• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring at GDC: Xbox sales flatlining in Europe, majority of Xbox games coming to PS5 at some point, MS putting less focus on GamePass

Killjoy-NL

If they leaked it right now ? For sure something would happen.

Do you guys even understand than when you put money in something, you are actually encouraging the activity as a whole ?
If a company has shit practices and you give them money, you are validating these practices, including the low investment in security they make, and accept them leaking your details.
Funny you should mention that, because that’s the reason Xbox is dying.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is exactly how it was in France, like it or not. PS3 were super unreliable as well.
Fantasy.

Warranty was also 3 years for Xbox here and you didn't have to pay anything,
20 months after launch, yes.

and initially it was 1 year as with all products in Europe back then.
Correct, and the return process wasn’t streamlined until July 2007 - if it broke before that time you still had to go through the process of contacting consumer support, hoping they’d agree to help and not charge you shipping and that it would be handled in a timely manner. You can simply Google ‘Xbox died 2006 X country’ and view all of the threads on this.

Like this one for example in the UK, which shares EU consumer protection laws.

We bought one of the first batches of Xbox 360 back in December 2005 - it was purchased from play.com (internetretailer) and was absolutely fine until it completely broke in November 2006 (still, obviously, within its normal warranty period).

The telephone advice from play.com was to contact Microsoft directly who would handle any necessary repair / replacement, and as I knew of other people who had followed this same route, it seemed easier, quicker and more expedient than trying to get play.com to act as an agent and simply ship the unit back to Microsoft themselves, delaying the repair and complicating the process.

Microsoft were pretty good, and were not able to repair the unit, so we were sent a replacement (presumably refurbished) unit which wasn't a problem, and it worked fine and was in cosmetically good condition (unlike some stories I've heard...)

However, the replacement Xbox 360 recently started showing symptoms of another fault (different this time) a couple of weeks ago. Microsoft say they only issue a 30 day warranty on the replacements they ship and won't be drawn into discussion about the matter.

PS3 was only 1 year but number of consoles had overheating issues (among others) past this date. Surely it wasn't like the 360 which was the most unreliable console ever, but the fact that you had yo wait weeks or even months to get a replacement was a complete joke. And your console would still die after 1 or 2 years and the warranty ended. Happened twice to me. Thankfully I knew well the shop owner (you know, the guy who had stacks of defective PS3) and we found a way to have my consoles dealt by the Sony warranty. Still had to wait tough...
We know based on the official figures that:

A. The chance of you suffering a yellow light of death on 2 brand new consoles is extremely low.

B. The chance of one shop in France having stacks of broken units at any one time is a statistical impossibility.

You’re also saying your consoles both died a year or 2 after the warranty but because you knew the shop owner you found a way to have it dealt with by Sony’s (expired) warranty. Sounds like a load of bull shit.

independently praise our technology, damnation of the enemies

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

If they leaked it right now ? For sure something would happen.

Do you guys even understand than when you put money in something, you are actually encouraging the activity as a whole ?
If a company has shit practices and you give them money, you are validating these practices, including the low investment in security they make, and accept them leaking your details.

I don't use Linkedin. No CC data was leaked by the way.

Well I said 10 years ago as you alluded to not being that active now anyway so you I'm sure you could drop MS/Nintendo easily now.

If Sony never bothered entering the gaming industry and Sega did well enough to carry on into the 2000s they probably would've been just as vulnerable or more so, Sony were naive for sure entering a new age. I think you give Sega a pass if they get hacked while playing your Dreamcast successor.

xHunter

You’re also saying your consoles both died a year or 2 after the warranty but because you knew the shop owner you found a way to have it dealt with by Sony’s (expired) warranty. Sounds like a load of bull shit.

PS Support: "Sir, your warranty has run out"
cireza: "I know a shop owner"
PS Support: "Say no more fam"

cireza

The chance of you suffering a yellow light of death on 2 brand new consoles is extremely low.
You don't need to have a YLOD or a RROD to have a failure that needs replacement.

B. The chance of one shop in France having stacks of broken units at any one time is a statistical impossibility.
It was a big shop and shops had to manage the logistics of taking back PS3s to send them to Sony, it was super annoying for them and this is how it was, like it or not.

I had my base PS3 die after 1 year and a few days, bought a slim at launch, and it started overheating during th 13th month of its life. Shit. Consoles.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
xbox is fine, they have 34 million subs on game pass as of last month that's all they care about. they're making money.
  1. You do realize that Xbox lost 3 million Game Pass subscribers, right?
  2. Also, Game Pass revenue is 10-15% of Xbox's total revenue.
So you mean to say the thing "that's all they care about" is the one that brings only 10-15% revenue, and they don't care about the stuff that makes 85-90% of revenue?

Some geniuses they are. No wonder they are in this mess.

Unknown?

This is exactly how it was in France, like it or not. PS3 were super unreliable as well.

Warranty was also 3 years for Xbox here and you didn't have to pay anything, and initially it was 1 year as with all products in Europe back then. PS3 was only 1 year but number of consoles had overheating issues (among others) past this date. Surely it wasn't like the 360 which was the most unreliable console ever, but the fact that you had yo wait weeks or even months to get a replacement was a complete joke. And your console would still die after 1 or 2 years and the warranty ended. Happened twice to me. Thankfully I knew well the shop owner (you know, the guy who had stacks of defective PS3) and we found a way to have my consoles dealt by the Sony warranty. Still had to wait tough...
If you felt not cared for as a consumer then you should have felt that way about the 360 regardless of anything. After all, they KNEW about the flaws and rushed it out anyway to beat Sony to market.

Doesn't matter if the warranty eventually got extended, they purposefully released a faulty console and didn't even admit there was a problem till later.

For us in the UK back then, when your Sony console failed, the shop you bought it from had nothing to do with it. Sony would collect it very quickly and replace it for you. Sucks for people in France, strange how you had to deal with the shop.

I don't know what the policy is now in UK and the rest of Europe.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You don't need to have a YLOD or a RROD to have a failure that needs replacement.

It was a big shop and shops had to manage the logistics of taking back PS3s to send them to Sony, it was super annoying for them and this is how it was, like it or not.

I had my base PS3 die after 1 year and a few days, bought a slim at launch, and it started overheating during th 13th month of its life. Shit. Consoles.
You support Xbox after millions of Xbox 360 died due to RROD, but won't support Sony after a PS3 died on you? 😄

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Celine

PS5 is only 0.8M behind PS4 as per january 2024, despite a pandemic and supply constraints for the first two years.

"PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 224,274 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,755,322 - PS5

Total Lead: 800,449 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 54,173,963

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 54,974,412"
Launch aligned PS5 is 2.50M units behind PS4 per the latest available quarterly data from Sony (December 2023):
BGTFnSe.jpeg

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Launch aligned PS5 is 2.50M units behind PS4 per the latest available quarterly data from Sony (December 2023):
BGTFnSe.jpeg
That's a bit bigger than the 0.8M gap as estimated by VGchartz, but nevertheless impressive considering the covid pandemic and 2 years of shortages for PS5.

Buying the XSX equals my decision to buy the Wii back in the days. Complete waste of money. Boggles my mind that they bought all those studios and then did NOTHING. Not only that, it’s almost as if they did less with each new studio.

What the hell is going on with that company? At this point I’m not sure if they don’t care or are just incompetent.
Both. They are definitely incompetent but they also don’t care to create anything new with all those studios. All they care about is buying up devs and their IP’s to flesh out their gamepass catalog. Then nothing. Zilch. No effort at all from them because it is who they are. They could have easily turned things around this gen with all the studios they had by creating must have games or at least trying. That would have pushed the brand and drew people in. So them not even trying to do that much shows they just don’t give a damn and have too much money for their own good. Phil should have been canned long ago after he made those stupid comments about great games not selling consoles for them. The man is so out of touch and grounded in his gamepass fantasy that he has killed the hardware and stagnated software sales while destroying the brand.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Fantasy.

20 months after launch, yes.

Correct, and the return process wasn’t streamlined until July 2007 - if it broke before that time you still had to go through the process of contacting consumer support, hoping they’d agree to help and not charge you shipping and that it would be handled in a timely manner. You can simply Google ‘Xbox died 2006 X country’ and view all of the threads on this.

Like this one for example in the UK, which shares EU consumer protection laws.

We bought one of the first batches of Xbox 360 back in December 2005 - it was purchased from play.com (internetretailer) and was absolutely fine until it completely broke in November 2006 (still, obviously, within its normal warranty period).

The telephone advice from play.com was to contact Microsoft directly who would handle any necessary repair / replacement, and as I knew of other people who had followed this same route, it seemed easier, quicker and more expedient than trying to get play.com to act as an agent and simply ship the unit back to Microsoft themselves, delaying the repair and complicating the process.

Microsoft were pretty good, and were not able to repair the unit, so we were sent a replacement (presumably refurbished) unit which wasn't a problem, and it worked fine and was in cosmetically good condition (unlike some stories I've heard...)

However, the replacement Xbox 360 recently started showing symptoms of another fault (different this time) a couple of weeks ago. Microsoft say they only issue a 30 day warranty on the replacements they ship and won't be drawn into discussion about the matter.

We know based on the official figures that:

A. The chance of you suffering a yellow light of death on 2 brand new consoles is extremely low.

Anecdotaly, I am french and remembers customers bringing back their broken 360 to a friends gameshop, the ps3 not so much,
anectodal evidence 2 a friend of mine went through 4 Xbox 360 in two years got tired of it breaking and bought a ps3, it still works to this day.

If this isn't the biggest sign of a brand slowly dying i don't know what is.

PS6 will be the only running the show alone. Even if MS releases a console, i don't see how they can turn this around. They know this. Otherwise their games wouldn't be on Playstation now.
I agree with this. Aren't Xbox looking into handhelds too? Maybe they move focus entirely over to that and have something capable of running all their Xbox title and PC games? No clue.

ToadMan

I don't understand the XBOX debacle right after they spent 70 billion on a top-5 IP, which should have brought them back to competition.

Instead, they are on a suicide run, lemming style.

This didn't just happen - it's been in the works for a long time. As Phil said before - ABK is an accelerant for their plans, not the only plan.

I think the ABK stuff was on the one hand opportunism, but now is going keep MS in gaming because the investment is too large to dismiss. Conversely it also has caused and allowed MS to ditch xbox custom hardware much faster than we expected.

The investment MS have made in gaming is too big to let wither on a non-competitve piece of hardware. They branched to PC, and that accelerated the fall of the hardware.

Now they're going third party accelerating the hardware decline even faster.

That $70bn for ABK is weighing them down - but the path was already laid - and they have to go third party now.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
With PC you get the luxury of overly expensive AND dealing with crap performance in a lot of cases, due to lack of optimization

A bunch of my PC only friends have moved over to console. They can’t keep up with $2000 gpus and pc hardware, and they get 60fps on consoles now
Bad ports can always have their settings changed in the menu, not to mention a bad port doesn't stay bad for long. Many cases of terrible launches getting better over the years.

But sure. Worse optimization (that can be bruteforced) and "shovelware" (that's actually for the most part good games.)
You also have to contend with

Emulation
The DIY culture thanks to upgrading
70 years of backwards compat
Modding
THE platform for competitive gaming
Easier and better content creation
A much superior social platform (not just Steam, but discord as well)
Sales. Tons of them
No paid online
Freedom of OS
the cutting edge in tech
And in general having a whole computer by your side. You can't make music or 3d model on a Playstation...

I keep restating that there's a whole lot more to PC than just prettier graphics, there's a reason it's the fastest growing gaming platform currently.

That being said I hope your friends enjoy consoles.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Makes sense to get rid of game pass if going full third party at some point. At that point, I’ll just up my GameFly rental subscription from 2 to maybe 3.

foamdino

I can definitely see a more PC-like xbox-next releasing early (late 2025 or 2026).

The "biggest power jump ever" sounds like they are going to make something with an MSRP > $800 (probably $999) and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother to subsidise it. I think they know that they have a core audience of xbox evangelists who will buy whatever they release and that's how they can make some money. They have attempted big subsidies (in two prior gens) to try to win market share and it hasn't worked (for a variety of reasons).

So why bother subsidising the next hw - simply sell it for a profit as you know you only have around ~20 million customers anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have some nvidia hw in this supposed next-box either - unlike Sony, Microsoft's back-compat isn't based on hw, there's a whole virtualisation layer so swapping gpu manufacturer would be possible (would be an utter pain for Sony).

Facism

For us in the UK back then, when your Sony console failed, the shop you bought it from had nothing to do with it. Sony would collect it very quickly and replace it for you. Sucks for people in France, strange how you had to deal with the shop.

I don't know what the policy is now in UK and the rest of Europe.

I took my RROD 360/YLOD PS3 back to the shops I bought them from, both failed within a year of purchase. My contract was with those shops, not Microsoft/Sony. Both replaced instore. They return the faulty good back to manufacturer for their own refunds/replacements.

Bit of stubborn moaning needed but statutory rights are rights they need to follow. Don't get fobbed off by some jobsworth twats and their cunt managers trying to tell you different. All they got out of it was a lost customer.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

To play devil's advocate, it is well documented that pretty much all fat PS3's are unreliable and prone to failure. I believe the last revision of the PS3 fat is a little bit better in this regard but still prone.

This is due to an issue with the gpu design that affected a bunch of electronics back then. Basically all launch PS3s are running on a timer and will succumb to said issue eventually. Mantaining a back compat PS3 nowadays requires a bunch of stuff, swapping the power supply with a later revision, using custom OS to monitor fan curves and temps, replacing capacitors and eventually doing a process called frankenstein which they will swap the RSX GPU with one of the slim model chips that isn't prone to failure. It's an expensive process not many people can do.

Now, the slim and superslim are extremely reliable.

Last edited:
If you transact online your data is out there. Period.

The big leaks we hear about are just that, the ones we hear about.

Be vigilant, use an authenticator app, and some other form of two-factor auth.

This conversation is being had by people who have little to no knowledge of the topic and then somehow being used to leverage a position in console warring.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Yet stales staggered for all 3 during the holidays, sales staggering isnt good when youve hit 53m with 0 intentions of cutting prices, infact in this current climate i really doubt ms or sony will ever cut until the next consoles are out
Give it up. If it weren't for the restrictions, it would be on point to beat the PS4. And... it's still got a great chance to outsell the PS4.

To say the PS5 has underperformed is pretty stupid.

skyfinch

This shit wouldn't happen if they would just get off their ass and port Uncharted and Foamstars to Xbox. Phil is a lazy. Handsome, but lazy.

damidu

This shit wouldn't happen if they would just get off their ass and port Uncharted and Foamstars to Xbox. Phil is a lazy. Handsome, but lazy.
unfortunately he is so lazy, not even handsome anymore. dude turned to a literal blob in front of our eyes.
probably xbox stress induced binge eating syndrome.

skyfinch

unfortunately he is so lazy, not even handsome anymore. dude turned to a literal blob in front of our eyes.
probably xbox stress induced binge eating syndrome.
Handsome is a matter of opinion. I dream of cuddling next to him after a few rounds of Foamstars, then asking Matt Booty to order up some Chinese food.

This is revisionist history at best and outright trying to manipulate the truth at worst.

Microsoft downplayed 360 technical faults for 20 months after launch.

If your launch console died outside of the 90 day warranty, you had to pay shipping and repair costs. It was only in July 2007 that they extended it to a 3 year warranty and took a $1b hit.

For everyone’s reference, Sony reported that the yellow ring of death affected around 0.5% of consoles. Estimates on the RRoD range from 24% to 54%.

Stacks of broken PS3s my arse.
Not only that, but over half the fucking things were failing quality control on the assembly line before release and Microsoft made the decision to launch anyway, with full awareness of the issue.
And mf'ers want to come into this thread and paint sony with the "disrespecting consumers" horseshit.

I think that was just one month (April 2022 or 2023 or something). It's much closer now, I think Series X is selling more than S these days.
Of course the X is selling better now.
For the first few years of this gen the choice was between a Series S at retail for $300 and a ps5/series x for $800+ from ebay/facebook marketplace because of the shortages.

cireza

We all got a copy of Dead Nation for that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I picked Wipeout. But this certainly wasn't a good compensation for all the time I lost when some random guy bought shit on the internet on whatever site that did not require to enter the 3 numbers behind the card, reaching the ceiling I was authorized for, and after which I had to call the bank, then go to the police to make a plaint, and then waste more time with my bank so that the insurance would refund me, and finally got a new CC which was another annoyance on top of everything. All of this for a console that was only a second choice. Fuck this. Didn't even play the game.

Now, the slim and superslim are extremely reliable.
Not the first batch of slim, this is documented as well I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom