• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China says United States should 'brush up on' South China Sea history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UK's territory:

RBWzcHy.jpg

That's actually an inhabited place whose inhabitants want to remain part of the UK, as confirmed by referendum. Disputed islands in the SCS do not have anybody living on them.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That's actually an inhabited place whose inhabitants want to remain part of the UK, as confirmed by referendum. Disputed islands in the SCS do not have anybody living on them.

What makes the British claim even more beyond reproach: No indigenous population ever settled on the islands. Every single person is a settler, so Argentina's claims of that as invalidating the referendum make zero sense. Of course people from the UK moved there...there was nobody on them, that's entirely up for grabs. It's also a claim that was backed up with relevant flags for a relevant period of time, not like China is doing in places that other nations also claim. You can't do that in the modern era, there are overlapping claims backed up by relevant international law, China planting a flag doesn't invalidate them.

Argentina is never getting the Falklands. Nearest neighbour means nothing.

You don't even have to go there. Japan's maritime claim is even bigger and more ridiculous than China's

Japan has inhabited islands extending immediately northwest of Taiwan and...IIRC hundreds of miles roughly directly south of Tokyo.

The islands northwest of Taiwan are disputed today, as you see there, but the international thinking is that they're very much Japan.

Their claims there are less outlandish than you think. They actually have a valid claim to those southern areas.

I like how they left some space in the middle.

In fact, I think Tomb Raider 2013 might have taken place in the weird space in the middle.

You do understand that Japan controls numerous inhabited Islands that are too small to appear on that map right?

Japan claim plenty of uninhabited islands, it's just that they are not close to other countries so nobody fight over most of them with Japan

okinotorishima-2.jpg

BTW, these rocks are just oceans, they shouldn't be claimed by any country just like the arctic or the moon. Maybe 10 years from now, UN will pass law to split up the arctic among countries, but assigning moral value to these natural place is silly.

Pancake Mix

Japan claim plenty of uninhabited islands, it's just that they are not close to other countries so nobody fight over most of them with Japan

BTW, these rocks are just oceans, they shouldn't be claimed by any country just like the arctic or the moon. Maybe 10 years from now, UN will pass law to split up the arctic among countries, but assigning moral value to these natural place is silly.

But that's the point, those Southwestern claims of Japan's are actually islands, many inhabited, and they aren't controversial unless you ask China or Taiwan.

As for the more southeastern claims, well IIRC they do have valid claims to actual islands (inhabited or not) a fairly long distance roughly straight south of Tokyo. I don't remember what to google offhand, but if you wanted to fiddle around in google maps you'd likely find the island names. Not positive about those, however.

The Southwestern extent of their claim is Japanese beyond dispute and makes perfect sense. Inhabited too.

4Tran

Yeah, but those actually had populations throughout the ages, plus the Falkland Islands have no indigenous population. The Falkland Islands is a case of the nation of the first permanent colony having control, Argentina has no basis in international law for their claim to the Falklands.

China's case is mostly bullshit, partially because of how records were kept, but when there's no real ties other than "we never planted a flag, but we uh fished there", well so did the Vietnamese and everyone else in the surrounding area.

China is a big bully.
That there aren't any inhabitants only complicates matters but it doesn't say all that much about who actually has the rights to the disputed islands. And that part has to do with historical claims, not on geographical proximity.

Log4Girlz

Maybe China should brush up on how we ended the war in the Pacific

I literally would not be shocked to hear that from the Whitehouse

I wonder how many times in history a territory/s was taken without a war or monetary payment. Sounds like China wants to take some freebies and hopes everyone will be cool with it. Good luck with that China.

Laekon

Militarily those island are useless to China in a war. They can all be made useless with a few submarine launched cruise missiles.

D i Z

Shit. With everything that's happening right now, I actually forgot that this was a heated situation that our clownshoes gov't is going to be dealing with.

Both Taiwan and China pretend that the other entity doesn't exist so they're effectively on the same side in this dispute. This can be seen most clearly in the Senkaku Dispute where China let Taiwan do most of the heavy lifting.
It hasn't been like this for decades.

nampad

Those islands don't belong to China and we should not support invading bullies just because we dislike the new US administration.

samar11

hypothetical question here

What would happen if things escalates and US navy just sinks china's ancient naval just show to them who's the boss and just end it at that?lol

hypothetical question here

What would happen if things escalates and US navy just sinks china's ancient naval just show to them who's the boss and just end it at that?lol

China would be like "aw shit son you got us!" then slap the leg and laugh it off.

akira28

yeah asking us to use our intelligence and sober view of history is like a complete non-starter at this point. Can we just try some name calling instead?

Madness

Militarily those island are useless to China in a war. They can all be made useless with a few submarine launched cruise missiles.

Militarily those islands now have several runways and ports and will soon house barracks and mobile radars and even ballistic missiles. They will have the capability to operate warships and fighter jets thousands of miles from their mainland and also monitor large swathes of the Southeast Pacific. For them, this is their Hawaii, Guam. Plus they will soon have markets and ports for commercial fisheries and mining and extraction. They will literally begin stealing oil and gas and minerals that would rightfully belong to Vietnam and the Philippines and then back up those claims by having a warship threaten Vietnamese fishermen etc. It also provides them an ability to keep a vital trade route under their military control.

Matt

nintchdbpict000286915633.jpg

I think the US is the biggest bully of the world.
I find operating military installations in other nations with the consent (and encouragement) of their own governments to be far less "bullying" than a nation seizing foreign territory by military force or threat of force, as Russia has done recently and as China is trying/is doing here.

madrista7

I find operating military installations in other nations with the consent (and encouragement) of their own governments to be far less "bullying" than a nation seizing foreign territory by military force or threat of force, as Russia has done recently and as China is trying/is doing here.

Your mean is Vietnam, Former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya or Somalia? The people out there must be very grateful to US.

Matt

Your mean is Vietnam, Former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya or Somalia? The people out there must be very grateful to US.
Vietnam is getup much closer to the US recently, as a counter to China's aggressive posture. And I think a lot people in Kosovo are happy with that decision.

I never said the US is perfect, far from it. But posing a map of US bases and calling it the "biggest bully" is a ridiculous simplification.

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but I'm fairly sure the UK doesn't actually claim a massive slice of the Atlantic stretching across the whole planet.

Nah, we do.

Also that red line should loop around the bottom of Argentina to encircle the Pitcairn Islands.

Joni

I know shit would hit the fan but realistically how would china respond? I doubt they would start sending nukes.

North Korea missiles mysteriously get an upgrade capable of hitting Japan, while Vietnam and Taiwan suddenly disappear from the map.

Pancake Mix

nintchdbpict000286915633.jpg

I think the US is the biggest bully of the world.

Ummm, those of us in its NATO (and other) allies would say the US has been a fantastic partner for our way of life and a dear friend. You can say a lot about the current political situation, sure, but you cannot deny that the US has always been there for its friends.

Pretty sure all of those bases are well-liked and the US either owns the territory or rents them out. Australia is a huge partner, and those American troops are much appreciated.

Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan rely on American defence, Taiwan in particular for their independence and democracy. South Korea has the largest military of three, and even then, American help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom