• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

If Gwent can have the same quality of production as Hearthstone but with a more competitive gameplay and better design pillars, I'm all in. RIP Wallet.

Interfectum

The fact that the game connects to GOG Galaxy is a potentially good thing, IMO. If the PS4/XBO/PC versions all connect there's a good chance our card collection will be cross platform like Hearthstone is. So no matter where you play Gwent on current and future platforms, the connection to GOG will ensure you take your collection with you (in theory).

Nordicus

100 devs on Gwent is incredibly concerning.

Focus on cyberpunk.
Gwent is going to have multiple story campaigns that are hours long, with voice acting, choices, and a JRPG style top-down overworld where the fights are represented as the card game.

It was never going to have a small staff

Tovarisc

Gwent is going to have multiple story campaigns that are hours long, with voice acting, choices, and a JRPG style top-down overworld where the fights are represented as the card game.

If they pull that off well it's going to shit all over Hearthstones adventure stuff.

Exentryk

Yeah, I'm interested to see how this looks.

Definitely the best developer nowadays, and one of the best of all-time!
(Greetings to the cousins from Hungary, nice job CDPR!)

n0razi

Get in habit of using dodge step and roll, especially step.

It's just a pretty tight window, gotta time it just right

Thanks for the tips, I abandoned parry and using just Dodge (B), I am having no problems.

I think the 2nd problem I have with combat is the terrible auto targeting. It seems to target the wrong person 2 out of 3 times or it will switch targets mid attack to someone I have no intention of hitting. Also, I would like to have some sort of dash ability to close the distance to a target.

Oh and I just discovered Alternate Movement setting.... who the hell at CDPR thought the original movement was a good idea?!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So it turns out you CAN make a shit-ton of money by being extremely customer-friendly (and by releasing good games too). I really hope other companies take note...

Tovarisc

Oh and I just discovered Alternate Movement setting.... who the hell at CDPR thought the original movement was a good idea?!

I love original movement. It has more weight to it than twitchtwitch weightless movement in alternative mode. At the end they listened to feedback and gave people more options, which is nice.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One big benefit of being based in Poland is a much lower living cost and thus lower wages. Honestly surprised more studios aren't moving to that part of the world.

Or have they not been paying their staff reasonably for that part of the world?

How many devs want to actually live in Poland?

Totakeke

You can't just pick a country where wages are lower and decide to start a company there. It either has to have an already developed industry with enough people with the skill sets that you need or you need to have enough patience and time along with sufficient appetite for risk to develop a skilled workforce. The latter isn't usually done for most established companies. Developing games isn't a low skill work either so the overall gain from the amount of money you save in wages is hard to be quantified.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The problem with entering Poland is that there's already two gigantic studios suctioning up a lot of the staff and a wide variety of others that are pretty sizable as well.

They have a more prominent dedicated device game industry than Germany and France at this point.

You don't see a lot of people entering Sweden despite the great industry supply chain for similar reasons.

That and the biggest tax incentive is setting up in Montreal so...

Venom Fox

Banned
Well deserved.

Witcher 4 please. Im not too keen on cyberpunk shits.
giphy.gif

Edit: I do want a Witcher 4 though!

dangatang

Neo Member
why wouldnt they? what do you find wrong with Poland?

I thought about doing it, but CDPR pays under the industry standard. Sure Poland's cost of living is lower, but I don't want to commit to living there forever, and if the money I save is worth less other places I could find employment, It doesn't make financial sense to do it.

injurai

Banned
They've had multiple offers from big publishers and have declined all of them. Iwinski made it clear they are very successful and wish to remain independent. Don't think we need to worry about that.

Aren't they publicly traded though? I know they also sold off cdp.pl a year back.

How many devs want to actually live in Poland?

Too much time on r/polandball and not enough time on r/civ?

It's nice to see a developer/publisher of their caliber and all around consumer friendliness be so successful. A real positive force in the industry that desperately needs them. Unless they do a complete 180, I'll always support them.

Tovarisc

I thought about doing it, but CDPR pays under the industry standard. Sure Poland's cost of living is lower, but I don't want to commit to living there forever, and if the money I save is worth less other places I could find employment, It doesn't make financial sense to do it.

Something I have seen people mention few times, but never with actual numbers. Like position one applies for, industry standard for that position (is that "standard" even worldwide thing?) and what CDPR offered. Would be interesting to see. Also makes you wonder what kind pay companies like Remedy offer.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The problem with entering Poland is that there's already two gigantic studios suctioning up a lot of the staff and a wide variety of others that are pretty sizable as well.

They have a more prominent dedicated device game industry than Germany and France at this point.

You don't see a lot of people entering Sweden despite the great industry supply chain for similar reasons.

That and the biggest tax incentive is setting up in Montreal so...

Just a comment, but here in France, it seems pretty much everyone I know in the industry works for Ubisoft, is trying/wishes to work for Squeenix/Nintendo, or just works in a different industry :p.

YaBish

I've always wondered how much cyberpunk might eat Deus Ex's lunch. More competition in the immersive sim genre would be enticing for sure.

Momentary

Banned
My wife is from Poland and we've been to Zamosc (her hometown)as well as spent some time in the capital. I love that country. They don't make a ton of money, but they also dont have to spend an arm and a leg for things. I love their restaurants there. Everyone I went to was unique and if you were a tipper you basically got treated like royalty. People there seemed to be happy and laid back... Aside from hooligans at the bar.

purdobol

So happy.
But tbh it was predictable. They've always put out good service and genuinely love games and gaming in general. Making dev studio was good move though.

(Greetings to the cousins from Hungary, nice job CDPR!)

Lengyel, magyar – két jó barát
Együtt harcol s issza borát
Vitéz s bátor mindkettője
Áldás szálljon mindkettőre.

Greetings :)

boskee

Just to clarify - Kicinski (CEO) has stated, that they had a small team of about 25 people that worked on the previous mobile game - Battle Arena, which was sort of an experiment built in cooperation with an external company. That team has grown in size and it's them who are building Gwent. It's a Unity game, not Redkit, so they didn't move people from Cyberpunk (except, perhaps, some artists and quest designers).

Also, bulk of the development of Cyberpunk 2077 happens in their new studio in Krakow, and Gwent is built in their main office. There's nothing to worry about with regards to Cyberpunk.

The fact that the game connects to GOG Galaxy is a potentially good thing, IMO. If the PS4/XBO/PC versions all connect there's a good chance our card collection will be cross platform like Hearthstone is. So no matter where you play Gwent on current and future platforms, the connection to GOG will ensure you take your collection with you (in theory).

Yes, Galaxy is cross-play ready. Xbox One cross-play is already confirmed, PS4 depends on Sony's approval.

Taij

Something I have seen people mention few times, but never with actual numbers. Like position one applies for, industry standard for that position (is that "standard" even worldwide thing?) and what CDPR offered. Would be interesting to see. Also makes you wonder what kind pay companies like Remedy offer.

OK here are some actual numbers. As a senior engine programmer industry standard in the US you would expect to make between $100,000/year and $120,000/year. This can fluctuate based on where you live, like if you're looking in Texas you may get paid less. And some companies will have secondary compensation which could be a significant part of your pay check.

At CDP a senior engine programmer would get paid between 13,000 PLN/month to 17,000 PNL/month. That comes out to between 40k - 50k USD before taxes.

Now within Poland this is a HUGE salary. Like serious ask anyone living there if they want to get paid 17,000 PLN/month and they will fall over themselves and say it's impossible to make that much money in Poland. A typical salary is about 5,000 PLN/month. On a salary of 17k you can live very well within Poland, even in Warszawa which is more expensive than other parts of the country. Just to give you an idea my favorite restaurant there is a little Italian restaurant where everything is super fresh, and they do a great job having an interesting menu and with two people you can order starters, desert, whatever and your bill will likely be under 150 PLN.

The thing is, while everyone will tell you how 17k is a crazy amount of money it's really not. I mean if you live like a Pole and don't leave Poland then yeah it's a ton. But if you want to buy electrons (game consoles, tvs) or video games you quickly see how far your money doesn't go. For a video game it get's priced at $59 USD, this gets converted to 59€ (for some stupid reason), then in Poland that gets translated to about 250 PLN. So you can see something like a new game is almost twice as much as two people going out to a great dinner.

Same thing when you travel. Want to go to Gdansk? No problem, train is cheap, you're in Poland, you live like a king. Want to go to Berlin? All of a sudden you don't have nearly as much money as you would like.

Then there are the issues of having a family. An apartment can be cheap (1,000 zl/month) but a decent one in a nice part of town with a couple rooms is more like 4k zl/month, and that likely won't have AC which you will be missing in the summer! And then there's school. If you want your kids in a Polish school then great, no problem (other than the language and educational differences.) But if you're British and decide to send your kids to the British school then you're going to spend about 25,000 zl per kid per year for school. American and want your kids in the American school? Good luck with that, 30,000 USD!!! per kid per year. Yeah, that school is only for kids whose parent work at the US embassy (free), work for a big US company (company pays) or for really rich Poles that want the status symbol. If you're American working for CDP then you will send your kids to Polish school.

OK, that's a Senior Engine programmer which is going to be one of the highest paid positions outside of a Lead. Something like a standard producer gets paid about 8,000 zl/month. Again this is a "great" salary for Poland but it sucks unless you are a thrifty single person, or are going to stay in Poland and never leave.

As for the other "why would you want to live in Poland" posts. Those are largely ignorant, some people absolutely love living in Warsaw, others find it really difficult and depressing. You can't really fault anyone for wanting or not wanting to live someplace. However remember that CDP is looking to open studios in North America and that's largely because there are a lot of people who would work for them but won't relocate to Poland.

Sorry for the wall of text but hopefully that answers your question.

dangatang

Neo Member

Cost of living in Poland is substantially lower, but I would make about 50-60% of my current salary in the states if I took a job there, and I would also likely pay higher taxes. Obviously the standard pay isn't a global thing, and I could live just as comfortably as I do now (with some exceptions) on that salary in Poland.

If you're a successful studio bringing in tons of money, selling your product globally, and recruiting aggressively globally, it might be more fair to become globally competitive with your salaries as well. It's the more morally upright thing to share the benefit of the low cost of living with your employees than it is to take all that benefit for yourself.

Tovarisc

OK here are some actual numbers. As a senior engine programmer industry standard in the US you would expect to make between $100,000/year and $120,000/year. This can fluctuate based on where you live, like if you're looking in Texas you may get paid less. And some companies will have secondary compensation which could be a significant part of your pay check.

At CDP a senior engine programmer would get paid between 13,000 PLN/month to 17,000 PNL/month. That comes out to between 40k - 50k USD before taxes.

Now within Poland this is a HUGE salary. Like serious ask anyone living there if they want to get paid 17,000 PLN/month and they will fall over themselves and say it's impossible to make that much money in Poland. A typical salary is about 5,000 PLN/month. On a salary of 17k you can live very well within Poland, even in Warszawa which is more expensive than other parts of the country. Just to give you an idea my favorite restaurant there is a little Italian restaurant where everything is super fresh, and they do a great job having an interesting menu and with two people you can order starters, desert, whatever and your bill will likely be under 150 PLN.

The thing is, while everyone will tell you how 17k is a crazy amount of money it's really not. I mean if you live like a Pole and don't leave Poland then yeah it's a ton. But if you want to buy electrons (game consoles, tvs) or video games you quickly see how far your money doesn't go. For a video game it get's priced at $59 USD, this gets converted to 59€ (for some stupid reason), then in Poland that gets translated to about 250 PLN. So you can see something like a new game is almost twice as much as two people going out to a great dinner.

Same thing when you travel. Want to go to Gdansk? No problem, train is cheap, you're in Poland, you live like a king. Want to go to Berlin? All of a sudden you don't have nearly as much money as you would like.

Then there are the issues of having a family. An apartment can be cheap (1,000 zl/month) but a decent one in a nice part of town with a couple rooms is more like 4k zl/month, and that likely won't have AC which you will be missing in the summer! And then there's school. If you want your kids in a Polish school then great, no problem (other than the language and educational differences.) But if you're British and decide to send your kids to the British school then you're going to spend about 25,000 zl per kid per year for school. American and want your kids in the American school? Good luck with that, 30,000 USD!!! per kid per year. Yeah, that school is only for kids whose parent work at the US embassy (free), work for a big US company (company pays) or for really rich Poles that want the status symbol. If you're American working for CDP then you will send your kids to Polish school.

OK, that's a Senior Engine programmer which is going to be one of the highest paid positions outside of a Lead. Something like a standard producer gets paid about 8,000 zl/month. Again this is a "great" salary for Poland but it sucks unless you are a thrifty single person, or are going to stay in Poland and never leave.

As for the other "why would you want to live in Poland" posts. Those are largely ignorant, some people absolutely love living in Warsaw, others find it really difficult and depressing. You can't really fault anyone for wanting or not wanting to live someplace. However remember that CDP is looking to open studios in North America and that's largely because there are a lot of people who would work for them but won't relocate to Poland.

Gives better picture and context than "lol, now they can afford pay salary to their employees" drive by comments. Naturally there is even more to this than what your post covers, but thank you for wall.

Will we see more eastern European game studios break through like CD Projekt has?

People Can Fly and Remedy comes into mind.

Edit: In future? Time will tell

Gives better picture and context than "lol, now they can afford pay salary to their employees" drive by comments. Naturally there is even more to this than what your post covers, but thank you for wall.

People Can Fly and Remedy comes into mind.

Edit: In future? Time will tell

Throw Techland into that mix too. Remedy is northern though.

So it turns out you CAN make a shit-ton of money by being extremely customer-friendly (and by releasing good games too). I really hope other companies take note...

They got too much tied up in manipulation of hype and giving off airs of power to scare off take-overs to do that.

Thanks for this, but now I want a swanky Italian meal...

Laeth

Neo Member

This isn't a Polish issue. It's a European one. European studios don't pay North American wages.

KonradLaw

They didn't have to miss it just delay playing them. If people didn't subscribe to those clients time 1-2 years and everyone would have eventually gone back to Steam.

Nope. Steam still isn't popular in Asia and that's the biggest market for F2P games. Having them require Steam would mean those games would be destined to flop. And margins are razor thin in that industry for many devs, having to pay cut out of every microtransaction would lead many devs to bancrupcy.

And also..Steam has to small userbase to handle F2P games. Limiting the audience just to Steam users would be suicide for many F2P devs. Not to mention putting the entire pc gaming industry solely in hands of one company is just plain irresponsible, even if it's Valve.

KonradLaw

This isn't a Polish issue. It's a European one. European studios don't pay North American wages.

It might be, but even inside EU Polish studios don't pay as much, which is natural, since it still is a lot poorer country than western EU and costs of living are lower. This is actually a good thing. The gamedev industry in Poland is exploding right now and there's no way in hell it would be doing as good as it is if the wages would be on North American levels.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GOG Galaxy as uPlay?

Not sure I understand that part in this thread subject.

A network and social platform, and a middle-man client on Steam, essentially. Gwent will be on Steam after the beta period, and as it's going to be the first game to be fundamentally integrated with Galaxy, the Steam version is going to be tied to it a la Ubi and its Uplay games.

CloudWolf

For people asking about Gwent, there are lots of matches and information in this YT channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZnSkDHvtVhwzcJU5DEjNA

FYI, this is not how the game is going to be. CD Projekt RED realized that Gwent as it exists in The Witcher 3 is completely broken from a competitive perspective, so they changed a ton of rules for the game.

Techland and Paradox are close.
Sweden is Eastern Europe now? Technically, Poland isn't even Eastern Europe.

boskee

Gwent will be on Steam after the beta period

Any source? I didn't hear anything about Steam release.

FYI, this is not how the game is going to be. CD Projekt RED realized that Gwent as it exists in The Witcher 3 is completely broken from a competitive perspective, so they changed a ton of rules for the game

Erm, that channel is focusing on the new Gwent.

Top Bottom