• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle shuts Virginia store after reports of illnesses consistent with norovirus

Starviper

If it's contained to a single location I imagine the blame would end up being on the employees not being sanitary or following protocol. Guess we'll see soon enough. The last thing Chipotle would want to do is shut down a location due to more norovirus scares.

Had it once before, felt like I was gonna die. All I could do was drink enough water to stay hydrated while my body removed anything and everything from my digestive system.

norm9

Taco Bell is laughing all the way to the bank.

weak_shell_taco_blowoutgif.gif

I feel like this probably happens at all these trendy 'all organic' places, we just don't hear about them because they aren't as big as Chipotle. It seems like forgoing modern industrial food distribution practices in favor of unorthodox systems and techniques at a large scale seem to be the culprit.

Futureman

I feel like this probably happens at all these trendy 'all organic' places, we just don't hear about them because they aren't as big as Chipotle. It seems like forgoing modern industrial food distribution practices in favor of unorthodox systems and techniques at a large scale seem to be the culprit.

I didn't read that article linked above, but I thought the issue was thought to be an employee/food prep issue. Nothing to do with organic or not.

Kayhan

Shit and vomit is what you get for eating industrialized fast food, GAF.

It is just the reality of it. Please watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones.

Apt101

How hard is it to make a burrito without poisoning someone?

I see Chipotle is a big "Non-GMO" outfit. When I hear that it makes me think it's run by idiots with poor standards, and supplied with shitty and unsafe product.

This is also the company that forces part time, uninsured employees to produce doctor's notes for any sick day - which means they're essentially encouraging people to work sick. With that in mind, imagine how utterly atrocious the rest of their safety-related practices must be.

shira

I still eat at the local Chipotle's around these parts with no issues. It's my favorite quick restaurant. I'd be sad if this happened around here in such a way that locations would need to close down.
It doesn't mean that there isn't norovirus because YOU didn't get sick. You could have a higher tolerance. But say a child or senior went in.

slit

Probably hard for them because they want an image of being wholesome and preservative free for millennials but that is causing problems with diseases at this point.

commedieu

Banned
Probably hard for them because they want an image of being wholesome and rejecting preservatives for millennials but that is causing problems with diseases at this point.

bullshit. Millenials aren't eating out -- they are staying home and eating their own food/moms! The food industry is blaming us for their shitty performances.

GodofWine

After these stories, and watching too much Kitchen Nightmares (I cannot turn away and usually root for mouse poop to be found), my family eats mostly home cooked food now...which is a good thing in so many ways (money, health mainly).

I trust pizza though. It comes out of the over, doesn't touch any hands.

Has anyone noticed that Chipotle isn't really popular anymore?

I live in a big city, and before the first e. coli drama happened, Chipotle was constantly packed.

I feel like people learned to live without it after they had to avoid it for a few months and they just never bounced back.

Even highest end restaurants tend treat the vast majority of their staff like shit. Cutting corners is a science in food service.
Yep that was my understanding as well. I don't feel more worried eating at a chipotle than at any other restaurant, they all treat staff poorly and get health code citations from inspectors.

norm9

bullshit. Millenials aren't eating out -- they are staying home and eating their own food/moms! The food industry is blaming us for their shitty performances.

All I see are millenials eating out. They're spending their underpaid wages at restaurants instead of saving.

The Lamp

Really hard when your company and customers don't understand science enough that they want the most obscure suppliers to meet their useless, stupid antibiotic-free, free-range, grass-fed meat requirements on a supply scale as large as chipotle.

This is false. There have been a multitude of articles disproving your claim. Millenials spend most of their money on dining experiences and travel.

commedieu

Banned
All I see are millenials eating out. They're spending their underpaid wages at restaurants instead of saving.

ur a resturant.

This is false. There have been a multitude of articles disproving your claim. Millenials spend most of their money on dining experiences and travel.

I was referencing the uhm, outback/chillis thread. Some horrible food place, oh right, Buffalo Wild Wings, was pinning their shoddy sales decline on millenials eating at home and not sifting through their food troughs.

kmfdmpig

Its still so surreal. I remember like ~5 years ago, the line at the Chipolte would be going out the door and then the first reports came in of people getting sick and it was a ghost town. While I haven't been able to go back to the same Chipolte(moved out of state) the one nearby was always pretty much empty except maybe 1-2 people.

But yeah, if you were one of the few people willing to give them another shot (I think I had a burrito ~4-5 months ago) they probably won't be coming back(I know I won't, not that I visite regularly anyway)

Yup, it's as hard and steep a fall from grace as I can remember. Krispy Kreme dropped pretty quickly as well, but not like this.

The thing that really bugs me about chipotle (aside from the, you know, disease) is the anti-GMO rhetoric. I just want a golden rice burrito, is that so much to ask?

Really hard when your company and customers don't understand science enough that they want the most obscure suppliers to meet their useless, stupid antibiotic-free, free-range, grass-fed meat requirements on a supply scale as large as chipotle.
Doesn't grass fed meat taste better or at least different? It's not like the organic scam.

GodofWine

I wonder if the money they lose over all this could have been offset by spending a small portion of it on paying people more, training people more, and therefore having people work a bit more responsibly.

Or maybe be having one additional staff member on per shift so that when people take a break, or an unscheduled 'but I gotta go now' break, they don't have to rush back.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Lines used to be out the door, from noon to 9, now there's 3 people there usually.

kmfdmpig

I had the norovirus a few years back. I lived on the toilet for 48 hours.

My wife, young daughter, and I all caught it a few years ago. Luckily my wife and I had it a few days apart so we were able to take care of my daughter well. It was probably some of the worst 72 hours any of us had experienced. I remember being excited that I was able to consume vitamin water as I couldn't keep anything down.

compo

Banned
Oh boy, that's only one town over from where I work. I think I'm going to go to Moe's for lunch instead this week, just in case.

Magnus

Place is run for shit here in Canada. It's markedly worse than literally every other burrito joint in every way - customer service, price, ingredient quality - hell, they don't even warm or toast your burrito. They looked at me like I was an idiot when we asked. Every other joint does it. Every one.

Damn the woosah, captain. Are you saying people are injesting Chipotle employee poop particles?

Noro is incredibly contagious. This could just mean the normal fecal particulate you would be in contact with in the normal course of the day, just because that shit is all around us.

Chipotle's biggest sin, other than poisoning you, is serving those POS mission style burritos. San Diego style is a lot better.

Seriously. Beans and rice can kindly get the fuck out of my burrito. Meat, Pico, Guac is all you need! And a proper lightly toasted burrito.

Is weird this company keeps getting health scare issues.

Here in Los Angeles , every chipotle I see has far less foot traffic since the first one. Not only that , but their other chain called Shop House has closed both of its locations I'm aware of.

Realeza

Banned
Noro is incredibly contagious. This could just mean the normal fecal particulate you would be in contact with in the normal course of the day, just because that shit is all around us.

Seriously. Beans and rice can kindly get the fuck out of my burrito. Meat, Pico, Guac is all you need! And a proper lightly toasted burrito.

Weirdo. No beans and rice on a burrito is like no cheese on a pizza flmao.

geestack

I wonder if the money they lose over all this could have been offset by spending a small portion of it on paying people more, training people more, and therefore having people work a bit more responsibly.

Or maybe be having one additional staff member on per shift so that when people take a break, or an unscheduled 'but I gotta go now' break, they don't have to rush back.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Lines used to be out the door, from noon to 9, now there's 3 people there usually.

you would think so, but the article mentions this and basically chipotle is a silicon valley company HQ'ed in denver:

Some company observers believe that if Chipotle led the Fight for $15—effectively extending Food With Integrity to the people who serve it—it could help the company reduce turnover, improve training and food safety, better its relationship with its low-level employees, and change the narrative around the company in the wake of this crisis.

Hartung disagrees that it would reduce turnover. “The idea that $15 will solve things, I think it solves it temporarily,” he says.

Not long ago, I spoke with a current crew-level employee who has been with the company for almost two years. He works around 40 hours a week, believes in the Food With Integrity mission, and can handle the line and grills during the lunch rush. “It’s overwhelming, very stressful. The line never dies, sometimes for three hours,” he says. And yet, “The most raise I ever got was 10 cents, up from $9 per hour.”

Top Bottom