• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's answer to "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombadil

Banned
My answer to the riddle is that it wasn't lions he saw at the store. They were water buffalo, and when he shot them with arrows, they began to drip water. So when he took them home, his house was dripping with water and the buffaloes began to dry out due to lack of water. So when he tried to eat them, he "discovered" that they were stone statues.

My second answer is, shi shi shi... shi shi, which I think is equally plausible.

leroidys

http://www.mmtaylor.net/Literacy_Book/DOCS/05.html

In Chinese it is possible to compose a whole paragraph that consists of a string of homophones, as in the following oft-quoted example.

Shi shi shi shi shi shi, shi shi, shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi, shi shi shi shi shi, shi shi, shi shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi shi shi, shi shi shi, shi shi shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi shi shi shi, shi shi shi. Shi shi shi, shi shi shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi, shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi. Shi shi shi shi.

translation:

"A poet named Shi lived in a stone house and liked to eat lion flesh and he vowed to eat ten of them. He used to go to the market in search of lions and one day chanced to see ten of them there. Shi killed the lions with arrows and picked up their bodies carrying them back to his stone house. His house was dripping with water so he requested that his servants proceed to dry it. Then he began to try to eat the bodies of the ten lions. It was only then he realized that these were in fact ten lions made of stone. Try to explain the riddle. "

That's cool, but they are not homophones as in the buffalo example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom