• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) has died

Pookmunki

Yes it is. I've just come back from the doctor diagnosing me with a medium degree depression and putting me on antidepressants. I had beaten it a few years ago, but my life has been so full of negative that it has come back, and I've been suffering for more than two years now, and today was the day that I decided to try and fight it again.

Good for you, you got this!

Yes it is. I've just come back from the doctor diagnosing me with a medium degree depression and putting me on antidepressants. I had beaten it a few years ago, but my life has been so full of negative that it has come back, and I've been suffering for more than two years now, and today was the day that I decided to try and fight it again.

I was there too a few years ago when my beloved father passed away. But my dad said to always stay away from antidepressants unless absolutely necessary and if there was no other way. But we are all different and for some it can be life saving. For him it was a gift and a curse really. Keep your head up man and be strong.

Patrick S.

Banned
Thank you guys. The doctor was recommending I should go for stationary treatment for six weeks, but I can't. My wife would definitely leave me, and in a week and a half I'm starting training with the goal of learning a new job, via the local employment office. I'm afraid of the medicine, and the last time I was in treatment I threw it away after a few days because it was an opioid I didn't want to take. Let's see how this stuff goes.

Ogni-XR21

Thank you guys. The doctor was recommending I should go for stationary treatment for six weeks, but I can't. My wife would definitely leave me, and in a week and a half I'm starting training with the goal of learning a new job, via the local employment office. I'm afraid of the medicine, and the last time I was in treatment I threw it away after a few days because it was an opioid I didn't want to take. Let's see how this stuff goes.

I was diagnosed with a medium episode a few weeks ago too and was also hesistant on taking the medicine (Citalopram) but I just had to do something about it. While it took a few weeks to fully take effect I am much better now. So go for it and don't give up after a few days as this stuff takes some time to work.

AudioNoir

Banned
Man, I thought today would be easier, but it still feels like yesterday.

I felt a little embarrassed with myself for being this affected by a singer's passing. Someone I'd never met. It's gotta be weird for folks who don't get like this when an actor/singer/writer or whatever dies. We look like hypersensitive loons.

What upsets me most, and brings me back to Robin Williams, is that you have these people who hurt so much every day, and expose that hurt to the world in some form or another as entertainment. Some people get entertained, pure and simple, but then you've got other people hurting who find comfort in these guys. Their work is therapeutic. It heals and helps and pushes us through the worst. It's comforting in a way to read through this thread and see how many other people, like myself, who deal with depression and found relief in Cornell's music.

Losing Cornell and Williams is like watching two painfully relatable souls succumb to what they themselves were helping us through. It's a strange sort of pain.

Patrick S.

Banned
I was diagnosed with a medium episode a few weeks ago too and was also hesistant on taking the medicine (Citalopram) but I just had to do something about it. While it took a few weeks to fully take effect I am much better now. So go for it and don't give up after a few days as this stuff takes some time to work.

All the best to you! I've been prescribed Venlafaxin, in a low dose. The doc said it's about half the regular dose, and if need be she can prescribe four times as much. I admit I'm not too fond on taking the stuff, but hey, if it will help me get better, I will.

A friend of mine can be a bit..... inconsiderate is probably the right word. Basically he says "yeah ok, so a talented artist I have never heard of was depressed and is now dead. It sucks but maybe we should be thinking more of all the children in war torn countries fighting for their lives each and every day." and basically he always says something similar whenever a well known artist or actor dies. Like when Robin Williams passed away, Prince, Bowie and so on. His tune was a bit different when MJ passed away but only because he was aware of my appreciation for the man.

I just don't understand this kind of logic. Terrible things happen daily, hell probably ever single minute in this world but that doesn't make this any less insignificant or anything. It's clear that we think in a very different way about certain things.

Jesus, he said that? And here I thought that man was happy as can be. But then again, that's based on how he is during his shows and interviews. He lives when on stage and you can be in a completely different mind state during a interview but just not showing it.

Depression is nothing to take lightly and is very very serious.

Rest in peace Chris.

Yes he talks about it openly in an interview on the Skavlan talkshow. Been in therapy for 30 + years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZWmpWbinY

Also his autobiography that is written by himself, huge portions of that book is about his illness. Its a real tearjerker that book.

Yes he talks about it openly in an interview on the Skavlan talkshow. Been in therapy for 30 + years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZWmpWbinY

Also his autobiography that is written by himself, huge portions of that book is about his illness. Its a real tearjerker that book.

Well damn, man that just shows you how someone can appear to be so uplifting and happy and always in a good state of mind but something entirely is going on inside that head. Reminds me of my sweet father so so much. Always cheery when around his sons but at the same time very very negative things when on inside his head,negative thoughts overall.

I definitely hope Bruce can perform for a long time to come, because sitting at home and not doing what he loves so much sure doesn't sound like what he needs.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mind Riot

Pretty sure I'm just listening to Chris for a good week.

Any newbies with Spotify/Apple, I implore you to start at the Soundgarden page and raid that whole thing from top to bottom.

Mind Riot is awesome, probably my favorite song off of Batmotorfinger. Not much mention of pre A&M Soundgarden, Gotta love Hunted Down, the grunge version of Immigrant Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmHozPLY2Ig
There's some great stuff on Louder than Love as well. I have Ultramega OK, but never listened to it enough to know the best songs off the top of my head.

strafer

amDbOmu.jpg

That guy must be in shock.

A friend of mine can be a bit..... inconsiderate is probably the right word. Basically he says "yeah ok, so a talented artist I have never heard of was depressed and is now dead. It sucks but maybe we should be thinking more of all the children in war torn countries fighting for their lives each and every day." and basically he always says something similar whenever a well known artist or actor dies. Like when Robin Williams passed away, Prince, Bowie and so on. His tune was a bit different when MJ passed away but only because he was aware of my appreciation for the man.

I just don't understand this kind of logic. Terrible things happen daily, hell probably ever single minute in this world but that doesn't make this any less insignificant or anything. It's clear that we think in a very different way about certain things.

The general mass hysteria in social media over famous people dying in the past 3-4 years has hit a point of absurdity if I am honest. I appreciate these people make magnificent work which has an impact on them. But the hysteria is completely hyperbolic and does a lot more damage than good. People need to get their shit together to an extent.

Massaki

Neo Member
a lot of rumours flying around that he accidentally choked himself with a rubber tube whilst trying to get a vein on his neck for a heroin hit rather than trying to actually commit suicide.

Solo

Damn, the lead singers of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden all dead from suicide (although not all intentional). That's fucking tragic. Eddie Vedder is the only one left.

The general mass hysteria in social media over famous people dying in the past 3-4 years has hit a point of absurdity if I am honest. I appreciate these people make magnificent work which has an impact on them. But the hysteria is completely hyperbolic and does a lot more damage than good. People need to get their shit together to an extent.
But realistically this has actually just garnered a pseudo-intellectual outrage about people being upset. As with the poster you've quoted I've seen incredibly pretentious remarks every time people die. Shit, at least on my Facebook I'm far more likely to see people making comments like the poster you quoted has seen than I am actually seeing people being upset.

I just don't get why people care if other people are upset other than using it as a jumping off point to make themselves feel clever and superior. I really don't see any evidence of 'hysteria', just a lot of people reflecting on the loss of a person which, through art, made a big impact on their lives. Music isn't just some arbitrary background thing, people find comfort in it; form their identities around and and, most of all, connect with the artists themselves. Of course people are upset but claiming there's 'hyperbolic hysteria' is quite ironically hyperbolic.

But realistically this has actually just garnered a pseudo-intellectual outrage about people being upset. As with the poster you've quoted I've seen incredibly pretentious remarks every time people die. Shit, at least on my Facebook I'm far more likely to see people making comments like the poster you quoted has seen than I am actually seeing people being upset.

I just don't get why people care if other people are upset other than using it as a jumping off point to make themselves feel clever and superior. I really don't see any evidence of 'hysteria', just a lot of people reflecting on the loss of a person which, through art, made a big impact on their lives. Music isn't just some arbitrary background thing, people find comfort in it; form their identities around and and, most of all, connect with the artists themselves. Of course people are upset but claiming there's 'hyperbolic hysteria' is quite ironically hyperbolic.

It sounds to me like you live in a wonderful echochamber of sensible people mate. Trust me, the people who get hysteric about this shit completely outweigh those who challenge the sentiment.

The whole "WHEN WILL 2016 END! 2016 YOU CRUEL MISTRESS YOU'VE TAKEN ANOTHER FAMOUS PERSON WHO WAS UTTERLY DECADENT FOR MOST OF THEIR LIVES AND HAS HAD A HEART FAILURE...HOW CAN THIS BE" - was mass hysteria. That's not hyperbolic on my behalf.

Anyway I'm sorry to discuss this here and I won't continue being a dick here.

Chris Cornell was a cool dude and shadow on the sun is one of my favourite tracks of all time.

ced

a lot of rumours flying around that he accidentally choked himself with a rubber tube whilst trying to get a vein on his neck for a heroin hit rather than trying to actually commit suicide.

It would be obvious to the police and examiner if this was the case, or if he accidentally choked doing erotic asphyxiation. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just say that's what happened.

PillarEN

Only played a tune or two from Chris' works yesterday. Today on my way somewhere I went through lots of Temple of the Dog material. The news is still a downer, but the music is sounding right. A little bit of reflection but mostly just enjoying the songs as I did before.

Massaki

Neo Member
It would be obvious to the police and examiner if this was the case, or if he accidentally choked doing erotic asphyxiation. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just say that's what happened.

Out of respect, not saying the allegations were true and I know we don't always know the motives/things an individual might be going through, but he's been fairly well grounded for the past 10 years, it just doesn't make sense.

If this were true (meaning his veins had collapsed and had to inject into the neck), he'd probably have visible needle marks on his arms/hands. Considering he was wearing a t shirt at the show and there doesn't appear to be anything, I think it's just dumb speculation.

Look at Staley, he wore sweaters and gloves to hide his condition. I've never done heroin but I think when people are using they try to cover it up.

He didn't seem right during the last show, I have to wonder if he was on something, perhaps that influenced his state of mind leading to the end? Rest in piece Chris, thank you for sharing your gift with us man. :(
Yeah, he definitely seems...different. It's hard to describe, but you can see it in the video.

His wife issued a statement, and apparently when they spoke over the phone he said he thought he may have taken an overdose of his anti-anxiety medication:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179

LakeEarth

The thing with Staley and Weiland is that they were so self destructive for so long, that their young deaths had a "cushion" of being expected, at least I was "mentally prepared" for their passings. This one is just out of nowhere, his demons never really bleeding into his professional/public life, it makes it tougher to get it out of my head.

AcridMeat

Banned
Here's a nice look at Cornell and Vedder doing "Hunger Strike" about two decades after they first broke onto the scene. They look happy together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKS6Fy2M_Q
D:
The thing with Staley and Weiland is that they were so self destructive for so long, that their young deaths had a "cushion" of being expected, at least I was "mentally prepared" for their passings. This one is just out of nowhere, his demons never really bleeding into his professional/public life, it makes it tougher to get it out of my head.
Cross posting this
Chris Cornell and Robin Williams.

I can't get this shit out of my head. Life is bearable until it isn't.

Damn, the lead singers of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden all dead from suicide (although not all intentional). That's fucking tragic. Eddie Vedder is the only one left.
I don't believe Layne or Weiland killed themselves via suicide. They both OD'd after years of drug use, but didn't end it like Cobain

Bandit1

His wife issued a statement, and apparently when they spoke over the phone he said he thought he may have taken an overdose of his anti-anxiety medication:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179

Man, reading that has me conflicted. On one hand you're glad that maybe he wasn't as miserable as you first thought when you heard "suicide." On the other, it's tragic thinking that taking too much of a medication that was supposed to help him put him in a state of mind where he did something he probably didn't really want to do. :(

If this were true (meaning his veins had collapsed and had to inject into the neck), he'd probably have visible needle marks on his arms/hands. Considering he was wearing a t shirt at the show and there doesn't appear to be anything, I think it's just dumb speculation.

Look at Staley, he wore sweaters and gloves to hide his condition. I've never done heroin but I think when people are using they try to cover it up.

Yeah, from what I know, Cornell was sober. Has been for decade plus.

In other news, I've been bawling my eyes out to "Like Suicide". Fucking hurtful revisiting that track.

Oidisco

Yeah, he definitely seems...different. It's hard to describe, but you can see it in the video.

This is horrifying, but at least he may not have been suffering from severe depression like we thought.

I did think it was odd that he sang "In My Time of Dying". He's sang it many times over the years, often mixed in with Slaves and Bulldozers at the end of a show. I guess it may have just been a coincidence. A really really really awful coincidence.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
On the subject of remaining great singers/vocalists of the Pacific NW scene you can't forget Mark Lanegan, who I'd say his voice rivals Cornell's though in a completely different way. His stuff with the Screaming Trees was very good but his solo career is on another level.

Steeven

I am a bit surprised that I still have a hard time dealing with Cornell's death. I guess he was way more of an inspiration to my musical tastes than I assumed until now. He helped me through some dark and rough times, ironically. Moreover, his music is one of the reasons I ultimately picked up a guitar and learned to play. Now I only have Josh Homme left.

You explained it perfectly. But I am guilty of being saying whatever when certain people have died in the media in the past year. But now I realize with Chris Cornell......Its the feelings of being a angsty teenager, sitting in highschool art class listening to soundgarden on repeat, never taking my headphones off walking through the hallways. Not only those memories but the feelings came rushing back when I heard the news. So I've just had his music going all day on spotify.

Metalmarc

Man i just found out Dave Mustaine sang Outshined last night in tribute to Chris, being a big Megadeth fan as well I thought this was awesome, he even said he couldnt ever sing like him, but he was gonna do a tribute to him anyway.

https://youtu.be/bhqMVNlPHE8

Not mine and mobile quality not the best

Nafai1123

Banned
Created a Cornell playlist on Spotify and listened to it all damn day yesterday. Now listening to all his live acoustic performances. Goddamn he was so fucking talented. This is hitting me harder than I expected. That Fell on Black Days acoustic performance is haunting.

I'll never forget seeing him live during the first Audioslave album days.

Solo

I don't believe Layne or Weiland killed themselves via suicide. They both OD'd after years of drug use, but didn't end it like Cobain

I guess I was stretching the semantics too far. You're right. Overdose isn't suicide per se, but it is self inflicted.

Top Bottom