• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chernobyl tourism |OT| Soviet Union's carbon neutral sanctuary for wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
TL;DR - Vast, forgotten and emotionally intense, Chernobyl might very well one day be the last remaining sign of humankind on Earth. It's now possible to travel to the area to see nature taking over.

cAlu4ug.jpg

I recently got to visit Chernobyl, the site of the world's deadliest nuclear disaster that took place almost exactly 30 years ago, on 26 April 1986. I thought fellow gaffers would be interested to see pictures I snapped on my iPhone, and read about the trip. Now is the last time to see Reactor Four before its forever laid inside its new sarcophagus, and before the buildings become too unsafe to enter.

Here's a great documentary explaining the disaster and its aftermath, with interviews of Gorba, military, residents and press:

http://youtu.be/dS3WvKKSpKI

Booking your trip
Going to Chernobyl is regulated, and only authorised tour providers are allowed to enter the exclusion zones. All visitors must be pre-approved, and you must have your passport with you. Many companies arrange trips there. I booked mine from Faralong.com, as I wanted to see Kiev as well:

https://www.faralong.com/ukraine/kiev-and-chernobyl/152

Getting there
Chernobyl is located a few hunded kilometers away from Kiev, Ukraine. Many airlines fly to Kiev. From there your tour operator will drive you for a full-day trip to Chernobyl. The ride is two hours each way, and you'll get to see documentary films on the way. And you'll be treated to this gem.

SDe9O1i.jpg

Entering Chernobyl exclusion zone
You'll pass through three checkpoints as you head deeper into the exclusion zone, one at 30km, another at 20km and final at 10km. You will be equipped with a geiger meter, and briefed on security instructions - most important of which is that don't touch anything, and stay on walked paths.

JMSZGIA.jpg

A deserted world
It's quite emotional to see life stopped at its tracks, and seeing how nature has taken over what used to be lively buildings. You'll get to visit villages, schools, townhalls and markets around Chernobyl. Over a hundred villages were evacuated, and the inhabitants were never able to return.

Uh9wTnR.jpg

XXKaUUu.jpg

6OaqVnz.jpg

a9xeRFX.jpg

zaSvFBy.jpg

kb2Qdqf.jpg

qZk3drq.jpg

Woodpecker - the Duga 3 radar
Absolutely phenomenal in scale, you'll get to see Soviet Union's secret radar built in the Chernobyl area before the disaster. One of the biggest engineering undertakings of its time, it actually didn't work very well.

jCV89p8.jpg

VP8RzG4.jpg

mSxr8sP.jpg

Ghost town of Pripyat
Possibly the best known town in the exclusion zone, Pripyat was a thriving new town built just a few years before the incident. The town had a high standard of living, with a stadium, swimming pool, amusement park, riverside restaurant and much more. The town was well designed, providing a home to thousands of people working in Chernobyl.

rTtSm7W.jpg

lrTjlPS.jpg

Cy1ObhE.jpg

ixzRmoz.jpg

uHfD3fg.jpg

k4pCu2E.jpg

ctMGFVD.jpg

iDLv1cg.jpg

iBHmBdC.jpg

Reactor Four
What surprised us was that we got to go within 270 meters of the reactor that melted down. There aren't words to describe the sense of being so close to something so epically destructive, a place that has caused so much human pain and death. Another surprise is that there are still thousands of people working on the reactor, building a new dome shaped sarcophagus that will be moved on top of Reactor Four in the near future. In fact, this is the last time you'll ever be able to see the actual building live.

ZFmi4s6.jpg

Wildlife and nature
For obvious reasons, hunting and farming is prohibited in the exclusion zone. This has turned the area into a wildlife sanctuary, with an abundance of bears, boars, birds, fish. There are a lot of stray dogs as well. While they are very friendly, you should never touch them, as they might have touched something radioactive.

4qInf51.jpg

Costs, food and drinks
You'll mostly eat and drink in Kiev. Kiev is a phenomenal city, incredibly beautiful, friendly and impressive. Our tour included a few days in Kiev. There are superb Ukrainan, Kazbegi and Georgian restaurants, where a dinner for 7 people with many bottles of wine and vodka costs us 100e altogether. We were also thrilled to find small microbreweries. Everything is dirt cheap because the currency collapsed, this tasting menu of craft beer costs 1.5EUR for example:

Safety
Kiev is generally safe, and you couldn't really tell that the country is in war. If you stay on mainstream areas you shouldn't have any worse trouble than pickpockets.

One thing to look out for are drunk drivers though. Amazingly we got into a car accident in Chernobyl, with probably the only car on the road in addition to us. Three army guys were blind drunk and just rammed onto our tour bus. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Z4cHkg9.jpg

FAQs

Why would anyone want to go to Chernobyl?
For me as a Finn, Chernobyl was one of the biggest events of my childhood. Probably the closest for an American would be 9/11. It's very emotional to go to see where it all happened, and learn more about the event

Why travel now?
There are two reasons to travel now, rather than later.

1 - Reactor Four will soon be forever covered with a new sarcophagus, so now is last time to see it in its current form.
2 - All the buildings are gradually headed towards collapsing. Soon it will not be safe enough to enter them anymore, so you won't be able to see indoors

Was Chernobyl really that big a deal?
Yes. In fact, it wasn't revealed until 20 years later that a 2nd explosion in Chernobyl would have wiped out half of Europe, and it was avoided because of the brave men who sacrificed themselves in order to get the meltdown under control.

Isn't going to Chernobyl really unhealthy? Isn't it still radiating?
Reactor Four has been contained by a sarcophagus, so the radiation levels from it are very low. Within 270m from the reactor you are exposed only to around 4mSv/h. The main radioactive hazards would be radioactive particles in the nature. The areas have been extensively cleaned, and the highest radiation source we could find with our geiger meters was around 10mSv/h.

Just how much radiation do you get when going?
For most of the day you'll be exposed to radiation no higher than anywhere else. In fact, the radiation in Chernobyl exclusion zone is lower than in San Francisco.

The most radioactive point of the journey is Reactor Four. You'll get to stay for 10 minutes, at around 4mSv/h. This exposes you to about 0.7mSv. Here are some other radiation dosages, for comparison.

- Kiev - 0.14 mSv/h
- Chernobyl exclusion zone - 0.12 mSv/h
- San Francisco - 0.21 mSv/h
- Chernobyl Reactor Four observation point at 270m - 4.0 mSv/h - 10 min = 0.6mSv
- Dental X-ray - 5.0 mSv
- Airplane, intercontinental flight - up to 8.0 mSv/h
- Chest CT scan - 7.0 mSv
- Fatal dose - 8,000,000.0 mSv

W6yMIVH.jpg

How do you know you didn't become radioactive?
Every visitor is measured at the end of the trip with a machine capable of detecting a single radioactive dust particle (the most common thing you might get). In the unlikely event of having one, you'd be decontaminated.

Is it morally wrong to go to Chernobyl?
Going to any holiday destination warrants some ethical pondering. Personally, I could not think of many reasons why going to Chernobyl would be unethical.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
[Is it morally wrong to go to Chernobyl?
Going to any holiday destination warrants some ethical pondering. Personally, I could not think of many reasons why going to Chernobyl would be unethical.

Id say its a better educational experience for people giving them a up close and personal look at what happens when shit goes wrong with nuclear energy.

Great thread btw.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Id say its a better educational experience for people giving them a up close and personal look at what happens when shit goes wrong with nuclear energy.

Great thread btw.

Thanks. I certainly didn't really quite appreciate the dangers of nuclear power. I've always been fairly pro-nuclear, as it has seemed like a sensible carbon neutral option. However going to Chernobyl made me think that nothing is worth that risk.

It was shocking to learn that there is still enough material in Chernobyl to kill 100 million people, should it ever blow up.

Incredible. Thank you for sharing. Overall, great pics, but the pool is my favorite. Nice work.

Thanks. For all the horror, it turns out Chernobyl is quite a photogenic place.

Puppen

Banned
That last question.. wtf? How on earth could it be morally wrong to visit a historical site? Is it morally wrong to visit Auschwitz?

Chittagong

Gold Member
That last question.. wtf? How on earth could it be morally wrong to visit a historical site? Is it morally wrong to visit Auschwitz?

Learning from my previous travels, I always have this consideration now. The two most morally questionable trips I've done are North Korea and Maldives. So I think about it carefully now.

Learning from my previous travels, I always have this consideration now. The two most morally questionable trips I've done are North Korea and Maldives. So I think about it carefully now.

Super great thread and a very interesting read. Really want to go one day.

Curious though as to why the Maldives was morally questionable.

Dryk

Thanks. I certainly didn't really quite appreciate the dangers of nuclear power. I've always been fairly pro-nuclear, as it has seemed like a sensible carbon neutral option. However going to Chernobyl made me think that nothing is worth that risk.
Sending the relevant bureaucrats to the zone to instill that sort of solemnity would probably make nuclear power safer

Chittagong

Gold Member
Super great thread and a very interesting read. Really want to go one day.

Curious though as to why the Maldives was morally questionable.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Maldives is less obvious. Essentially, you are going on islands very far away from anything. You'll be taken with a speed boat or a small seaplane to your resort. In your resort you'll be treated to wines, gin & tonics and food brought over with ships over enormous distances. Food, drinks and indoor spaces are kept at a cool temperature. Since the islands are so far away the resorts run on their own aggregate for electricity, AC and refrigeration. All this burns huge amounts of fossil fuel. And ironically, the islands are going to disappear due to global warming, as their highest elevation is just 3m. I came to realise how incredibly wasteful all of it is.

Sounds really interesting. I remember going to hospitals when I was younger and seeing some of the kids who unfortunately had their lives serverely impacted by the disaster. It was a horrifying thing.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Maldives is less obvious. Essentially, you are going on islands very far away from anything. You'll be taken with a speed boat or a small seaplane to your resort. In your resort you'll be treated to wines, gin & tonics and food brought over with ships over enormous distances. Food, drinks and indoor spaces are kept at a cool temperature. Since the islands are so far away the resorts run on their own aggregate for electricity, AC and refrigeration. All this burns huge amounts of fossil fuel. And ironically, the islands are going to disappear due to global warming, as their highest elevation is just 3m. I came to realise how incredibly wasteful all of it is.

Very interesting. Was it worth it?

Amazing work on this thread, it's a topic I've always been interested in.
Felt really sorry for the dog, even though it's the only life he's known.

F!ReW!Re

Thanks for this thread dude! This and North Korea are still super high on my to do list...

Was supposed to go to North Korea last year but my tour got cancelled due to the country closing it's borders for a couple of months...

WoodWERD

Awesome. Going to have to get there some day. Your pics remind me of that ghostrider site from years and yeeears ago.

E92 M3

50,000 people used to live there, and now it's a ghost town.

Excellent thread, OP. I love reading about Chernobyl.

RoKKeR

Damn, now I really want to play CoD4. That ferris wheel photo... looks exactly like that in the game.

Great job with this thread OP, very interesting!

void666

Banned
I was 7 when chernobyl happened.
It was thanks to Call of duty 4 and stalker games that i started reading about it.
Since then i'm fascinated with chernobyl. I'd love to visit pripyat someday.

Nice thread OP.

Nikodemos

Chernobyl is probably the best argument in favour of making stupidity a mental illness, and having all the sufferers straitjacketed and locked away in asylums for the rest of their lives.

~100 billion euros in damage (material and human) because a glory-hunting fucktard wanted his pet theory validated.

forms

I know several (Stalker fans) that visited as soon as it was possible. I'd like to go some day. But right now, I don't think so. As you put it yourself:

"Safety
Kiev is generally safe, and you couldn't really tell that the country is in war."

:D

Fantastic pictures.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Very cool thread, thanks!

Syriel

A deserted world
It's quite emotional to see life stopped at its tracks, and seeing how nature has taken over what used to be lively buildings. You'll get to visit villages, schools, townhalls and markets around Chernobyl. Over a hundred villages were evacuated, and the inhabitants were never able to return.

Not entirely deserted.

People still live in the main town in shifts as they work in the area and on the reactor. I believe it was 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, IIRC.

When I visited, we had lunch in the town cafeteria.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
After playing STALKER Call of Pripiyat I've always wanted to visit.

..but I'm in the states, and if I want to see abandoned derelict buildings it's cheaper to just go to Detroit.

Great thread and photographs.

I've been fascinated by Chernobyl plant, Pripyat, and the surroundings myself for a long time, I think I've scoured over every blog such as live journals to vlogs that I've found.

I've been planning on going myself for a while now when I return back home to Europe permanently.

I wonder what it would be like to stay there for the night...

A friend of mine does urban exploration and knows some people that have done illegal excursions into the area, since urban explorers usually trespass, they'd naturally never take a tour guide. They've stayed over night before, spent a weekend in the zone, mostly around Pripyat exploring all the buildings.

In any case, any of you that want to watch some cool videos, here are some episodes by some Poles that did an illegal excursion into the zone (all PoV)

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Also another channel that has lots of videos about it, she doesn't do that many uploads any more but there is a lot of interesting things to watch nonetheless. For example she did a video about Duga-3 which I suppose OP might find interesting too: Inside Duga-3 / Дуга-3, computer mainframe of the Russian Woodpecker / Chernobyl-2

Amazing work on this thread, it's a topic I've always been interested in.
Felt really sorry for the dog, even though it's the only life he's known.

Yeah, when I see that photo, I thought of my dogs here and how good they have compared to the ones in Chernobyl and how fucked up it must be living out there. :(

You don't have to fly to Ukraine to personally see thousands of people who will die as a result of our prolonged fossil fuel use caused directly by our nuclear phobia. There's a pretty solid chance that somebody that you know personally will die from coal-related air pollution, and that they'd have survived had we switched over to nuclear power a decade ago.

But I guess that's a bit too subtle for people to care.

Bumhead

Banned
Amazing thread.

I think the only reason I've never been to Chernobyl is because I've never holidayed completely solo before, and it's something I'd probably have to do on my own. Not sure there's much appetite for it as a holiday destination amongst my friends or family circle.

One day I'll do it though. Bookmarking this thread for when I do.

Really cool stuff. I do wish you had a better camera though. :p

Do a lot of people try to pick up stuff as souveniers? I remember reading that they tell you not to and its rather obvious why not, but I figured people being people they will try to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom