• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charleyy Hodson on the sexual harassment livestreams on Twitch

Likely most women in and out of the games industry are recipients of unwanted sexual advances. Do we need a post for everyone slighted?
That's actually a great idea. Let's see just how far this rabbit hole goes.
My daughter wants to be a gaming "YouTube-er" but little does she know that there are legions of dipshits who like nothing better than ruining her good time with rude, vulgar and sexist comments. The fact you can't do something as inoccous as gaming without being harassed is some lame bullshit. Let's not minimize it.

AESplusF

My daughter wants to be a gaming "YouTube-er" but little does she know that there are legions of dipshits who like nothing better than ruining her good time with rude, vulgar and sexist comments. The fact you can't do something as inoccous as gaming without being harassed is some lame bullshit. Let's not minimize it.

That's really fucking sad.

SledGod

My daughter has similar aspirations, and it breaks my heart that she is eventually going to have to face this reality. This is why I can't accept the idea that this is just how things are and that we shouldn't try to bring light to these issues.

jrcbandit

Obviously the vast majority of the events mentioned in these posts are awful, but I have a question about this one:

Is the second half of this exchange (ragging on women) the only problem here? Or is hitting on her at all considered harassment?

Because while on the one hand I understand that it can suck getting unwanted attention (and the gender imbalance in these sorts of communities can get overwhelming), as a lonely single guy it always feels like any sort of advance I might consider making could be problematic.

What sort of permission do I need to approach a woman?

I dunno why that instance was also put in as an example. It's some COD player hitting on her, not someone in a position of power making inappropriate comments to her or lying about sleeping with her, etc.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Its like these people are oblivious to the fact that these women get approached all the time by other socially inept blokes who tell themselves that the only reason they havent found somebody yet is because they are themselves are picky and need a "gamer girlfriend". There is probably nothing that can be said to these streamers/competative gamers that they havent already heard a million times from other men who had the same idea. Having to deal with that constantly, in additon to the inevitable bitterness thrown their way from men who get suprised and upset at being rejected.. that has to add up.

SledGod

I dunno why that instance was also put in as an example. It's some COD player hitting on her, not someone in a position of power making inappropriate comments to her or lying about sleeping with her, etc.

Doesn't mean that his comments weren't inappropriate or degrading. Just because that individual didn't have as much power as others doesn't detract from her point.

Arkage

Banned
Can't guys just say: "Hey wanna have a coffee sometime?"

"No? Ok."

Reminds of the Dawkins incident. Asked a lady if she wanted to get coffee back in his room while sharing the hotel elevator late at night, got torn apart for it.

SledGod

Reminds of the Dawkins incident. Asked a lady if she wanted to get coffee back in his room while sharing the hotel elevator late at night, got torn apart for it.

That's grossly inaccurate. Dawkin's was torn apart for saying she overreacted because the incident wasn't as bad as having her genitals mutilated. And I hope I don't have to explain why that is a shitty response.

She wasn't looking for a boyfriend (AFAIK), she was there to do a job or just have fun.

I get that you don't know until you ask, and "you miss every shot you don't take". Still, it would be like getting hit up unsolicited by evangelicals wanting to know about my plans for the afterlife. I'm not here for that, and what made you so presumptuous to assume that I was? Did my mere presence indicate to you that I was interested in buying what you're selling?

Raonak

Banned
Yep. It's sorta ingrained in culture.

Can't guys just say: "Hey wanna have a coffee sometime?"

"No? Ok."

Even that could get seen as inappropriate depending on the situation.
The line between is so hard to distinguish.... that imo; it's just not worth even bothering in the first place :(

Top Bottom