• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's government grants: new details emerge, projects out by end of Q1 2019

I think Cyberpunk is firtehr along than many think. Wouldn't be surprised if we see something.

Would love it if they get to show it on Scorpio during Microsoft's show like they did with Witcher 3. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I do hope the MP focus won't be too big though. Give me a complete and awesome SP experience.

Would love it if they get to show it on Scorpio during Microsoft's show like they did with Witcher 3. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I do hope the MP focus won't be too big though. Give me a complete and awesome SP experience.

Perhaps it's a more subtle integration of MP, like Soulsborne games. But yeah, I'd love to see an E3 reveal.

pablito

I don't think I can wait till 2019 for Cyberpunk 2077. That's two years away.

Perfectly fine with it not coming out this year with how packed it's been. Assuming next year isn't this packed, it would have been perfect then. I can wait, though. It'll be worth it.

Tigress

As long as there's no intrusive multiplayer bullshit in my open world cyberpunk RPG, I'm ga,e.

Yeah... I got a little worried when I saw the MP part too... One of the biggest reasons I paid attention to Witcher at first (I had never heard of it) was when I saw an article saying how they were not going to do MP cause they wanted to focus on the best SP experience.

Perhaps it's a more subtle integration of MP, like Soulsborne games. But yeah, I'd love to see an E3 reveal.

Yeah that would be insane. Did CDPR tease anything about Witcher 3 before they showed it at Microsoft's E3 show?

We just don't know how far along the game is, so for all we know it's a 2019 title. However it has been quite a few years since they released that trailer.

boskee

Yeah... I got a little worried when I saw the MP part too... One of the biggest reasons I paid attention to Witcher at first (I had never heard of it) was when I saw an article saying how they were not going to do MP cause they wanted to focus on the best SP experience.

Right off the bat they said that Cyberpunk 2077 will contain multiplayer "elements" and not a full blown multiplayer. Seamless multiplayer suggests to me something similar to Watch Dogs 2, but who knows.

jxN3

Damn.. can you imagine if these games hit in 2019...

The Last of Us 2
Death Stranding
Cyberpunk 2077

Tigress

Right off the bat they said that Cyberpunk 2077 will contain multiplayer "elements" and not a full blown multiplayer. Seamless multiplayer suggests to me something similar to Watch Dogs 2, but who knows.

Well long as I can turn it off and they don't gate off things for MP only (Unless it is something that obviously will not work for SP. I mean for example GTA online has some stuff now in its online world that could be played and had fun by oneself but they gate it off by requiring you be in a populated world for it. And I mean, fine, for that it is supposed to be an MP game. But I'd be upset if I were buying an SP game that they gate off stuff that could be just as fun on your own and require you use MP to enjoy it). I don't particularly want to deal with people invading my world or having to deal with playing with others.

dr_rus

Seems about right. 1Q19 would be ~7 years since announcement, ~4 years since TW3 release, ~3 years since B&W release meaning that the game would be in full production for about 3-4 years by that time.

Keep in mind that they're going to release 4 games by 2021. We only know of 2 so far: Gwent and Cyberpunk 2077. There will be 2 more: one smaller (like Gwent), and one AAA title. They need enough time to build all those titles.

That other AAA title! I wonder if it's another game set in the Witcherverse. I wouldn't mind going back, even if there's no Geralt.

faridmon

Man, I have feeling they looked at the games released so far such as Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect and they are licking their lips one upping them massively.

Kumquat

Man, I have feeling they looked at the games released so far such as Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect and they are licking their lips one upping them massively.

I see it as the Polish equilvalent of a Texan going, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

boskee

It's also important to note, that all of the people they're looking for are contractors, and not full time employees. It's not known whether or not it's the requirement of the grant, but that seems likely. Any potential contractor will be scored, and the one offering the cheapest services, while matching all the requirements, will be chosen.

DemWalls

Was wondering, are CDPR games made on a "Polish" budget, or does all the talent on their team get western wages?

I remember some (not too positive) reviews on Glassdoor mentioning salaries more or less in line with the Polish standard for locals, and higher for foreign employees. Anyway, there aren't that many non-Polish developers, so...

TW 3 was certainly less expensive than it would have been if it were made, say, in Canada.

Yeah that would be insane. Did CDPR tease anything about Witcher 3 before they showed it at Microsoft's E3 show?

There was a pretty big cover story on Game Informer. Still remember as if it was yesterday, February 5th, 2013. The hype.

(I feel old)

Rhoc

I hope it's still a single-player experience and not mixed with multiplayer elements. Maybe they go the Gta V route and you have 2 different characters.

I remember some (not too positive) reviews on Glassdoor mentioning salaries more or less in line with the Polish standard for locals, and higher for foreign employees. Anyway, there aren't that many non-Polish developers, so...

TW 3 was certainly less expensive than it would have been if it were made, say, in Canada.

There was a pretty big cover story on Game Informer. Still remember as if it was yesterday, February 5th, 2013. The hype.

(I feel old)

Ah yes, nah I meant more like if they tweeted something about being there at Microsoft's show before it happened. Because if they did, they could do that again this time. Not getting my hopes up but a first look would be awesome. The thought of a rich detailed world like Witcher 3 but then in sci fi is mouth watering, hahaha.

Tyaren

Seems to be rather the EU than the Polish government that is funding CD Projekt Red, if you look at the attached documents and other online articles.
Either way, a very good decision. :)

DemWalls

Ah yes, nah I meant more like if they tweeted something about being there at Microsoft's show before it happened. Because if they did, they could do that again this time. Not getting my hopes up but a first look would be awesome. The thought of a rich detailed world like Witcher 3 but then in sci fi is mouth watering, hahaha.

Oh, my bad. They did tease something if I'm not mistaken, but it was, like, the evening before the conference. So, yeah, they might as well have avoided that and let the debut surprise us.

Shredderi

The thing I love about CDPR is that they seem HUNGRY. They pushed standards forward with TW3 but they're not stopping there. They still got that light in their eyes that wants to do it for the sake of wanting to be really fucking good. I love that.

boskee

Anyway, there aren't that many non-Polish developers, so...

I believe either 1/3 or 1/4 of their employees are now foreign.

Seems to be rather the EU than the Polish government that is funding CD Projekt Red, if you look at the attached documents and other online articles.
Either way, a very good decision. :)

EU pays for it, but Polish government had to create the fund and distribute EU funds to game devs.

Charamiwa

Banned
This game reminds me of how I play Game Dev Tycoon. I create a new engine just for one game, hire new people, go all out on the scope and the budget, and take like 5 in game years without doing anything else. In Dev Game Tycoon it usually kills my company though.

boskee

This game reminds me of how I play Game Dev Tycoon. I create a new engine just for one game, hire new people, go all out on the scope and the budget, and take like 5 in game years without doing anything else. In Dev Game Tycoon it usually kills my company though.

Except they have Gwent in the making and GOG so it's not exactly "doing nothing else" in their case.

Oh, my bad. They did tease something if I'm not mistaken, but it was, like, the evening before the conference. So, yeah, they might as well have avoided that and let the debut surprise us.

It would make this upcoming E3 absolutely brilliant if that were to happen. Dying to see this game after that trailer released quite a while ago now.

pablito

Huh?

Continuously updated TW3 for 2 years, running GOG, Gwent, and Blood and Wine. B&W is a significant addition to TW3. That is hardly not doing anything else.

Charamiwa

Banned
Except they have Gwent in the making and GOG so it's not exactly "doing nothing else" in their case.

Huh?

Continuously updated TW3 for 2 years, running GOG, Gwent, and Blood and Wine. B&W is a significant addition to TW3. That is hardly not doing anything else.

lol that wasn't a commentary on the current situation or anything. They're just going all out and taking their time, which reminded me of how I play a game about creating games. Not supposed to be 100% accurate.

thelastword

Banned
Mass-Effect-Andromeda-GIF-3.gif
Man, this gif will have some mileage I'm assuming. Animation was definitely not Witcher 3's strong suit.....So they definitely need to focus on that aspect for future projects.

Out of their four projects, I suspect Gwent is one and the other two are minor projects like Gwent alongside their triple AAA Cyberpunk game. The big Question is if their main actually lands in 2019, they're a studio who has always had issues with keeping a schedule and their games have always been really buggy on release...So I hope they can turn that over....

I still believe it's a bad decision to not have ported the Witcher 3 and it's DLC to the newer more powerful consoles, but perhaps that's one of their side projects for Scorpio's release....2019 seems a long way for the studio and if Cyberpunk does not fare well as Witcher critically or sales wise, this studio could run into some trouble...

boskee

Man, this gif will have some mileage I'm assuming. Animation was definitely not Witcher 3's strong suit.....So they definitely need to focus on that aspect for future projects.

Out of their four projects, I suspect Gwent is one and the other two are minor projects like Gwent alongside their triple AAA Cyberpunk game. The big Question is if their main actually lands in 2019, they're a studio who has always had issues with keeping a schedule and their games have always been really buggy on release...So I hope they can turn that over....

The order of release is as follows

- minor game (Gwent) - 2017
- major game (Cyberpunk 2077) - 2018-?
- the other two games - one minor (like Gwent) and one major (like Cyberpunk), we don't know in which order

boskee always brings the CDP goods.
Thanks for all the info!

Its was agood enough for an RPG of that size and characters were not dead in the eyes (and Ive ecplained a lot of times thats isnt only animation fault but also the weird sims 2 era iris the characters have). Thats is the problem people are having, the animations (and some design choices) in Mass Effect Andromeda doesnt cut it in a small game, big game, or anything that wants to be released and bought. Its not professional (time problem or the people doing the work not good enough, will never know).
If Cyberpunk has the animations Witcher 3 had, I would be happy. Im still amazingly happy though that they want to push the envelope and make them even better though.

Braag

They've been hiring a lot of people for while now. I wonder how large they will be in a year or two.
It's crazy how much they have grown since TW1.

Ha! No problem. I wish I could post other things, but then they'd send assassins after me, so I will just stick to posting publicly known things.

You are doing a good work already, not need for any confidential info that could risk your job or anyone around you
This are the things that i sually love from this community :D

Top Bottom