• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Definitely attractive price points, but I'm waiting to hear what the downside is to get them to that price point (if any, but I'm guessing there's at least a few).

I thought I heard that they are running Intel processors which aren't compatible with a lot for Android apps (like games). Also curious about battery life and overall quality of the phone.

Its not the issue that it used to be. Android solves a lot of these problems with its "recompilation" of apps with the new VM ART. Most game engines like Unity and UE already have the bits necessary to handle x86 based embedding to make this a non-issue. So while there are some issues when the x86 will still have to flip to binary translation, that is becoming less and less of an issue (i.e. its almost not an issue today).

FtsH

Is is basically a huge Android phone on the wall? I haven't been following the trend very well recently...

Loofy

Ok Im gonna stop buying blu rays. This HDR stuff is getting me hyped lol. Though I have no clue what it is.

omg, UE MEGABOOM

<3 my UE BOOMs, can't wait to read the reviews on this and be jealous

VS5ZJ2B.jpg

You see these things pop up everywhere these days. Standing in line for a rollercoaster? Selfie time. Eating dinner at a restaurant? Selfie time.

I'm just sad I didn't come up with it. Such simple ideas. And people want it.

It's not a new concept at all. They were around in 1980s Japan.

lynux3

Sony and cars...

It begins...

Well, Sony has been an established brand in cars since at least 2007 and I don't mean after market speakers/decks. Ford for example, has been putting Sony stereos/speakers in their mid to high end cars/trucks.

J-Rzez

LG ahead of the pack by a long shot. No one else even showed any OLEDs

What do you mean? Did you not see samsung's supposed q-dot tech that was done years ago by Sony? Or listen when they said their new TVs will get even brighter so they stand out more in stores?

Seriously, I can not imagine their TVs getting even brighter. Staring at an eclipse, or welding without a mask or glasses will be safer.

LeleSocho

Banned

To each his own, for now i wouldn't touch an OLED panel with a ten feet pole and i'm actually happy that every manufacturer hasn't gone on the full OLED craze like it was hinted before CES started.

---

Surprised by the lack of announcement of the Xperia Z4 by Sony... i held the Z3 for the first time a couple of days ago and found it absolutely stunning.
And what about that UX Life projector thingy they announced last year? i would like to see a more refined (and/or cheaper) version of it...
New lighter and smaller 4K Handycam was cool but the rest was kinda meh...

lynux3

Because OLED isn't worth investing in... yet. LCD has come a long way. Speaking of LG's OLED, I saw one at Best Buy and I was not impressed. The image was jagged as hell. Not sure if the thing was calibrated correctly or not, but it looked like a joke compared to Sony/Samsung's better LCD screens. The only thing that stood out was the blacks.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You guys were fooling yourselves if you thought the Z4 was coming out during CES - matter of fact, CES hasn't been popular for the past couple of years.

MWC next month is when all relevant mobile devices show up.

Because OLED isn't worth investing in... yet. LCD has come a long way. Speaking of LG's OLED, I saw one at Best Buy and I was not impressed. The image was jagged as hell. Not sure if the thing was calibrated correctly or not, but it looked like a joke compared to Sony/Samsung's better LCD screens. The only thing that stood out was the blacks.

so you think the jagged image was due to the tv and not the content/playback?

x3sphere

I would blame the lower screen resolution, and of course if you are in a store viewing TVs closer than you normally would a 1080p image is going to look rough compared to 4K.

Raistlin

What do you mean? Did you not see samsung's supposed q-dot tech that was done years ago by Sony? Or listen when they said their new TVs will get even brighter so they stand out more in stores?

Seriously, I can not imagine their TVs getting even brighter. Staring at an eclipse, or welding without a mask or glasses will be safer.
lol ... HDR isn't about just making things 'even brighter' or so they 'stand out more in stores'

Might want to look up info from last year's CES and how Dolby Vision was received.

Raistlin

The content was coming right out of an LG blu-ray player with LG demo. Maybe they dropped the ball on their demonstration video.

I don't know wtf they do to the 9300's at Best Buy, but you're right ... they literally look terrible.

J-Rzez

lol ... HDR isn't about just making things 'even brighter' or so they 'stand out more in stores'

Might want to look up info from last year's CES and how Dolby Vision was received.

All I read in the hands ons were that those new sets are disgustingly bright, nothing mentioned of HDR and the sorts. Considering it was "bright" and "samsung" in the same paragraph, I naturally assumed it was that they implemented a new mode to boost their brightness to new levels.

As far as the demos at Best Buys for that 9300, that content is complete trash on them. I swapped in a flash drive quick and noticed an immediate difference due to the content.

Can't wait to see the new TVs though. For me personally it was:
1. LG 9300
2. Sony X900/950B
3. Samsung 8550

Loofy

So how does this CES thing work, are all the announcements today?

Im most interested in any new projector technologies. An under $3K laser projector would be nice to see too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom