• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Changing PSN Region

VargasPaPuM

I may need to move to a different country. Do you know if it is possible to change regions on PSN?
IF YES, How can I do it?

Regards,

RCU005

You can't change regions, but can create a new account on whatever region you want. I guess that's not convenient because you might already have many content in your existing account. However, you might still want to keep using your account, since it shouldn't affect at all being in other region.

I have two accounts. One from the US and other from Japan. I don't live in any of those countries. I have the US one since many years back, and I like to pay in dollars since games are cheaper than in my region. I have the Japanese one just in case.

If your payments are through a credit card like subscription or buying games, yes your region has to match. So if lets say you are using an american CC and have an american account...as long as that CC is active you can still purchase as normal, it doesnt matter if you changed countries. Because your PSN account is tied to a payment method that has to be from the same region.

But if you move to another country, and you end up closing the bank account from there and opening a new local one, your region wont match anymore. But its an easy loop. Either open another account in the local currency and address and bank you are in next, when you buy a game all you have to do is switch back to your original PSN and can play it there and continue collecting trophies for it there. Or even easier, f the bank just buy digital cards on like play asia etc. I changed 2 countries and thats all I do, dont even bother with credit cards anymore.

Last edited:

RCU005

If your payments are through a credit card like subscription or buying games, yes your region has to match. So if lets say you are using an american CC and have an american account...as long as that CC is active you can still purchase as normal, it doesnt matter if you changed countries. Because your PSN account is tied to a payment method that has to be from the same region.

But if you move to another country, and you end up closing the bank account from there and opening a new local one, your region wont match anymore. But its an easy loop. Either open another account in the local currency and address and bank you are in next, when you buy a game all you have to do is switch back to your original PSN and can play it there and continue collecting trophies for it there. Or even easier, f the bank just buy digital cards on like play asia etc. I changed 2 countries and thats all I do, dont even bother with credit cards anymore.

That's not entirely true. I have a US account with a bank account from another country and it works perfectly. I have two credit cards from two different banks and both work.

digdug2

I may need to move to a different country. Do you know if it is possible to change regions on PSN?
IF YES, How can I do it?

Regards,
I have had a US PSN account for 15 years. Moved to Germany years ago and I still use my US account. I buy the US edition of games and pay USD.

That's not entirely true. I have a US account with a bank account from another country and it works perfectly. I have two credit cards from two different banks and both work.

Thats weird because PSN does background check on matching region and cards. Even if my paypal is another region it wont accept the purchase. Xbox on theother hand doesnt care.

This is from playstations official page:

If your credit or debit card is registered to an address in a different country to that of your PlayStation Store region, you may find that they cannot be linked

Last edited:

nush

Thank you. This is sad. They need to improve this. People move around.
When I got my PS4 I was living in China, it let me setup and use a UK PSN account. So you won’t need to change region. I also setup a Hong Kong PSN account but I could not use my UK credit card for payment so I just brought PSN cards from an online store.

On the same PS4 I could use games purchased on either account on that PS4.

If it works in China of all places you should be OK to keep using your current account with no changes.

GHG

Still using my UK accounts both for playstation and steam despite moving to the middle east over a decade ago and not returning.

I have no intention of moving either over to being a local account for where I live now.

Only do it if it's going to result in superior game pricing and/or game availability for you. Neither were true in my case so I just stuck with what I had.

To be honest, they should allow you to move your PSN account to a different region if you wish to do so, and maybe add a 6 month cooldown or something similar between region changes to prevent abuse. MS already allows this for their Xbox accounts, btw.

Filben

Only possible if you bother the support people long enough and they tell you that you might lose licenses and stuff you own due to this because of different license agreements in different regions.

My advice, just buy the prepaid cards of your account's region or use Klarna if available (they can recharge your PSN wallet region independently). I do it all the time because I have an Austrian account and live in Germany. I either buy Austrian prepaid cards and use the code or use Klarna and choose my bank in Germany (only possible on console, not on the app or web browser).

Top Bottom