• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Christie Is Joining the White House to Fight Drug Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://time.com/4716397/chris-christie-donald-trump-drug-comission/
(WASHINGTON) — After being unceremoniously dropped from President Donald Trump's transition team, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is dipping his toes into the administration as he takes the lead of a White House commission to combat drug addiction.

Christie was at the White House Tuesday, meeting with members of the administration in preparation for the commission rollout. On Wednesday morning, he and President Trump will host an opioid and drug abuse listening session at the White House to formally kick off the effort.

It's a familiar setting for the governor, who has made fighting heroin and prescription drug abuse a centerpiece of his administration.

He spoke extensively about the issue during his own presidential bid and has dedicated his final year in office to addressing the drug crisis. Last month, he signed legislation that limits first-time opioid prescriptions to five days' worth of drugs and requires state-regulated health insurers to cover at least six months of substance abuse treatment.

zxUFvlb.png

give me no self control if old.

funny how self control somehow applies to weed but not, idk, 2000 extra calories a day

mnannola

Donald Trump: Ok everyone, which department do you absolutely despise? That is the one I want you to be the head of.

Pastry

Banned
Chris Christie in here talking about self control, maybe if he closes all the bridges no drugs will get through

I remember all those Libertarian leaning Trunp supporters who said Trunp would be cool with the pot. And the most gay friendly President ever.

Heroin and prescription drug abuse is a real problem, and Christie has actually done an admirable job tackling this. The recent New Jersey legislation that he signed -- sponsored by Democrats by the way -- is modeled after Massachusetts' opioid bill from last year, both of which have had positive starts.

I'm sure Christie's position on marijuana is stupid as fuck, but he deserves credit for working with his liberal state legislature to lead on opioid abuse bills, not derision.

If you feel like you want to immediately be against Christie's signed bill on opioid abuse, do a mental exercise and see how you respond. Instead of reading it as "Christie's Opioid Legislation" read it as "New Jersey Democrats Opioid Legislation," because the bill was sponsored by Democrats, supported and signed by Christie. Similar to Massachusetts' opioid bill from 2016.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure Christie's position on marijuana is stupid as fuck, but he deserves credit for working with his liberal state legislature to lead on opioid abuse bills, not derision.

Thanks for doing one good thing in your life Christie, you gluttonous hypocritical piece of shit.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol at attacking liberals as the ones with no self control with drugs. How much of a partisan fuck do you have to be to say that.

Mr. X

Heroin and prescription drug abuse is a real problem, and Christie has actually done an admirable job tackling this. The recent New Jersey legislation that he signed -- sponsored by Democrats by the way -- is modeled after Massachusetts' opioid bill from last year, both of which have had positive starts.

If you feel like you want to immediately be against Christie's signed bill on opioid abuse, do a mental exercise and see how you respond. Instead of reading it as "Christie's Opioid Legislation" read it as "New Jersey Democrats Opioid Legislation," because the bill was sponsored by Democrats, supported and signed by Christie. Similar to Massachusetts' opioid bill from 2016.
This. He's a schmuck but at least didn't put party over a real issue and worked with NJ dems.

Slayven

We going to act like Christie is going to have any authority in this administration?

Why are you acting like people ITT are shitting on NJ's opioid bill? No one is doing that.

Your post is based on a flawed premise: that those complaining are automatically against the bill Christie signed to fight opioid abuse. No one ITT is taking that stance, rendering the position you detail in your post a straw man.

Rather, people are worried about what this could mean for marijuana legalization. So far, this administration has done more to signal that they will be cracking down on marijuana legalization than actually focusing on opioid abuse, their solution for which is mostly a fucking border wall. Still feel like dismissing everyone's complaints?

Ryuukan

He jailed Jared Kushner's dad but I guess this is payback from Trump for Jared going skiing while the AHCA bill was dying

Slayven

Why are you acting like people ITT are shitting on NJ's opioid bill? No one is doing that.

Your post is based on a flawed premise: that those complaining are automatically against the bill Christie signed to fight opioid abuse. No one ITT is taking that stance, rendering the position you detail in your post a straw man.

Rather, people are worried about what this could mean for marijuana legalization. So far, this administration has done more to signal that they will be cracking down on marijuana legalization than actually focusing on opioid abuse, their solution for which is mostly a fucking border wall. Still feel like dismissing everyone's complaints?

This, and also people stop with "he will stir trump in the right direction" bullshit. How you going to fight drug addiction and gut mental health at the same time??

Dude, get off your high horse talking about straw mans and this bull shit. I'm not straw manning anyone. Just because you've seen other people on the internet use the phrase "straw man" when arguing with someone doesn't mean it applies to every instance of when you might argue with someone. I guess what you want is for me to shit post "LOL Chris Christie is Fat Go Eat Another Bacon Cheese Burger Chris!" Those sorts of posts don't make you upset, but posts that are relevant to the actual topic are "straw men" to you.

I don't even like Christie, he's a fucking hypocritical clown, but if he's on a panel on Opioid Abuse then I think it's worth bringing up that of American governors, he actually has a strong record of doing something on Opioid abuse.

From the OP:

On Wednesday morning, he and President Trump will host an opioid and drug abuse listening session at the White House to formally kick off the effort.

It seems completely relevant to bring up Christie's position on opioid legislation... given that they're hosting a listening session that explicitly mentions opioid abuse. Like I said, I'm sure he's a fucking idiot when it comes to marijuana, but he worked with his state legislature to pass a Democratic-sponsored bill trying to do something about opioid abuse and so as far as people in Trump's circle, Christie would probably be an improvement.

Now, does this mean that he's going to influence Donald Trump to do something good about opioid abuse? Probably not. Trump seems impervious to reason and Sessions, his AG, seems to think tackling marijuana smokers is a comparable problem to heroin and oxy addicts. But in so far as there is a thread about Chris Christie having somethign to do with opioid control, my post mentioning that he has a strong record of working with Democrats in his state legislature to pass bills tackling the opioid epidemic is relevant and meaningful.

But, I guess I should just say "Lol fat fuck eat cheese curd bruh"

We going to act like Christie is going to have any authority in this administration?

Well, that's sort of the premise of this thread, isn't it?

bunbun777

Well the only way to actually fight addiction is to stop making drugs illegal. Then we can actually start helping people and stop treating addicts as criminals.

(I know some addicts commit other crimes but that's not the real issue.)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I guess what you want is for me to shit post "LOL Chris Christie is Fat Go Eat Another Bacon Cheese Burger Chris!" Those sorts of posts don't make you upset, but posts that are relevant to the actual topic are "straw men" to you.
The posts aren't that extreme.

It's reasonable to question someone's sincerity towards bettering the health of their country when it's possible their own personal issues exceed that of what they are critisizing.

Its kind of concerning.

The posts aren't that extreme.

It's reasonable to question someone's sincerity towards bettering the health of their country when it's possible their own personal issues exceed that of what they are critisizing.

Its kind of concerning.

Yawn. It's not that it's an inaccurate point, how can a fat person be trusted to do anything, right? It's that I appreciated that my post, relevant to the OP, upset someone, meanwhile the half dozen posts that are about Chris Christie being fat are relevant, quality posts to that person, and that's who I was replying to.

The thread should just be called "Chris Christie is Fat" and it should be photos of Chris Christie eating cheeseburgers. In fact, every thread ever mentioning Chris Christie again should just be "Chris Christie is Fat" and it should be photos of him licking cheeto dust off of his grubby thumbs.

Also, taking a moment to think about your point, no it's not reasonable. Should a person who struggles with mental health issues not be able to influence legislation about other health topics? I'm absolutely overweight by 20+ lbs, that doesn't disqualify me from thinking that we have a serious problem with opioids in the country or that the country should spend more money on outdoor activities for kids. Similarly, Barack Obama smoked cigarettes for most of his adult life... Should that disqualify him from "having sincerity about bettering the health of the country" ? No, that's not reasonable. People can have their own addictions, health problems, personal concerns, and that doesn't disqualify them from passing effective legislation about serious and grave issues.

Dude, get off your high horse talking about straw mans and this bull shit. I'm not straw manning anyone. Just because you've seen other people on the internet use the phrase "straw man" when arguing with someone doesn't mean it applies to every instance of when you might argue with someone. I guess what you want is for me to shit post "LOL Chris Christie is Fat Go Eat Another Bacon Cheese Burger Chris!" Those sorts of posts don't make you upset, but posts that are relevant to the actual topic are "straw men" to you.

I don't even like Christie, he's a fucking hypocritical clown, but if he's on a panel on Opioid Abuse then I think it's worth bringing up that of American governors, he actually has a strong record of doing something on Opioid abuse.

From the OP:

On Wednesday morning, he and President Trump will host an opioid and drug abuse listening session at the White House to formally kick off the effort.

It seems completely relevant to bring up Christie's position on opioid legislation... given that they're hosting a listening session that explicitly mentions opioid abuse. Like I said, I'm sure he's a fucking idiot when it comes to marijuana, but he worked with his state legislature to pass a Democratic-sponsored bill trying to do something about opioid abuse and so as far as people in Trump's circle, Christie would probably be an improvement.

Now, does this mean that he's going to influence Donald Trump to do something good about opioid abuse? Probably not. Trump seems impervious to reason and Sessions, his AG, seems to think tackling marijuana smokers is a comparable problem to heroin and oxy addicts. But in so far as there is a thread about Chris Christie having somethign to do with opioid control, my post mentioning that he has a strong record of working with Democrats in his state legislature to pass bills tackling the opioid epidemic is relevant and meaningful.

But, I guess I should just say "Lol fat fuck eat cheese curd bruh"

LOL. Whoa there, settle down champ. Here's what you said:

Except, wait: (1) no one in this thread is deriding Christie for his support of NJ's opioid bills, and (2) no one in this thread ever indicated that they wanted "to immediately be against Christie's signed bill on opioid abuse." Literally no one made any comment that suggested either of those things. You cooked those positions up in your post and proceeded to respond to these made-up positions. A straw man is giving the impression of refuting a position while actually refuting a position that was never advanced. That is exactly what you did by suggesting that people ITT were deriding Christie for his opioid bills or arguing against his opioid bills when, in fact, no one ever took those positions.

You set up artificial arguments that would be easy for you to knock down because you apparently thought it important to point out that Christie has supported opioid abuse prevention in the past. That's fine if you want to point that out, but don't do so by misrepresenting what others in this thread are saying just so you can make your point a little snappier.

Also, nothing in my post or post history suggests that I wanted you to make a fat joke about Christie. Making fat jokes is fucking stupid and a distraction from the real issue. Indicating that I was supportive of that or wanted you to do the same is disingenuous and - wow, what do you know! - a misrepresentation of what I posted. Seems like you have a problem with doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom