• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan criticizes Netflix's digital distribution model for movies

MutFox

Banned
I'm all for the theatre experience.
Some movies need that theatre experience.

That's why I have built my own home theatre.

It's like in gaming, there's people that care about resolution/framerate.
Then there's the casuals that don't.

Casual movie watchers can easily watch on their mobile device.
That's not for me.

EGM1966

OK.

Movie theaters are an oligopoly, and use their industry position to exert control over the distribution of movies in order to protest their own financial interests.

Netflix disrupts this by undermining their control over distribution.

This is a good thing for consumers.

I don't see Netflix wanting to make movies available via streaming as a the problem, I see movie theaters wanting them not to as a problem.

If the only business model that is sustainable for movie theaters is to lock down distribution, I think they should probably evaluate their strategy and be more innovative. The only real alternative is walking down the road to irrelevancy.

Edit: FWIW, I love going to the movie theater. Nearest one is 4 hours away, so I don't go very often. I'd still like the option to pay to stream/download more new movies.
Thanks.

Agreed in principle. As I noted I feel you should have streaming and theatres co-existing. In terms of distribution it does vary though and I don't use main distributors cinemas so I don't see it as "all" theatres though.

I think though Nolan's angle isn't that. He's merely arguing give the films a decent shot for theatrical recognition as Amazon does. Netflix films do seem to struggle to be seen as "proper" theatrical releases at least that's my perception.

i think this issue isn't down to distribution so much as current critical thinking and evaluation. Netflix films by default feel like they're labelled "made for TV" vs other theatrical films.

I fell there needs to be change there: and that might require some compromise from a Netflix too at least initially (maybe a one week theatre run before streaming for example)

Ultimately I feel there's two (we'll probably more than two but that's simplest angle) demographics in play here: those that want to see a film properly projected in a theatre offering an experience in excess of majority of home setups and those who prefer access from home and are happy with home setup and are looking for that experience.

My preferred model would see something that encompasses both vs the sense of competing models currently.

Top Bottom