• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: Fast Food with 'Integrity' (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
yacobod said:
do you own stock in chipotle or something? u might be the first burrito fanboy on gaf :D

I should buy some Chipotle stock. I've been eating there for four years so yeah, I'm definitely a fanboy.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Javaman said:
What is it about grass that makes it better then other feed?

As far as free range goes...

I can't believe that people buy into this expensive advertising crap.

I can't believe you focus so much energy on bashing a restaurant.

ronito

I'll take a shredded beef burrito with some chips and a side of INTEGRITY!!

Honestly, how much did Chipolte pay for that article?

Macam

Banned
Meier said:
It's called Moe's Southwest Grill, so that probably is indeed it. Check it out, their food is amazing -- less than 6 bucks for a burrito and chips too which is hard to beat. They sell beer as well if you're feeling like a Corona or something.

I suppose I will. I don't know if they have another location or anything as getting to campus and parking is always an adventure, but I've passed it by a few times; the one here seems to hold regular Madden matches on an Xbox 360 they have hooked up. Coincidentally, there's a Chipotle three stores down from Moe's. The Chipotle near here also sells beer for the record, not that I ever drink at fast food joints generally.

levious said:
that's quite a fantasy perception. No one spends $6.50 plus at a typical fast-food restaurant.

I forgot to mention that i used to eat a Grande Meal (10 tacos) by myself as a meal back in the day at Taco Bell; hell, I even did 10 chalupas on an occasion. That used to ring me close to $10, or $15 with the chalupas. Naturally, I cut that out the instant some genius at the chain decided to put the nutritional information on the front of their tray placemats. And no, I wasn't overweight...though I can't claim to have been healthy by any means. That's what college is for though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Here it is straight from Chipotle's supplier:

http://www.nimanranch.com/is-bin/IN...00QLCyUa.Db90000x9cLg4jy?Page=content/OurPork

I was wrong on Grass fed.

Reviving the Family Farm
We raise our hogs on family farms in the Midwest on open pasture and deeply bedded pens without the use of antibiotics or other artificial growth promotants. This is the old-fashioned way to raise hogs, which we think produces great eating pork, is humane to the animals and is kind to the earth.

Most hogs in the U.S. today are raised in confinement factories. We think these factories are bad for the environment, bad for the hogs and produce inferior-tasting pork. Because each factory facility can contain thousands of animals, they feed the hogs antibiotics as part of their diet. Because they are weaned at a very young age, they are not given the time to build up natural antibodies.

Our hogs are allowed to run, roam and root. They are weaned at seven weeks, never given antibiotics, and are fed only the finest grains and natural ingredients.

Taste
Because our hogs live most of their lives outdoors, they need an extra thick layer of back fat for insulation in the hot Midwest summers and the cold winters. The fat also brings with it superior marbling, flavor, tenderness and palatability.

Environmentally Sound
We raise our hogs according to strict protocols developed by the Animal Welfare Institute. We feed our hogs corn and soy bean meal. We rotate our hogs from field to field, allowing them to root around in fallow fields. We replenish the fields with manure from their beds. Although this traditional system requires more hard work than the modern confinement alternative, it produces little to no odor, helps preserves water supplies, and sustains the land and community for future generations.

We process our pork in Iowa, then ship it fresh, never frozen, to our processing facility in Oakland and distribute to fine restaurants and markets across the country.

Niman Ranch pork is available for on-line purchase. Visit our Niman Ranch Online Market to place your order. See Where to Buy for a complete list of retailers and Where to Eat for a listing of restaurants that serve Niman Ranch meat.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Javaman said:

As far as free range goes...

I can't believe that people buy into this expensive advertising crap.

You highlighted the part about free range eggs. Good job. The part about beef and pork is interesting, but I would assume Chipotle's free range pork is on par with the definition for free range chickens.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:

Well, instead of pigs and cows eating a mixture of ground up roadkill, other dead cows (cannibalism..mmm), and some grains and other stuff they're eating real grass. You know, the stuff they're supposed to eat?

chipotle is the ****ing shit. honestly i eat there 3-5 times a week. why? well first off there is one right down the street from me. secondly the price is definitely worth it. but most importantly the food doesn't make me feel sluggish or groggy. if i eat burger king or carl's for 3 days straight, i honestly feel like crap. not so with chipotle. oh, and also it takes them about 30 seconds to finish my order! go chipotle!!!

impirius

We're getting a Chipotle nearby in Chapel Hill. I am intrigued by food that stirs up such GAF controversy.

All this talk about burritos... I gotta go to Moe's now.

Gruco

Banned
Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
Local Burrito joints ftw. I can go to Willy's, a local place that has been doing this for more than 12 years. Or Raging Burrito, where I can get awesome shit like seasoned potatoes in my burrito or the tasty Sidney Salad Burrito.
The ever-growing popularity of Chipotle/Moe's/Qdoba around ATL is downright depressing. I worry that Willy's is gonna get squeezed out before too long.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
as an aside to Duderon's post, Omnivore's Dilemma goes over this whole 'organic' and 'free-range' marketing term pretty candidly. don't buy the hype.

Snah

Banned
as an aside to Duderon's post, Omnivore's Dilemma goes over this whole 'organic' and 'free-range' marketing term pretty candidly. don't buy the hype.

It's only marketing hype in as much as the standards for 'organic and free-range' are pretty laughable.

If a food, such as eggs, is truly free-range and organic (as they used to be prior to huge supermarkets) then it is certainly better than the eggs produced by chickens restricted to cages and fed garbage.

For instance, cows fed grass produce 5x the amount of CLA than cows fed grains and has a decent amount of vitamin D. Now milk has to be fortified because the nutritional content is so low.

It's also pretty funny that some people here promote 'soy burgers' as healthy, while meat isn't. That's terribly far from the truth. Soy burgers are processed garbage, if you consume meat as intended with minimal processing, it's a perfectly healthy food.

Belfast

Moe's FTW. Kicks the shit out of Chipotle. Chipotle tries to shove so much "fresh and herb/spiced up ingredients" into its burritos that they all end up cancelling each other out and the whole thing just tastes bland and flavorless. The burrito alone is more expensive than most and then you have to pay extra for both chips and a drink.

edit: special shoutout to Freebirds though. My sis went to university at College Station, so I've eaten there a few times and enjoyed it when I did.

Gruco

Banned
scorcho said:
I still think organic is useful as it applies to produce. But yeah, it's pretty amazing how far removed "free range" and "organic" animal products are from the images people generally have of them.

sonatinas

Since moving to Portland from Tennessee I've been subjected to these western chains. I found Chipolte to be pretty good; however, the task of assembling the tacos was pretty messy. I also had the same complaint with Taco Del Mar. Either way 100x better than Taco Bell. Is Baha Fresh any good?

baja fresh is ok. their baja burrito is pretty good, and their chips are good (hard to **** up tortilla chips), but it's nothing special.

poquito mas and chipotle are tops in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom