• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES: Xbox 360 Game Room

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well, my two cents is, this new service looks extremely cool but...and this is a big but....they need, NEED to add late 80's/early 90's Japanese 2D games! This is a fucking must! I'm talking ALL the Capcom beat'em ups.... The Punisher, Aliens VS Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, D&D Shadow Over Mystaria, etc. Plus they need all the vertical shmups they can get their hands on.....all the Raidens, Aero Fighters, Giga Wing, 19XX, Macross Plus, Nebulasray, Blazing Star, etc.

These are the types of games people who loved going to the arcade wants to play. Not some fucking shitty classic like Asteroids Deluxe. GTFO with those nasty American developed 2D retro titles and bring on the Japanese 2D early 90's classics. If they heed my suggestion and put those types of games in the game room, then I am on board and will be there day fucking one.

Rlan

I took a good look over the different videos of Game Room that popped up here and there, and I found some fairly interesting things:

The Classic Mode: Classic Mode allows you to play the game anyway you want. You can choose to save and load a game at any time, and in the case of Arcade games (and probably Atari games in terms of "modes") you can change the DIP switches on the Arcade board. This version of the game has no ranking on the Leaderboards.

Hopefully in the long terms this would allow classic games which had cheat codes like say, Sonic 1 on the Megadrive, to have complete freedom in this regard. This way you can turn on all cheats or basically do whatever you want to the game.

The Ranked Mode: This is where Leaderboards and Challenges come into play. In this mode the game will count down from three, and then you start playing the game. The game will then keep track of your score and once you're dead or done will post your score. While this will be a little weird for games that don't really include a score, if they end up moving into the 80's and 90's like MegaDrive, TurbografX and so forth, it'll give a more "classic" experience of not having a save system.

From here you can then send challenges to your friends, much like Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. While not announced, integration of this feature with the new Facebook and Twitter applications is absolutely essential, and would be perfect for this "social" experience. It's be stupid if this wasn't the case.

Achievements: While each game does not have their own achievements, the Room itself does. In the Inside Xbox video of Game Room in action they accidentally reveal two of them - one for sending your first challenge, and one for receiving your first medal.

More plus a rant here:

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/01/n...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gamerbytes+(GamerBytes)

CoG

I guess I am the target audience for this being I grew up in 80's arcades, but I have no interest in this, at all. This games are great for the nostalgia factor, problem is the nostalgia wears off in minutes.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
isamu said:
Well, my two cents is, this new service looks extremely cool but...and this is a big but....they need, NEED to add late 80's/early 90's Japanese 2D games! This is a fucking must! I'm talking ALL the Capcom beat'em ups.... The Punisher, Aliens VS Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, D&D Shadow Over Mystaria, etc. Plus they need all the vertical shmups they can get their hands on.....all the Raidens, Aero Fighters, Giga Wing, 19XX, Macross Plus, Nebulasray, Blazing Star, etc.

These are the types of games people who loved going to the arcade wants to play. Not some fucking shitty classic like Asteroids Deluxe. GTFO with those nasty American developed 2D retro titles and bring on the Japanese 2D early 90's classics. If they heed my suggestion and put those types of games in the game room, then I am on board and will be there day fucking one.
They did promise 1000 games in a few years, so they have to cut deals with other companies soon...

Somnid

twinturbo2 said:
They did promise 1000 games in a few years, so they have to cut deals with other companies soon...

To be honest, 1000 probably won't happen at least not by the time 360 leaves the market. VC has pretty much everything they could hope to get and even Japan hasn't cracked 600 quite yet, nor has Gametap's retro selection. They'd have to at least add MS-DOS / Windows support and even then it's an extreme uphill battle.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Somnid said:
To be honest, 1000 probably won't happen at least not by the time 360 leaves the market. VC has pretty much everything they could hope to get and even Japan hasn't cracked 600 quite yet, nor has Gametap's retro selection. They'd have to at least add MS-DOS / Windows support and even then it's an extreme uphill battle.
I think they can hit it in 2-3 years. Will the 360 leave the market by then? Probably, we'll see.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now that I think of it, this could be a big boon for the Build Your Own Arcade Controls crowd. It would be awesome if you could build an arcade cabinet, with real arcade controls, and play games without having to worry about system requirements or questionable legality.

I think I found the Game Room's niche. :D

Agent X

Gold Member
Somnid said:
First off I don't think this will "beat" VC prices. If VC started in the 70s era they would probably start around $3 going by current pricing. That number is flat across system because they are from a very similar generation, I'd be willing to bet if MS expanded into the 80s or 90s there would be a price jump.

Well, we really don't know what the 70s or early 80s games would cost on Virtual Console, because they haven't tried yet. I've wondered why we don't have any games from that period on VC, at least Atari 2600 as that was a very popular system for several years. I don't know if this is because Nintendo doesn't want Atari 2600 games to have a presence on VC, or if companies like Atari and Activision (who has a sizable 2600 game library, over 40 games) don't want to get involved with VC.

Regardless of who's at fault, it's regrettable that VC has existed for over three years on this generation's most popular home video game console without the presence of the 2600, yet Microsoft is able to waltz in with a new classic game service and gain support from Atari on Day One, with Activision already waiting in the wings. I'd say it's high time Nintendo and Atari sat down at the negotiating table (Sony and Atari, too).

I'm interested in seeing how they start pricing late 80's/early 90s games on Game Room, whenever they start offering them. If they are priced lower than VC games, then would Nintendo consider reducing their prices to stay competitive? I know I got Gunstar Heroes for PS3 with online play for $3 less than I would've paid for an offline-only version on GC, so a precedent's already been set.

Somnid said:
The flat-rate is mostly because there's no way to setup variable pricing. All the games started at the same price for the most part (actually VC isn't totally flat Japan still pays the Japanese RPG tax which is supposedly for content but mostly a bullshit cultural thing) but how can you seperate them? Collector's value is a rather worthless metric for selling these because it's due to a number of factors including the original print run. Should a popular game be expensive or a game that's hard to find be expensive? Should games that had a lot of re-releases be cheaper (Sonic)?

Those are good questions. How do companies determine pricing for downloadable games that aren't (mostly) unaltered ROM dumps?

Somnid said:
It just makes more sense to pretend that doesn't exist. Poor games will sell less and good game will sell more, you license by groups of games and not by individual titles. Maybe after the market settles you can re-examine the pricing and try to mine more money out of the less-than-stellar ones but not right off the bat.

The existence of a flat rate might have been acceptable in 2006 and early 2007, when the systems were still new and had relatively small downloadable game libraries. Nearly every XBLA/PSN game was selling for $10 at that time, with only a handful dipping lower. Now the pricing is all over the place, because there are hundreds of games out there that you have to compete with. XBLA is like this, PSN is like this, and even WiiWare is like this. Wii Virtual Console is the only downloadable game library where pricing is solely dictated by "platform of origin" and (with only one exception, the recent Sega sale) doesn't allow the publisher the flexibility to raise or lower the price to account for greater or lesser demand.

Somnid said:
It's true some games get de-valued because they've been packaged in numerous retro compilations and end up in the bargain bin (which certainly makes Atari 2600 games hard to swallow since you can buy a whole set on Steam for $5) but you have to make that call for yourself. I think it's less that they are overpriced but rather the games in the compilations were undervalued to meet price standards for retail games. It's actually very hard to beat VC prices with physical media and if you did you have to factor in it will always be used and come with no warranty.

It really doesn't matter if the classic game compilation discs were "undervalued". They've been widely available for years. In the PS1/Saturn days, it was usually 5 or 6 games on a disc for $50-$60--and that was a considered good deal at the time, when classic game emulation was new. However, as the years passed, and competition increased, the prices have fallen, while the number of games packed on a disc has risen. People just aren't willing to pay $60 for 6 games now, and they probably aren't willing to pay $10 for a single one of those games.

Keep in mind that there are other outlets for getting games. Let's not get caught up in thinking of "retro games", but simply think of them as "small downloadable games". There are loads of Breakout and Space Invaders and Pac-Man clones out there, for devices ranging from computers to cell phones. There are loads of original games as well. Look at the rapidly rising popularity of the iPhone and iPod Touch. You can't ignore the elephant in the room any longer.

Maybe there's something about buying the "original" Breakout or the "original" Asteroids that tickles the nostalgia bone, and might command a premium over some 30-years-later derivative...or maybe people who recognize those games already played them to death years ago, perhaps already own them (either the original game, or an emulated version in a compilation), and don't feel like buying them yet again for the umpteenth time for $3 or $5 a piece when they can get some hot new indie iPhone game for half the price.

The flat rate might be a necessary evil for launching a new service, but it cannot last long in light of larger competition. I don't believe Microsoft will adhere to that throughout Game Room's long-term existence (though I'd be surprised if they do), and after three long years I don't think Nintendo should adhere to it any longer.

Somnid

Agent X said:
Well, we really don't know what the 70s or early 80s games would cost on Virtual Console, because they haven't tried yet. I've wondered why we don't have any games from that period on VC, at least Atari 2600 as that was a very popular system for several years. I don't know if this is because Nintendo doesn't want Atari 2600 games to have a presence on VC, or if companies like Atari and Activision (who has a sizable 2600 game library, over 40 games) don't want to get involved with VC.

Regardless of who's at fault, it's regrettable that VC has existed for over three years on this generation's most popular home video game console without the presence of the 2600, yet Microsoft is able to waltz in with a new classic game service and gain support from Atari on Day One, with Activision already waiting in the wings. I'd say it's high time Nintendo and Atari sat down at the negotiating table (Sony and Atari, too).

I'm interested in seeing how they start pricing late 80's/early 90s games on Game Room, whenever they start offering them. If they are priced lower than VC games, then would Nintendo consider reducing their prices to stay competitive? I know I got Gunstar Heroes for PS3 with online play for $3 less than I would've paid for an offline-only version on GC, so a precedent's already been set.

I agree. I was really surprised not to see some of these on VC especially when they've been on Gametap and especially when they do have at least one western console in the Commodore 64. It's baffling why this hasn't happened. Then again at the time they seemed interested in compilations so maybe they thought a stand-alone market wasn't viable, and to that defense it still may not be.

Agent X said:
The existence of a flat rate might have been acceptable in 2006 and early 2007, when the systems were still new and had relatively small downloadable game libraries. Nearly every XBLA/PSN game was selling for $10 at that time, with only a handful dipping lower. Now the pricing is all over the place, because there are hundreds of games out there that you have to compete with. XBLA is like this, PSN is like this, and even WiiWare is like this. Wii Virtual Console is the only downloadable game library where pricing is solely dictated by "platform of origin" and (with only one exception, the recent Sega sale) doesn't allow the publisher the flexibility to raise or lower the price to account for greater or lesser demand.

I can only think of a few services similar to VC. Gametap which uses a subscription, GOG which is PC-centric and Playstation Classics. GOG and Playstation Classics both use tiered pricing like VC, Gametap is subscription based. New games factor in a little differently.

Agent X said:
Keep in mind that there are other outlets for getting games. Let's not get caught up in thinking of "retro games", but simply think of them as "small downloadable games". There are loads of Breakout and Space Invaders and Pac-Man clones out there, for devices ranging from computers to cell phones. There are loads of original games as well. Look at the rapidly rising popularity of the iPhone and iPod Touch. You can't ignore the elephant in the room any longer.

If we do treat them the same a "small downloadable games" then it doesn't matter what their origin is, or how many times they've been released or what their previous value was, instead we'd price them all at a similar level to each other because they have a lot of similarities in content. On a quality level they tend to be better than most new games due to previously having much larger budgets and more recognition so we'd price them higher than new games. Final Fantasy 7 sells for $10, but had a huge budget at release, any new game at $10 could never hope to match it. The only deterrent for me not to buy it over anything PSN has to offer is that I might already have played it. This is one reason why I don't like the way XBLA mixes games because this effect isn't accounted for they are priced the same even though I'm probably getting less for my money buying something new.

You can think of flat-pricing the same way retail games sell. They all cost the same on the same platform, some have much higher budgets and they will likely sell more. It averages out in the end, you pay a little more for some and get good deals on others. On the high end, Activison could have made every version of Modern Warfare 2 a collector's bundle and made a hell of a lot of money, but that wouldn't be fair to consumers and the benefit of pricing tiers is that doesn't happen. On the low end, You can drop the price if the game doesn't sell so well but the benefit of DD is that you don't need to have a loss-eating clearance.

Rlan

Again, this is straight up new emulation - they're not using the same Asteroids that has been ported elsewhere, and if Pac Man was to come out again it'd be an entirely new emulation.

Nowadays emulating Atari is a piece of cake, and once you emulate one game you'll have very few problems emulating the rest of them. When it comes to the 80's and 90's you've got all these different boards - the CPS System I, I', II, III, Sega System 16, Y, X, 18, 24, Model 1, 2, Naomi, Naomi 2, the list goes on. Takes a lot longer to test too.

isamu said:

Speak for yourself.

Agent X

Gold Member
Somnid said:
If we do treat them the same a "small downloadable games" then it doesn't matter what their origin is, or how many times they've been released or what their previous value was, instead we'd price them all at a similar level to each other because they have a lot of similarities in content.

That's the point. They're not similar in content.

Urban Champion isn't comparable to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Bonanza Bros. isn't comparable to Gunstar Heroes.

China Warrior isn't comparable to Ninja Spirit.

Blue's Journey isn't comparable to Metal Slug.

Yet, the games are priced equally because they just happen to have originated on the same platform. There's no accounting for the popularity, appeal, or critical reception of the game. You, personally, might think Bonanza Bros. or Blue's Journey are spectacular games in your opinion, but I'm willing to bet that more people would go for Gunstar Heroes or Metal Slug for the same price. Games that have (at best) niche appeal should have their prices adjusted accordingly, not forced to have their prices fixed equal to other games on the service only (and I emphasize only) because they debuted on some obsolete console from two or three decades back.

AzBat

Hopefully they will learn quickly to sell packs of games from the same developer. I'd rather do that since it will feel like a bigger bang for my buck. Plus it would help to quickly stock my game room of arcade cabinets. At one at a time, I'd never get it filled since I'm not going to buying arcade games that I don't like.

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of in-depth discussion this is generating, even for GAF.

Really interested to see what this thing is going to turn out like, and how popular it will or won't be.

Somnid

Agent X said:
That's the point. They're not similar in content.

Urban Champion isn't comparable to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Bonanza Bros. isn't comparable to Gunstar Heroes.

China Warrior isn't comparable to Ninja Spirit.

Blue's Journey isn't comparable to Metal Slug.

Yet, the games are priced equally because they just happen to have originated on the same platform. There's no accounting for the popularity, appeal, or critical reception of the game. You, personally, might think Bonanza Bros. or Blue's Journey are spectacular games in your opinion, but I'm willing to bet that more people would go for Gunstar Heroes or Metal Slug for the same price. Games that have (at best) niche appeal should have their prices adjusted accordingly, not forced to have their prices fixed equal to other games on the service only (and I emphasize only) because they debuted on some obsolete console from two or three decades back.

But that's kinda the problem, which is worth more: Gunstar Heros or Sonic 2? I can tell you which will sell more (even at a higher price) and which should cost more but that's two completely different things. I could also ask why shouldn't Square charge $15 for Final Fantasy III just because they can? It's not like it wouldn't sell. If NeoGeo games were priced at $4 because they don't sell as much as SNES games (which is true) does that mean they are worse, have less content or that SNES games are overpriced? The problem is you're looking for something objective where there is none. Keep in mind launching at a lower price doesn't guarantee more revenue as your income per unit decreases even if you do sell more. That's why you have a specific starting point.

Hi2u

Banned
Why isn't game room getting updated no more? Wasn't their plan to add game packs every few weeks?

I'd love to play bomb jack and ghouls and ghosts

Why isn't game room getting updated no more? Wasn't their plan to add game packs every few weeks?

I guess you didn't get the message. Game Room has been taken out in the back and shot in the head.

Booshka

I guess you didn't get the message. Game Room has been taken out in the back and shot in the head.

gersthead.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The company making Game Room (Krome) sort of went under. In addition, Microsoft obviously wasn't making good bank with the service, since they didn't make any effort to keep it alive.

Tobor

A confusing and overly complicated interface, a bizarre purchase scheme, and a terrible controller for those types of games.

The trifecta of fail.

I'm only sad I wasted some space bucks on that turd.

Somnid

I never had high hopes but this crashed and burned ridiculously quick, and it's really quite sad. This thread was a blast from the past but upon checking the date it's really only 2 years old?

1000 games in a few years, yeah.

Frankfurt

Banned
so much potential down the drain.

Yep.

They made it a lot more messy than it should've been. Buying the games in packs, having to go visit other people's arcades, shit was a mess. It should've been "pay 80msp and play any game you want once in this massive arcade along with everybody else". Or something like that. Obviously, no dev would go along with so little money.

Gaspode_T

Wounds...they are opening up again...

Microsoft obviously wasn't making good bank

This statement is basically not true :p Game Room is still in top sales lists even this year when it's not being updated at all.

The fact that the link to the marketplace was removed when the dash updated should be a sign of what the support level is though. They could have included it there with whatever stores are listed on the far right of the dash.

I have had a LOT of fun with Game Room. The high score lists are also dominated by some really really talented Japanese gamers. One of my friends has so many games she ran out of space to put them in her Game Room arcade (she must have spent like $200 on it)

GhaleonEB

A confusing and overly complicated interface, a bizarre purchase scheme, and a terrible controller for those types of games.

The trifecta of fail.

I'm only sad I wasted some space bucks on that turd.

Yup, well said. I avoided wasting bucks, though. I was holding out for Heavy Barrel. :(

I loved the concept, too. Didn't bother with any if the console games but I bought about a dozen of the coin-ops. While the execution did have some flaws, the real problem was that they couldn't get any more content providers to jump in. Easy money off games that have no value to publishers outside of a platform like this. Still hoping the concept will come back in some way but I doubt it.

Gaspode_T

The best games are basically the Konami games and some of the Atari arcade games.

Konami games like Finalizer, Flak Attack...so good...

Zee-Row

Banned
Damn i thought they were gonna relaunch this or something , thread title had my hopes up! I always loved the concepts and the challenge of beating other peoples high scores.

Did a search for any threads regarding Game Room, and this is all I could find =/ I just wanted to express how bummed I was when I tried booting this up, and you can't even free play or purchase any of the games anymore. I liked the concept of Game Room a lot, but sadly only ever bought 3 games: Jackal, Pitfall 2, and Jungler (Jeff Gerstmann's fault, lol)

Now it seems I can only play the games I bought in game room, and I wish I had gotten some games like Kitten Kaboodle, and River Raid. Microsoft dropped the ball with this thing, this could've been awesome. I loved the leaderboards, and I loved the challenges.

Did a search for any threads regarding Game Room, and this is all I could find =/ I just wanted to express how bummed I was when I tried booting this up, and you can't even free play or purchase any of the games anymore. I liked the concept of Game Room a lot, but sadly only ever bought 3 games: Jackal, Pitfall 2, and Jungler (Jeff Gerstmann's fault, lol)

Now it seems I can only play the games I bought in game room, and I wish I had gotten some games like Kitten Kaboodle, and River Raid. Microsoft dropped the ball with this thing, this could've been awesome. I loved the leaderboards, and I loved the challenges.

Considering you can use a controller with it, Game room would be pretty cool on Hololens. Regardless, I hope they revive it in some form some day. I have really bad cravings for classic arcade environments. All the ones from my childhood around here shut down. 😢

I was super hyped for this when it was announced... remember when Microsoft said they were gonna put new games on every week and it took like 3 months for new games to come out? I hope they do revisit the idea in the future, the customization aspect and the classic arcade games worked really well together.

Top Bottom