• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Room's (E. Gone to the Rapture) studio head & composer is (sort of) leaving

SentryDown

Sad story, I hope she'll get better. The publisher part reminds me that we should have more stories about developer-publisher relations. People seems to assume publishing is evil but we also have stories of the opposite, I remember when Gearbox was accused of using Sega money to have more ressources on Borderlands instead of Aliens Colonial Marines.

Anyway, don't jump to conclusions too fast based on the publisher name (oh boy, if it was EA instead of Sony the thread would have been a lot more different) and a vague statement from one side, the whole picture with explicit examples from both sides may be completely different.

Shredderi

What a sad read. My first instinct is to hope that she'll get better, but I guess with her degenerative disease she won't... As always it's sad to hear about the stone-age part of the industry still being at large. You'd think that there wouldn't be these kinds of major hangups regarding women in the industry anymore. The husband saw it necessary to pitch her wife's idea as a man's idea in order to get it through? Shit we have a long and perilous way to go.

A Machine of Pigs was definitely not as acclaimed as the first game, but it is also a very different one and I get the feeling that you disregard it sorely because you don't like what the game focused. But since you are questioning Jessica's skills as a businesswoman, let's go back to sales. It got profitable in the first week. 120k. 400k in total (until October of 2013, so more now). SOMA sold 92k copies in 10 days. That's more time and fewer copies. And SOMA is being highly praised all over the press and with many fans. I don't have the numbers for Amnesia: Memories, but I don't think it sold as well. So this isn't because of a franchise or a studio behind it. It sold well

What's Amnesia Memories got to do with anything? Completely different IP by a Japanese dev, maybe some business research would help here.

Sony's probably less dickhead than other publishers but they're still dickheads in a dickhead industry. Also even on GAF people are quick to criticize "walking simulators" so Chinese Room probably didn't get the creative freedom of for example The Order 1886 devs.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Sony's probably less dickhead than other publishers but they're still dickheads in a dickhead industry. Also even on GAF people are quick to criticize "walking simulators" so Chinese Room probably didn't get the creative freedom of for example The Order 1886 devs.

We don't know exactly what the details of her grievances with the 'publisher' are though, and said publisher's side of the story.

As for her other problems, I get the impression that Dan let things slide instead of championing her.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We don't know exactly what the details of her grievances with the 'publisher' are though, and said publisher's side of the story.

As for her other problems, I get the impression that Dan let things slide instead of championing her.

And to be fair, that's what most of us guys do. We let sexism slide too often, in order that we don't ruffle too many feathers and get dirty.

Top Bottom