with their games as they need? ��

CD Project already delivered 10 times the game Bioware has been trying to and they didn't need any of that.

The last thing they need is being bogged down by EA's structure and assembly line design where everything has to hit certain marks: Crap DLC, forced MP, awful microtransactions, etc.

I gotta agree if this is happening I think it might be EA. Especially with those rumors that were floating around a year or so ago

CHC

If it truly is a preemptive measure then that is smart of them. They are one of the last bastions of "quality-first" design but it's always unnerved me that they are a public company.

Åesop;222931027 said:
Neil Druckmann strikes again..

last-us-interview-neil-druckmann.jpg

His reign of tyranny will truly outlive us all.

diaspora

What about the death of GOG? Or the canceling of CD Projekt's future new IPs that don't sell gangbusters like Witcher 3? Yeah, they need to stay independent.
I have no problem with GOG, or them staying independent, but people citing Bioware as a reason they shouldn't do it, or people as seeing the games would be worse are full of pure shit.

Grief.exe

Having ridiculous funding, technical support from DICE, and the ability to take as long with their games as they need? 🤔

CD Projekt has their own engine, so that would be redundant at best and possibly hurt the development pipeline if asked to switch to their internal engine.

Wrong =)

Inquisition and Andromeda have large development cycles where they were able to delay 6-12 months and further if they wanted to so...

I think the argument was look at the quality of those games Bioware has made recently, the different demographics they are targeting than pre-EA acquisition, and the massive talent bleed that occurred. It's difficult to make an argument that EA's acquisition has been good for Bioware.

RPGam3r

Let's be honest, any hostile takeover of Ubisoft is going to result in an insignificant change to consumers. A hostile change of CD Projekt could have huge ramifications.

This is not true. If you don't like Ubisoft's efforts that is fine, but to pretend a take over would have no impact is empty speculation at best.

Cat Party

I would guess that, if someone is planning a hostile takeover, it's going to be an investment company rather than some well known game publisher.

M.D

I feel like there's an extremely small list of companies who would be realistically interested in buying them right now.

Ubisoft seems like its out of the question with its financial troubles and threat of hostile takeover

Activision doesn't seem interested in making the sort of games CD Projekt is making, and they don't seem like the kind of publisher to expand into Eastern Europe with a studio in Poland

Take-Two feels like pretty much the same way as Activision. I know they just released Mafia 3 but 2K is not really making big scale games any more outside of that right? and did they semi-kill Ken Levin's studio after Bioshock Infinite

This only really leaves us with EA which feels like logical choice with the kind of games they are making and their past acquisitions.

I was thinking about Sony or Microsoft buying potential buyers, but with this being reported as a hostile takeover it seems way out of line for them to do with current console-maker - publisher/developer relationships

Fake Edit: I forget about Warner

boskee

Another important thing to keep in mind is the fact, that the two founders and employees hold ~35% of the company.

Savitar

Oh god no, this has been my fear, they have risen so fast and so popular someone was bound to try and buy them out if not take over in some way piece at a time. I do not want anyone to have any part of them, it will be the beginning of the end. We know this story, we've seen it too many times already.

AmuroChan

I would guess that, if someone is planning a hostile takeover, it's going to be an investment company rather than some well known game publisher.

It would have to be someone that already owns a significant number of shares in the company. Otherwise it's going to be very hard to get to 51% ownership when the company itself isn't interested in selling.

Aters

A EA buy out won't be too bad. I doubt Activision would buy it because it won't release a game every two years.

I gotta say, dat Chinese chicken company is a good candidate. They will let CD project do whatever they are doing.

Schlorgan

I feel like there's an extremely small list of companies who would be realistically interested in buying them right now.

Ubisoft seems like its out of the question with it's financial troubles and threat of hostile takeover

Activision doesn't seem interested in making the sort of games CD Projekt is making, and they don't seem like the kind of publisher to expand into Eastern Europe with a studio in Poland

Take-Two feels like pretty much the same way as Activision. I know they just released Mafia 3 but 2K is not really making big scale games any more outside of that right? and did they semi-kill Ken Levin's studio after Bioshock Infinite

This only really leaves us with EA which feels like logical choice with the kind of games they are making and their past acquisitions.

I was thinking about Sony or Microsoft buying potential buyers, but with this being reported as a hostile takeover it seems way out of line for them to do with current console-maker - publisher/developer relationships

EA doesn't seem like they're interested in making any acquisitions right now. Also, acquisition via hostile takeover isn't their thing.

Additionally, and most importantly, if they were prepping for a hostile takeover they would've had to at least mention it in their quarterly report.

Vex_

Banned
whoever buys cd, it will be bad.

They want to capitalize off of existing franchises and drain the talent out of them until they are lifeless, uninspired, creation chambers.

They WILL get bought. It is just a matter of time. Get ready for the witcher: the witchering: The journey 4: MULITPLAYER EDITION and 16 different dlcs that youll need a cart to categorize properly.

All good things come to an end. It was a good ride, folks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA doesn't seem like they're interested in making any acquisitions right now. Also, acquisition via hostile takeover isn't their thing.

Additionally, you'd think if they were prepping for a hostile takeover they would've mentioned it in their quarterly report.

Yeah, EA isn't actually a likely option.

Xiao Hu

Wait, my fault. Bloomberg has tracked the Stuttgart stock exchange. Based on the Onvista there was indeed a transaction of around 2% in early September and another one end of the same month of around 1,2%. Still nothing to worry about.

AmuroChan

Ubisoft seems like its out of the question with its financial troubles and threat of hostile takeover

Fake Edit: I forget about Warner

It would be extremely difficult for any of those companies to acquire CDPR via a hostile takeover unless they already own significant # of shares of CDPR. Hard to get to 51% ownership when you aren't already one of the larger stakeholders and the company itself isn't interested in selling.

Top Bottom