• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China to force online games with loot boxes publicly announce item probabilities

Yeah, it's refreshing to see China's government focusing on the real, important issues over more trivial matters.

Falun Gong is a sect and in Germany can be even considered as one according to a 2005 court decision. What Falun Gong is doing is the same as the Chinese propaganda. They use the same counter-propaganda and lies that the Chinese government is using.
Check out their YouTube channel...

Li Hongzhi is a horrible person and not better than the Chinese government.

To the topic at hand. Great news. Should be mandatory and actually would be in Germany, but as long as you dont sue, nothing will change.

Good on china. I'm surprised that the EU hasn't tackled this yet

Actually there are laws in some european countries, but if no one is actually sueing, the companies just continue ignoring that.

StereoVsn

Would this only apply to PC/Console online games but also mobile games? Since the issue is even worse in various gacha games which proliferate on the Asian markets.

Hyun Sai

Very good. Even if not loot boxes per se, I always remember the shady stuff Warframe devs did (lie on the probabilities) and were exposed for it.

Falun Gong is a sect and in Germany can be even considered as one according to a 2005 court decision. What Falun Gong is doing is the same as the Chinese propaganda. They use the same counter-propaganda and lies that the Chinese government is using.
Check out their YouTube channel...

Li Hongzhi is a horrible person and not better than the Chinese government.

Yeah, it's totally OK for governments to imprison, brainwash, torture and kill people in sects. Also torture, murder and organ harvesting is the same as spreading propaganda. SMFH, "GAF defense force for anything" indeed.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Makes sense, in the UK scratch cards give the odds for each prize on the back, feels like the same sort of deal.

duckroll

Really? When did Japan implement this?

Ages ago. All mobile games are required to provide exact rates for gacha. It doesn't stop them from making tons of money. It's good to have transparent rates, but people thinking it will change the success of the business model don't know what they're talking about. This is about transparency and accountability. People throw the word "scam" around like they know what it means, the truth is, people like gambling, and it's not unknown odds which stop them from giving up gambling. :p

Mephala

This is great. More information to the consumer. I suspect it'll turn some consumers away once they do the maths but it is necessary.

Ages ago. All mobile games are required to provide exact rates for gacha. It doesn't stop them from making tons of money. It's good to have transparent rates, but people thinking it will change the success of the business model don't know what they're talking about. This is about transparency and accountability. People throw the word "scam" around like they know what it means, the truth is, people like gambling, and it's not unknown odds which stop them from giving up gambling. :p

giphy.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neglect_of_probability

Bluth54

Its almost surreal how "accepted" lootboxes are nowadays.

They convinced people to spend a lot of money to get almost nothing back. Amazing.

Trading Card packs and blind boxes have been accepted for decades now, why would lootboxes be any different.

spekkeh

Banned
Ghina really gets the cyber better than us.

Rip their own Tencent though?
(I have no clue how much of their income is based on lootboxes)

I doubt it would do much frankly. People who engage in gambling know the odds are stacked against them. But it might shine a light on something not everybody explicitly sees as gambling.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah, it's totally OK for governments to imprison, brainwash, torture and kill people in sects. Also torture, murder and organ harvesting is the same as spreading propaganda. SMFH, "GAF defense force for anything" indeed.
Having your organs harvested is a little sacrifice for the greater good of RNG ball busting

Weltall Zero, please.

Don't eat up everything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...95c05608059_story.html?utm_term=.ee4a73939757
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...val-torture-methods-against-opponents-amnesty
https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/asia-and-the-pacific/china/
http://www.upholdjustice.org/node/112
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_harvesting_from_Falun_Gong_practitioners_in_China
http://www.ishr.org/countries/peopl...tic-torture-in-the-peoples-republic-of-china/

I can "not eat up everything", but I can't rationally fail to "eat up anything". Reports of China's civil rights violations are readily available from any reputable source you care to mention, I shouldn't read them and then fail to update. Feel free, however, to cite reputable sources that say no violations exist at all, and I'll be happy to update the opposite way.

You can praise something for doing something right while criticizing at the same time when they do something wrong.

You realize the post I was replying to was "why can't all countries be like China", right?

For the record, I'm ready to drop the subject as it's off topic, but people seem to keep replying to me specifically.

mclem

The phrasing in the translation suggests this might apply to any random drop chance, not just pay-per-box gacha systems. Mistranslation, misreading, or would that mean (for example) WoW's boss drop data would come under the auspices of this?

woodland

Didnt Dota 2 vastly change how its economy works solely cause of places like China since it had so many players in that region?

Cause Valve's other 2 games need a shakeup like this.

Seems like it yes - went from chests w/ single items and being able to purchase items/sets directly to only chests that have "common" items, 1 "rare", and 1 "ultra rare". At about the same time, they took trading away from a lot of items released, changed their drop system, and started focusing on Chinese events like New Year's.

patchday

Chinese saving us just in time for the Christmas Overwatch event.

lmao!

Yeah this is a really great thing for gamers. Usually we already know the chances through data mining (I opened 100 packs and got 7 legendaries so we do math from there). But still it's a good thing for gamers

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Awesome. Having these laws catch up to these newer forms of feeding gambling addictions is a good thing for everyone.

Madame M

Banned
China cares about the efficiency of their "rehab" centers, nothing more. They care nothing about the plight of the poor, oppressed MMORPG player.

unrealist

Eastern countries seem to care about their gaming population more? Gatcha rates in JP .. rules in China and S Korea etc..

CoLaN

Trading Card packs and blind boxes have been accepted for decades now, why would lootboxes be any different.

Because the random goods inside the game boxes are not even physical. You basically pay for thin air when you get duplicates.

duckroll

Because the random goods inside the game boxes are not even physical. You basically pay for thin air when you get duplicates.

Physicality is mostly irrelevant in practical terms. There is value for collectors, but for most people what matters is what they want to use something for.

Abhor

Very good. Ive always though lootboxes are just scams.

Have you seen the new rng boxes added to ESO? It's almost like Zenimax deliberately made it seem shady as fuck. We got a good laugh out of the voiced Khajit bandit playing with magic cards.

Amazing that China is the one to push this. Wonder if this will lead to different rates per country or if this will gain moment in other countries. This is pretty much gambling for underaged kids or adults with an addiction.

Top Bottom