• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cerberus Daily News going offline - future ME2 DLC pack re-confirmed

epmode

zam said:
And put me in the (apparently tiny) camp that thinks ME2 is better than ME1.
Vocal minority. Mass Effect 2 is a better *executed* game than 1 in almost every way.

ME1 was more promising but the lousy implementation of nearly everything it tried to do means ME2 >>>>> 1

Now if they can make a sequel that actually lives up to what 1 wanted to be, it would be the best game ever but I doubt Bioware has it in them. In the meantime, at least we'll get another rad action game.

Mr_Elysia

Haha. Good point Zam. Was certainly surprising if nothing else.

Agreed ep. It is the thought of Mass Effect that I love.

duckroll

Wait, if CDN is going offline, does that mean the PS3 players won't have random news updates on their Ceberus laptop screen every day?

zam

epmode said:
Vocal minority. Mass Effect 2 is a better *executed* game than 1 in almost every way.

ME1 was more promising but the lousy implementation of nearly everything it tried to do means ME2 >>>>> 1

Now if they can make a sequel that actually lives up to what 1 wanted to be, it would be the best game ever but I doubt Bioware has it in them. In the meantime, at least we'll get another rad action game.
Might be they are a vocal minority but it seems in every thread where Mass Effect is mentioned, the majority of gaf say ME1 is better than ME2. Which is fine, different strokes and what not, but replaying ME1 is just reinforcing for me how much more I liked ME2.

I am interested to find out what the next ME2 DLC will be, I honestly can't think of where they can take us. Shadow Broker was a pretty obvious choice since the Shadow Broker has been mentioned a lot in both games, but never seen or directly dealt with. Really hoping the next DLC bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3.

Stumpokapow said:
With all due respect to the talented workers at BioWare, Ceberus Daily News was a useless waste of time and the time spent connecting to whatever authentication servers ME2 connected to caused an annoying pause on game boot. Totally awful implementation.

If there's enthusiasm for ongoing galactic lore, build it into the game this time. The main menu should be svelte and quick to use.
Completely agree. Hated the several second pause for the game to boot up Cerberus News before I could start the game. Either make it so the game loads instantly and you can start the game and then people who want to read the news can wait for that to load, or better yet, integrate it into the game as news broadcasts you hear when walking around any of the hubs.

duckroll said:
Wait, if CDN is going offline, does that mean the PS3 players won't have random news updates on their Ceberus laptop screen every day?
Maybe they will just post the backlog of all the old CDN updates on the PS3 version..

IoCaster

duckroll said:

That seems to be the case unless they somehow target the PS3 specifically for new CDN updates and that doesn't make much sense. They could possibly recycle the archives for PS3 players but that makes even less sense since those news stories are available online for anyone interested in them. *shrug*

IoCaster

zam said:
Might be they are a vocal minority but it seems in every thread where Mass Effect is mentioned, the majority of gaf say ME1 is better than ME2. Which is fine, different strokes and what not, but replaying ME1 is just reinforcing for me how much more I liked ME2.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of players prefer ME2. It's probably that those that prefer ME are drawn to these threads more often. I personally think that ME2 has better gameplay than ME. I do think that ME is the better overall experience and I prefer it to ME2.

My main problem with ME2 is that while I think it's an awesome game in it's own right it disappointed me as a sequel. It definitely wasn't the sequel I was expecting and I felt let down by the perceived lack of progression in the overarching story/plot set in motion in ME.

Unregistered007 said:
all of the DLC for ME2 SUCKED ASS other than "Lair of Shadow Broker".
X8f3Q.gif

Throw that last DLC on a disc with all the other DLC, just like you did with the complete Dragon Age collection, and I will double dip, Bioware.

Draft

ME1 has a better story and better music. ME2 beats it in every other aspect.

But I guess you could argue that story and music are like 2 of the most important things in a RPG, even an RPG that's basically Gears of War with stat distribution. :lol

zam

Draft said:
ME1 has a better story and better music. ME2 beats it in every other aspect.

But I guess you could argue that story and music are like 2 of the most important things in a RPG, even an RPG that's basically Gears of War with stat distribution. :lol
Well I really liked the story in ME2, I also really liked the story in ME1. If I had to choose I would say I liked the story in ME1 more, but but a tiny margin. I also really liked the
suicide
mission and the implications that meant.

As a whole package, I vastly preferred ME2. The story (in my opinion) may be a bit better in ME1, but all the improvements in ME2 made it a much better game. A (slightly) better story doesn't really help when I have to sit through annoying as hell Mako segments or crawl through identical pre-fab dungeons (in the sidequests) to get to that story.

Also the previous comment about ME2 mission structure ("GET QUEST -> GO TO HALLWAY -> SHOOT OUT IN HALLWAY -> QUEST COMPLETE"), I've only picked up Liara so far (after doing lots of side-quests on The Citadel) and it has been a couple years since my last playthrough of ME1, but the Liara mission was literally: Mako-segment, shoot some geth, talk to trapped Liara, shoot a couple more Geth, activate a laser (by hitting a button the aforementioned geth were standing around), talk to Liara, fight one krogan and 4 geth, mission done. In fact, if I recall correctly, every main-story mission has a big Mako segment, seriously, fuck that shit.

A lot of Mass Effect missions is a lot of shooting, yes. Is it a bad thing? I don't think so, I like rpgs and I like shooters. The story in the loyalty missions is awesome, and while I wish there were less shooty ones and more that were like Samara's loyalty quest or the first half of Kasumi's, I thought the story in almost all the loyalty missions were far above most of ME1.

The music, eh. I get that a lot of people really like the ME music, but to me the music did it's job and did it well, in both games. I never thought "wow the music in ME1 was a lot better" when I was playing ME2, nor am I thinking that the music is much better now that I am replaying ME1.

Also calling Mass Effect "Gears of War with stat distribution" is pretty exaggerating, but I get that you are being facetious and intentionally reductive.

Ok after reading through my post I just realized this thread has been de-railed into a "ME1 vs ME2" discussion. Let's talk about what the coming DLC instead, right now I'm speculating/hoping it has something to do with Wrex. Would love to team up with him again, by far my favorite companion in ME1, and seeing as the last DLC was with Liara, I hope this one has Wrex in it somehow.

Lyphen said:
Oh jeez, that laptop was actually being updated all this time? I never read it.
My first playthrough of ME2 was on a copy of the game I borrowed from a friend, so I didn't have the cerberus network code (or Zaeed or Normandy Crashsite) and therefore never saw any Cerberus News. It wasn't until November that I got my own copy of the game to play through again that I noticed there were news updates.

With regard to the identity of the Shadow Broker:

I read what I thought was a spoiler (someone was just joking) that Conrad Verner, A.K.A. Shepard super-fan from the first game, was actually the shadow broker, and I thought that was awesome! Too bad it wasn't actually the case....

TheUsual

Gold Member
Blast Processing said:
With regard to the identity of the Shadow Broker:

I read what I thought was a spoiler (someone was just joking) that Conrad Verner, A.K.A. Shepard super-fan from the first game, was actually the shadow broker, and I thought that was awesome! Too bad it wasn't actually the case....

If only that was true...

Mr_Elysia

The point that Zam made about the one we encountered
not always being the broker is just enough to maintain my dream of Barla Von
. Thank you Zam. :')

Mrbob

AzureNightmare said:
:lol :lol :lol oh sorry...you're being serious...I just...:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Not sure why you are laughing at him I just finished the Kasumi DLC and it is hot garbage. The infiltration setup sucked and then it become a lame single corridor shooter. How stupid is Hock to just stand there while I run around in front of him getting everything I need to break in? I think I finished it in about an hour as well. Kasumi is a cool character and I'm glad to have her in my crew but if I had spent more than 200 points for this I'd be really mad. Even with Dragon Age most of Bioware's DLC is sub par. I don't understand it. They give us a huge bang for the buck quality game. Then when it comes to extra content in which the value proposition to the total package isn't as high it is sub par. I heard Shadow Broker is supposed to be really good and I'm going to hit that up soon.

Bioware better step up their post game content offerings in Mass 3 and Dragon Age 2.

Mr_Elysia said:
Lair of The Shadow Broker spoilers.

Severely disappointing. Was hoping for Barla Von or Barla Von-type, the most interesting character we've yet seen. Thought that was why they completely disregarded him in the main game.

As we all know, Expat the volus merchant was the TRUE shadowbroker, pulling the strings behind the monster and its predecessor. I look forward to him showing Liara what's what in ME3.

Most excellent.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr_Elysia said:
Lair of The Shadow Broker spoilers.

Severely disappointing. Was hoping for Barla Von or Barla Von-type, the most interesting character we've yet seen. Thought that was why they completely disregarded him in the main game.

I liked it, simply because they didnt make the character
human or a robot
, which I expected BioWare to do.

Mr_Elysia

EatChildren said:
I liked it, simply because they didnt make the character
human or a robot
, which I expected BioWare to do.

I think I'm being a bit negative and hyperbolic. I'm fine with them
introducing a new race or introducing whomever or whichever as The Shadow Broker
. I guess I was just hoping there'd be a bit more shadow and a bit less breaking.

Top Bottom