• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Central Bank orders Banks to stop doing business with North Korea

Japan with a full military (not a limited defensive military) would be a challenge to Chinese regional rule.

True, but curious how they would staff it. Birth rate in Japan is way down, not a lot of desire amongst youth to join up just to get potentially shot at. Wonder if they would implement a draft?

Chichikov

Not sure why people act all surprised, this is just part of the implementation of the latest UN security council resolution from August. China has been generally following UN resolutions in regards for North Korea, which isn't really all that shocking considering that they voted for this.

America's approach to foreign policy, 1900: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

America's approach to foreign policy, 2017: "WE WILL DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE COUNTRY, ROCKETMAN WHOOO USA USA USA"
Thanks for this enlightening opinion on China's central banking.

zelas

Because all of the fear-mongering conditions them to expect the worse.

Pretty much. Some people on this board seem eager to rave about nuclear war. It's ridiculous.

Trump's administration has said they've been working to get China to make this type of move for a while now. Yet instead of waiting for that situation to develop so many people here scoffed at historical facts and wrote off diplomacy alternatives across the board. Just to jump straight to talking about how many people will die in a nuclear attack. So comforting.

True, but curious how they would staff it. Birth rate in Japan is way down, not a lot of desire amongst youth to join up just to get potentially shot at. Wonder if they would implement a draft?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was conscription, like South Korea. Although JapanGAF could tell you more than I if that is feasible.

TarNaru33

Banned
Not sure why people act all surprised, this is just part of the implementation of the latest UN security council resolution from August. China has been generally following UN resolutions in regards for North Korea, which isn't really all that shocking considering that they voted for this.

Because of how reluctant they usually are on NK sanctions and are the main ones propping NK up so it can keep surviving.

Chichikov

Because of how reluctant they usually are on NK sanctions and are the main ones propping NK up so it can keep surviving.
How reluctant are they?
They never vetoed any UN security council resolution North Korea and as far as I know they have been compiling with them reasonably well.

The only thing I can think of is that the Bush administration wasn't happy that they weren't boarding North Korean ships.

I mean yeah, if your measure is that anyone who doesn't want to impose sanctions as strict as the US is reluctant then yes, but I'm not sure that's the best bar in the world.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So what’s gonna happen when a desperately impoverished country’s most valuable asset is nuclear technology?

Let’s find out. :/

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Or US messaging conditioned you to think that way.

It's easy to talk big when the nuclear bombs aren't next to your border.

TarNaru33

Banned
Or US messaging conditioned you to think that way.

It's easy to talk big when the nuclear bombs aren't next to your border.

I would say the same thing.

How reluctant are they?
They never vetoed any UN security council resolution North Korea and as far as I know they have been compiling with them reasonably well.

The only thing I can think of is that the Bush administration wasn't happy that they weren't boarding North Korean ships.

I mean yeah, if your measure is that anyone who doesn't want to impose sanctions as strict as the US is reluctant then yes, but I'm not sure that's the best bar in the world.

No, I mean the whole fact that they prop up NK at all. People see that and deem them very unhelpful at dealing with NK.

The big 3 generally follow UN resolution whenever they feel like it.

They can block any sec council resolution anyway.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was conscription, like South Korea. Although JapanGAF could tell you more than I if that is feasible.

I really don't think there is any chance they would move to forced conscription. Even the moves Abe is taking are being heavily criticized and a large part of the populace don't want to become more of a military power.

I think there would be a HUGE backlash against the LDP if they tried something like that.

Can't help but think that if it weren't for greed, NK wouldn't even have damn CRT monitors to run their weapons program on. Why even trade with them the things they need to build those weapons?

npm0925

The other stuff wasn't absolutely huge. Coal and petroleum though? That's the real shit that ends a regime. No steel, limited capacity to move your military or transport food, you're done.
So Kim is going to shrug his shoulders and go quietly into the good night? More likely the egomaniac will take as many people with him as possible on his way out. I have some confidence that the US military would reject a nuclear launch order from Trump; I have none that the North Korean military would do the same. This regime needs to be allowed to continue so as to prop up the dead mans switch.

The other stuff wasn't absolutely huge. Coal and petroleum though? That's the real shit that ends a regime. No steel, limited capacity to move your military or transport food, you're done.
they have stockpiles, though this would their degrade their ability to fight a war for any length of time. It won’t end their ability to launch a few nukes and missiles.

My guess is Kim feels he’s close enough to establishing his goal of a strong and capable deterrence force and once he gets that will announce some sort of freeze or willingness to deal to get sanction relief

So Kim is going to shrug his shoulders and go quietly into the good night? More likely the egomaniac will take as many people with him as possible on his way out. I have some confidence that the US military would reject a nuclear launch order from Trump; I have none that the North Korean military would do the same. This regime needs to be allowed to continue so as to prop up the dead mans switch.
Kim's interest is staying in power. Him bombing others is the best way to end your regime. If it even gets that far and nobody else takes him out from inside the country.

After a few more big talks and shows he will back down and China will lift sanctions over time.

npm0925

Kim's interest is staying in power. Him bombing others is the best way to end your regime. If it even gets that far and nobody else takes him out from inside the country.

After a few more big talks and shows he will back down and China will lift sanctions over time.
How exactly will he back down? By not doing any more bomb tests? Who cares? No more ICBM tests? Again, he already has this technology.

Top Bottom