• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

Enco

Game mode is shown in the map name.

ffa = Free For All

koh = King of the Hill

to = Objective

lts = Last Team Standing

tdm = Team Deathmatch

If you want to search for specific modes you can just type the desired mode in the map filter.
I know but its just seems like stupid design. Why not have a normal setup with a column for game mode that you can sort in order?

It would be a lot easier.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
At $12.50 I had to sink in to it since my brother had been raving about it to me since it was released. I was still a little hesitant after being slightly burned with War of the Roses, but I enjoyed the initial mod and grabbed it anyway.

Spent almost 2hrs laughing my arse off. I went from typical Man-At-Arms with sword & board but by the end of it all I was a bare-fisted lunatic screaming "Help!" constantly throughout the battlefields. Threw in a bit of guerrilla style of fighting in an arena and the points racked up despite never landing a killer blow. I enjoy the fact that there are multiple ways to fight despite the class you choose.

So I guess the word of mouth is strong since this is #1 top seller for the Steam sale day. The servers were packed to the brim. One guy lost his shit when I threw a bottle of fire on the ground and he backed in to it leading to a TK - I got the boot because I told him to chill out haha. But TK seems to be unavoidable in such a mess at times. Hopefully once things settle down then people will stop swinging their weapons like a bat at anything that moves. I've already seen some quality 1v1 duels in the pitch of a battle so it's all good.

P.S. Running down a battlefield with everyone screaming before hitting the enemy is sublime.

Haha. I had not seen the battle royale. Total Biscuit did better than I expected; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSXM7znmx0&feature=plcp

It's funny when he talks about the broad horizontal swings. Jedi Knight II Outcast online was also like this.

We need more sword, martial arts, melee based games. I would be happy if it took a large chunk of the shooter base. It's a fantastic feeling to make a virtual hero character and then destroying people with a giant Zweihander. and its so beautiful and poetic. Swords are the sexiest weapons ever.

taku

I just started playing Chivalry and this game is quite fun. Very buggy (incredibly so), but still fun..

I noticed the "Reach Level 5 / Reach Level 10 / And so on" achievements in my steam profile and I have 0 points gathered so far. What is this? How do you "level" in this game?

Edit:

Okay, so I guess I'll answer my own question.
It seems that you rank up by unlocking new weapons. You can see your rank while in game by holding TAB.
And lastly, the "Reach Level X" steam achievements not working properly is a known bug..

Sullichin

Didn't know this game existed until yesterday and I was up until 5AM playing it. It's incredibly fun. The melee combat is so well done - I think games like Skyrim should steal it. I've mostly been doing FFA and Team Deathmatch to get accustomed to the combat/move sets/classes. Seems like there's a lot of fun to be had in the objective game modes but simply lopping off someone's head with a Zweihander doesn't seem like it's going to get old any time soon! I like the Vanguard class the most. Not sure if it's a very noob friendly class or if it just fits my playstyle well. The KB/M controls are great, I actually think the scroll wheel for stab / overhead attack works really well. Gotta check it out on a controller to see how that feels. The graphics, while pretty and detailed, are lacking a bit in the personality department, but only marginally so. The ruins map in particular looks great. I'm really impressed that this is a kickstarter game. And i'm really happy that they plan on supporting it with free content updates. This is a lot of value for the current Steam sale price!

Gotta befriend some GAF (!my steam username is the same as my handle here!) because the community in this game seems very unfriendly. The chat is rife with people complaining about cheap kills, and I had this one guy tell me that I suck at this game four times over the course of a match, which was in fact my very first match I've ever played. I went on to get far more kills than him the next couple of matches but didn't feel the need insult him :p I think every online multiplayer lobby has the one guy who blames every single one of his deaths and mistakes on "broken" gameplay mechanics or lag. Kind of wish I had "chill out" on macro.

ShaneB

Player explosion. Been a while since I hopped into the game, but man it was hard finding a not full server! I know that's a good problem to have, but damn!
KuGsj.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh god, this game is so funny. It totally went under my radar for waaay to long. I didn't even know about it's kickstarter before it was finally funded and already closed.

So glad I managed to get this on this sale. Now if only it had a Single Player component... or a working tutorial.. :D

ShaneB

How is the 360 controller for this game? Passable?

I played with a controller a few times, it seemed perfectly fine. I think the only issue is that there is no option to rebind controller buttons.

I briefly mentioned this in the Steam thread, but with the player explosion, has there been any thought to creating a private gaf server and organizing some games?

Sullichin

Player explosion. Been a while since I hopped into the game, but man it was hard finding a not full server! I know that's a good problem to have, but damn!
KuGsj.gif
I can always join games when it says the servers are full. I don't think the player counts are very accurate. There are a lot of people playing at any given time though.

I briefly mentioned this in the Steam thread, but with the player explosion, has there been any thought to creating a private gaf server and organizing some games?
That would be awesome!

How is the 360 controller for this game? Passable?
I used the PS3 controller with motioninjoy and it worked well. But I think I prefer kb/m on default kb/m with a couple of changes

NeoGAF Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Official Steam Group - Join this group to meet and play with other NeoGAF members.

For everyone picking this up due to the recent sale, don't forget to join the NeoGAF Steam group! It makes it a lot easier to jump into games with other gaffers. It says the group is 'Private' if you view it from the web but it is definitely set to 'Public' - It's some kind of weird Steam bug. Try searching for it via the Steam Community in your Steam client or just PM me if you have any difficulty joining and I'll send an invite your way.

ShaneB

Just had a great game with some fellow gaffers. Team Deathmatch isn't my thing so much as it turns into pretty random chaos, but was still a blast regardless :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Every single time I play there is a moment of hilarity somewhere.

I was in a Last Man Standing round and I was given the unfortunate position of being the last one up with three people to kill. I put away my sword & board and proceeded to (luckily) bludgeon them to death with my fists. My whole team went nuts when the last man fell at my feet.

I also managed to boot someone in to the water hazard during a map. Had a good long laugh at that one.

Man, I'm having a problem. When I click server list no servers show up. So strange considering it was working perfectly last night. I've tried using this to fix it, but no luck. Was really hoping to play tonight :( Any ideas?

Babalu.

so can anyone explain a little bit about some of the more advanced techniques?

I heard you can feint and do other little advanced moves.

I feel like I'm just running around swinging and when I get into a 1v1 it goes like this:

swing (opponent blocks) - block (opponnent swings) - swing (opponent blocks) - block (opponnent swings)

forever until someone tries one of those wonky kicks that seem to be effected by lag and continue the above or until someone else comes and kills one of us from behind.

I guess what i'm asking is are there any tips for new players? Strategies for certain weapons?

Ferrio

Banned
so can anyone explain a little bit about some of the more advanced techniques?

I heard you can feint and do other little advanced moves.

I feel like I'm just running around swinging and when I get into a 1v1 it goes like this:

swing (opponent blocks) - block (opponnent swings) - swing (opponent blocks) - block (opponnent swings)

forever until someone tries one of those wonky kicks that seem to be effected by lag and continue the above or until someone else comes and kills one of us from behind.

I guess what i'm asking is are there any tips for new players? Strategies for certain weapons?

Play the tutorial?

One useful tip that worked for me is missing purposefully with your first swing a then hitting with the backswing. Feinting works well too. For me it came down to some minor mind games. If you do what hey expect it's pretty easy to block incoming attacks.

Amagon

I did play the tutorial. it taught me how to block, horizontal slash on a wood, vertical slash on a wood, and a poke on a wood. Then it ended.

was there something more I missed?

I suggest watching some videos on youtube for advance training tips.

Ghost23

I just installed this game, but for some reason I am getting terrible frame rates. My specs are:

i7 3630
gtx 680m
16gb ram

Obviously I shouldnt be getting 15fps the whole time. What's up?

taku

I just installed this game, but for some reason I am getting terrible frame rates. My specs are:

i7 3630
gtx 680m
16gb ram

Obviously I shouldnt be getting 15fps the whole time. What's up?
Go into My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
Search for "MinCompressedDurationGame" and set it to "3"

See if that helps. (Do tell us if it does, I'm at work so I haven't tried it)

Babalu.

Go into My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
Search for "MinCompressedDurationGame" and set it to "3"

See if that helps. (Do tell us if it does, I'm at work so I haven't tried it)

my internet is really bad (clear wireless) so there are ever really a handful of servers that are under 100ms ping.

I ALWAYS click on those servers even though they say they are full and always get in. I think only 1 time out of 100 it said the server was actually full and didnt let me in, then i reclicked and was able to enter.

So i never trust the 32/32 24/24 full servers and can always just join.

kind of strange.

mrgone

I thought the server count was a bug and not server owners lying.

It could be - looking at the player list of some of the servers with inflated player numbers there are a bunch of names with play times of like 40-50 hours and such. That could a bug with the way servers are handling disconnects, but it's probably faked players. Dealing with all manners of faked player numbers with Half-Life and Source engine games for years and years (and years) it's definitely not out of character for hosts to be pulling that shit :p

It's generally been a non-issue to get on populated servers in the evenings, though, even with the player counts being weird. My initial comment was after a streak of five populated-yet-empty servers that killed my urge to continue trying that morning :)

Grief.exe

It's generally been a non-issue to get on populated servers in the evenings, though, even with the player counts being weird. My initial comment was after a streak of five populated-yet-empty servers that killed my urge to continue trying that morning :)

Yep. Trying to get into a server right now and they are all empty even though showing players.

The worst part is when I join a game and then leave, it kills my modem.

I have to do a hard reset to get it back online.

Top Bottom