• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago Detective "Not Guilty" of killing unarmed woman without presenting a defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-detective-manslaughter-trial-0421-met-20150420-story.html

In a surprise move Monday, a Cook County judge threw out all the charges against a veteran Chicago police detective who was on trial for fatally shooting a woman during an off-duty incident in March 2012.

Moments before the defense was to put on its evidence in the bench trial, Judge Dennis Porter ruled that prosecutors failed to prove that Dante Servin acted recklessly, saying the shooting was an intentional act.

Under Illinois law, Porter held that a person who shoots a gun in the direction of an intended victim cannot be convicted of involuntary manslaughter but only first degree murder. Anytime a person points a gun at their intended victim and shoots, it is intentional act, not a reckless one, he said.

Prosecutors had charged Servin with involuntary manslaughter, not murder, saying he acted recklessly when he fired five shots over his shoulder from inside his car in the direction of four people who had their backs to him in a dark West Side alley.

His attorneys said Servin was in fear for his life after Antonio Cross, one of the four, pulled an object from his waistband, pointed it at the officer and ran toward his car.

Boyd, 22, was fatally shot in the back of the head. Police found only a cellphone at the scene near Douglas Park.

Before he left the courthouse, Servin, 46, spoke to reporters, saying that he has always maintained that Boyd's death was a tragic accident and offered her family "my deepest sympathies." He blamed Cross' actions for causing Boyd's death.

"I need you to know that my family and I have also suffered greatly during the past three years, and we will continue to suffer," Servin said.

"And I'm glad to be alive. I saved my life that night. I'm glad that I'm not a police death statistic. Antonio Cross is a would-be cop killer and that's all I have to say."

Darren O'Brien, Servin's lead attorney, said he cannot be retried for murder because of double-jeopardy protections.

Chicago/Police corruption continues.

EDIT: More details on the actual shooting can be found here:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-11-26/news/chi-detective-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-in-fatal-shooting-20131125_1_involuntary-manslaughter-police-officer-detective-dante-servin

FStop7

Banned
Darren O'Brien, Servin's lead attorney, said he cannot be retried for murder because of double-jeopardy protections.

wut?

If the charges were thrown out then there is no acquittal, therefore no double jeopardy.

It sounds to me like this was a procedural issue and that charges can be re-filed.

Volimar

At some point you'd like to think that Chicago's corruption and law enforcement corruption would cancel each other out. Instead we get a corruption black hole.

wildfire

Banned
This is one of those moments when the following the written letter of the law violates the spirit of the law IMO.

Koomaster

'I saved my life that night.'

In what way? All they found was a cellphone. I could understand at the time not knowing that you may have feared for your life and did what you thought appropriate. But now that you know better saying you saved your life is kinda crazy.

But even worse is he calls the guy a would be cop killer. If all he had was a cellphone, then no he wasn't. WTF is he talking about?

Rembrandt

Banned
Wait, he blindfired over his shoulder in his car at a group of people and is walking away completely free? Get the fuck out of here. That felt insane to even write.

So all you have to do to get off with murder as an officer is to imagine an alternate universe where a gun exists and believe in it so wholeheartedly that your perceptions defy the actual evidence....

andthebeatgoeson

How exactly is this a "surprise move"? It would have been a surprise if the cop was actually held accountable, not the other way around.
At some point, we'll get a better vantage point on how deep this rabbit hole goes. Systemic racism is engrained. In all of society.

Judges, prosecutors, juries, society. Everyone has a role. Judges will throw crap out, prosecutors will protect the police or risk not being elected, juries will give them an extreme benefit of the doubt ('he risks his life everyday') and society still looks the other way ('you guys have been oppressed for forever but I just started yesterday and this is a tragedy').

Hell, 'bury them under the jail' is starting to be a trigger for me.

Skeyser

'I saved my life that night.'

In what way? All they found was a cellphone. I could understand at the time not knowing that you may have feared for your life and did what you thought appropriate. But now that you know better saying you saved your life is kinda crazy.

But even worse is he calls the guy a would be cop killer. If all he had was a cellphone, then no he wasn't. WTF is he talking about?

I could be wrong, but the other people who didn't get shot in the head might have ran away, leaving only the girl and her cellphone to be found.

Syriel

wut?

If the charges were thrown out then there is no acquittal, therefore no double jeopardy.

It sounds to me like this was a procedural issue and that charges can be re-filed.

This makes zero sense

Assuming the story is accurate, the judge ruled for an acquittal on a procedural move.

Judges have the authority to do so when the prosecution fails to prove its case. Doing so is different than a prosecutor dropping charges. In the former double jeopardy would apply. In the latter it would not.

The judge basically said that because the shooting was intentional that it factually cannot be reckless and therefore the prosecution failed to establish the necessary facts required by the charge.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So all you have to do to get off with murder as an officer is to imagine an alternate universe where a gun exists and believe in it so wholeheartedly that your perceptions defy the actual evidence....
That works for people who aren't police officers, so this shouldn't surprise you at all.

Unmarked car, unregistered gun, can't even be hit for manslaughter, let alone 1st or 2nd degree murder.

The defense? of course, "feared for his life," "reached for a gun" (that never existed), etc.

If the cops so much as imagine a gun on you, your life is as good as forfeit.

In a way, I see why the judge threw out the charges like he did. Firing blindly like the officer did doesn't fall under involuntary manslaughter, it falls under the umbrella of murder. Involuntary manslaughter is the wrong charge, because it usually means that some lesser reckless behavior was being engaged in that accidentally ended up killing someone.

This is the key part of the Illinois murder statute:
(a) A person who kills an individual without lawful justification commits first degree murder if, in performing the acts which cause the death:
(1) he either intends to kill or do great bodily harm to that individual or another, or knows that such acts will cause death to that individual or another; or
(2) he knows that such acts create a strong probability of death or great bodily harm to that individual or another; or
(3) he is attempting or committing a forcible felony other than second degree murder.

The facts of the case falls pretty squarely into the scenario provided in 2. Charging first-degree and second-degree murder would have been appropriate, not involuntary manslaughter. Calling his behavior reckless is appropriate in a common usage sense, but the circumstances seem to describe a situation that go beyond reckless into the realm of what is known as "depraved indifference". Depraved indifference is the way that you get to press for murder charges against someone who fires blindly into a crowd, since the random nature of the shooting takes away the layer of intent.

Also, I'm not at all a lawyer, but the bit about double jeopardy sounds like bullshit to me. The charges were thrown on the basis that the homicide was not involuntary, not because they couldn't meet the other standards of the crime that would place it as a lesser included offense to actual murder charges. It probably would prohibit further charges in the case of the latter, but not necessarily in the former. I would think anyway (again, not a lawyer).

EDIT:
Unmarked car, unregistered gun, can't even be hit for manslaughter, let alone 1st or 2nd degree murder.

To be fair, the judge threw out the case because they had undercharged the officer. Involuntary manslaughter has a definition that doesn't stretch to include something this reckless, and the prosecutors fucked up majorly by filing it this way.

In a way, I see why the judge threw out the charges like he did. Firing blindly like the officer did doesn't fall under involuntary manslaughter, it falls under the umbrella of murder. Involuntary manslaughter is the wrong charge, because it usually means that some lesser reckless behavior was being engaged in that accidentally ended up killing someone.

This is the key part of the Illinois murder statute:

The facts of the case falls pretty squarely into the scenario provided in 2. Charging first-degree and second-degree murder would have been appropriate, not involuntary manslaughter. Calling his behavior reckless is appropriate in a common usage sense, but the circumstances seem to describe a situation that go beyond reckless into the realm of what is known as "depraved indifference". Depraved indifference is the way that you get to press for murder charges against someone who fires blindly into a crowd, since the random nature of the shooting takes away the layer of intent.

Also, I'm not at all a lawyer, but the bit about double jeopardy sounds like bullshit to me. The charges were thrown on the basis that the homicide was not involuntary, not because they couldn't meet the other standards of the crime that would place it as a lesser included offense to actual murder charges. It probably would prohibit further charges in the case of the latter, but not necessarily in the former. I would think anyway (again, not a lawyer).

EDIT:

To be fair, the judge threw out the case because they had undercharged the officer. Involuntary manslaughter has a definition that doesn't stretch to include something this reckless, and the prosecutors fucked up majorly by filing it this way.

If double jeopardy does apply, I doubt this would be the first time prosecutors have mischarged a cop in an attempt to protect them.

Either way, it's at least concerning that this man walked freely out of the court and is no longer in custody. If it was an issue of charging him with a harsher crime you'd think they'd hold on to him.

I mean, the cop said he expects to return to his job. That's fucked.

FStop7

Banned
Assuming the story is accurate, the judge ruled for an acquittal on a procedural move.

Judges have the authority to do so when the prosecution fails to prove its case. Doing so is different than a prosecutor dropping charges. In the former double jeopardy would apply. In the latter it would not.

The judge basically said that because the shooting was intentional that it factually cannot be reckless and therefore the prosecution failed to establish the necessary facts required by the charge.

Wow. That is awful.

I've got nothing.

I can't even be mad today. These stories are so commonplace now that some days you can't even muster the energy to even be upset about it.

I'm so tired.

ItIsOkBro

please retry him for murder; i don't see how double jeopardy applies at all - this logic follows from the case itself: involuntary manslaughter is not similar to murder at all.

I could be wrong, but the other people who didn't get shot in the head might have ran away, leaving only the girl and her cellphone to be found.

Nope. A story from when the court date was set tells the story in more detail. The cell phone belonged to the guy who "pulled the gun".

A lot more horrifying details here:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-11-26/news/chi-detective-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-in-fatal-shooting-20131125_1_involuntary-manslaughter-police-officer-detective-dante-servin

soleil

Banned
He wasn't charged with murder. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Therefore it is not double jeopardy to start charging him with murder now.

Patapwn

Really? I could be wrong, but I thought double jeopardy applies to counts. I didn't know that you could come back and bump up a charge

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty certain double jeopardy only applies if a person has been found not guilty. If the case is thrown out for procedural purposes, the prosecution can absolutely re-try a person.

wildfire

Banned

Double jeopardy rules protect a person from being charged for similar or more tougher sentences.

The problem here is that the judge decided to give the officer an acquittal instead of allowing the prosecution to resubmit their charges.

He was found not guilty.

By being potentially guilty for a harsher penalty.

Cat

Yeah, my Twitter timeline's been talking about this case a lot today, sounds all-around table and that the system failed the victim's family in every respect. My support to Rekia Boyd's family.

soleil

Banned
Double jeopardy rules protect a person from being charged for similar or more tougher sentences.

The problem here is that the judge decided to give the officer an acquittal instead of allowing the prosecution to resubmit their charges.
Really. Damn.
The prosecution also seems like they were incredibly stupid, and I think they share blame with the judge. Who knows, maybe the prosecution intentionally fucked it up so they can protect the cop while looking like they tried to help.

darscot

By being potentially guilty for a harsher penalty.

The judge gave a directed verdict, I'm not a lawyer but I believe double jeopardy does apply. Judging by the video the judge is not happy about it.

This wasn't actually a case of the charge being dismissed, it's a verdict issued by the judge. The prosecution presented their case, and the judge ruled that the allegations made by the prosecution didn't amount to an instance of the charge they made. He didn't throw out the charges, he found the officer not guilty.

Basically, while a jury is enpaneled to decide questions of fact, the judge is involved to decide questions of law. The prosecution's case didn't actually allege a violation of the law that they had charged him with, so the judge found him not guilty.

I don't think double jeopardy necessarily applies here, specifically because the judge's ruling was about how the state failed to make a part of their case that was specific to the involuntary manslaughter charge and not an element common to that charge and to 1st/2nd degree murder charges. But, again, not a lawyer, I could be really wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Witnesses have said that the Detective was in fact driving around drunk and that Cross did not have a weapon at all.

soleil

Banned
This wasn't actually a case of the charge being dismissed, it's a verdict issued by the judge. The prosecution presented their case, and the judge ruled that the allegations made by the prosecution didn't amount to an instance of the charge they made. He didn't throw out the charges, he found the officer not guilty.

Basically, while a jury is enpaneled to decide questions of fact, the judge is involved to decide questions of law. The prosecution's case didn't actually allege a violation of the law that they had charged him with, so the judge found him not guilty.

I don't think double jeopardy necessarily applies here, specifically because the judge's ruling was about how the state failed to make a part of their case that was specific to the involuntary manslaughter charge and not an element common to that charge and to 1st/2nd degree murder charges. But, again, not a lawyer, I could be really wrong.
This is what I was thinking. Different charge... he was never charged with murder. If they charge him with murder now, it would be the first time they are doing that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I can't imagine double jeopardy being allowed to apply if a charge is thrown out because it's not harsh enough. That's just ripe for abuse.

This is what I was thinking. Different charge... he was never charged with murder. If they charge him with murder now, it would be the first time they are doing that.

It's not so much the charge, as the elements of the charge.

If 1st/2nd degree murder were just Involuntary Manslaughter with extra conditions, then double jeopardy would apply here. However, in this case, Involuntary Manslaughter has a condition that does not have to be met for 1st/2nd degree murder, and the judge was explicit that the state's failure to meet that condition is what resulted in the directed verdict.

Given that, I'd think he's not protected by double jeopardy.

It's not so much the charge, as the elements of the charge.

If 1st/2nd degree murder were just Involuntary Manslaughter with extra conditions, then double jeopardy would apply here. However, in this case, Involuntary Manslaughter has a condition that does not have to be met for 1st/2nd degree murder, and the judge was explicit that the state's failure to meet that condition is what resulted in the directed verdict.

Given that, I'd think he's not protected by double jeopardy.

Are you sure what he was accused of and what the judge recommended have different conditions though? It seems like it could go either way honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom