• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian woman stripped naked and paraded through streets by mob

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

The 300-strong mob of Muslim men in rural Egypt also burned down seven homes belonging to Orthodox Coptic families, over rumours of an affair between a local Christian man and a Muslim woman.

A 70-year-old Christian woman has been stripped naked, beaten and paraded through the streets by a mob of around 300 Muslim men in a village in southern Egypt.

The mob also burned down seven homes belonging to Christian families, according to an unusually outspoken statement issued by the local Orthodox Coptic church, after rumours circulated in the village that a Christian man was having a relationship with a Muslim woman.

The violence started at around 8pm on 20 May, and the local diocese said it was two hours before police responded, by which point the mob had already dispersed.

Coptic Christians: Who are they – and why have then been targeted by
The woman who was stripped naked was reported to be the mother of the man involved in the rumoured affair. She has since met with church leaders, the Diocese of Minya and Abu Qirqas said.

The violence is representative of the tensions between the two religions in the province south of Cairo, where extra-marital affairs between Muslims and Christians are strictly taboo.

But it appears the Coptic church has finally had enough of what they say is unfair treatment from the authorities over such cases. Christians only make up around 10 per cent of Egypt’s population, the majority being Muslim.

And speaking in an uncharacteristically candid TV interview on Wednesday night, Minya’s most senior cleric Anba Makarios said the response if it had been a Muslim man having an affair with a Christian woman “would not have been anything like what happened”.

The elderly woman meats with church leaders to discuss the mob's actions, in this image released by the Diocese of Minay and Abu Qirqas
He said police had been warned the day before of threats towards the Christian family from villagers, yet gave the mob “ample time” to do whatever they wanted.

“No one did anything and the police took no pre-emptive or security measures in anticipation of the attacks,” he said. “We are not living in a jungle or a tribal society. It's incorrect for anyone to declare himself judge, police and ruler.”

Cairo: Women lead to safety from angry mob after mosque attacked
The local governor in Minya, Tarek Nasser, has tried to play down the incident, despite multiple security officials confirming to the Associated Press that a woman was beaten and insulted while being paraded through the village.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-paraded-through-streets-by-mob-a7049926.html

pgtl_10

I'very seen anger when a Christian man has an affair with a Muslim women. Religious discrimination and seismic all in one.

Wgh7ftc.gif

The local governor in Minya, Tarek Nasser, has tried to play down the incident, despite multiple security officials confirming to the Associated Press that a woman was beaten and insulted while being paraded through the village.

Mr Nasser denied the elderly woman was stripped naked, and accused the Muslim Brotherhood of “exploiting” the situation which, he said, was always going to be “sensitive” when it involved an alleged relationship between a Muslim and a Christian.

“Some irrational youths threw flammable missiles at the houses of Christians in the village and some women ran away in their nightgowns,” he said, adding that the matter was being resolved.
10243620.jpg

Boney

Banned
I'm amazed she managed to get protected and saved her life in the end, that poor woman and repressed minorities. The police allowing thus to happen and the prime minister downplaying it is disgusting and is not going to help the rising tensions between Muslims and Christians.
3rd World mob mentality is a sight to behold. The rural variety tends to be even more vicious.

That poor old lady :/
Fuck off with that shit. It's beyond condescending and ignorant.

I'm amazed she managed to get protected and saved her life in the end, that poor woman and repressed minorities. The police allowing thus to happen and the prime minister downplaying it is disgusting and is not going to help the rising tensions between Muslims and Christians.

Fuck off with that shit. It's beyond condescending and ignorant.

If you have read any of orochi91
's past posts in any thread relating to Islam/Muslims he has a knack for wordplay as a means to deflect from the honest hard truths with what's happening in the world regarding his culture/faith.

What happened to this women is tragic and despicable, instead of immediate condemnation as one of the first posts, we're greeted with a mealy mouth wordy excuse about "the third world." Truly sad.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This is the reason why I'll never go visit my country of birth (left as a baby). The treatment of Coptic Egyptians by Muslims is beyond horrible.

orochi91

's past posts in any thread relating to Islam/Muslims he has a knack for wordplay as a means to deflect from the honest hard truths with what's happening in the world regarding his culture/faith.

What happened to this women is tragic and despicable, instead of immediate condemnation as one of the first posts, we're greeted with a mealy mouth wordy excuse about "the third world." Truly sad.

What does rural Middle-Eastern culture have to do with me, someone who's grown and raised in a Secular society (Canada)?

This is now the second time you've insinuated some malicious intent on my part, across 2 different threads, and have pointlessly attacked me on a personal level.

Cut that shit out or I'm reporting you to a mod.

Also, did you miss the part where I expressed concern for the woman in question? Do you selectively parse through my (and I'm assuming other peoples') posts?

Hey. Fuck off with this "his culture" shit. Islamic scholars preserving ancient Western writings during the Dark Ages is the only reason we even have a culture. And our culture fucking up the Middle East is why they are like they are now. And are we really any better? No. We are just more controlled. I live in the American South. People used to get lynched here for being the wrong kind of person, loving the wrong kind of person. And that was not even 100 years ago. And no one says that was because of "American culture" either or even Christian culture, though you better believe these murderers went to church every Sunday. They say it's Southern culture. Because we are rural. Because we are third world. If you want to hate on Muslims, whatever. Be that way. We can't stop you. But don't pretend like you care about people.

Kozak

Banned
Thats fucked up.

We should really do something as a united world about this.

Do any governments think this sort of treatment of their people is okay?

these barbarians are the same ones that will tell you "but islam is a religion of peace!"

No they're not. These are the ones will tell you "DEATH TO THE INFIDELS"

Thats fucked up.

We should really do something as a united world about this.

Do any governments think this sort of treatment of their people is okay?

minority groups and women are attacked all the time in certain areas BECAUSE the government doesn't care enough.

Dryk

Hey. Fuck off with this "his culture" shit. Islamic scholars preserving ancient Western writings during the Dark Ages is the only reason we even have a culture. And our culture fucking up the Middle East is why they are like they are now. And are we really any better? No. We are just more controlled. I live in the American South. People used to get lynched here for being the wrong kind of person, loving the wrong kind of person. And that was not even 100 years ago. And no one says that was because of "American culture" either or even Christian culture, though you better believe these murderers went to church every Sunday. They say it's Southern culture. Because we are rural. Because we are third world. If you want to hate on Muslims, whatever. Be that way. We can't stop you. But don't pretend like you care about people.
It's very easy to see the parallels. Collectively punishing a community because an uppity Christian man came and took their women.

Another thing that's really fucked up is the fact that the woman who was stripped naked was the MOTHER of the guy who committed adultery. She didn't even have anything to do with the stupid fucking situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom