• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt opens test for The Witcher 3's REDkit, new robust mod tool

Draugoth

Gold Member
cd-projekt-abre-teste-para-o-redkit-de-the-witcher-3-nova-ferramenta-de-mod-106439.jpg

CD Projekt is currently working on REDkit for The Witcher, which promises to be a robust mod tool for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, allowing PC gamers to further customize their experience, from making changes to terrain to creating new quests, animations and characters.

For players eager to start playing with the tool, the company has opened a registration for those interested in taking part in the official Playtest on Steam of The Witcher 3 editor.

The Witcher 3 REDkit is a comprehensive modification tool for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that we are developing. It is based on the same set of tools that were used by our developers to create the game and should allow almost unlimited freedom when modifying it. REDkit will be available free of charge to all owners of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PC and is scheduled for release later this year.

Dazraell

Can't wait for mods created with this tool. They should be insane with people willing to spend time on it
There will definitely be some people interested in working on this. I mean, some lads used Witcher 2 mod tools to create this mod. This will definitely keep people occupied until the next game

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I wonder if they will somehow utilize this mod tool or some of the content created in some fashion in the up coming Witcher game.

Dazraell

I wonder if they will somehow utilize this mod tool or some of the content created in some fashion in the up coming Witcher game.
Most likely they won't as next Witcher will be on a new engine (Unreal Engine 5). But there is a chance they may do something similar for Cyberpunk

John Bilbo

Most likely they won't as next Witcher will be on a new engine (Unreal Engine 5). But there is a chance they may do something similar for Cyberpunk
I think they could for example seek talent through the modding scene using the new tools or straight up buy assets or designs created by the modders. I have no idea if CDPR is interested in such things but it could be one way they utilize the new tools.

Cool, but I can never get into mods. I feel too strongly about the original artistic vision. I hope that this is used to scout quest design talent, though. Didn't the Cyberpunk quest designer get hired after he submitted some W3 quest ideas?

Dazraell

I think they could for example seek talent through the modding scene using the new tools or straight up buy assets or designs created by the modders. I have no idea if CDPR is interested in such things but it could be one way they utilize the new tools.

Fun fact, one of the modders once created a mod for The Witcher 2 called Lykaon which piqued CD Projekt's attention and resulted in them hiring this guy. He's now one of the lead devs and worked on Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and is working on the next Witcher, so these mods can definitely be a great hiring tool. But I don't think they are interested in buying assets created by modders, especially that Witcher 3 mods won't be compatible with anything they will do for future projects as technology used for them will be different

Mod tools aren't technically a new thing in The Witcher series as both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 had proper editors and plenty of really cool mods. CDPR apparently wasn't happy with a lukewarm reception of Witcher 2 mod tools, but even these tools gave some really good mods (although less than TW1 had), including the one I linked earlier (Farewell of the White Wolf). This thing is basically like an unofficial expansion. So I guess they changed their minds over the years and decided to something like this for TW3

I think the main reason they're doing these mod tools is the fact they can see TW3 is still very popular after so many years and how often PC players tend to play with mods. So giving proper tools to community gives them more creative opportunities to create passion projects, which retroactively can extend the life of The Witcher 3 even further. Crazy to think that next year this game will have its 10th year anniversary

ultrazilla

Gold Member
cd-projekt-abre-teste-para-o-redkit-de-the-witcher-3-nova-ferramenta-de-mod-106439.jpg

CD Projekt is currently working on REDkit for The Witcher, which promises to be a robust mod tool for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, allowing PC gamers to further customize their experience, from making changes to terrain to creating new quests, animations and characters.

For players eager to start playing with the tool, the company has opened a registration for those interested in taking part in the official Playtest on Steam of The Witcher 3 editor.

The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 crossover event. Let's do it

GHound

So as someone who is not well versed in The Witcher 3 modding, what exactly is the real difference between this and the existing modkit supposed to be?

Dazraell

So as someone who is not well versed in The Witcher 3 modding, what exactly is the real difference between this and the existing modkit supposed to be?
Past tools were very limited and allowed for only some basic modifications. This one will include complete toolset which will allow to create new quests, characters, items and landscapes along many other things. Think of stuff you can make for Bethesda games

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really hope we get someone who makes an expansion that ties up some loose plot points. Such as the fate of the baron's wife, the crone and a mod that allows you to save the children and the village from the super crone.

Dazraell

So what you're saying is that cdpr will take the modding throne and Bethesda will finally become an irrelevant unloved studio???

Or a man can dream....
Nah, but modders will have more possibilities thanks to the scope of the toolset, which can result in some cool projects in the future

Kumomeme

..to creating new quests, animations and characters.
im excited about animation. i hope someone would finally fix the game animation. didnt touch any of the expansion due to the combat animation responsive, hit box and weight issue.

heck imagine if anyone just port FF16 combat straight into the game.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm surprised that official tools aren't already out for W3 given its age, but it never hurts to have them. I'm sure it will lead to some interesting mods.

Top Bottom